PDA

View Full Version : Attn: MotoF150: Cowher held the Steelers Back?

Stlrs4Life
09-21-2007, 10:48 PM
http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2007/...steelers-back/ (http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2007/09/20/did-cowher-hold-steelers-back/)Did Cowher Hold Steelers Back?

http://www.aolcdn.com/fanhouse/jj-cooper/ (http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/bloggers/jj-cooper/)Posted Sep 20th 2007 7:25AM by JJ Cooper (http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/bloggers/jj-cooper/)
Filed under: Steelers (http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/category/pittsburgh-steelers/), AFC North (http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/category/afc-north/), Pittsburgh (http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/category/pittsburgh/)
Bill Cowher was respected by his team, but now that he's gone, the players don't seem to be missing him too much. In fact, you're hearing a lot of players spout off about how the new coaching staff has freed up the Steelers to reach the best of their ability.

First it was the special teams players saying that the Steelers have fixed their problems because there is a more focused approach to special teams now that Cowher has been replaced by Mike Tomlin. Now a lot of the defense's stars are saying that their domination in the first two games is because Cowher's no longer around to put the handcuffs on Dick LeBeau, as Ed Bouchette explains in today's Post-Gazette (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07263/819027-66.stm?cmpid=steelers.xml).
Players and coaches, on and off the record, say LeBeau has the freedom to call what he wants, when he wants under Tomlin, a freedom he did not previously have under Cowher. "I do, I do," defensive end Brett Keisel said. "I think he's getting to call whatever he wants, and the call is sticking."
While Cowher may have been respected by his players, the defense loves LeBeau, and it's also clear that they believe he's a defensive genius who will stay a step ahead of opposing offensive coordinators. We won't know how much of a help unshackling LeBeau will be until the Steelers have faced some tougher offenses, but in the first two games, LeBeau has had the ability to throw out a little of everything. Given that chance he's been quite aggressive. Pittsburgh sent five or more pass rushers on 17 of the 31 Bills called pass plays last week, with a variety of linebacker and defensive back blitzes.

What's also apparent in the first two games is that the Steelers are playing more players on defense. In the past the backup defensive linemen would spell the starters for a few snaps each quarter, but this year they've subbed the entire defensive line for series at a time with no real dropoff. Anthony Smith and Ryan Clark are splitting time at safety and LaMarr Woodley is getting playing time as a backup outside linebacker. In addition to keeping people fresh, it also should help the Steelers depth in case of injury, as Woodley, Smith, Chris Hoke, Nick Eason and Travis Kirschke are playing enough to be ready to simply step in if someone goes down.

No doubt in my mind, I am so glad Cowher is gone.

BlitzburghRockCity
09-21-2007, 11:02 PM
:popcorn:

AZ_Steeler
09-22-2007, 01:53 AM
:dunno: :popcorn2:

TampaSteelGirl
09-22-2007, 04:06 AM
:stirpot:

:jawdrop: Just because I love this smiley!!!! :greengrin:

Stairwayto7
09-22-2007, 05:48 AM
:hail::hail::hail::hail::hail::hail::popcorn:

BlitzburghRockCity
09-22-2007, 06:03 AM
and still :popcorn:

MotoF150
09-22-2007, 06:19 AM
I cannot believe how you guys cut down and stab Bill Cowher in the back!
Last year you same guys said Bill Cowher was the greastest coach the Steelers ever had!
Cutting him down is blasphamy!

BlitzburghRockCity
09-22-2007, 06:48 AM
Your posts appear to be what is considered blasphemy...blasphemy against contributing anything postitive to this forum.

StlersGuy
09-22-2007, 06:54 AM
Last year you same guys said Bill Cowher was the greastest coach the Steelers ever had!

does you mommy know you are on the computer :popcorn:

http://terraflora.files.wordpress.com/2007/06/i_see_dumb_people.jpg

steelersgal86
09-22-2007, 08:17 AM
Your posts appear to be what is considered blasphemy...blasphemy against contributing anything postitive to this forum.

