PDA

View Full Version : Goodell determines Pats broke rules; Belichick fined $500K

AZ_Steeler
09-10-2007, 07:02 PM
Link to story... (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/recap;_ylt=Ar8nGw1J0.al6_JZoiDUPrtDubYF?gid=200709 09020&prov=ap)
So what if this is true, do they forfeit the game or anything? :dunno:

NEW YORK (AP) -- The NFL is looking into claims a New England Patriots employee was videotaping signals by Jets coaches on New York's sideline during the season opener, according to ESPN.com.

ESPN.com reported Monday that NFL security confiscated a video camera and tape from a Patriots employee during New England's 38-14 victory Sunday. The employee was accused of aiming his camera at the Jets' defensive coaches, who were sending signals out to the players, sources told the Web site.

The league was also investigating radio frequency issues that occurred during the game, the sources told ESPN.com. According to the report, the camera and tape were forwarded to the league offices.

The story was first reported on the Web site of Jets Confidential, which said the Jets chief of security alerted NFL security about the issue during the game.

The NFL had no comment, and neither did the teams. Teams are not allowed to videotape on the field during games.

"With anything along those lines, those are all league-related matters, and anything that deals with an issue like this or anything on a team-by-team basis, those all go to the league," coach Eric Mangini said in his news conference Monday.

When asked if the Jets had in fact notified the league, he said: "It's all a league matter."

Patriots spokesman Stacey James declined comment. New England cornerback Ellis Hobbs said he was unaware of the controversy, and unwilling to believe his team had cheated.

"We put too many hours in as individuals and a team to have to go out and cheat," he said. "If it's true, obviously, we're in the wrong. But I'm standing behind my team, my coaches. I don't think we do that stuff."

Blitzburgh55
09-10-2007, 07:03 PM
They will lose draft picks

BlackGold4vr
09-10-2007, 07:47 PM
Ray Ray is playing with 1 arm and the Raven offense can't hold onto the ball.

:clap:

okiesteeler
09-11-2007, 07:28 AM
I think the NFL should go NCAA rules violation on them and ban them from the playoffs for 3 to 5 years to teach them a lesson

BBG7
09-11-2007, 11:56 AM
It is one thing after another with these guys. They are about as unethical as you can get. I would like to see them lose a draft pick, but maybe having to forfeit the game would teach them more of a lesson. This supposedly is not the first time they have been caught doing this. LAst year in GB the Packers kicked this same guy out for video taping something during their game with the Patsies. It's sad when you have to resort to cheating!

digdug
09-11-2007, 12:00 PM
Just another in a long line of sorry @$$, classless, cheater moves by Belichick.
I think a team should do the old "he zigged, when he should have zagged" move on him and send a TE to plow his knees.

Forged in Steel
09-11-2007, 12:05 PM
I knew they wre cheating! They should look into the 2001, 2003, and 2004 AFC Championship Games and Super Bowls XXXVI, XXXVIII, and XXXIX.

BBG7
09-11-2007, 12:08 PM
I knew they wre cheating! They should look into the 2001, 2003, and 2004 AFC Championship Games and Super Bowls XXXVI, XXXVIII, and XXXIX.

It would be hard to find anything now...but it wouldn't suprise me. Like I said GB kicked the same guy out that was caught this week. Makes you wonder!

Prosdo
09-11-2007, 12:58 PM
Supposedly this isn't the first time. After Monday night football on Sports Center they said this is not the first time the Patriots have been accused of this and supposedly it was the same staff member.

dick rasile
09-11-2007, 01:30 PM
Link to story... (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/recap;_ylt=Ar8nGw1J0.al6_JZoiDUPrtDubYF?gid=200709 09020&prov=ap)
So what if this is true, do they forfeit the game or anything? :dunno:
I believe that I heard that same excuse years ago in baseball and I remember how they filmed it happening. The results was changes in out field seating and I don't see the NFL doing a damn thing about it.

BlitzburghRockCity
09-11-2007, 01:38 PM
The lovable Pats, every media outlet's poster child for the latest dynasty that can do no wrong, has a blemish...oh no, whatever will we do with Mr Perfect Tom Brady and his God's gift to the NFL coaches in Bill Belichick ??

BR7
09-11-2007, 01:40 PM
Treat them like the NCAA... no tv coverage, no playoffs, heavy fines, loose draft picks.. invistage deeper to a possible loss of Championships..

Win at all costs I suppose for those asshats.

StlersGuy
09-11-2007, 06:20 PM
NFL commissioner Roger Goodell has determined that the New England Patriots violated league rules Sunday when they videotaped defensive signals by the New York Jets' coaches, according to league sources.

