PDA

View Full Version : Steelers rookie Woodley more than a fill-in at LB

SteelersWoman
09-18-2007, 02:32 AM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_527895.html

By The Associated Press
Monday, September 17, 2007

When the Pittsburgh Steelers released former Pro Bowl linebacker Joey Porter during the offseason, it left them thin at outside linebacker -- a position with particular importance in their 3-4 defensive scheme.

When former-backup-turned-starter James Harrison was injured during the final play of the first half of a 26-3 win over the Buffalo Bills on Sunday, that meant, in effect, that the Steelers were forced to go to their No. 3 man on the depth chart relative to last season.

But rookie LaMarr Woodley filled in admirably. The second-round draft choice from Michigan had four solo tackles despite only seeing significant playing time in the second half. He also had his first career sack in the fourth quarter.
"My number got called because a guy went down, but you got the other 10 guys helping you it makes the job easier," Woodley said. "I felt pretty comfortable because I had got an opportunity in the preseason to run with the No. 1s (first team)."

Woodley was the second linebacker the Steelers drafted in April. Lawrence Timmons of Florida State was taken in the first round, but Woodley passed him on the depth chart during training camp. Timmons missed much of camp with a groin injury.

"LaMarr did a great job," linebacker James Farrior said. "He came in and was prepared. He works hard and gets a lot of reps in practice. He was prepared to come in just in case this happened and you've got to credit the coaches, too, for getting him prepared."

Harrison sustained a neck injury and did not return. His status for next week's game against San Francisco won't be known until, at the earliest, he is reevaluated Monday.
KEY THIRD DOWNS: Pittsburgh converted 11 of 16 chances on third downs (69 percent) while Buffalo was successful only 39 percent (5-for-13) of the time. The Bills also were 0-for-3 on fourth downs.

"The only way we are going to be a great defense is if we play great third-down defense," coach Mike Tomlin said. "This game is made up of situational elements outside of first and 10 and second and medium. You have to be able to stand up in those areas, and I thought (the Steelers' defense) did that." While Pittsburgh was held to four field goals until late in the third quarter, the Steelers punted only once.

digdug
09-18-2007, 03:04 AM
Woodley is a beast. He will be the next in the great legacy of 'Burgh LB's!!

:markit:

black an gold 4 life
09-18-2007, 11:25 AM
once woodley an timmons get up 2 speed with the whole defense our defense will b even better, can u imagine that lol here we go steelers here we go

MDSteel15
09-18-2007, 12:20 PM
Love this guy, next great one! Still out on Timmons... watched him in ACC, he has a lot to prove.... wish we could of teamed Woodley up with David Harris :bigthumb:

BlitzburghRockCity
09-18-2007, 01:05 PM
The dude is playing well and doing what we're asking him to do, he's only going to get better. You can see in his play that he's intense and aware of his surroundings on the field. I can't wait to watch him grow and mature into a top notch linebacker for us !

JB 67
09-18-2007, 04:33 PM
Looks like a stud so far wanna see Timmons make a big play

BBG7
09-18-2007, 04:44 PM
I'm excited about this kid. I can't wait to see him progress as time goes on!

KY TITAN
09-18-2007, 05:45 PM
:postal::postal:Just imagine if he keeps working at it :scratch:

He might be as good as BULLOCK

:banana2:

SteelerNation
09-18-2007, 07:47 PM
:postal::postal:Just imagine if he keeps working at it :scratch:

He might be as good as BULLOCK

:banana2:

I wouldent go that far just yet.

But i was really impressed with him and little play time he had ... He had 4 solo tackles and 1 sack...

FC FURY
09-19-2007, 03:18 PM
I am not a fan of Lamar Woodley. He does nothing really well. There were rumors teams were going to move ahead of the Steelers to draft him...Rumors. He was thought to be a 3rd round pick for most teams for a variety of reasons. 3 Teams who run the 34(Pats Cowboys and Browns) removed Woodley from there draft list post Michigans pro day(Info is via Pro Football weekly)

-He is not an elite pass rusher. He is not fast, quick, explosive or strong. I understand he was the Big 10 Defensive player of the year so were Pat Fitzgerald Tyrone Carter Jeff Zgonia and Courtney Brown.

-He is stiff hip'd..He struggles in space. He actually played more games at OLB then Def End at Michigan so the position change angle doesnt float. He was benched a total of 3 times at UM for poor play. Not something I look for in a 2nd round draft pick

-Woodley doesnt take coaching well...The staff are saying all the right things about Woodley...they have to...What do you expect...The 2nd round pick is a bum?

-Woodley is arrogant...Listen to that interview...And then watch his play. Woodley played awful against the Bills...You listen to that interview and you would expect LT type of production.

Wood is going to be yet another Second Round bust.

Not a popular view...And honest view

strong D
09-19-2007, 04:18 PM
I am not a fan of Lamar Woodley. He does nothing really well. There were rumors teams were going to move ahead of the Steelers to draft him...Rumors. He was thought to be a 3rd round pick for most teams for a variety of reasons. 3 Teams who run the 34(Pats Cowboys and Browns) removed Woodley from there draft list post Michigans pro day(Info is via Pro Football weekly)

-He is not an elite pass rusher. He is not fast, quick, explosive or strong. I understand he was the Big 10 Defensive player of the year so were Pat Fitzgerald Tyrone Carter Jeff Zgonia and Courtney Brown.

-He is stiff hip'd..He struggles in space. He actually played more games at OLB then Def End at Michigan so the position change angle doesnt float. He was benched a total of 3 times at UM for poor play. Not something I look for in a 2nd round draft pick

-Woodley doesnt take coaching well...The staff are saying all the right things about Woodley...they have to...What do you expect...The 2nd round pick is a bum?

-Woodley is arrogant...Listen to that interview...And then watch his play. Woodley played awful against the Bills...You listen to that interview and you would expect LT type of production.

Wood is going to be yet another Second Round bust.

Not a popular view...And honest view

i have to disagree with that bold statement the kids just starting and already looks good so if you want to judge him on nothing then go ahead but personnaly i think that statement is way off base

FC FURY
09-19-2007, 05:31 PM
I am judging him off his body to work date.

-1/2 of a Pro Game.

He was dominated in the run game. He was pancaked 3 times Vs the Run. He didnt sniff the Qb rushing the passer. I grade every player.. every week post game...Woodley recorded the first F of the year. That F can stand for failure..In this case I believe its stands for ****ed...What the Steelers will be 2 years down the line...When they need to draft another OLB because Woodley is yet another second round bust

-5 Pre Season games.

He made a decent play in coverage...Had 1 unblocked sack...Other then those 2 plays...He did nada.

-3 Years at Michigan

He played against 4 Future First Round Picks...Recorded Zero sacks. Levi Brown and Joe Thomas both rag dolled him.

Woodley will be another Shields Jackson Colcough Statt Blackwell.

Once again...Not popular...Doesnt make me happy.

SteelersWoman
09-19-2007, 05:47 PM
... Woodley is arrogant...Listen to that interview...

I haven't seen the interview you're referring to, so I can't give an opinion on that. As far as disposition however: while I prefer a "humble" player (think Troy), they can't all be like that, I guess, and it wouldn't be fun if they were all the same anyway. And there's that saying "They didn't hire me for my disposition".... perhaps he's one of those... :helmet:

Woodley played awful against the Bills...You listen to that interview and you would expect LT type of production.

I guess I view his level of play a bit differently. I'm not expecting him to play at a veteran pro level right now. Four solos and a sack--taking playing time, circumstances, and his rookie status into consideration isn't too "shabby" in most people's view...

Wood is going to be yet another Second Round bust....

Wow--bold statement, for sure.

The Steeler organization has a way of taking diamonds in the rough and bringing out the real shine in them. Not ALways, but often enough that I'll wait on a long-term judgement, as of yet :bigthumb:

And no offense, but I hope to heck you're wrong...lol

strong D
09-19-2007, 06:21 PM
I am judging him off his body to work date.

-1/2 of a Pro Game.

He was dominated in the run game. He was pancaked 3 times Vs the Run. He didnt sniff the Qb rushing the passer. I grade every player.. every week post game...Woodley recorded the first F of the year. That F can stand for failure..In this case I believe its stands for ****ed...What the Steelers will be 2 years down the line...When they need to draft another OLB because Woodley is yet another second round bust

-5 Pre Season games.

He made a decent play in coverage...Had 1 unblocked sack...Other then those 2 plays...He did nada.

-3 Years at Michigan

He played against 4 Future First Round Picks...Recorded Zero sacks. Levi Brown and Joe Thomas both rag dolled him.

Woodley will be another Shields Jackson Colcough Statt Blackwell.

Once again...Not popular...Doesnt make me happy.

I think your clueless:dunno::dunno::dunno:

FC FURY
09-20-2007, 05:51 AM
You disagree...To call me clueless...Well is just funny..On so many levels.:lol:

AZ_Steeler
09-20-2007, 11:49 AM
Fury brings up some interesting facts though and it's ah rd to deny those facts... Woodley not registering a sack against 4 future first rounders should raise some eye brows.

:imo: It's hard to say someone clueless when they list nothing but cold hard facts. Sometime it's hard for us to see through the black n gold blinders and we want to think the Steelers can do no wrong, especially with their draft picks.

Hopefully he can turn out to be that "Diamond in the rough" and shake the lousy performances he had against the big names in college.

FC FURY
09-20-2007, 01:35 PM
I would like to be wrong about Woodley...And trust me I have been wrong in the past. Examples would be...Scott Shields Fred Gibson Steven Conley(I thought all 3 would be studs)...I rarely miss on the bums...Stephens Edwards Coke Jackson Farris Abidi Lacy Kranchinik Stephenson Essex.

Woodley's skill set leads me to believe he is a situational rusher. He doesnt play the run well at all...He looks uncomfortable in space. He has looked very aware in coverage...Something I didnt believe he could do. Woodley has tools...I believe he has been coached up...I dont see much upside.

Hopefully Woodley has 4 sacks this week and I look retarded

BBG7
09-20-2007, 02:29 PM
Hopefully Woodley has 4 sacks this week and I look retarded

lol...I hope so :lol::bluelol::lol:

steelcurtaingal
09-20-2007, 02:32 PM
lol...I hope so :lol::bluelol::lol:

me too:yesnod:

FC FURY
09-20-2007, 02:48 PM
Don't hold your breathe:hoover:

SteelersWoman
09-20-2007, 07:52 PM
....Hopefully Woodley has 4 sacks this week ,,,,

With James being cleared to play, LaMarr probably won't see much (if any) playing time though...