:ditto:

BBG7
09-22-2007, 10:40 AM

No one said he was the best...I think Noll bringing home 4 SBs is a little better than the one Cowher had (and he had the team to do a lot more...but he played scared in the Championship games). Cowher choked so many times. Steelers fans were just accustomed to his chin on the sidelines. Now it's time for a new coach, one that is not on a power trip and lets his coordinators do their job. It's Tomlin's team now, and I for one think he is going to have major sucess with the Steelers. Cowher who????

floodcitygirl
09-22-2007, 10:45 AM
Your posts appear to be what is considered blasphemy...blasphemy against contributing anything postitive to this forum.When the owner of the board makes this comment, I'm envisioning a :buttkick: somewhere in the near future. lol

BlackGold4vr
09-22-2007, 11:03 AM
When the owner of the board makes this comment, I'm envisioning a :buttkick: somewhere in the near future. lol

:plus1:

Won't come soon enough IMO!

AZ_Steeler
09-22-2007, 12:15 PM

How do you know what was being said last year... you didn't join until September of this year and I highly doubt you went back to read anything!

StlersGuy
09-22-2007, 12:30 PM
How do you know what was being said last year... you didn't join until September of this year and I highly doubt you went back to read anything!

now AZ you know bungals fans can not read

Black@Gold Forever32
09-22-2007, 12:32 PM

Ok Bill Cowher was 2-4 in AFC title games....Whoever thought he was the greatest coach in Steelers history deserves to be shot.....:lol: He was a very good HC but it was time for both parties to move on...

Do you remember all those AFC title game losses? I know I sure do and I'm still pissed about them.....:lol:

BBG7
09-22-2007, 12:44 PM
Do you remember all those AFC title game losses? I know I sure do and I'm still pissed about them.....:lol:

I'm sure he doesn't...he probably doesn't even know there's football in Jan.!!! But I remember them like they were yesterday...and I cringe when I think about them!

Black@Gold Forever32
09-22-2007, 12:55 PM
I'm sure he doesn't...he probably doesn't even know there's football in Jan.!!! But I remember them like they were yesterday...and I cringe when I think about them!

The 94 loss to the Chargers still gets to me bad....lol I know the Steelers were better then the Chargers that year....That defense with Greg Lloyd,Kevin Greene, Chad Brown, LeVon Kirkland,Ray Seals, Joel Steed,Rod Woodson, Carnell Lake and Darren Perry was just awesome...I think the Steelers would have gave the 49ers a game in the Super Bowl that year....

FC FURY
09-22-2007, 01:13 PM
Let me tell you about some Bill Cowher.

The FC part of my posting name has been in use since the 1998 season..

Means F U -K Cowher

I hated the man....I believe the man had pictures of Dan Rooney in compromising situations to keep his job.

Then Bill was blessed...Actually not blessed over ruled.

See on draft day 2004..Bill Cowher envisioned his next super star...Thats right... RT Shawn Andrews of the Arkansas Razorbacks...Thankfully Cowher had recently lost some player personel control to Kevin Colbert..Colbert said no freaking way you dumb mill hunk(Pittsburghese for dumb SOB)..I want Ben Roethlisberger of Miami of Ohio..Art Jr and Dan Rooney had to break the tie...And we have history.

I hope Cowher gets another job...I hope its in Cleveland...I want to throw bottles filled with **** on him from the stairway of Heinz Field...But that's just me

DBR96A
09-22-2007, 01:18 PM
Sometimes change allows people to put things in perspective. I believe that Bill Cowher was an excellent coach, but after having time to reflect on our 2006 season, and on Cowher's performance and tendencies over the years, I believe that Cowher had a few noticeable flaws. Among them:

1. He learned a little bit too well from Marty Schottenheimer when it came to coaching in the playoffs. I don't think it's any coincidence that Cowher got his ring after taking a more hands-off approach, and letting the coordinators do their jobs.

2. He exhibited favoritism. He seemed to award starting jobs based on tenure instead of merit. Certain players were "more equal" than others, and other players were made scapegoats for no legitimate reason.

3. He didn't do a good job developing QBs. I understand that Neil O'Donnell burnt him in Super Bowl XXX, and I understand the Kordell Stewart experiment blew up in his face, but apparently those two events traumatized him so much that he later proved incapable of seeing a good thing (Ben Roethlisberger) even if it helped him get back to the Super Bowl.

4. His teams weren't always focused or prepared. Sure, they were most of the time, but not all the time, and this was made evident by the typical slow starts to most seasons, some close games against inferior opponents, and the fact that nine other teams (judging by Cowher's post-season record) were more focused and more prepared in the playoffs.