NFL spokesman Greg Aiello: "No decision has been rendered, we haven't announced anything and the club hasn't been notified."

NFL security officials confiscated a camera and videotape from Patriots video assistant Matt Estrella on the New England sidelines when it was suspected he was recording the Jets' defensive signals. Sources say the visual evidence confirmed the suspicion.

Goodell is considering severe sanctions, including the possibility of docking the Patriots "multiple draft picks" because it is the competitive violation in the wake of a stern warning to all teams since he became commissioner, the sources said. The Patriots have been suspected in previous incidents.

The Patriots will be allowed an opportunity to present their case by Friday, sources said, most likely via the telephone.

NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said on Tuesday that no official decision has been made and that the club has not been notified.

The league also was reviewing a possible violation into the number of radio frequencies the Patriots were using during Sunday's game, sources said. The team did not have a satisfactory explanation when asked about possible irregularities in its communication setup during the game.

Goodell is expected to have a decision no later than Friday but that is not set in stone.

Chris Mortensen covers the NFL for ESPN.

source (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3014677)

black an gold 4 life
09-11-2007, 06:34 PM
wow so much 4 bill the brillant h.c. no wonder he won so many games it not hard 2 do when ur reading the other teams signals, he should b kicked out of the nfl he's an thug they should have 2 give back there superbowls trophies an they should have 2 forfit the game.....................they stink this is the king of stuff that shouldn't b tolerated come on roger man up an stick it 2 the patroits. this type of behavior is criminal,i knew i hated the pats 4 an reason, an that's because i hate CHEATERS BILL BELIDICK U SUCK

StlersGuy
09-11-2007, 06:36 PM
I want the NFL to kick beldick out of the NFL

Prosdo
09-11-2007, 07:01 PM
That's pathetic. I hope they get what they deserve. There's no need for that.

Blitzburgh55
09-11-2007, 07:08 PM
IF you aint cheating you aint trying

StlersGuy
09-11-2007, 07:13 PM
That's pathetic. I hope they get what they deserve. There's no need for that.

I would love to see the NFL take away draft picks from them and make there ******* of a coach step down for good and never allow him back into the NFL to coach

RW318
09-11-2007, 07:26 PM
IF you aint cheating you aint trying

And if you're cheating...you just aren't that good.

Don't you just love hearing about how classy that P.O.S. organization is all the time?

StlersGuy
09-11-2007, 07:30 PM
I would like to know just how many wins they got because of doing crap like this and if they find they did cheat can they strip there super bowl wins off of them ?

Stlrs4Life
09-11-2007, 09:55 PM
Tomlin not surprised by New England rumors
Tuesday, September 11, 2007
Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

New Steelers coach Mike Tomlin did not accuse New England of cheating, but said the rumors have been around and "where there is smoke, there's fire.''

Tomlin, at his press conference today, responded to the allegations that the Patriots have used cameras illegally to focus on opposing coaches along the sideline in order to steal their signals.

"In terms of confirming it, it's never been confirmed in any instances to my knowledge," Tomlin said. "But usually, where there is smoke, there's fire. Those rumors are founded on something. So it's not totally shocking, no."

Tomlin also said that starting cornerback Deshea Townsend's groin injury might keep him out of a few practices this week. He said backup linebacker Clint Kriewaldt has a minor shoulder injury. Neither is expected to miss Sunday's game against Buffalo in Heinz Field.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07254/816573-66.stm (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07254/816573-66.stm)

SteelerFan87
09-11-2007, 11:36 PM
Found this pic. Belichick's new endorsement deal!

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o156/GreekSteeler/cheaties.jpg

BBG7
09-13-2007, 08:44 PM
NFL network said the punishment is in. Both Belichick and the Pats are fined and if the Pats make the playoffs they lose a first round draft pick (but they have another one anyways) If they don't make the playoffs the lose a 2nd and 3rd (I think they said).

Pretty weak if you ask me. They got off easy esp. since they have 2 first round picks next year.

25MVPKing
09-13-2007, 09:14 PM
Link to verify BBG7's comments. (http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d80251b7e&template=without-video&confirm=true)

StlersGuy
09-13-2007, 09:39 PM
the nfl went to lite on them

AZ_Steeler
09-13-2007, 10:08 PM
That's a f'n slap on the the hand!!!! Total BS! :cursin:

Blitzburgh55
09-13-2007, 10:43 PM
NEW YORK -- New England Patriots coach Bill Belichick was fined the NFL maximum of $500,000 Thursday and the Patriots were ordered to pay $250,000 for spying on an opponent's defensive signals.

