PDA

View Full Version : Steelers have proven little

SteelersWoman
09-17-2007, 06:12 PM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_527827.html

By Mike Prisuta (mprisuta@tribweb.com)
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Monday, September 17, 2007

The celebration of the Steelers' 75th anniversary continued with the reaching of another milestone.

No, we're not talking about the 500th win in franchise history.
We refer instead to the Steelers playing a seventh preseason game, which matches the seven they played in 1975 and '76 (the exhibition schedule included the College All-Star Game for defending champions back then). Such records only go back as far as 1965 in the media guide.

Still, it's hard to imagine a preseason that's been longer than this one.

What's really worth celebrating is the Steelers get credit in the standings for their 34-7 win Sept. 9 in Cleveland and their 26-3 clubbing of Buffalo on Sunday at Heinz Field.

The competition has been inferior enough over the regular season's first two weeks that the Steelers have been able to treat these first two games as exhibitions.

They've gotten backup quarterback Charlie Batch a little work on each of the past two Sundays.
They've gotten Najeh Davenport a combined 14 carries -- on which he's averaging a preseason-like 6.4 yards.
They've gotten reserve offensive linemen Max Starks and Chris Kemoeatu into the games.

Eventually, they're going to have to play an actual NFL-caliber team.
Please don't present the Browns as an example of such. What happened in Cleveland yesterday had to be more a reflection of the Bengals' inability to physically recover from and emotionally handle their win over Baltimore than it was the Browns' prowess.

Only then will we know just how good these Steelers really are.
In the meantime, they're eating these JV quarterbacks the other teams keep sending at them for lunch.

J.P. Losman was predictably overmatched in his efforts to dent a defense that feasts on passers who are either inexperienced or lack the ability to read and react and make plays under pressure.
Losman actually has been in the league as long as Ben Roethlisberger. The Steelers just made Losman look like a clueless rookie.

The Steelers' defense, with its ability to disguise and confuse and because of its refusal to let anyone generate anything resembling a consistent running game, deserves a great deal of credit. The unit exposes overwhelmed opposing signal callers, and in the case of Charlie Frye, getting them traded to the Seahawks.

But we won't have a better feel for whether the Steelers' defense is simply good or on the verge of greatness -- as the players who comprise that defense contend -- until it's time to play Carson Palmer and the Bengals and Tom Brady and the Patriots. Or, perhaps, Shaun Alexander, Matt Hasselbeck and Seattle.

Until then, the Steelers get the likes of Frye and Derek Anderson and Losman and, this coming Sunday, third-year pro Alex Smith of San Francisco.
Let the feeding frenzy continue.
As it does, the Steelers' offense can go about its business with relative calm and confidence.

And as long as that offense can protect the ball and the special teams don't implode, the Steelers' prospects are about as golden as the helmets they wore Sunday.

How good are they?
We'll find out soon enough. In the meantime, these Steelers continue to put on quite an exhibition.

Isn't Big Ben considered a "third year pro"? This guy's making it sound like Big Ben has played for 12 years.

I DO understand that we haven't played any great teams, and we DO need to get better in the red-zone, but we've done what's been expected--we've crushed lesser opponents. What more could be expected to this point?

I understand this guy's point to a degree--I do NOT understand the smart alec "attitude" that goes along with it.

manofsteel
09-17-2007, 07:05 PM
Prisuta is a pretty Respected Journalist around here. Hes just keeping the fans in check and make sure we dont get too giddy. I mean we do have a cupcake schedule for a few weeks. And we do have daunting tasks ahead of us.

okiesteeler
09-17-2007, 07:40 PM
I thought it was funny, i did not take it as a serious article.

Troyisabeast_43
09-17-2007, 08:09 PM
The schedule will get much tougher after this week because even though Arizona isnt a very good team the game is on the road and with all the emotion surrounding it with Whisenhunt and Grimm that alone will make it a tough game to win down there. Seattle will be tough even though the game is here they will still be a tough challenge cause they arent a bad team and will want payback for the Super Bowl 2 years ago. Then we got games at Denver and Cincy on the road back to back weeks which will be tough as well. While both of those games are on the road I do think that the Broncos and Bengals can be had as well. So Prisuta needs to just keep himself quiet here thus far because the tougher games will be coming up here the next few weeks and I do expect the Steelers to win at 3 out of these 4 and be in very good shape to be leading the division going into the end of October. Especially seeing how much Baltimore and Cincinnatti has struggled so far. This division is the Steelers based on this upcoming schedule to lose at this point until Baltimore and Cincy prove otherwise. Both are just not as good as people say they are.

