PDA

View Full Version : If you lose a draft pick......

Stairwayto7
09-13-2007, 09:39 AM
is it a big, big deal???? Other than maybe high first rounder?

Lets take NE, since they have been caught cheating. If they lose a third or fourtth round pick next season, is it really a huge deal? With all the free agents out there, that would just give them money to load up on a descent fa? I do not think that draft picks is a good way to reprimand a team for cheating. Cash is not the answer either. I think coaches suspensions, and forfeit the game that they got caught cheating. not all thier games and thier rings, just the games that can be proven.

2007 Jets 1-0 patsies 0-1 Bill suspended 6 games.

AZ_Steeler
09-13-2007, 12:06 PM
You bring up an interesting point Cleve, because not only will they have more money to go out and get more FA's but they will also be able to avoid paying any new Rookie contracts down the road so it free's up even more money. Maybe if draft picks is the solution then they remove their Rookie Cap money from their overall cap so they don't have the extra spending. :dunno:

Blitzburgh55
09-13-2007, 12:07 PM
Ive started to do research on Draft picks intrades before this happen the article will be ready in a week or 2

Ambridge
09-13-2007, 04:40 PM
Taking away draft picks is a bunch of hogwash!!
You can't miss or lose something you don't have so it's only mere speculation as to what or any value is lost if there are draft pick penalties.

If Roger Goodell wants to send a loud and clear message that will force every team to take notice of then he should declare that the Patriots forfeit the Week 1 victory over the Jets.
A penalty/punishment like that would stop that kind of stuff dead in its tracks....no doubt at all.

Take away a draft pick.....Pffft!!...no big deal and the Pats along with Belicheat will thumb there noses at the Commish.
Take away a win...now you're talking about the playoffs...possibly home-field advantage...that will hit 'em where it hurts.

Prosdo
09-13-2007, 05:12 PM
I heard the Commish is thinking about taking away their first round pick. That could hurt them.

black an gold 4 life
09-13-2007, 11:33 PM
they should b on probation like they do n college they shouldn't b allowed 2 go 2 the playoffs no matter what there record 4 2 years, then all that would stop if they forfited every game they played they would have 2 give back there three superbowls titles this is not the first time it's the first time they been caught, they suck an so does roger goodell what an wus he just gave them an slap on the hand

Stairwayto7
09-14-2007, 05:40 AM
I heard the Commish is thinking about taking away their first round pick. That could hurt them.

I understand and respect your point here, but I disagree. The pats will make the playoffs, so your right, it will be a first round pick. But that is a ton of money for a first rounder, that they will free up and spend on some high paid free agent. This is a win/ win situation for the patsies. the fine is nothing to kraft and bill.

Bottom line is, the patsies cheated, and won games because of it. But the penalty did not fit the crime.

Prosdo
09-14-2007, 10:21 AM
The commish will take away a first round pick, but to me not really a penalty considering they have SF's first round pick. They traded with the 49ers so the 49ers could get Joe Staley. So regardless they will still have a 1st round pick.

Stairwayto7
09-14-2007, 10:24 AM
The commish will take away a first round pick, but to me not really a penalty considering they have SF's first round pick. They traded with the 49ers so the 49ers could get Joe Staley. So regardless they will still have a 1st round pick.

Damn, I forgot about that, so that means its even more worthless. The commish ought to be ashamed. Thanks prosdo, I either forgot or never knew!

Mach1
09-14-2007, 12:12 PM

If I remember right the cheats have 3-4 first round picks. So it equals to about nothing. Goodell should do what college does, Ban them from the post season. Then that way their cheating ways will get them nowhere this year.

Hburg
09-14-2007, 12:45 PM
This is the first instance of double-talk by Goodell. He has made his name so far by fighting against cheating and misconduct in the NFL. Yet in the most perfect example to-date of cheating, he has done little more than call Bellicheck, "a very bad boy." So Goodell took away his allowance for the week? So he can't pick in the first round next year at the Patriots spot? The Patties already have the 49ers first rounder, (as someone already mentioned), and as we have seen this past off-season the, "Patriots way: build through the draft," mantra is ludicrous.

Goodell can't have the Patriots forfeit the game. If he did, it would open a can of worms of events past and present that changed the outcome of the game that players, coaches, fans, owners, sponsors, analysts, talk-show hosts, etc. would deem as cheating and demand the forfeit of the accused team. The game must stand. But there should be a more personal punishment directed at Bellicheck. Probation would be a good suggestion. Any misconduct regarding football, no matter how slight, would be grounds for an even further investigation of his coaching practices. To my knowledge I've never heard of a coach being suspended in the NFL, but this may be a case in which I would support such a decision. Knowing Bill's attitude toward the game, it would be punishment enough for the control freak to have to forfeit his captain's chair for 60 minutes on Sunday.

Considering Bellicheck's reputation for being a shady character regarding his injury reports, etc., I am surprised that not more has been done. If Goodell is not careful, he is going to be accused by Kanye West of hating black people. What I mean is that his action so far has polarized his position against cheating and misconduct. Players that have been caught using prohibited drugs, regardless of their explanations, have been swiftly dealt suspensions along with humiliating new reports. But apparently cheating is only deserving of punishment when you are wearing pads instead of a headset. Cheating is cheating. I was taught that cheaters never win, but Sunday has proven me otherwise.

Goodell needs to refine his stance against cheating. Either he is going to lay down the law or ignore it, there is no in between. Goodell either treats Bill Bellicheck and Shawn Merriman the same or he forfeits his role as lawman commissioner. Right now I'm seeing the latter, which is a trend I am anxious about as the years progress under Goodell's watch. If this is how he continues to patrol the NFL, in five years the Patriots will have one 3 more super bowls, and each successive one will have been sponsored by Sony, Panasonic, and Best Buy, respectively; and each draft for the next decade will have at least 3 "freebee" picks auctioned to the highest bidder. Jerry Jones will win all but 2, where Matt Millen outbid him and drafted more wide receievers. The Patriots won't care though, by then they will have bought every Free Agent in the NFL.

This was supposed to be an objective analysis but it turned into cynical commentary. Oh well, f*ck the Patriots being a "classy" organization.

BuFu

Stairwayto7
09-17-2007, 10:13 AM
I agree, goodel is not taking the right stance here. the penalty did not fit the crime, he needed to do something to hurt the team this season. bill should be suspeneded without pay, and no fine.

Forged in Steel
09-17-2007, 10:23 AM
This is B.S. because like you said the Patriots get the 49ers pick and it doesn't even matter if the get both their picks taken away because they finish almost last every year in the pick standings because they cheat. :willybs::willybs::willybs:

BlitzburghRockCity
Ive started to do research on Draft picks intrades before this happen the article will be ready in a week or 2

Be sure to let us know as soon as it's ready so we can check it out and see about putting it up on the homepage :yesnod:

As far as the draftpicks, I think it's a bunch of crap too. Belichick should be suspended for atleast 4 games, they should lose their 1st & 2nd round pick in 2008, they should be fined at least 1 million dollars and the person who was actually doing the filming should be fired and banned from the NFL forever.

Taking away some paltry draft picks and fining them chump change does nothing. It's because everybody in the league loves Tom Brady and the Pats so all they are doing is making it look good by fining them but in actuality it's a total joke !

AZ_Steeler
Goodell has requested they turn over all tape and notes from the game against the Jets. Not sure what good that will do because who knows how long they've been doing it...

BlitzburghRockCity
09-17-2007, 10:25 AM
It's all a bunch of crap man, turning over the tapes is just another way to make the NFL look like it's doing something bad to their poster children :nonod: :cursin:

Forged in Steel
09-17-2007, 10:26 AM
Goodell has requested they turn over all tape and notes from the game against the Jets. Not sure what good that will do because who knows how long they've been doing it...

I'm guessing since 2001. Jerome Bettis said they def. cheating in the 2004 AFC Championship Game last night on NBC.

AZ_Steeler
09-17-2007, 11:05 AM
I'm guessing since 2001. Jerome Bettis said they def. cheating in the 2004 AFC Championship Game last night on NBC.
Ward has also been quoted as saying they cheated in the 02 AFCCG as well.

Stairwayto7
09-17-2007, 11:18 AM

Jerome also said that Kordell was a good QB!

okiesteeler
09-17-2007, 01:59 PM
In Jerome's defense (even though this is thread hijacking) Kordell could have been a good QB, the Steelers messed him up by trying to make him a pocket passer and taking away his legs, he was best when he rolled out to throw the ball. Then we changed OC and they wanted him to stand in the pocket and throw and he was not capable of doing such.