PDA

View Full Version : I'm ANGRY now!!!

DBR96A
09-21-2007, 07:34 PM
Check this garbage out! (http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/insider/columns/story?columnist=horton_gary&id=3029100&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnfl %2finsider%2fcolumns%2fstory%3fcolumnist%3dhorton_ gary%26id%3d3029100)

4. Pittsburgh Steelers

These are vintage Steelers. They run the ball with a physical style, play an attacking defense that punishes opponents and ask QB Ben Roethlisberger to manage the game and utilize a very effective play-action package off the run game. They don't give up big plays on defense and may be the best in the league at creating turnovers. As strange as it sounds, this is almost a tougher and more physical team than it ever was under Bill Cowher. If everything else is clicking, the Steelers don't have to be great in the passing game because they will control the clock and tempo. All they need Big Ben to do is manage the game and limit turnovers -- a strong recipe for playoff success.

:cursin:

K Train
09-21-2007, 07:38 PM
its true lol

strong D
09-21-2007, 07:39 PM
its true lol

:yesnod::yesnod::yesnod: :bigthumb:

Black@Gold Forever32
09-21-2007, 07:44 PM
its true lol

it might be true but it just goes to show Big Ben will never get any credit no matter if he makes plays with the limited chances he gets.....

DBR96A
09-21-2007, 07:50 PM
People are still loath to give Terry Bradshaw any credit, even though he's a two-time Super Bowl MVP, and quite possibly the most underrated big-game QB in NFL history.

AZ_Steeler
09-21-2007, 07:52 PM
:scratch: we don't want Ben to be a Vince Young or John Elway... we want the games to be out of reach by the third quarter to avoid any heroic comebacks. Ben needs to go out and make the plays happen that are called and throw it away when there is nothing down field rather than forcing the issue.

black an gold 4 life
09-21-2007, 07:53 PM
honestly it's true

K Train
09-21-2007, 07:56 PM
i want him to go out there and be a clutch player like he has been forever. managing a game is what ALL QBs do, its not like by saying that you are saying hes incapable of making plays

Black@Gold Forever32
09-21-2007, 07:59 PM
i want him to go out there and be a clutch player like he has been forever. managing a game is what ALL QBs do, its not like by saying that you are saying hes incapable of making plays

Well many media types, fans across the NFL then Ben is just an average QB at best and does nothing...lol

BlitzburghRockCity
09-21-2007, 08:06 PM
Managing the game used to mean, just basically don't go out and lose it for us. That was then, this is Tomlin ! Ben is asked to do a lot more now and I think he's up for the challenge. We need Ben to be on target consistently and use the weapons around him. We can't just have Ben not lose the game but rather he needs to take control and make the plays we need to move the change. We're not a 3 yds and a cloud of dust any more...we're much more balanced now, FINALLY ! :cope:

FC FURY
09-21-2007, 08:07 PM
I say...

Believe everything you see on the Football field.. and little that you read

I promise you 90% of the posters on this board know more about the Pittsburgh Steelers then big media.

You have 1 team to learn and be passionate about...They have 32 teams.

SteelersWoman
09-21-2007, 08:30 PM
its true lol

Agreed.

it might be true but it just goes to show Big Ben will never get any credit no matter if he makes plays with the limited chances he gets.....

And agreed. While everyone talks about how "great" Tom, Peyton, and Carson are, it's like Ben's completely off the media's radar! And he's either beaten records they have, or has matched them, and he's over 100 QB rating right now--which is considered NORMally to be considered a GREAT QB (and he's beating Peyton's QB rating right now). So no, no matter WHAT Ben does, he'll never get credit for it.

I say...

I promise you 90% of the posters on this board know more about the Pittsburgh Steelers then big media.

Just wanted to say GREAT post.

GoBenGo
09-21-2007, 08:49 PM
All this discussion over a guy who is only in his 4thyear. Look at the other dudes that went before him and after , for that matter. (see : Eli).
Heck check the stats of Montana, Terry, Peyton, Marino, etc in their 4th year! Any 2nd year world champs there? Anyone else lead a conquest through enemy territory 3 weeks in a row ? Anyone do it at a younger age?
Ben ISthe next big thing. This is a dynasty in the making!
THE REAL DEAL!

------------------------------------------------------------
[AutoMerged Post Below]
( this was not a rant directed at any SA meber btw, it's for the "outsiders" who do not recognize)

Stlrs4Life
09-21-2007, 11:23 PM
It isn't really knocking Ben at all. and is true. I think people read too much into things now a days.

BlitzburghRockCity
09-22-2007, 12:09 AM
I say...

Ain't that the truth ! I'd believe the insight from any one of a number of members on this board before I'd ever believe a sports journalist more. We live our passion of the Steelers 24/7. We study it, watch the games, talk about it, look up stats; we live eat and breathe Steelers football and I wouldn't want it any other way than talking black n gold with the members on this board :woot:

TampaSteelGirl
09-22-2007, 05:10 AM
I get so pissed and I"m sick and tired of hearing how great Carson Palmer is....he's not that much better than Ben!!!! I think Ben's up there on the list of great QBs in this league and not just because I'm a Steeler fan..I"m so tired of him not getting any credit!!! :banging: But I feel this article is true..........

