PDA

View Full Version : Harrison cleared to play; Spaeth hobbled by thigh bruise

BlitzburghRockCity
09-19-2007, 06:55 AM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07262/818639-66.stm?cmpid=HBEHTML

Wednesday, September 19, 2007
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Linebacker James Harrison, carried off Heinz Field three days ago on a straight board with a neck injury, may play against San Francisco on Sunday.

Coach Mike Tomlin said Harrison has nothing more than a stiff neck. Harrison may miss a practice or two but has a chance to return to his starting job at right outside linebacker.

"We may limit him in some way tomorrow, but he has a clean bill of health, so we look forward to moving forward with him," Tomlin said yesterday at his news conference.

Harrison, who replaced the departed Joey Porter on defense, leads the team with 1 1/2 sacks.

Tomlin said the only other player with an injury of note from their 26-3 victory against Buffalo Sunday was rookie tight end Matt Spaeth with a bruised thigh.

"When you are 6-7 and catch balls on the fly, people are going to hit you in the thigh," Tomlin said. "That is how they tackle you. He has to get accustomed and used to that and how to defend himself in those situations. He will be limited some. We will see where he is tomorrow.

"But as of right now, he is going to be limited a little bit, particularly at the top part of the work week tomorrow. Other than that, we are a healthy football team."

Spaeth is a beastly target for us in the red zone, hopefully he heals up quick. For the first time we have been utilizing the TE's in the passing game so I don't want to miss a beat with that.

AZ_Steeler
09-19-2007, 09:27 AM
Spaeth is looking awesome although he's stealing some TD's from Heath. I would imagine though D's will start to focus on Spaeth which will then free up Heath... hopefully this weekend because I think I want to start Heath on my fantasy team :dunno:

SteelersWoman
09-19-2007, 10:31 AM
Spaeth is looking awesome although he's stealing some TD's from Heath. I would imagine though D's will start to focus on Spaeth which will then free up Heath...

My oldest was looking for some of our guys to be at the top of the stats for receiving yards. I told him that he may as well not expect that this year, since Ben seems to be spreading the ball as far as he can. I think it's great--teams will never know who to cover the most :greengrin:

black an gold 4 life
09-19-2007, 01:40 PM
spaeth didn't immpress me n preseason but he has come trhough with some clutch catches so hopefully he'll b ok if not tuman has 2 step up his game.

BlitzburghRockCity
09-20-2007, 06:06 AM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07263/819024-66.stm

Thursday, September 20, 2007
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Peter Diana / Post-Gazette

James Harrison runs down Buffalo's J.P. Losman Sunday before he was injured. Harrison should be able to play vs. the 49ers this week.
Linebacker James Harrison not only is feeling better after what appeared to be a scary neck injury in the game Sunday against Buffalo, he went through a full practice yesterday and likely will start this Sunday against the San Francisco 49ers.

Harrison was strapped onto a board and taken off the field after his neck was jammed on the final play of the first half at Heinz Field.

Tuesday, coach Mike Tomlin said Harrison had nothing more than a stiff neck. Yesterday, Harrison said he is ready to play and wanted to get back into the game Sunday.

"I just jammed my neck up and couldn't move it for a minute," Harrison said. "I was sitting back and everything. I could move. I'm like, 'I'm feeling better, it just feels a little loose.' As soon as I said that, it was 'Don't move, we're strapping you up.' "

It took about 11 minutes for doctors and trainers to get Harrison off the field. They cut his facemask off and left his helmet on.

The injury occurred one week after Buffalo Bills tight end Kevin Everett suffered a serious neck injury in their opener.

"I think they overreacted with the thing that happened with the guy last week," Harrison said.

"I don't think they wanted to take any chances."

Harrison came back onto the sideline in the third quarter and wanted to play, but medical personnel ordered him back into the locker room.

"That was a good move on them, but where I was standing at the time I didn't like the move they made."

He said he actually was hurt on the previous play, then ran into the backside of 345-pound nose tackle Casey Hampton.

"That's something you don't want to hit," Harrison said. "That's an immovable object right there."

Harrison, the Steelers' top backup outside linebacker the past three seasons, replaced the departed Joey Porter on the right side this season. He had a sack in the first half Sunday and has 1 1/2 for the season. His seven solo tackles led the team in its 34-7 opening victory at Cleveland.

Welcome back James !! :towelwave:

steelersgal86
09-20-2007, 06:28 AM
:clap::clap: good news:bigthumb:

BlitzburghRockCity
09-20-2007, 07:07 AM
Bring on Alex Smith !!! Blitzburgh is coming to get ya !!

black an gold 4 life
09-20-2007, 12:31 PM
good 2 hear james harrison is an beast an we need him n there