PDA

View Full Version : Hearing from Coach Mike Tomlin

StlersGuy
09-19-2007, 05:19 PM
Throughout the 2007 season, Coach Mike Tomlin will answer questions exclusively for Steelers Digest and Steelers.com. The following is one of those sessions. For the complete interview, pick up the latest issue of Steelers Digest.

Q. What do you think Ben Roethlisberger has that makes him special as a quarterback?

A. Beyond the obvious, the physical skills, Ben is a sick competitor. Everything is a contest for him. He doesn’t back down from any challenges. It can be running routes on air, any element of practice, just a conversation about who’s right or wrong on a subject, he’s always competing. That’s what drives him.

Q. What about Troy Polamalu?

A. It’s really the same answer. Troy is a very, very different personality off the field than on the field. He’s a very competitive player on the field, a very instinctual player. The strength of Troy’s game, even though he’s physically talented, is above his neck. What he sees, his intuition, makes him special.

Q. You have said you’re not a micromanager, but when it’s game time are there certain calls that go through you?

A. Critical situational football decisions, third or fourth downs, goal-line, short-yardage. Sometimes calling plays, not 100 percent of the time. A lot of those decisions have been made throughout the course of the week, and we’re just reaffirming what we decided upon, or if those plans need to change based on the circumstances of the game, etc.

That’s what the week is about. That’s why I’m involved heavily in all three phases of the preparation of the game plan, and the communication that goes on during the sideline when those situations occur are really affirmations of what we’ve already decided.

Q. Also in that category would be fake punts, onside kicks?

A. Absolutely. We had a fake punt ready to go vs. Cleveland based on field position and the distance that we needed. That situation presented itself in the game, but because we were up by 17 points – the circumstances of the game – we decided to punt the ball.

Q. When you’re making those kinds of decisions, then, it’s not only whether you believe the play can work or not?

A. First and foremost is the flow of the game and what’s going on at that point in the football game. Whether or not it’s there schematically and whether we’re capable of doing it are factors, but you have to keep an eye to what’s happening with regard to the flow of the football game.

Q. Is it different coaching on the road than it is at home?

A. A lot has been written and said about technology with regard to the New England stuff, but technology also has made a big difference in being at home or on the road. You know you’re going to get an opportunity to see critical replays at home that you’re not going to get on the road, so decisions in terms of challenging critical plays are very different at home than on the road.

source steelers.com (http://news.steelers.com/article/81845/)

SteelersWoman
09-19-2007, 07:23 PM
Thanks for posting up, I enjoyed the interview :)

Just wish all coaches had access to the same equipment whether it's home OR away games...

black an gold 4 life
09-19-2007, 09:30 PM
man the more i hear from this cat the more i love him great job rooneys u can c why they hired him n stead of the others

steelcurtaingal
09-19-2007, 09:33 PM
i love what i see from tomlin, hes perfect

BlitzburghNation
09-19-2007, 09:44 PM
Guess the rooney's done it again,,,,,,,,,,,,Hired a STEELER GUY
TO BE A STEELER COACH

Nice post OS,,,,,,,:bigthumb:

BBG7
09-19-2007, 10:02 PM
great interview!

BlitzburghRockCity
09-19-2007, 10:11 PM
I would have liked to see the fake punt, just because it would mean we could have put more points up against the clowns :lol:

kgreen
09-19-2007, 10:48 PM
Wow this guy was an absolute STEEL!:tt02::tt02:

SteelerNation
09-19-2007, 11:28 PM
Great stuff , I cant get enough of this guy hes a class act hard nose *** kicking HC

Mike Tomlin
09-20-2007, 12:53 AM
Poor Alex Smith :hide:it's gone be a long day for him.