SteelerBee43
09-22-2007, 05:23 AM
And the article said Contender,,not Pretender,,,:tt02::tt02:

Stairwayto7
09-22-2007, 06:47 AM
Ben manage a game, is true. But he is now a bigger part of the offense, I think Willie needs our passing game more than Bettis did.

BlitzburghRockCity
09-22-2007, 07:06 AM
I get so pissed and I"m sick and tired of hearing how great Carson Palmer is....he's not that much better than Ben!!!! I think Ben's up there on the list of great QBs in this league and not just because I'm a Steeler fan..I"m so tired of him not getting any credit!!! :banging: But I feel this article is true..........

Trust me we're all sick of hearing it. Between everyone standing in line to give Carson his daily dose of " you're so great" pills , and everybody yapping about how great the Rats are and McNair is leading them to the playoffs again; it just disgusting :banging:

okiesteeler
09-22-2007, 11:44 AM
Big deserves more credit than what he is recieving. For that all you have to do is look at how we did last year, when he played horrible, we did horrible, but once he got his form back toward the end of the year we came charging back and were still only 1 game out of the playoffs. ddI just hope he continues at his current pace, that might help the big media and others to open their eyes

BBG7
09-22-2007, 11:45 AM
Ben still has some stuff to prove, however, he is doing a great job right now. He just needs to keep it up! We have a balanced team so we don't have to rely on our QB to do it all. We can run the ball and we have a great D.

FC FURY
09-22-2007, 01:57 PM
Teams win Super Bowls.

Ben is a winner(Show them the ring Ben)...He threw the team on his back and lead them to a championship...

Carson Palmer is a fine Football player.

Dan Mariono was a fine Football player.

Neither ever got the job done.

Anyone who wants to question the Steelers Championship Victory in Super Bowl XL...Can kiss my ***(I was going to say lick my stones...Didnt want be to crude)

Sometimes Qbs just have to manage the game...The game is not about stats..Its about Wins..Something Ben does very well

BBG7
09-22-2007, 01:59 PM
Teams win Super Bowls.

Ben is a winner(Show them the ring Ben)...He threw the team on his back and lead them to a championship...

Anyone who wants to question the Steelers Championship Victory in Super Bowl XL...Can kiss my ***(I was going to say lick my stones...Didnt want be to crude)

Sometimes Qbs just have to manage the game...The game is not about stats..Its about Wins..Something Ben does very well

:plus1:I agree!!!

TEEMONT
09-22-2007, 03:13 PM
Well many media types, fans across the NFL then Ben is just an average QB at best and does nothing...lol

who says stuff like that!!! lol

It's pretty much true though, just ****in manage the game Ben, and we will all be happy. He has done well when he has taken shots so far this year, but 2 games don't make a season. I am starting to think he is better than I give him credit for, but so far, he is a game manager, a good one though.

[AutoMerged Post Below]

Teams win Super Bowls.

you still said it.

Black@Gold Forever32
09-22-2007, 03:28 PM
who says stuff like that!!! lol

It's pretty much true though, just ****in manage the game Ben, and we will all be happy. He has done well when he has taken shots so far this year, but 2 games don't make a season. I am starting to think he is better than I give him credit for, but so far, he is a game manager, a good one though.

[AutoMerged Post Below]

you still said it.

No Trent Dilfer managed the game for the Ravens when they won the Super Bowl in 2000....When asked upon Ben has made plays even in his first two years....Thats why I know he has the talent to be more then just a game manager....Look at the stats even in his first two years the Steelers threw the ball in the first half of games to build leads....Then in the second half of games Cowher just pounded the rock to control the clock....

So far the Steelers are doing the same this year.....I personally wouldn't mind seeing more throws in the 2nd half of games....But hey if they win then its all good and thats all that matters....But I don't buy into the game manager talk....If the Steelers have to win some games on Ben's arm then I think he can do it...He showed it to us in the 2005 play-offs....I know I know he stunk last year....But I gave him a pass due to his accident and other physical set backs...

As for this year...While some people are freaking out about Ben's very good start....I think he can be better...He has missed some throws and really he could have 8 TD passes instead of 5 right now.....But hey the Steelers are 2-0 and its all good....

He will never have the records like Peyton...But all I care about is Super Bowl titles...I'm willing to bet Ben wins more rings then Peyton....:bigthumb: But to I would like to see Ben reach his full potential....Which I think we all will to see that now...Just watch Ben is going to have a great season and will put himself up there in the top 3-5 best QBs in the game today....I know you're going to laugh when you read that so go ahead....:lol:

Mike Tomlin
09-22-2007, 04:20 PM
Basically Ben is used more because of the way we were running our offense. Seriously we've turned our offense into our defense by keeping people guessing what we will do. Now you can't tell if we're running on first , throwing deep or running a screen. Now you can't just put 8 in the box and come at us or you will be blown out. Also we have the ability to come from behind which is something we've never really had. This really helps with teams like the Ravens who's D is like ours they like to make the offense adjust to them. Now they'll have to make a lot of changes on the fly which will really slow them down. I'm glad Ben is underrated, that way other teams can say ok we'll just make Ben throw it and we all know he does that well. Remember the AFC championship I think 2 years ago, New England beat us by just making Ben throw the football. It's a lot different now.

