PDA

View Full Version : Some thoughts on the offense

BlitzburghRockCity
09-09-2007, 04:59 PM
This offense is more different than we might all realize. Sure we're still going to run the ball but the entire outlook
of how we go about our business on each series is different. Multiple TE sets, no FB or a FB that's split out as a WR,
Ben having more options at his disposal in the passing game and more control over the game plan in general, multiple WR
sets on 1st down, etc.

When you don't have a traditional FB in the offense you take away a safety valve blocker for the QB as well, Ben is used
to having Dan there to help block in certain situations so that's a difference too. Davis isn't your traditional
powerhouse FB like Kreider so hopefully we'll continue to see Dan dress for game days because short yardage and grinding the game
out situations is where we still need him regardless of what new style of offense we're using now. Davis will make his presence felt and he just needs time to get experience
but for now Dan is still an option we need to have at our disposal. He was in there on 4th quarter when we were
running the clock out and his presence was key IMO on that long 8 minute drive.

The WR's need to quit dropping passes. Ben missed 9 in a row at one point and atleast 1/2 of those were drops. Holmes is just
a freekin monster. You can tell he's been paying attention in the Hines Ward Blocking Class 101; did you see him lay that
wicked block early in the 3rd quarter? Ward is Ward, the dude has renewed options in the game plan and he's the
unquestioned leader on offense along with Ben. The TE's were used alot today, which is amazing in itself.

Having said all that, look at the stats today. Ben threw 4 TD's and used nearly every option available in spreading
the ball around. Willie and Najeh both contributed HUGE for us in the ground game and we mounted an 8 minute drive in the 4th quarter to run out a big chunk of clock.

Don't give up on Arians yet...the offense he brings here is what they use in Indy and it works pretty darn well there. It showed today what it can do even amidst some of the miscues especially in the 2nd quarter.
It's just going to take time and there will be some growing pains to live through but overall I think we're on the verge of something special if they players continue to learn and execute.

SteelersfaninPhilly
09-09-2007, 05:03 PM
TG while I agree with your assement. We need to see how it holds up against a real defense Baltimore, NE, SD, etc.

BlitzburghRockCity
09-09-2007, 05:09 PM
You're exactly right Philly...the Clowns defense is hardly stellar so how we do against the better defenses in the league and our own division will be the real test but atleast initial returns are positive for the most part. Again that stretch in the 2nd quarter was pretty inept but they recovered fortunately.

The defense was alittle tired in the 3rd because of being on the field so much int he 2nd quarter and early in the 3rd but then the offense got it back together they got some much needed rest.

K Train
09-09-2007, 05:52 PM
arians ****ing sucks, how dare he come up with schemes that march us down the field consistantly and spread the ball out to WRs and RBS, he ****ing sucks....i hate it when we score points like a well oiled machine.

The blockers took a little bit to "get it" which made willie start out rough but once they got it, and understood the blocking assignments it was all over.

Koopa
09-09-2007, 05:56 PM
i don't remember driving consistently, that whole second quarter was a disaster, and if we played a team that is worth a damn it would've bit us in the ***.........

BlitzburghRockCity
09-09-2007, 06:02 PM
That 2nd quarter was flashbacks of 2006 for sure. I was worried a bit thinking we might have blown our load in the first and then it was going to be back to the same old same old from last year where we get a lead and then try and run out the clock. I was happy to see them recover and keep pouring on the points, that's a big key for us is stomping on their hearts early and making them 1 dimensional.

We can't have lapses though like the 2nd quarter against quality opponents so we still have stuff to work on.

Koopa
09-09-2007, 06:04 PM
but the ****** thing was, they weren't trying to run out the clock, they were passing it seemed every down after willie ****ed up and fumbled, but everythign was incomplete

Captcoolhand
09-09-2007, 06:04 PM
they suck and we will get killed by better D-lines because we suck.....
Ben was rushed out of the pocket like 20 times and still, what was our WR able to show for it... Nothing
RB can't catch the screen and O-line never gave Ben enough time to look down field

K Train
09-09-2007, 06:09 PM
they suck and we will get killed by better D-lines because we suck.....
Ben was rushed out of the pocket like 20 times and still, what was our WR able to show for it... Nothing
RB can't catch the screen and O-line never gave Ben enough time to look down field

dude, your analysis sucks ***....you just cant admit that we might be better than the 7-9 you predicted. we have a soft *** scedule to start things out, its a good time for minor problems to get worked out. The blocking for willie was awful in the second quarter but then the team clicked and they understood what was going on

Captcoolhand
09-09-2007, 06:21 PM
dude, your analysis sucks ***....you just cant admit that we might be better than the 7-9 you predicted. we have a soft *** scedule to start things out, its a good time for minor problems to get worked out. The blocking for willie was awful in the second quarter but then the team clicked and they understood what was going on

Dude you suck *** and maybe what im thinking is wrong... great, but you can't tell me that how we played today was great. ya it's the first game and players came around but our Oline left Ben open more than what anyone would disired.
I'm just saying that Our OLine stinks and unless we can do better, Jax will beat us again.

K Train
09-09-2007, 06:27 PM
Dude you suck ***

good one!

and our line did not play that bad, we ran down their throats in the second half and our line started to gel since it was the first time opening up the playbook in a live game situation, once **** started to click it was a wrap.

we had a rough second quarter, who cares we leanred from it and settled down. and jax? wtf? what brought them up we play the ****ing bills and 9ers and cards next....not jax...who is a ****ing joke anyway that just got beat by the titans. they beat us last time cause cowher was a ****ing retard and let ben play, charlie would have handled the jags. great analysis, way to give the guys credit for getting a big divisional win in tomlins first game

Mike Tomlin
09-09-2007, 06:38 PM
I think the offense looked great for the first week! The O-line looks a lot better, i mean they only allowed one sack. think the teams starting to realize what this offense can do to defenses. Thats why i'm glad that our schedules pretty weak early so we can get the game to become like second nature. Hell, by the time we see the Ravens the Offense will be clicking a lot better. 4 touchdowns through the air sounds like a damn good game to me.

AZ_Steeler
09-09-2007, 07:41 PM
Ben bothered me a little bit today... He's holding onto the ball to long hoping to get flushed out so he can try make something happen. He needs to be going 1-2-3 release, not 1-2-3 start checking my options then oh **** I need to get rid of it!

Overall though I was impressed from the offense as a whole. Najeh on that third down play, breaking tackles running dudes over and not stopping until he had that first down was a classic Steeler moment! That had me up out of my seat waving my towel!!!

The other thing I took note of today was Faneca. Late in the third quarter on the reverse to Wilson Faneca was 20-30 yards down field helping pave the way for Wilson. Here's a dude on his final year of his contract, he's had some issues with the FO and could have easily packed it in for the season and went out there and been half *** about his job but NO!!! Late in the 3rd quarter with the game already put away Faneca is out in front on a revers laying dudes out!!! The dude earned my respect today!

:cope:

K Train
09-09-2007, 07:43 PM
lol at least ben threw it away more, he didnt force ****

AZ_Steeler
09-09-2007, 07:45 PM
That was a good thing from Ben today... no INT's!!!!! :woot:

Black@Gold Forever32
09-09-2007, 08:29 PM
lol at least ben threw it away more, he didnt force shiat

Ben forced one throw today that was a near INT......Other then that he played smart...

I wasn't impressed with the offense overall but its only one game and Rome wasn't built in a day....I thought the Steelers offense got their act together in the 2nd half and put the game away.......Overall it was a solid performance for an opening game........As each game passes the offense will get in better sync.....

So I'm with you Train I don't understand the doom and gloom by some of these Steelers fans...I guess they want the old boring Cowher offense that struggled to beat the Browns last year in Cleveland....:lol:

GoBenGo
09-09-2007, 09:08 PM
...The other thing I took note of today was Faneca. Late in the third quarter on the reverse to Wilson Faneca was 20-30 yards down field helping pave the way for Wilson. Here's a dude on his final year of his contract, he's had some issues with the FO and could have easily packed it in for the season and went out there and been half *** about his job but NO!!! Late in the 3rd quarter with the game already put away Faneca is out in front on a revers laying dudes out!!! The dude earned my respect today!

:cope:
:clap::clap::clap::clap::plus1::plus1:
I thought the exact same thing there! I wrote in previous threds of how I suspected he might not give 100% based on his plans next year.
I now totally EAT THOSE WORDS :bonk:
I am glad I was wrong about that. Faneca at 100% is what I like!!
:tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02:

BlitzburghRockCity
09-09-2007, 09:10 PM
Faneca will give nothing but 100 percent this year. Not only because he's a professional and has always been but also because he's in a contract year. If he doesnt stay with us he is auditioning for other potential suitors in 2008.

black an gold 4 life
09-09-2007, 11:30 PM
we play enogh soft teams 2 get that offense clicking once week 7 comes we should b alright by week 3 an r offense will b an well oiled machine the o looked nothing like the billm coward era HaleluYah 4 that

Mike Tomlin
09-09-2007, 11:35 PM
Ben bothered me a little bit today... He's holding onto the ball to long hoping to get flushed out so he can try make something happen. He needs to be going 1-2-3 release, not 1-2-3 start checking my options then oh shiat I need to get rid of it
We're not running the west coast offense, he's supposed to check down when his first read is covered. Don't turn him into Michael Vick ............................................... ........a run first quarterback. (Thought I was going to say something about dogs huh LOL!)

K Train
09-09-2007, 11:51 PM
we play enogh soft teams 2 get that offense clicking once week 7 comes we should b alright by week 3 an r offense will b an well oiled machine the o looked nothing like the billm coward era HaleluYah 4 that

dude would it kill you to take the extra 2 seconds to make your posts readable?

TEEMONT
09-10-2007, 12:11 AM

aren't you testy tonight?

AZ_Steeler
09-10-2007, 01:28 AM
We're not running the west coast offense, he's supposed to check down when his first read is covered. Don't turn him into Michael Vick ............................................... ........a run first quarterback. (Thought I was going to say something about dogs huh LOL!)

I know he's suppose to check down, he just holds onto the ball way to long sometimes! He needs get that mental clock ticking and get rid of sooner rather than waiting to get flushed out of the pocket or sacked.

Captcoolhand
09-10-2007, 02:12 AM

aren't you testy tonight?
F*ck ya he's testy tonight, maybe he forgets that people do drink and have a way of speaking faster than there hands can type.:dunno:
What train did you crash again and you have to take it out here to keep your ego alive?:dunno:

K Train
09-10-2007, 02:27 AM
hey capt go **** yourself, it wasnt meant to be mean i was just saying his **** is hard to read, and his posts are like that all the time, i was just saying....so why dont you just mind yourself and shut up, not everyone can use the excuse of being a drunk **** for typing bad, sorry black and gold for life, it wasnt mean, your posts are just tough to comprehend sometimes.....

sorry everyone :)

Captcoolhand
09-10-2007, 02:33 AM
F*ck you train I don't care who you are, you're the one that comes on here thinking that everyone should bow down to you just because you think you're God but you're not ****. I was just stating a fact.

DIESELMAN
09-10-2007, 04:12 AM
Easy guys......its all good, 1st week of real NFL is doin crazy **** to all of us.

ARKIESTEEL
09-10-2007, 08:40 AM
Easy guys......its all good, 1st week of real NFL is doin crazy shiat to all of us.

Yeah it caused me to eat almost 2 pounds of corn dip and bagel chips.....belly hurts ........:eyecrazy:

Ambridge
09-10-2007, 10:46 AM
Until I see Arians offense be productive and execute against a high caliber defense then I'm going to be Skeptical.

Willie and the running game instead of being the bread and butter will be just a side item on the menu.
Too many drives starting off with non productive passing plays and putting the Steelers in 2nd and long and then 3rd and long thus killing the series in a hurry.

IMO at this time top notch defenses like Baltimore, New England and Jacksonville will have a field day against this offense.

Black@Gold Forever32
09-10-2007, 11:06 AM
Until I see Arians offense be productive and execute against a high caliber defense then I'm going to be Skeptical.

Willie and the running game instead of being the bread and butter will be just a side item on the menu.
Too many drives starting off with non productive passing plays and putting the Steelers in 2nd and long and then 3rd and long thus killing the series in a hurry.

IMO at this time top notch defenses like Baltimore, New England and Jacksonville will have a field day against this offense.

The running game a side show on the menu? Ok Parker still had 27 carries in this game......Plus Ben only threw the ball 23 times....So the running game was still a big part of the offense......Another point the Steelers have had their share of non productive running plays in years past even when the Bus was in his prime years....lol

Was the offense and Bruce Ariens perfect yesterday....Hell no and they still have some work to do....But anytime you can put 34 points on the board in a opening game then I'll take it.....

BR7
09-10-2007, 11:38 AM
I was livid in the 2nd quarter. The game should have been over by then, without a doubt. A lot of mistakes, drops, etc. A better team would have taken those missed chances by us and capitalized. Granted its the first game of the Tomlin/Arians era, so I leave it as that. Just reminded me how Cowher coached teams didn't put the nail in the coffin when the opportunity was there. Just odd that the chance to seal the deal was in quarter number two, lol.

Other than that forgettable quarter, Steelers were solid in all aspects. The cupcake schedule should be enough time to get the kinks out of the offense and be well tuned for some of the tougher opponents.

Unlike Chris though, my opinions on Fanaca don't change. I'd be running my *** off too if I was putting on a show for possilbe suitors for next year.

Ambridge
09-10-2007, 11:40 AM
The running game a side show on the menu? Ok Parker still had 27 carries in this game......Plus Ben only threw the ball 23 times....So the running game was still a big part of the offense......Another point the Steelers have had their share of non productive running plays in years past even when the Bus was in his prime years....lol

Was the offense and Bruce Ariens perfect yesterday....Hell no and they still have some work to do....But anytime you can put 34 points on the board in a opening game then I'll take it.....

