PDA

View Full Version : A tough challenge ahead

BBG7
09-20-2007, 05:12 PM
http://news.steelers.com/article/81857/

The Steelers will face a challenge this week when they host the San Francisco 49ers at Heinz Field on Sunday – a team they share a 2-0 record with.

Last week against St. Louis the 49ers sacked quarterback Marc Bulger six times and even though Bulger put up big numbers with 368 yards passing, it wasn’t enough.

Ben Roethlisberger is expecting the same kind of pressure this week.

“They did a lot of different things, the mixer is what we call it,” said Roethlisberger. “They’ve got a lot of guys moving around and doing different things, just trying to make plays and it seemed like they did a good job of that from the film that we watched.

“It’s going to be a big challenge for us and we all know that. We know how good their defense is and they don’t give up big plays. That’s kind of been our M.O. so far, so we’re going to have to be able to grind it out and run the ball and just take what they give us on defense. If that’s the short little passes that lead to the big one, then hopefully it does. We’re going to take what they give us and go from there.”

A week earlier against Arizona the 49ers intercepted Matt Leinart twice, sacked him once and held him to 102 yards passing.

“They’re an opportunistic defense,” said Roethlisberger. “They find ways to get the ball and create turnovers. They’re always moving around. They throw different looks at you and it’s not going to be easy.”

Head coach Mike Tomlin has been pleased with the play of his defense that has allowed only 10 points in two games, with the only touchdown coming in the third quarter against the Browns.

“They are playing the game together,” said Tomlin. “They are playing at a high level. They are playing with great energy and enthusiasm. That is a tribute to them. I think that Coach (Dick) LeBeau will tell you the same thing. Those guys take a great deal of pride in how they play. They care about one another and it shows. “

San Francisco head coach Mike Nolan might be facing the Steelers for the first time as a head coach, but he is familiar with them having faced the black and gold while the defensive coordinator for the Baltimore Ravens from 2002-2004, and their receivers coach in 2001.

“They’re a good football team. I’ve played them several times,” said Nolan. “They’ve got a great home crowd. Pittsburgh people are typically tough. Their football team is built that way. It’ll be a real challenge for us, but I’m looking forward to it. I’m excited about going back to play them. I’m sure they’re excited about us coming in, too.”

StlersGuy
09-20-2007, 05:21 PM
this should be a good game I do see us winning it but it will not be like the past 2 games where we knew who won by halftime.

What is going to hurt the 49ers is the fact they have no offense and there defense will be wore out by the Fourth Quarter.

Black@Gold Forever32
09-20-2007, 05:28 PM
I'm not worried...Bryant Young had 3 of their 7 sacks and he is a 100 years old...lol Now Manny Lawson is lost for the year......I don' think they will get much pressure on Ben.......I think our Oline will handle the Niners front 7 with no problem....

AZ_Steeler
09-20-2007, 05:31 PM
Didn't the Rams lose Orlando Pace also... or is he with someone else? :scratch:

** UPDATE/EDIT **
That is correct... the Rams had lost Pace before the niner game and he is on IR. They need to put an * next to those sacks the niners got against the Rams ;)

K Train
09-20-2007, 05:32 PM
this is not a challenge lol, its mediocre team #3

K Train
09-20-2007, 05:32 PM

yep pace is out

PsychoWard
09-20-2007, 06:20 PM

i agree this gave will be a little tougher than the first two but i don't see us having a problem with the 49ers!

BR7
09-20-2007, 06:32 PM
San Fran has a football team?

BBG7
09-20-2007, 06:46 PM
San Fran has a football team?

:lol::lol::lol:

MotoF150
09-20-2007, 08:14 PM
49'ers 28
steelers 10

K Train
09-20-2007, 08:17 PM
49'ers 28
steelers 10

lol sure...

BBG7
09-20-2007, 08:24 PM
49'ers 28
steelers 10

if it isn't the troll that is to embarrassed to say who his team is. Must suck not having pride in your football team!

BR7
09-20-2007, 08:54 PM
People like him sit at home, troll message boards of other teams waiting for upsets so he can then add to his minimal post count saying "I told you so." He can then later brag to his mom how he told all the nay-sayers he was right all along while she cooks him his dinner before nap time.

BBG7
09-20-2007, 08:55 PM
People like him sit at home, troll message boards of other teams waiting for upsets so he can then add to his minimal post count saying "I told you so." He can then later brag to his mom how he told all the nay-sayers he was right all along while she cooks him his dinner before nap time.
:lolsign:

Black@Gold Forever32
09-20-2007, 09:06 PM

Stop talking about me........:lol:

BlitzburghRockCity
09-20-2007, 09:09 PM
Comparing us to the Cards is a bit of a joke if you ask me. Their OL is in bad need of repair and the pieces they do have havent learned to work together yet. Getting pressure on them and making that OL look bad is going to be the big key for us, if we can do that everything will fall apart for them.

That being said, they'll be up for this challenge so it would behoove us to pay attention and not look past them.

BlitzburghNation
09-20-2007, 09:36 PM

:ditto:
There 1st game against AZ was a crapper for both teams in my opinion
2nd game the rams have a pitiful defense & was just a fieldgoal away from winning that game !

So for us,,,,,,it will be STEELERS 34 in garbage time they'll get a cheap TD to add to there 2 fieldgoals 49ers 13

:towelwave: :towelwave::towelwave: :gs: :towelwave: :towelwave::towelwave:

black an gold 4 life
09-20-2007, 11:11 PM
moto u mean steelers35 49ers 7 that's the way we roll around here pittsburgh will b fine this will make them adjust their game an i c an steelers blow out our d will keep little alex running 4 mommy lol

steelcitysfinestXL
09-20-2007, 11:31 PM

** UPDATE/EDIT **
That is correct... the Rams had lost Pace before the niner game and he is on IR. They need to put an * next to those sacks the niners got against the Rams ;)

They had 2 starting lineman out before that game started and lost one around half time. Imagine if Faneca and Smith didnt start and we lost colon in the 2nd quarter... ben and willie would be in trouble!!!!

Stairwayto7
09-21-2007, 07:43 AM
We need a tough challenger, this team has to find out what its made of! Bring em on!

LatrobePA
09-21-2007, 12:38 PM
Look for alot of no huddle to wear the D down. Won't take much when their leading sacker is 35yrs old...

GoBenGo
09-21-2007, 03:40 PM

** UPDATE/EDIT **
And Lienhart is not exactly the benchmark for pocket pressense.:lol: He was holding the ball way too long in the pocket. Probably more attributed to 9ers secondary and Lienhart's ineptitude. (double multi-syllabic bonus!!+500)
Big Ben will dice it up, Cardinal recievers not Steeler calibre . Hines , Holmes, and crew will find the openings in the coverage. Play action to Fast Willie: it oughta be illegal!!!
:tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02: