PDA

View Full Version : Steelers better without former coaches?

Forged in Steel
09-12-2007, 01:32 PM
I know it's early in the season, and the Steelers just played the Browns. But don't you think since Bill Cowher, Russ Grimm, and Ken Whisenhunt left that the Steelers are way better than before? I think so, so far.

AZ_Steeler
09-12-2007, 01:45 PM
I couldn't agree more. I was watching the Cardinals the other night and it looked like the Steelers playing but they changed their colors! Ken would have left the same offense in tack, would have been running the same ole crap we've seen the last few years and we would all be griping about it!

Tomlin has come in and instilled his way of coaching and the team has bought into it thus far and are looking really good!

DBR96A
09-12-2007, 01:48 PM
I posted the following on another football message board:

Ken Whisenhunt played "Billy Ball" late in the game, and paid dearly for it (http://www.sportsrefuge.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=3743)

Here's a brief analysis of "Billy Ball": Whenever the Steelers would get a comfortable lead (say, more than 10 points), Bill Cowher's mode of operation was to let the defense win the game. As a result, the offense served no function other than burning a little bit of time off the clock before the ball was punted back to the other team. Run, run, run, punt. That's what the play-calling amounts to while trying to preserve a lead the "Billy Ball" way. (And people wonder why Ben Roethlisberger's pass attempts were so low whenever the Steelers developed a comfortable lead.) No effort was made to even convert a first down to burn even more time off the clock, although occasionally the RBs would screw up and get enough yardage for a first down anyway. After the ball was punted away (which happened more often than not), the defense would then resort to a soft "zone" defense with a three-man rush. This approach made plenty of mediocre QBs look decent for a brief period of time in the fourth quarter, and gave many Steeler fans the jitters. Four classic examples of "Billy Ball" include:

1994 AFC Championship Game vs. San Diego. Leading 13-3 at the start of the fourth quarter, the Steelers allow two unanswered TDs, and are subsequently denied a trip to the Super Bowl.

2001 regular season vs. Minnesota. A comfortable 21-3 lead with 10 minutes left in the game becomes a nerve-racking 21-18 win when the Steelers start playing too soft too early, allowing two unanswered TDs. Only a defensive stand late in the game after a Kordell Stewart fumble inside the Pittsburgh 20-yard line preserved the win.

2001 regular season at Cincinnati. Entering the fourth quarter with a 23-10 lead, Bengals QB Jon Kitna starts passing, and passing, and passing some more. Some 68 pass attempts by Kitna and 411 passing yards later, the Steelers lose 26-23 in overtime. This game is the lone blot on Cowher's record in games in which the Steelers led by more than 10 points. (What that record doesn't detail is how a great many of those wins were closer than they needed to be.)

2002 regular season vs. Atlanta. With 10 minutes left in the game and a 34-17 lead, the Steelers defense starts playing soft zones, allowing a 3rd-and-22, a 3rd-and-23 and a 3rd-and-24 to be converted by the Falcons all in the same drive! Add in a slew of half-assed running plays on offense, and a fumble deep in Pittsburgh territory by RB Amos Zereoue, and you end up with a 34-34 tie.

Tonight, Whisenhunt made the mistake of playing "Billy Ball" with a lead of less than a TD. I hated "Billy Ball" even when the Steelers had a comfortable lead; it struck me as a lack of killer instinct, which is what championship-caliber teams NEED. Even dumber is the man who starts playing soft with five minutes left and only a four-point lead. Maybe the Rooney family made the right decision by hiring from outside the organization after all.

BlitzburghRockCity
09-12-2007, 01:59 PM
Only time will tell if our new staff will truly work out. So far indications are definitely positive and emotions are high as we head into week 2. Once we play a few more games this season we'll be able to better evaluate where we are headed in 2007 but so far so good.

BBG7
09-12-2007, 03:28 PM
I do believe this is why the Rooney's went outside the organization and hired Tomlin. I do believe we are better off, but only time will tell!

Mach1
09-12-2007, 03:55 PM
Think I'll wait till the end of the season to make any judgments.

Black@Gold Forever32
09-12-2007, 04:03 PM
Well even if this year is a play-off season or not....It was time for a change anyway.....I think it was time for the Cowher era to end..........I like the new direction of the team and the Steelers are better for it in the long run...

digdug
09-12-2007, 04:04 PM
I do believe this is why the Rooney's went outside the organization and hired Tomlin. I do believe we are better off, but only time will tell!

I agree, the Rooneys may have known that if they stayed in house with the existing coaches it would have been the status quo. One thing about the status quo, you never grow as a team. IMO MT and crew will help this team grow and become more than they ever could have been under Whiz or Grimm. :tt02: :tt02: :cope: :cope:

Stlrs4Life
09-12-2007, 07:13 PM
Only time will tell about our new coaches, so good so far. I like your analysis on BC though.

black an gold 4 life
09-12-2007, 11:48 PM
not only r we better but watch we will win an superbowl quicker with tomilin tomlins better prepared he has the team focused not taking any team litely the defense is definitely better, the offense once it gets on the same page is going 2 b dangerous...............we just have 2 make sure no one like belidick is reading our signals (lol)

MotoF150
09-13-2007, 04:42 AM
Its much too early to tell, the only reason the Steelers looked good against the Browns is because the Browns were soooo terrible and they gave the ball away. We need to see how the Steelers do against a good team, next is Buffalo, good team? We will see.

Stairwayto7
09-13-2007, 09:07 AM
I know it's early in the season, and the Steelers just played the Browns. But don't you think since Bill Cowher, Russ Grimm, and Ken Whisenhunt left that the Steelers are way better than before? I think so, so far.

I beleive, like everyone else did before he left, that Whiz is a good coach. But i do like the switch, although its only one game, just because it changes things up some. Some the conservative crap out. And Ben seems more confident, and convinced that this system trusts him, and will work.