Willie got 27 total carries with most of his yardage coming in second half after the Browns were wearing down. My point was that a couple of runs here and there doesn't establish any kind of physical tempo.
Willie was used more to finish the Browns off rather than to hurt them in the beginning.

DIESELMAN
09-10-2007, 12:17 PM
Willie got 27 total carries with most of his yardage coming in second half after the Browns were wearing down. My point was that a couple of runs here and there doesn't establish any kind of physical tempo.
Willie was used more to finish the Browns off rather than to hurt them in the beginning.
I'm hoping once we get a few more games in our back pocket and give the OL time to gel, we'll see a different Willie, breaking off big runs with more consistency. We were throwing to setup the run yesterday, as long as we mix it up even more, teams won't know how to D us.

BlitzburghRockCity
09-10-2007, 12:23 PM
This is going to take time. Time for the OL to get their act together and time for Willie to learn how to run effectively without a full time FB to help him. Don't discount the importance of a FB to a runner. Jerome always said he needed one, so did Franco, Willie,all the great Steeler RB's have had a full time blocker in front of them to pave the way and give them that extra body to block the incoming LB or DL. It's going to be awhile before the running game gets into high gear.

In this new system if just 1 OL misses a block or makes a mistake, the play is botched before it has a chance to develop because you are missing that 1 key extra guy to help out.

Let's not forget here people that when we needed 4th and inches on sunday who did they call on ? When we wanted to run the clock out in the 4th quarter who did Tomlin call on ?? That's right DAN KREIDER. Dan will still have a place on this offense and he'll still get his chances to play and we need him IMO.

I have no problems with trying this new offense, it works other places and it can work for us but it won't happen over night.

Mike Tomlin
09-10-2007, 03:25 PM
I notice everybody says yes we did good but it wasn't Baltimore. If you really watched the offense it's set to beat teams like Baltimore. For instance, what's the biggest threat to an aggressive defense..............Screens and draws. Have you seen how many of those are in our package not to mention the shifting of the T-ends from the back field. Our tight ends are gonna give B- more fits. We made the games easy for B-more last year by being to predictable 2 runs ,a pass ,then a punt. You see the problems they have with the Bengals.

Black@Gold Forever32
09-10-2007, 03:30 PM
I notice everybody says yes we did good but it wasn't Baltimore. If you really watched the offense it's set to beat teams like Baltimore. For instance, what's the biggest threat to an aggressive defense..............Screens and draws. Have you seen how many of those are in our package not to mention the shifting of the T-ends from the back field. Our tight ends are gonna give B- more fits. We made the games easy for B-more last year by being to predictable 2 runs ,a pass ,then a punt. You see the problems they have with the Bengals.

I think thats a good point and you're right....The Steelers offense was to predictable and the Ravens had their way with the Steelers offense.....

K Train
09-10-2007, 03:31 PM
baltimore sucks, they will not be that good this year, and the browns have some players on defense that would be stars if they played anywhere else....wimbley would be amazing in our defense.

Black@Gold Forever32
09-10-2007, 03:46 PM
baltimore sucks, they will not be that good this year, and the browns have some players on defense that would be stars if they played anywhere else....wimbley would be amazing in our defense.

Were talking about last year.....The Steelers offense was to predictable against the Ravens last year....

BlitzburghRockCity
09-10-2007, 03:52 PM
Predictably terrible is more like it. We were just flat out bad last year. Everybody and anybody could stop us and we didn't help matters any by constantly giving them the ball on a short field either because our ST stunk or our offense kept giving the ball away. If we take care of business this year by not turning the ball over and playing sound fundamental football coupled with the renewed energy and changes we've implemented in all 3 phases there's no reason we can't play with anybody :yesnod:

GoBenGo
09-10-2007, 05:18 PM
:tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02:
Offense, behind Big Ben, looked great, 4 td passes, openned up the O. Willie and the running game looks a lot more wide open also, no more dive right, dive left. Lot of speed back there!!:banana:
I know it was the Browns, but man, I am excited:towel::towel::towelwave::rats:

DIESELMAN
09-10-2007, 05:41 PM
1 sack is real good considering our OL isn't meshed yet but a lot of the credit needs to go to Ben for that also. Last year he held the ball waaaaaaaaay to long which got him sacked 46 times. The 2 TD passes to TE's should say a lot about how our offense will be doing this year. The biggest thing is this, we have so many weapons, opposing D's will have a hard time scheming for us, we got a good backfield, good and great WR's and now we have TE's who will be a force also. So once our OL gels and we all get and stay on the same page week in and week out, LOOK OUT NFL!!!!!