GoBenGo
09-22-2007, 04:30 PM
The Guy is Money!

SteelerSteve
09-22-2007, 04:46 PM
Trust me we're all sick of hearing it. Between everyone standing in line to give Carson his daily dose of " you're so great" pills , and everybody yapping about how great the Rats are and McNair is leading them to the playoffs again; it just disgusting :banging:I completely agree, I know Carson may have a little bit stronger arm, but arm strength is really only a small fraction of what makes a great quarterback. Carson is good don't get me wrong, but in some ways Ben is better, I think that he is a better leader and more motivational than Carson, and that has to count for something. I would rather have ben in a comeback situation too, he just has great pocket presence, he can hold the ball just long enough, or shake a tackle and give ward or holmes time to get open, he is really a great player and the only way that he will ever get recognized as an elite qb is that if he throws 4000 yds and 30 plus td's, which I believe he could easily do, hes already got 5 td's in his first two games

steelcitysfinestXL
09-22-2007, 11:38 PM
A few things...
Palmer is on a team thats gonna put up 24+ points a game and give up atleast 21, so he is asked to throw to keep the team ahead. Same with Peyton, Brees, Romo and some of the other big name qbs who led the league in passing. The Steelers are going to hold teams to 14 point or less and start pounding the rock once we have a two possession lead. Thats the way we do business. if you look at Carsons number he will be 34 for 52 w/ 300+ yards or something. Ben may go for 17-25 200+ yards. by the end of the year Carson is 1600 yards more than him. WHY??? THEY HAVE NO DEFENSE. He is throwing to keep the lead, we run to burn the clock... its that simple. I would Rather have a guy who can get the win week in and week out who doesnt make the probowl, than have the guy who throws for 6tds and 400+ yards and loses to the BROWNS... just my $.02

K Train
09-23-2007, 12:01 AM
i dont think carson has a bigger arm btw

BlitzburghRockCity
09-23-2007, 12:12 AM
The Bengals offense will always have yards than us because they get into shootouts all the time. That's what happens when you have no defense as XL mentioned. If Ben got into shootouts every week I have little doubt he'd numbers comparable to Carson, Peyton or anyone else. The difference with us is that we play kick *** defense and we run the ball more.

SteelerFan87
09-23-2007, 12:21 AM
When will the idiots in the national media realize that to evaluate Ben Roethlisberger, or any Steelers QB for that matter, you have to look at the 1st half, not the whole game. That's when you get to see what he can do. In the 2nd half, we just run all the time to kill the clock, and that's why we always have more runs than passes. So national media people just look at the total # of runs and passes and think "Oh, the Steelers never throw. Ben can only throw 20 or so passes", not realizing that the vast majority of those passes are in the 1st half, and the vast majority of the runs are in the 2nd half, when we have a lead that Ben got us by passing.

MDSteel15
09-23-2007, 01:09 AM
People are still loath to give Terry Bradshaw any credit, even though he's a two-time Super Bowl MVP, and quite possibly the most underrated big-game QB in NFL history.

This is because to many people are ignorant in the fact that Bradshaw called all the plays himself!!! :eyecrazy: No other QB with 4 rings did that.... :nahnah:

SteelerSteve
09-27-2007, 09:26 PM
A few things...
Palmer is on a team thats gonna put up 24+ points a game and give up atleast 21, so he is asked to throw to keep the team ahead. Same with Peyton, Brees, Romo and some of the other big name qbs who led the league in passing. The Steelers are going to hold teams to 14 point or less and start pounding the rock once we have a two possession lead. Thats the way we do business. if you look at Carsons number he will be 34 for 52 w/ 300+ yards or something. Ben may go for 17-25 200+ yards. by the end of the year Carson is 1600 yards more than him. WHY??? THEY HAVE NO DEFENSE. He is throwing to keep the lead, we run to burn the clock... its that simple. I would Rather have a guy who can get the win week in and week out who doesnt make the probowl, than have the guy who throws for 6tds and 400+ yards and loses to the BROWNS... just my $.02 good post, and I agree I would definitley take a good balanced team over a crappy defense like the bengals, btw k-train, maybe ben does have a better arm than carson, but that can be a hard thing to compare, one thing I like is how strong he is and can just stiff arm linebackers trying to bring him down and then hit heath going down the sideline, those are the kind of things that make him so good, no not good, great:tt02:

stillers4me
09-27-2007, 09:38 PM
I don't care what hey call Ben Roethlisberger as long as they don't call him late to the Superbowl. :bigthumb:

Stlrs4Life
09-27-2007, 10:23 PM
Teams win Super Bowls.

:plus1:

BlitzburghRockCity
09-28-2007, 12:11 AM
I don't care what hey call Ben Roethlisberger as long as they don't call him late to the Superbowl. :bigthumb:

With any luck, they'll be calling him a 2 time Super Bowl winner in the not so distant future :crossfingers: :bigthumb: