PDA

View Full Version : Pittsburgh leads nation in female NFL fans

digdug
09-13-2007, 12:57 AM
source (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=An36mrbzd6a05ECRoqsFKjlDubYF?slug=ap-steelers-women&prov=ap&type=lgns)

By ALAN ROBINSON, AP Sports Writer
September 12, 2007

PITTSBURGH (AP) -- The Pittsburgh Steelers have known for years their fan base included countless women -- that was evidenced by all the pink official team jerseys they sell and the hundreds who attend their female training camp each summer.

Yes, more than 300 women spend money each year to go through a simulated day of Steelers training camp, replete with blocking and running drills and a trip to the training table. The club also sponsors a Football Knowledge for Women classroom-type course.

Now the Steelers have proof that, when it comes to building a female fan base, Pittsburgh does it better than any other NFL market.

According to a Scarborough Sports Marketing survey of 220,354 residents in 75 United States markets conducted last year, Pittsburgh has, by far, the largest base of NFL fans who are women.

Pittsburgh is the runaway leader, with 34 percent of the women living in the Steelers' market identifying themselves as fans. Green Bay was second with 29.4 percent, but no other market surveyed had even one-quarter of its women identify themselves as fans.

Buffalo was third with 23.7 percent, followed by Cincinnati (22.8 percent), Kansas City (22.4 percent), Jacksonville (21.7 percent), Baltimore and Boston (21.5 percent) and Denver, Tampa-St. Petersburg and Washington, D.C. (20.9 percent).

Nationally, the average was 16 percent, which means that Pittsburgh has more than twice the number of female pro football fans than the average market, based on the survey's results.

Obviously, all those Terrible Towels inside Heinz Field aren't being twirled only by men.

Among men, Pittsburgh was second only to Green Bay in the percentage of fans -- 38 percent of the men in Green Bay identified themselves as fans, compared to 35.1 percent in Pittsburgh. Also in the top 10 were Jacksonville (34.9 percent), Boston and Denver (33.3); Buffalo, Indianapolis, Kansas City and Philadelphia (32.1) and Cincinnati (31.5).

Pittsburgh also placed in the Top 10 in percentage of fans who are college graduates (No. 4, 17.5 percent), percentage of fans with at least one child in the family (No. 6, 23.8 percent) and percentage of fans who are between the ages of 18 and 24 (No. 7, 7.2 percent).

The results were not surprising, at least given the long-standing loyalty of Steelers fans -- the team has sold out every non-strike home game since 1972.

According to a survey also taken by Scarborough Sports Marketing before the February 2006 Super Bowl in which the Steelers beat Seattle 21-10, Pittsburgh was the top market for fan loyalty in the NFL, with 64 percent of all consumers saying they were "very or somewhat interested" in the NFL.

This really doesn't surprise me - look how many great Steeler fan ladies we have on this site alone. On a personal note - it makes it a whole lot more enjoyable for me when I can enjoy football with a lady who knows what and who she is talking about (if she's even talking at all, because she's watching the game, dammit!!)

As if it isn't obvious - The Steelers have the greatest fan base and fans in the NFL!! We're smart (see college grads above), loyal (above), and diverse. :tt02:

Steelersfan
09-13-2007, 01:02 AM
It's because of all us "hot" guys that are Steeler fans.......lol They just can't resist!

MotoF150
09-13-2007, 03:37 AM
The women around here are overweight and the black jerseys make them look skinny, thats why women are buying them.

BlitzburghRockCity
09-13-2007, 06:10 AM
Doesn't surprise me one bit, I see countless females wearing Steeler shirts, jackets, jersey's, you name it ! Many of them are just as fanatical and passionate as the guys, and some more so ! The Steeler Nation has the best fans in the world hands down !

floodcitygirl
09-13-2007, 06:30 AM
I noticed this poll was based on the "Steeler's market". I wonder how much territory it covers? If they didn't go outside of Western PA then you know those percentages will be much higher.....probably for the men too! :tt02:

Stairwayto7
09-13-2007, 08:04 AM
It's because of all us "hot" guys that are Steeler fans.......lol They just can't resist!

I would never use "hot and guys" in the same sentence!!!!!!!!:nono:

I have more female Steelers fans at my house on game day, than males. So it does not surprise me. maybe women are smarter than men??? not the blonde ones though

memphissteelergirl
09-13-2007, 10:10 AM
The women around here are overweight and the black jerseys make them look skinny, thats why women are buying them.

Ah...real intelligent response. Asshat...:biteme:

TampaSteelGirl
09-13-2007, 11:16 AM
Of course we do!!! :tt02: But I was surprised to see Green Bay has the most fans that are men!! Come on boys step up and start recruiting!! JK!!

The Steeler bar I go to in Tampa is FULL of Steeler fans that are girls!! Ratio is close, women to men. It's cool!!!

PsychoWard
09-13-2007, 12:25 PM
Of course we do!!! :tt02: But I was surprised to see Green Bay has the most fans that are men!! Come on boys step up and start recruiting!! JK!!

The Steeler bar I go to in Tampa is FULL of Steeler fans that are girls!! Ratio is close, women to men. It's cool!!!

green bay may have more fans in green bay but the steeler nation is world wide!! no matter where you go you see black and gold!:tt02::tt02::tt02:

Stairwayto7
09-13-2007, 01:22 PM
I hope there not basing it on how many pink jerseys are sold, because Psychoward still has a pink Kordell Jersey

TampaSteelGirl
09-13-2007, 01:38 PM
green bay may have more fans in green bay but the steeler nation is world wide!! no matter where you go you see black and gold!:tt02::tt02::tt02:

Very true!!! :tt02:

steelcurtain09
09-13-2007, 06:46 PM
You know it!! :tt02::tt02:

JB 67
09-13-2007, 07:57 PM
I hope there not basing it on how many pink jerseys are sold, because Psychoward still has a pink Kordell Jersey

LoL :cope:

MDSteel15
09-13-2007, 09:57 PM
I know this much, I've seen the Steelers play 3 times live in my life(once here in Maryland and 2 in Pitt), they won all 3 times!!! I wasn't drunk and I can tell you this much, the Steeler women are hotter than the RatBird girls!!!! All hail the sexiest female football fans in the land:hail:

Koopa
09-13-2007, 10:14 PM
Ah...real intelligent response. Asshat...:biteme:

don't feed the trolls

Prosdo
09-14-2007, 10:17 AM
don't feed the trolls

Agreed. No big surprise the Steelers have the largest amount of female fans.

StlersGuy
09-14-2007, 11:20 AM
best fans in the world are steeler fans

memphissteelergirl
09-14-2007, 11:50 AM
don't feed the trolls

You're right, of course. But idiots like that work my last nerve (and since I have been hobbling around on crutches for the last several weeks, I ain't got that many left.)

GoBenGo
09-14-2007, 06:26 PM
#1 one fans in the land . Chicks dig Steelers.
I guess dem broads know more about football than they get credit for.:lol:

Steelersfan
09-15-2007, 12:01 AM
I would never use "hot and guys" in the same sentence!!!!!!!!:nono:

I have more female Steelers fans at my house on game day, than males. So it does not surprise me. maybe women are smarter than men??? not the blonde ones though

Well you just did. :nono:

BlitzburghRockCity
09-15-2007, 06:21 AM
It's great talking Steelers football with a woman that really knows what she's talking about. The female fans we have here on SA are evidence of that, everyone of them are knowedgable about football and our black n gold and can easily hold their own in any football conversation.

GoBenGo
09-15-2007, 12:52 PM
When you have a franchise that has values, ethics, and talent like the Steelers, they draw a fanbase of a similar mind set. These qualities give us the best, most knowledgable, passionate fans. It just so happens is that the majority of women also look for those qualities.

That is why chicks dig Steeler dudes!:flex:
:tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02:

manofsteel
09-15-2007, 08:08 PM
I live in the City and I see hot honeys wearing balck and gold from Fri till SUn

StlersGuy
09-15-2007, 08:57 PM
I live in the City and I see hot honeys wearing balck and gold from Fri till SUn

:cabbagepatch:steeler woman rules

ToothAche
09-04-2008, 04:16 PM
..........and I love every single one of those ladies..........

:hump: :OA02:

steelerschick1220
09-04-2008, 04:32 PM
This is awesome!!!!!!!!! Chicks dig the Steelers!!!!!! I guarantee you there are tons of girls out there who love football. I knew absolutely nothing about the game when I watched my first game, but I loved it!!!!!!! And now I have a semi decent knowledge of how the game is played. I love football, it is just an amazing sport.

BTW, to the dude who made the crack about us all being overweight, he can speak for himself. I certainly do not fit into that category.

DBR96A
09-04-2008, 05:32 PM
What I found disconcerting about that survey is that the Steelers only rank 7th in the 18-to-24 group. I do not want to see our fan base fall back into the pack anytime soon.

TampaSteelGirl
09-04-2008, 06:43 PM
I will say this...I don't ever buy pink Steeler stuff because I feel the Steelers are not pink......they are Black and Gold!!! :greengrin:

steelerschick1220
09-04-2008, 08:15 PM
^ I love pink as much as the next girl, but yeah, I would probably buy black and gold as well.