Commissioner Roger Goodell also ordered the team to give up next year's first-round draft choice if it reaches the playoffs and second- and third-round picks if it doesn't.

"This episode represents a calculated and deliberate attempt to avoid longstanding rules designed to encourage fair play and promote honest competition on the playing field," Goodell said in a letter to the Patriots.

The videotaping came to light after a camera was confiscated from Patriots video assistant Matt Estrella while he was on the New York Jets' sideline during New England's 38-14 win last Sunday at Giants Stadium. Goodell will not change the outcome of the game.

Goodell said he had considered suspending Belichick but didn't "largely because I believe that the discipline I am imposing of a maximum fine and forfeiture of a first-round draft choice, or multiple draft choices, is in fact more significant and long-lasting, and therefore more effective, than a suspension."

New England, strengthened by the addition of Randy Moss and two other first-rate wide receivers as well as linebacker Adalius Thomas, is considered one of the favorites to win the Super Bowl for the fourth time since the 2001 season. If the Patriots lose their first-rounder next season they still will have a first-round pick, obtained from San Francisco in the deal that brought Moss from Oakland.
NFL rules state "no video recording devices of any kind are permitted to be in use in the coaches' booth, on the field, or in the locker room during the game'' and that all video or coaching purposes must be shot from locations "enclosed on all sides with a roof overhead."

That was re-emphasized in a memo sent Sept. 6 to NFL head coaches and general managers. In it, Ray Anderson, the league's executive vice president of football operations wrote: "Videotaping of any type, including but not limited to taping of an opponent's offensive or defensive signals, is prohibited on the sidelines, in the coaches' booth, in the locker room, or at any other locations accessible to club staff members during the game."

The NFL statement said Goodell believed Patriots owner Robert Kraft was unaware of Belichick's actions.

But it said the commissioner believed penalties should be imposed on the club because "Coach Belichick not only serves as the head coach but also has substantial control over all aspects of New England's football operations. His actions and decisions are properly attributed to the club."

NFL coaches long have suspected opponents of spying. In the early 1970s, the late George Allen, coach of the Washington Redskins, routinely would send a security man into the woods surrounding the team's practice facility because he suspected there were spies from other teams there.

And coaches like Seattle's Mike Holmgren and Philadelphia's Andy Reid, among others, always cover their mouths when calling plays from the sideline because they fear other teams have lip readers trying to determine their calls.

The action against Belichick is the latest in a series of harsh disciplinary actions taken by Goodell, who took office last Sept. 1, succeeding Paul Tagliabue.

The most notable were the indefinite suspension of Atlanta quarterback Michael Vick after he pleaded guilty to a federal dogfighting conspiracy and the one-year suspension of Tennessee cornerback Adam "Pacman'' Jones after numerous run-ins with police.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3018338

Iron City South
09-13-2007, 10:47 PM
At max of $750K fine? .... Are you f'ing serious? .... What a total f'ing joke. So a coach getting caught allowing HGH gets a 4 game suspension and fined, but a coach getting caught "Cheating" during the game by videotaping plays being called in and undoubtedly manipulating the outcome of the game gets no time off?

Considering how many teams came out this week with stories about the Pats questionable and unethical practices over the past 10 years:

- Where's Goodell's commitment to broaden the scope of this incident by conducting an "in-depth" investigateion to find out how far this goes back and to what extent? .... :dunno:

- Where's the Bilichick suspension for at least 6 games ... if not the rest of the year? :dunno:

- Where's the multi-year draft pick forefiture that really sends a message so that other teams never think of crossing this line? :dunno:

- Where's the justice for a franchise just caught RED-HANDED for cheating? :dunno:

Total bullshit ..... :yesnod: If you all remember, the Steelers lost a draft pick for practicing in pads when they weren't supposed to!!!! ..... Where's the justice that fits the crime?

Kraft is one of 32 elite NFL franchise owners who also happens to be a billionaire. He wakes up in the morning and has the maid wipe his dogs *** with fresh, crisp Woodrow Wilsons for the love of Christ!!!! .... Do you think he's going to miss $750K? He's probably laughing his *** off right now and giving Bilichick high 5's and a nice new $500K bonus to help him pay for his fine. :banging:

okiesteeler
09-13-2007, 11:13 PM
Not harsh enough, but I guess it is all that they are going to get, I wonder how many of their super bowl wins, can be attributed to this type of behavior

black an gold 4 life
09-13-2007, 11:27 PM
i'll say this i'm surprise by the national reaction, this is worse than mike vick, they have just now been caught i read something were it happen 2 pittsburgh by the pats but pittsburgh didn't turn the tape n, this is uncalled 4 he should of been banned from the nfl................................what's the difference between what belidick did an vick? i have no respect 4 belidick he an *** hole he sucks, an pittburgh should be given those 2 superbowls they were dicked out of because of belidick spying on our signals..............i'm also dissapointed n goodell decision he went very easy on the pats why because bill ain't an brother?u know if an black head coach did something like this they would b out of the league!!!!!!!!!!!! roger goodell u suck the nfl sucks an bill belidick sucks

BlacknGold Bleeder
09-13-2007, 11:57 PM
I don't think it played that big of a part in their wins. I mean come on don't you think every team is looking for an advantage... i do agree that this is not harsh enough, they should lose all of their 1st round picks, no matter what!!

SteelersWoman
09-14-2007, 12:42 AM
I've read that the Pats didn' win a lot of those pre-super bowl games by large margins, so the advantage (however big or slight) HAD to put the odds in their favor to win those games.

They should have ALL (even those worked out in trades) first round picks removed whether they make the playoffs or not. And if they DO make the playoffs (and chances are they will) they shouldn't be allowed to participate in them.

This, in effect, would guarantee that no coach would EVer try something so stupid (and sneaky) ever again.

It's one thing to hear calls, (which that's an even playing field for ALL teams) but this is a horse of a different color.

Stairwayto7
09-14-2007, 05:46 AM
to recap;

patsies cheat, and win games! and rings!

penalty: cash??? that is nothing to kraft and bill, pocket change, especially considering they got away with wins.

Secondly they will likely lose a first round pick, given they will make the playoffs. So since a first round pick cost so much, they have that much more cash to spend in free agency?

I do not think the patsies lost here! the Jets lost, and probably alot of other teams.

I would suspend bill for 6 games. forfeit the jets game, and banned them from playoffs for a season! If you are going to send a message, then scare everyone from doing it, not a slap on the wrist.

The patsies got away with one here!

Iron City South
09-14-2007, 08:38 AM
At max of $750K fine? .... Are you f'ing serious? .... What a total f'ing joke. So a coach getting caught allowing HGH gets a 4 game suspension and fined, but a coach getting caught "Cheating" during the game by videotaping plays being called in and undoubtedly manipulating the outcome of the game gets no time away? The Steelers lost a draft pick for practicing in pads when they weren't supposed to for the love of Christ!

Where's the justice that fits the crime?

Considering how many teams came out this week with stories about the Pats questionable and unethical practices over the past 10 years:

- Where's Goodell's commitment to broaden the scope of this incident by conducting an "in-depth" investigateion to find out how far this goes back and to what extent? .... :dunno:

- Where's the Bilichick suspension for at least 6 games ... if not the rest of the year? :dunno:

- Where's the multi-year draft pick forefiture that really sends a message so that other teams never think of crossing this line? :dunno:

- Where's the justice for a franchise just caught RED-HANDED for cheating? :dunno:

Total bullshiat! It's evident that Goddell doesn't want to open Pandora's little box; Proof that the Pats are the darlings of the NFL and can't be touched.

Kraft is one of 32 elite NFL franchise owners who also happens to be a billionaire. He wakes up in the morning and has the maid wipe his dogs *** with fresh, crisp Woodrow Wilsons for the love of Christ!!!! .... Do you think he's going to miss $750K? He's probably laughing his *** off right now and giving Bilichick high 5's and a nice new $500K bonus to help him pay for his fine. :cursin:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

StlersGuy
09-14-2007, 08:48 AM
they went way to easy on him and the Pats

BlitzburghRockCity
09-14-2007, 08:54 AM
If this were a college team doing this you can bet your last dollar the NCAA would lower the boom on the school with all kinds of fines, suspensions, loss of bowl bids, recruiting, you name it. Since we're talking about the NFL postchildren in the Pats, well we'll just get some cash out of them and call it day :cursin:

StlersGuy
09-14-2007, 09:17 AM
I thought Goodell was to be this hard *** and took no crap and then he does this :scratch:

Prosdo
09-14-2007, 10:25 AM
I like what Marshall Faulk and Rod Woodson said. Which was to the extent that the NFL went a little lienant because the Pats have a second first round pick. They also thought Bilicheat should have been suspended for 4-6 games.

AZ_Steeler
09-14-2007, 12:16 PM
The Pats were definitely showed some favoritism with this decision! The only way to stop this is to come down hard on them and use them as an example across the league! This is absurd and I actually lost a little respect for Goodell because he's been using these thugs as examples and setting the standards high for these athletes but when a team is caught red handed cheating and trying to get an advantage on their opponents they are given a get a free jail card. Absolutely ridiculous!!!!