PDA

View Full Version : Do the Steelers really miss Joey Porter?

BlitzburghRockCity
09-17-2007, 03:17 PM
Do the Steelers really miss Joey Porter?

If you would have asked me that question (and many people have) during this past off-season and training camp I would answer you with a resounding “Yes” ! I would have told you that Porter was as important on the field as off, that his emotional leadership is not something we could afford to be without. You don’t just lose a player who has the respect of everyone in the locker room, including the coaches, and expect to not miss a beat.

Porter was and still is a fan favorite in Pittsburgh. Every since he was drafted he began to win the hearts of the fans and earn respect of his team mates. When he spoke, the entire team listened no matter what the topic of conversation. If the team needed an emotional boost, he was there to give it to them. He was the motivator, the guy to fire up the troops and get the competitive juices flowing before and during the game. The Supreme Sultan of Trash Talk, Porter was named the NFL’s meanest player by Sports Illustrated. He was the unquestioned go to guy when you had to have a play. His role during the run to Super Bowl XL was clear cut evidence that he owned that locker room.

Now, Porters infamous #55 is but a memory to the Steeler faithful, but that memory is not something any true Steeler fan will soon forget. To Porter fans, not having Joey on the field just doesn’t seem quite right but it’s reality and like anything else we need to move forward.

This year’s group of Linebackers has many question marks surrounding it. Can James Harrison step up, stay healthy, and be the force that the Steelers need? Can Clark Haggans rebound after a sub par showing in 2006? Did Farrior lose a step and is it time to search for his eventual replacement? Is Foote really able to step up and be counted on as a leader and someone who can make the big play when the Steelers need it? And what of the young draft picks, Timmons & Woodley; how long will it take for them to learn the defense and be able to contribute consistently. All these questions and more surround the 2007 crop of Steeler Linebackers.

Early indications are positive as the Linebackers are flying to the ball and making plays just like we’re accustomed to seeing. Harrison and Haggans are both making it a regular occurrence to meet at the Quarterback; Farrior and Foote are stopping the run making their presence felt in the backfield consistently so far too. Another good sign is seeing both Woodley and Timmons getting chances to play in the regular defense as well as special teams. Both of these players need every bit of game time experience they can get and from the get go they have both been proving their worth and showing us the potential they have. The 2006 defense only registered 39 sacks, so far the 2007 team already has 10 to the credit. The pass rush is strong and the run defense is showing that you can’t make a living running against the Steelers and expect to be successful.

It’s too early to tell how this group of Linebackers will fair for the team in 2007 overall, but if early indications are a telling tale of the future they should be a fun group to watch as they take their renewed intensity and updated game plan into battle each week. Dick Lebeau and Mike Tomlin have the tools at their disposal, now it’s time to see what they can do with this group and all the schemes that the coaches can come up with to maximize their success. The real test will come as the season wears on and the team is faced with more adversity and the Linebackers are asked to step up and make the plays that could make or break the game. When that time comes, and it will, we will then see what the 2007 Steeler Linebackers are really made of and if we will really end up missing Joey Porter.

-Top Gun
SteelerAddicts.com

StlersGuy
09-17-2007, 10:22 PM
I don't know about the rest of you but I don't miss him. I really thought our de would take a BIG hit with him gone but from the way it looks we have got better .

Blitzburgh55
09-17-2007, 10:38 PM
I totally forgot about him the first 2 weeks

black an gold 4 life
09-17-2007, 11:38 PM
me personally i like joey, but pittsburgh has moved on i wish him well but our d is playing much better they have mixed n some of tomlins cover 2 with the 3-4 an man they look awsome, they r finally getting off the field on 3rd down. steelers we r n 4 an very pleasant surprise this year, an james harrison makes us 4get about joey real fast he's an beast

BlacknGold Bleeder
09-18-2007, 12:42 AM
Joey who?? :lol: Did ya watch the game yesterday, Miami vs Dallas? He was noticeably absent in that game also, even after calling out Marion Barber.

Black@Gold Forever32
09-18-2007, 01:04 AM
Nope the Steelers don't miss him at all....So far James Harrison if filling in very well for Joey Porter and there are two young stud LBs getting better each week......

digdug
09-18-2007, 04:27 AM
Joey who?? :lol: Did ya watch the game yesterday, Miami vs Dallas? He was noticeably absent in that game also, even after calling out Marion Barber.

:ditto:

Dako
09-18-2007, 03:26 PM
I liked Porter when he was here.....now he's not...so, no I don't miss him.

SteelersfaninPhilly
09-18-2007, 04:22 PM
Joey who? :lol: I was never biggest fan of Porter. Glad to see him gone. As a fan though you have to ready for when a player moves on. Favorite player or Impact player. Cause one day Ward, Troy, Ben and Willie will ride off into the sunset. It will suck but that is the nature of the game.

SteelerBee43
09-18-2007, 04:45 PM
I think we are better without him!!:yesnod:

Disturbed [NJ]
09-18-2007, 06:59 PM
I can't say I dont miss his pre-game antics, but for the most part it seems that everyone has stepped up and I think we look a little better out there !!! Joey ,we will miss ya but also forget about ya !!! Go Pitt

SteelerSteve
09-19-2007, 01:43 AM
I think we need to keep upgrading, cause imo the linebacker position is very important and I hope we keep building on our already very solid squad in next years draft. Look at some of the top defenses in the NFL, they have alot of strength at the linebacking position(Baltimore-Ray Lewis, Terrel Suggs. Chargers-Merriman, Castillo. Chicago-Urlacher, Briggs.) I think we need to use our first two picks next year on the middle and leftside lb position, and then get a reciever in the 3rd round

steelcurtaingal
09-19-2007, 09:43 PM
I don't Porter was a good player, but all good players canh be replaced, not ofrogtten, but replaced

BBC
09-23-2007, 01:32 PM
Who was that moron that kept saying we wouldn't miss Joey because we have Harrison and Haggans?

Oh, right. It was me...

BlitzburghRockCity
09-23-2007, 01:42 PM
I admit that when Porter first left I was the first one to tote the Porter banner that we would miss his leadership in the locker room and the field. His skills as a pass rusher can be replaced but his leadership within the team is what worried me but so far so good and if this team continues to pull together then I will certainly eat my share of crow ;) More tests are ahead but early returns are that this team is doing very well and relying on each other in a way that we all hoped they would.

NOVA STEELERS
09-25-2007, 12:34 PM
I liked how joey was always fired up and full of energy, but I don't feel our D has lost anything without him. If anything I feel they are a tighter close net unit

SteelersWoman
10-08-2007, 05:11 AM
I kinda miss his enthusiasm...and he's just not the same guy in Miami that he was here--it's like he's been neutered.

Dee Mca
10-08-2007, 08:22 AM
I liked Joey as well. I always thought he got the team going but by looking at the stats their really isn't much difference in the stats from first 5 last year to first 5 this year
year -- Pts/G-- TotPts--Tack--Solo--Ast's--Sacks--FF--Rec--Int's--TA
06 22.1 110 346 255 91 12 4.7 3.8 6.3 10.1 07 26.4 132 284 217 67 17 6 5 4 9
Thats about what the whole defense did this year and last thru the first 5. By the number's I really cant see that much of a loss without Porter here. Especially since so far this season Porters stats 4 games 15 Tackles 1 assist and Harrison has 26 tackles 2 assists as well as 2 sacks and 1 recovery and Timmons who's splitting time with Harrison has 6 tackles. Then theirs always the evil's of the game money Porter 32 mill and harrison and Timmons 20.5 million.

SteelerSal
10-11-2007, 02:31 PM
NO!!!!!!!!

steelershoss
10-29-2007, 11:20 PM
I think most fans would agree that we all thought that they would miss him some. But, I am a beleiver in what the Rooney's do with their aging players. They seem to get rid of most of their guys that are on the decline, and most always have someone to pick up the player who is leaving. I had total faith in James Harrison and his abilities.

dkanna
10-30-2007, 08:04 AM
I agree with Dako. He was awesome while he was a Steeler, now, who cares

TampaSteelGirl
11-01-2007, 02:35 PM
I feel bad because it was not his decision to leave. Can you imagine how he feels being let go and then going to a team that can't even win a game! I don't think we really miss him but do feel bad for what happened to him. To me he'll always be a Steeler for sure! :tt02:

SteelerSteve
11-02-2007, 03:25 AM
I feel bad because it was not his decision to leave. Can you imagine how he feels being let go and then going to a team that can't even win a game! I don't think we really miss him but do feel bad for what happened to him. To me he'll always be a Steeler for sure! :tt02:
Took the words out of my mouth