While I'm thankful that Cowher finally got us "one for the thumb," and while I do believe he's bound for the Pro Football Hall of Fame, I also believe that change can do us good, even though we were already in a good position to begin with. When I see Mike Tomlin, I see someone who goes that extra distance when it comes to focus and preparation, which is something that Cowher didn't always do. I also see someone who awards starting jobs based on merit. If Cowher were still here, do you think Willie Colon would be starting at RT? Do you think Ike Taylor would be given another chance? Somehow I don't think so. One thing that both Cowher and Tomlin have in common is charisma, but even then, they both take different approaches. Cowher is an emotional guy who gets people fired up. People buy into Tomlin's cool self-assuredness. Like someone else said on these boards, Mike Tomlin combines the best of Bill Cowher with the best of Chuck Noll. That's why I believe a change has done us very good.

BlitzburghRockCity
09-22-2007, 01:32 PM
The 94 loss to the Chargers still gets to me bad....lol I know the Steelers were better then the Chargers that year....That defense with Greg Lloyd,Kevin Greene, Chad Brown, LeVon Kirkland,Ray Seals, Joel Steed,Rod Woodson, Carnell Lake and Darren Perry was just awesome...I think the Steelers would have gave the 49ers a game in the Super Bowl that year....

You're darn right we could have given the 49ers a better game in the SB than the bolts did. That team was an overachieving joke who won because we overlooked them and didn't play to our potential and blew it at the last minute. That still pisses me off man, trust me !

TEEMONT
09-22-2007, 01:55 PM
man you guys let urself get soooo riled up over one dude's opinion.

who really gives a ****.....?

BlitzburghRockCity
09-22-2007, 02:01 PM
Cuz it's funny to see him try and pull off being a Steelers fan when everybody on here is calling him out :lol:

StlersGuy
09-22-2007, 02:46 PM
Cuz it's funny to see him try and pull off being a Steelers fan when everybody on here is calling him out :lol:

hey we are just trying to help him out after all he has been in the closet for a while now and it can not be healthy..:greengrin:

MotoF150
09-22-2007, 03:10 PM
Lets agree on one thing! Nobody expects the Steelers to have a winning season this year. Its a new coach that never proved himself yet.
Oct 2007 issue of Playboy NFL Preview:
For the first time in 15 seasons Bill Cowher won't be pacing the Pittsburgh sideline. Cowher won eight division titles and a Super Bowl as a head Steeler. His handsome mug will surely be missed.

Black@Gold Forever32
09-22-2007, 03:16 PM
Lets agree on one thing! Nobody expects the Steelers to have a winning season this year. Its a new coach that never proved himself yet.
For the first time in 15 seasons Bill Cowher won't be pacing the Pittsburgh sideline. Cowher won eight division titles and a Super Bowl as a head Steeler. His handsome mug will surely be missed.

Playboy Magazine now thats a mag with some serious NFL rep....:lol::lol::lol: The Steelers are already 2-0....They only need 7 more wins out of 14 games to have a winning season....lol After they beat the Niners tomorrow then they will be 3-0.....

Iron City South
09-22-2007, 03:16 PM

We lost a helluva lot more AFC Championship Games as a result of Cowher's "turtle" ball coaching style, terrible game planning, and absent half-time adjustments than we should have.

As far as the '05 Playoff run and SB XL ... we won in spite of Cowher, not because of him. Ben Roeth finally influenced him to take the handcuffs off, forcing cowher to move away from his conservative coaching style and start playing aggressive "play to win" ball.

AZ_Steeler
09-22-2007, 03:28 PM

Cowher hadn't proved himself and he went to playoffs his first year... what do you gotta say about that?

MotoF150
09-22-2007, 03:35 PM
excuse me, for over 20 years Playboy Magazine has been picking it right with their NFL predictions, and they have been always getting it right, they use\ get their information from the Las Vegas Bookies.
Baltimore is going to win our division, wild cards will be Cincinnati, and Denver. AFC Champ will be New England, and the Super Bowl will be New England over New Orleans

BlitzburghRockCity
09-22-2007, 03:37 PM
So just because playboy says it, that means it's true...you sure you didn't miss pages that were sticking together or something in your last issue dude?

Vegas isn't always right either man so if that's all got then it's no wonder everybody on this forum thinks you're a joke.

StlersGuy
09-22-2007, 04:25 PM
ok thats it he is for sure a bungals fan since well he is going off of what playboy says

seth_westover
09-22-2007, 04:58 PM
did anyone happen to see that the superbowl included the "AINTS" lol! thats some funny **** right there!! the saints have a long road ahead of them right now! hell they're 0-2 in a divison where they've already lost to the bucs! we know the falcons suck, but the bucs and the panthers are good teams! they're gonna have a tough road! i seriously doubt they will make it to the big show!! THEY HAVE ABSOLUTLY ****** D!!! u gotta have some kind of d to win the big game!