Blitzburgh55
09-17-2007, 08:13 PM
Isn't Big Ben considered a "third year pro"? This guy's making it sound like Big Ben has played for 12 years.

No Fourth year and i kinda agree with him

Stlrs4Life
09-17-2007, 08:43 PM
Prisuta is a pretty Respected Journalist around here. Hes just keeping the fans in check and make sure we dont get too giddy. I mean we do have a cupcake schedule for a few weeks. And we do have daunting tasks ahead of us.

Exactly. All of it is true.

BlitzburghRockCity
09-17-2007, 09:16 PM
We can't help how the schedule is made, all we can do is take care of business each week and prepare for each game like it's a playoff game. We win all the home games and split the road ones and we're 12-4 and sitting pretty in the AFCN but nobody is going to hand anything to us. The AFCN is the most competitive division in football and IMO the toughest so it's not going to be easy but if we do well we'll be battle tested for the post season.

Steelerlyn
09-17-2007, 11:39 PM
The schedule will get much tougher after this week because even though Arizona isnt a very good team the game is on the road and with all the emotion surrounding it with Whisenhunt and Grimm that alone will make it a tough game to win down there. Seattle will be tough even though the game is here they will still be a tough challenge cause they arent a bad team and will want payback for the Super Bowl 2 years ago. Then we got games at Denver and Cincy on the road back to back weeks which will be tough as well. While both of those games are on the road I do think that the Broncos and Bengals can be had as well. So Prisuta needs to just keep himself quiet here thus far because the tougher games will be coming up here the next few weeks and I do expect the Steelers to win at 3 out of these 4 and be in very good shape to be leading the division going into the end of October. Especially seeing how much Baltimore and Cincinnatti has struggled so far. This division is the Steelers based on this upcoming schedule to lose at this point until Baltimore and Cincy prove otherwise. Both are just not as good as people say they are.

We did quite well on the road during the playoffs a couple seasons ago, let's hope we do as well this season.

Koopa
09-17-2007, 11:52 PM
any writer that writes for the tribune is a bum......... ever since they said grimm was gonna be the new coach i haven't even go to theri site cause they lost all creditbilty......... i didn't read this article either i'm just talking **** lol

BlacknGold Bleeder
09-17-2007, 11:54 PM
It's hard not to take the article personal but he has a point. We are winning the games we are supposed too and until we play a more worthy opponent ,let's just keep racking up the wins !! :tt02::tt02:

digdug
09-18-2007, 01:31 AM
We can't help how the schedule is made, all we can do is take care of business each week and prepare for each game like it's a playoff game. We win all the home games and split the road ones and we're 12-4 and sitting pretty in the AFCN but nobody is going to hand anything to us. The AFCN is the most competitive division in football and IMO the toughest so it's not going to be easy but if we do well we'll be battle tested for the post season.

Couldn't have said it any better :plus1:

steelcitysfinestXL
09-18-2007, 01:56 AM

Ok well this article makes little sense to me:

1. he said what happened in CLE this sun. doesnt make our week 1 win credible.. he's right. What it means is that CIN has NO DEFENSE. Rudi wont have 100 yds against us and Carson well be taking shots all game. Ike owns Chad, and Henry, the 1 WR that has been giving us fits is gone!!!!

2. He said we have been feasting on teams with inexperienced QB's... hes right who else has "green" qbs on our schedule
DEN-Jay Cutler makes BONEHEAD Plays under pressure
SF- Alex Smith, watch sunday
ARI- Matt Lienhart will be taking shots all day long cause he is the most imoble qb we will face, be he has a really "pretty" stadium to do it in
JAX- David Gerrard has yet to face us and now is the sole starter and not the "nothing to lose" back-up
MIA- Trent GREEN um enough said
NYJ- Kelen Clemens- poor kid never saw it coming!!!!

3. NE is the class of the Confrence after housing SD... thats the game that will test our medal!!!!