PDA

View Full Version : LG in 2008?...

BB2W
09-14-2007, 10:44 PM
If Alan Faneca leaves as suspected there will be a big hole in the line to fill. They could move some guys around, or take a gaurd early in the draft. Here are some names to watch.

1. Will Arnold, OG, Louisiana State, 6'4, 319
2. Jordan Grimes, OG, Purdue, 6'3, 325
3. Shannon Tevaga, OG, UCLA, 6'3, 316
4. Andrew Crummey, OG, Maryland, 6'5, 301
5. Adam Kraus, OG, Michigan, 6'6, 297
6. Drew Miller, OG, Florida, 6'5, 304
7. Kirk Elder, OG, Texas A&M, 6'5, 307
8. Roy Schuening, OG, Oregon State, 6'4, 317
9. Tad Miller, OG, Boise State, 6'4, 296
10. Robert Felton, OG, Arkansas, 6'4, 328

link: http://www.newerascouting.com/index.php?c=23

K Train
09-14-2007, 11:19 PM
well, there is no guards with a first round label imo, guards and centers are usually not taken in the first although there are exception, most recently nick mangold. these guys are not really "big" names thus far, that could change around draft time but its obviously an issue that needs to be addressed. At least faneca is giving it his all this season, thats huge

BB2W
09-14-2007, 11:38 PM
Yeah, this site has the top gaurd going 29th... but a lot is gonna change from now until draft day.

BlitzburghNation
09-15-2007, 01:15 AM
Hope we are drafting 32nd :crossfingers:

Black@Gold Forever32
09-15-2007, 02:56 PM
You always can find great value at OG/C in the draft.....I actually think the Steelers should try to find a true LT......I think Marvell Smith does a solid job but he is better suited at RT and thats were he started in the NFL...Only moved to LT after Wayne Gandy left....I'm not saying start a rookie right away at LT.....But start him at RT then when he is comfortable then put him at LT......Then you can move Willie Colon to OG....Which some say he is better suited for........

But I see them drafting an OG for replacing Alan Faneca....I just rather try to find a LT.....

AZ_Steeler
09-15-2007, 05:41 PM
it's never to early to prepare for the future! :D

K Train
09-15-2007, 07:35 PM
there really isnt any "alan fanecas" this year, theres really only 2 tackles with first round grades. Jake Long and Sam Baker, so the second round should be stacked with quality olinemen......if we get baker or long we have a problem lol, we shouldnt be drafting that high no matter what

Black@Gold Forever32
09-15-2007, 07:41 PM
there really isnt any "alan fanecas" this year, theres really only 2 tackles with first round grades. Jake Long and Sam Baker, so the second round should be stacked with quality olinemen......if we get baker or long we have a problem lol, we shouldnt be drafting that high no matter what

I know the Steelers don't have a shot at Long or Baker Train...But there is another OT in this draft.....His name slips my mind right now but he should be there in the mid to late first round......:bigthumb: Plus who knows what underclassman will enter the draft?

I like Marvel Smith at LT...But I think the Steelers could use a more athletic LT and then move Smith back to RT were he first started...Of course I wouldn't put a rookie from the start at LT.....Maybe his first season in the NFL play the rook at RT.....

I don't mind Colon at RT at all trust me....But I think a true LT would make the entire Steelers Oline better.....In my opinion I think Colon could replace Faneca at LG no problem.....

K Train
09-15-2007, 07:44 PM
lol musical lineman

Black@Gold Forever32
09-15-2007, 07:55 PM
lol musical lineman

No I'm not suggesting musical lineman....I'm only suggesting the Steelers drafting a LT but at first start him off at RT until he gets his feet wet in the NFL.....Then when he is ready move him to LT then put Smith back at RT were he his better suited.....Then you can plug Colon in Faneca's LG spot...I think Willie Colon can be a great OG in the NFL...He has the perfect frame for an OG and the attitude....

Let me hear your thoughts instead of a lame *** response....:lol:

Blitzburgh55
09-15-2007, 08:07 PM
:) :+1:

K Train
09-15-2007, 08:35 PM
No I'm not suggesting musical lineman....I'm only suggesting the Steelers drafting a LT but at first start him off at RT until he gets his feet wet in the NFL.....Then when he is ready move him to LT then put Smith back at RT were he his better suited.....Then you can plug Colon in Faneca's LG spot...I think Willie Colon can be a great OG in the NFL...He has the perfect frame for an OG and the attitude....

Let me hear your thoughts instead of a lame *** response....:lol:

lol thats exactly what your suggesting, which can be really tough for a team. draw that scenario out once, the only thing you didnt mention was our uncertainty at C and RG, i dont think Colon would be a good guard, i think hes cemented himself at RT and thats a good spot for him, actually i think tackle in general is the only part of our line that could be considered solid, fanecas gone, mahan is a ???? to me and chris k and simmons just seem to wrestle over that spot all the time.....i dont really know right now, i just want to see this group play well and i'll base what i think we should do next year on that

Black@Gold Forever32
09-15-2007, 08:57 PM
lol thats exactly what your suggesting, which can be really tough for a team. draw that scenario out once, the only thing you didnt mention was our uncertainty at C and RG, i dont think Colon would be a good guard, i think hes cemented himself at RT and thats a good spot for him, actually i think tackle in general is the only part of our line that could be considered solid, fanecas gone, mahan is a ???? to me and chris k and simmons just seem to wrestle over that spot all the time.....i dont really know right now, i just want to see this group play well and i'll base what i think we should do next year on that

No its not you failed to read between the lines....Drafting a true LT would do wonders for this team....I like Marvel Smith but I think we can do better at LT...A more athletic LT would be nice to handle pass rushers...Plus Smith is better suited for RT anyway...Now I don't want to put a rookie at LT right away to protect Ben's blind side...

Thats why in 08 leave Smith at LT and then you have a rookie at RT...Nothing musical chairs about that.....Then what to do with Willie Colon? Well his frame has OG written all over it...Sure he does good at RT but I think he could be a great OG....Plus what would be better in replacing Faneca then with Willie Colon's attitude?...Plus if you move Colon at LG in the off-season...Then he has mini camp, training camp and pre-season to learn LG.....Thats plenty of time for him to get adjusted.......Again by the start of next season there won't be no musical chairs along the Oline...Those guys would have time to get into sync with each other.... Maybe I'm wrong on Colon at OG but I think he could do it.....

K Train
09-15-2007, 09:03 PM
i dunno, top LTs command alot of money and would probably start right away, i see what your saying but i dont really like colon at guard, just cause he lined up at guard for a few no contact OTAs doesnt mean he can do it, hes never played it before and thats a tough switch to make imo. like i said, give it time, time will tell what this oline does for us and what needs to be done next year

Black@Gold Forever32
09-15-2007, 09:11 PM
i dunno, top LTs command alot of money and would probably start right away, i see what your saying but i dont really like colon at guard, just cause he lined up at guard for a few no contact OTAs doesnt mean he can do it, hes never played it before and thats a tough switch to make imo. like i said, give it time, time will tell what this oline does for us and what needs to be done next year

Yes LTs command a kings ransom thats why drafting one is the best route and not signing one in free agency.....I'm not saying a rookie LT couldn't start right away at LT....But it would be in Ben's best interest to have a vet LT until the rook was ready...Thats why I would let the young guy get a year under his belt at RT....

You're right there is plenty of time until next years draft....But I'm always thinking ahead....I do that in normal every day life...lol Can't help it....:lol:

K Train
09-15-2007, 09:15 PM
really if we can get one guy, just one guy at any of the 5 positions that could be considered "great"...we have enough versatility to fill in the other 4 spots, but when faneca leaves he leaves a big void, not saying its THAT LG spot that needs to be filled, if we could get a great tackle or center we would definitly be ok because we have a solid group of guys, not a great one, but a solid one

Black@Gold Forever32
09-15-2007, 09:23 PM
really if we can get one guy, just one guy at any of the 5 positions that could be considered "great"...we have enough versatility to fill in the other 4 spots, but when faneca leaves he leaves a big void, not saying its THAT LG spot that needs to be filled, if we could get a great tackle or center we would definitly be ok because we have a solid group of guys, not a great one, but a solid one

Well Marcus McNeil went in the 2nd round......I think its safe to say an OT like McNeil would be great for the Steelers....

Now if the Steelers could get an OG as good as Faneca in nexts years draft then just draft an OG...But like you said there isn't any Faneca in the 08 draft....It seems to be a deeper draft for OTs...But then again we don't know what underclassman will come out for sure....

But for sure the Oline should be the focus....I think OG/OT and C need to be taken in next years draft...So at least two picks should be addressed for the Oline....

K Train
09-15-2007, 09:24 PM
mcneil never should have sniffed the scent of the second round.

If we could get a real quality player like him, wow, what a draft that would be...

BlitzburghRockCity
09-15-2007, 09:34 PM
You always can find great value at OG/C in the draft.....I actually think the Steelers should try to find a true LT......I think Marvell Smith does a solid job but he is better suited at RT and thats were he started in the NFL...Only moved to LT after Wayne Gandy left....I'm not saying start a rookie right away at LT.....But start him at RT then when he is comfortable then put him at LT......Then you can move Willie Colon to OG....Which some say he is better suited for........

But I see them drafting an OG for replacing Alan Faneca....I just rather try to find a LT.....

I don't see them making any change like that really mainly because Willie Colon is the starting RG now and assuming he continues to improve we'll have found our staple at RT. Colon can play both Guard and Tackle which makes him even more valuable. Marvel is talented enough to play both positions which is a big plus for us. I could see us definitely going Guard in either the 1st or 2nd round depending on how this season pans out and how high or low :crossfingers: we end up drafting.

We'll see though, but one thing is for sure the Steelers aren't afraid to take OL in the first round, especially Guards so it could happen. :bigthumb:

Black@Gold Forever32
09-15-2007, 09:39 PM

If we could get a real quality player like him, wow, what a draft that would be...

You're right McNeil shouldn't have sniffed the 2nd round at all...But thats why the draft is awesome...Players slip all the time...

BlitzburghRockCity
09-15-2007, 09:42 PM

Are you sure there's another draft that can compare to 2007? I mean it's not like we're going to get another DSep or anything :lol:

K Train
09-15-2007, 09:44 PM
i meant what a pick, nothing will ever overtake d-sep in the 4th round....like i saw in my dreams lol.

You can poke fun as much as you want but you know hes great lol

Black@Gold Forever32
09-15-2007, 09:53 PM
i meant what a pick, nothing will ever overtake d-sep in the 4th round....like i saw in my dreams lol.

He is awesome........He will make the Pro Bowl for years to come.....:bigthumb:

BlitzburghRockCity
09-15-2007, 09:56 PM
The fact that Ktrain called it makes it even more scary :lol:

K Train
09-15-2007, 10:17 PM
i didnt just call it, i wrote it in stone months prior lol

BlackGold4vr
09-16-2007, 09:27 PM
Now if the Steelers could get an OG as good as Faneca in nexts years draft then just draft an OG...But like you said there isn't any Faneca in the 08 draft....It seems to be a deeper draft for OTs...But then again we don't know what underclassman will come out for sure....

But for sure the Oline should be the focus....I think OG/OT and C need to be taken in next years draft...So at least two picks should be addressed for the Oline....

I agree that the O-line should be the point of emphasis for next years draft. That and a couple more linebackers. Haggans is in his last year of his contract and no offers have been made. Farrior is also getting into the twilight of his career. Woodley and Timmons were great additions but we need more. You can never have too many great backers when you run a 3-4 defense. :2cents:

K Train
09-16-2007, 10:03 PM
the oline played amazing today

SteelCzar76
09-16-2007, 11:22 PM
I hope we're picking 32nd and trade up and select Rey Maualuga as air apparent to James Farrior. James is still a stud,...but he is getting a little "long in the tooth" for his position. And i think it would benefit us to have a "elite" young player that he could groom as his replacement.

But hey,......this is just my "hang up".

TEEMONT
09-17-2007, 02:20 PM

I am prety sure train would have sex with D-Sep.

and on that note...here's some "theTodd" clips from Scrubs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypqBpHB-hHo

NOVA STEELERS
09-25-2007, 01:18 PM
I'd love for them to just get a deal done with faneca and end the situation, but I know the STEELERS are not going to pay him what he and his agent think he deserves........