I know there's gonna be some to say, well what about the colts? **** THAT! the colts d plays good when BOB SANDERS is playing! that one person makes the difference! with him they have a good d! without him, THE ****IN SUCK AND ALLOW LIKE 500 YARDS RUSHING!

black an gold 4 life
09-22-2007, 08:03 PM
listen i told un all COWARD STINKS he was an good regular season coach but he suck azz n the playoffs his record speaks 4 himself then all the hating he has done done on the steelers this year i wonder what he will say when pittburgh wins the super bowl this year lol lol lol

seth_westover
09-22-2007, 08:14 PM
he'll make up some bullshit excuse like, o well the talent of the teams was low this year, or we got lucky, or that the refs had to do with our success, or that we're all on steriods, or that we made a deal with satan!!

he'll come up with something!!

SteelerFan87
09-22-2007, 11:30 PM
Was Bill Cowher a good coach?
2 Super Bowl appearances, 1 ring
BEST RECORD IN THE NFL FOR THE 15 YEARS HE WAS HEAD COACH.

Anyone who thinks Cowher sucked is an idiot, plain and simple.

seth_westover
09-22-2007, 11:33 PM
im not saying that bill was a bad coach! hell hes the only coach ive ever seen as the steelers coach!! he was great!! but he was way to conservative and he wasnt clutch in the big games!! i loved bill! but hes been a complete dick head since he resigned!!

Stlrs4Life
09-22-2007, 11:34 PM
Qoute MotoF150:

"I cannot believe how you guys cut down and stab Bill Cowher in the back!
Cutting him down is blasphamy!"

Stabbed him in the back? By that article which is very believable. It sounds like Cowher stabbed every fan, player and Rooney in the back and turned it. Last season wasn't all of his fault, but alot lies in his hands obviously. I for one never said he was the greatest HC of the Steelers, Noll holds that one. But I do, and did appreciate what Cowher did for the Steelers as a HC. Just thought how wrong he was for saying all season long stringing people out about what his intentions were.

------------------------------------------------------------
[AutoMerged Post Below]
------------------------------------------------------------

Amen Top Gun.:bigthumb:

BlitzburghRockCity
09-22-2007, 11:37 PM
I think it's safe to assume that nearly everyone on this site appreciates what BC did for us. Im glad we got our 1 for the thumb, Im glad that we were competitive most of the years he was our coach. He did a lot for the city and the fans. When it comes right down to it though, BC had as many drawbacks as he did positives. I wonder how much more success we could have had if he hadn't been so stubborn and set in doing things HIS way instead of being open to more options in the game plan and personnel decisions.

Stlrs4Life
09-22-2007, 11:45 PM
So true.

Black@Gold Forever32
09-23-2007, 12:25 AM
I think it's safe to assume that nearly everyone on this site appreciates what BC did for us. Im glad we got our 1 for the thumb, Im glad that we were competitive most of the years he was our coach. He did a lot for the city and the fans. When it comes right down to it though, BC had as many drawbacks as he did positives. I wonder how much more success we could have had if he hadn't been so stubborn and set in doing things HIS way instead of being open to more options in the game plan and personnel decisions.

:plus1:

I agree with everything that was written in this post....

BlitzburghNation
09-23-2007, 01:37 AM
Man we are still going on this cowher thing "wow"

I really loved Bill & as we all know alot of our losses in afc championship games were because of our QB play,,,,,,,even our loss in superbowl xxx

But as much as I respected him & in some playoff games he was way to conservative & dependent on the run "when the run was not there"

It was time for a change "bill" knew it,,,,,,,,management knew it,,,,,,Players also and alot of fans knew it !
Hell when I watched his retirement speech on nfl network " I had a tear roll down the side of my face"

In my book Bill "the chin" Cowher will always be a steeler and as long as he doesn't coach any afc north team or the cowgirls,,,,,,,,I'll wish him all the best :bigthumb:

Change is not always bad & we had him for many years "we all are adapting to this change"

I'm pumped about our new outlook and hopes of winning that 6th title,,,,,,,
If not this year maybe within the next 2 years "who knows"

I've moved on & excepted our new coach with open arms & so far he's doing a great job :towelwave:

GO STEELERS :towelwave: