PDA

View Full Version : Jacobs released..Davenport to get some work on MNF

BlitzburghRockCity
09-13-2006, 01:05 AM
Looks like Omar couldn't make the cut to even last the first 2 weeks of the season.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06256/721355-66.stm

Wednesday, September 13, 2006

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Steelers gave up on rookie quarterback Omar Jacobs when they released him from their practice squad yesterday.

The team drafted Jacobs in the fifth round from Bowling Green University, where he passed for 6,938 yards. He had every chance to win the No. 3 job behind Ben Roethlisberger and Charlie Batch and failed to do so.

The Steelers contacted the agent for quarterback Brian St. Pierre even before Roethlisberger's Sept. 3 appendectomy with the idea he would become the No. 3 quarterback. St. Pierre served as the backup for the opener Thursday and Jacobs remained on the practice squad.

Coach Bill Cowher said he has no plans to make any moves to his 53-man roster this week, which means St. Pierre will remain on it for at least one more game. It's possible he could go onto the practice squad after that.

The Steelers signed receiver Walter Young back to their practice squad to replace Jacobs. Young spent the past two seasons on their practice squad.

Davenport fits in

Veteran halfback Najeh Davenport, signed on Friday, will get a chance to play Monday night in Jacksonville.

"We will see what he is able to pick up and how comfortable he is," Cowher said. "I think he is a proven big back and I think we are looking for that."

The Steelers would like to find someone to take some carries off the shoulders of starter Willie Parker and also to use around the goal line. Davenport, 27, is 6 feet 1, 247 pounds.

"I have watched him run; I think he fits what we are looking for," Cowher said. "He is a young guy. He could also play some in the kicking game. He has played third down, he has played fullback. I think he gives you a lot of versatility.

"I think he is the one guy that was out there that fits what we were looking for at this point, with the makeup of our roster."

Parker ran 29 times, the most in his brief pro career, against Miami Thursday night and Cowher does not want to give his 5-10, 209-pound back a steady diet of that.

"It's not so much the size, it's the size as it relates to 16 games and wanting to have him fresh," Cowher said. "I don't want to give Willie 30 carries a game, every game. The fact that we're running the football means we have to utilize our other guys."

Parker carried 255 times last season for 1,202 yards, adding another 57 carries for 225 yards in the postseason.

BlacknGold Bleeder
09-13-2006, 01:43 AM
Sorry to see Jacobs go, Hopefully he'll be back. I've been saying it picking up Davenport reminds me of another back another team gave up on and he came to town and did great... JEROME BETTIS.
while I'm not saying he will do as well I think he can really help us out!!!

Prosdo
09-13-2006, 02:04 AM
I was hoping Jacobs could be become a good backup for us. Maybe he will be back.

Koopa
09-13-2006, 02:05 AM
i couldn't work in a nfl front office....i'd feel to bad cutting players lol.....ah well not like he was gonna ever amount to anything with us....maybe he'll get picked up and get a real chance

AZ_Steeler
09-13-2006, 12:25 PM
That's surprising to see Jacobs go, I figured the Steelers thought they had the best shot at turning Jacobs into a respectable backup QB, but he must not be all there to get cut from the practice squad!

I'm still on the fence when it comes to Najeh, he's got a clean slate now and can wash away his past and hopefully become something with the Steelers. I'm pulling for this guy and I hope he does well and can give Willile big breathers late in the game(s).

House of Steel
09-13-2006, 12:31 PM
I am also pulling for Najeh, I got him on my fantasy team so he better produce.

SteelerFan87
09-13-2006, 12:33 PM
I don't get why they cut Jacobs. All he did was complete his passes, lead good drives, an score touchdowns during the preseason. I thought he was good, but I guess they don't like his mechanics (which in my opinion doesn't matter as long as he can get the ball where he wants it)

Koopa
09-13-2006, 06:09 PM
ppl should stop bringing up his "past" it was in college never in the nfl....kids make mistake in college all the time......davenport will be good for willie parker

PITT23
09-13-2006, 06:13 PM
Not stunned by the loss of Jacobs now that St. Pierre is here. I'm very curious to see Davenport because I've heard all kinds of reviews ranging from "He'll be amazing" to "He was a waste to pick up". I hope he's follows the first statement.

House of Steel
09-13-2006, 06:28 PM
I think he is going to be a huge benefit for us, Davenport better live up to that expectation. I hope he becomes a bruising back to relief Willie Parker. I like the looks of this. They can't cut Duce cause we are going to be reliable for his salary anyhow, cut or not. That makes me mad!!!

Black@Gold Forever32
09-13-2006, 08:17 PM
I hope Dookie gets some action Monday night. He will be a very good addition to our backfield if he can stay healthy. I'm glad we have a big back since Duce is old and out of shape. But I would still like to see Fast Willie get some action at the goal line. He runs his *** off and gets the yards. Then he doesn't get the chance to punch it in. Yea I know he is only 209 pounds. But look at Priest Holmes in his prime. I believe Priest was only around 213 pounds and he got TD chances.

BlitzburghRockCity
09-13-2006, 08:20 PM
Im sure we won't forget Willie at the goal line, he's earned the right to stay in there for some plays and he proved he can produce...but 3rd and goal from the 1 or 2, you gotta think a healthy dose of Davenport to pound it in will be a welcome site to coaches to know that we have a big back when needed and to keep Willie fresh for the stretch run.

Captcoolhand
09-13-2006, 08:28 PM
Thanks for the story TG

Black@Gold Forever32
09-13-2006, 08:31 PM
Matt, I totally agree with you. Just saying it would be nice for Willie to get the chance to pound it for the TD sometimes. I'm one of the biggest Parker fans around. When some doubted him last year. I thought he could get the job done. Then coming into this year there was still some doubt about Willie Parker by some fans. I think some fans just want that big back. But with another 100 yard game against the Dolphins. I hope there is no more doubts about Willie. He isn't the big back that we all are use to having back there. But his heart is big and thats why he has made it in the NFL.

AZ_Steeler
09-13-2006, 08:40 PM
I'll admit, I had my doubts about Willie coming into this year! I thought now that teams have game tapes of him that they would be able to stop him... What I found out against Miami is Willie can't be stopped! He is lighting fast and is a threat running or catching the ball. I even saw him pick up the blitz against Miami, laid the dude out!!!

I was a doubter of Willie but he has silenced me after the first game.. I just hope he continues to doubt me ;)

House of Steel
09-13-2006, 08:41 PM
Does anyone think Willie Parker looks a little like Barry Sanders in the footwork? I swear I see a little of Sanders in him.

AZ_Steeler
09-13-2006, 08:43 PM
Does anyone think Willie Parker looks a little like Barry Sanders in the footwork? I swear I see a little of Sanders in him.

:nono: Barry could knock a guy backwards, bounce off people, change direction... Willie is no where close to Barry, IMO

Black@Gold Forever32
09-13-2006, 08:46 PM
I'll admit, I had my doubts about Willie coming into this year! I thought now that teams have game tapes of him that they would be able to stop him... What I found out against Miami is Willie can't be stopped! He is lighting fast and is a threat running or catching the ball. I even saw him pick up the blitz against Miami, laid the dude out!!!

I was a doubter of Willie but he has silenced me after the first game.. I just hope he continues to doubt me ;)

Well I can't say that I blame you for doubting Willie. But I'm one of those fans that think speed kills in the NFL in today's game. Thats why I was so glad the Steelers added all that speed at WR in this years draft. The thing about Willie is. Yea he is going to have alot of those 1 or 2 yard gains. But then boom he takes one for the distance. I love having that home run threat now at RB. There are going to be games when the Steelers offense has off days. But Willie has that ability to score on any given play. Look at the Super Bowl. The Steelers offense didn't have one of its best days. But Willie Parker made one of the few big plays that day for the Steelers. True he had great blocking but he took it to the house.

House of Steel
09-13-2006, 08:47 PM
I know, but you know Willie does have Barry's speed maybe even faster, Willie is know to cut and slice defenders. I love his footwork. I used to be like that in HS til my offensive line gave up and couldn't even open a damn hole the length of a pencil :rolleyes:.

Black@Gold Forever32
09-13-2006, 08:48 PM
:nono: Barry could knock a guy backwards, bounce off people, change direction... Willie is no where close to Barry, IMO

I agree that Willie isn't even close to Barry Sanders. I'm one of the biggest Willie fans around. Man Barry Sanders was one in a lifetime players.

House of Steel
09-13-2006, 08:50 PM
You got that right, I actually became a fan of the Lions just because of him. I sure miss that guy. He was flat out dominant. I never seen anyone with the footwork he had. Makes you stratch your head and OOOOH AHHHHHH over his work.

AZ_Steeler
09-13-2006, 08:54 PM
Well I can't say that I blame you for doubting Willie. But I'm one of those fans that think speed kills in the NFL in today's game. Thats why I was so glad the Steelers added all that speed at WR in this years draft. The thing about Willie is. Yea he is going to have alot of those 1 or 2 yard gains. But then boom he takes one for the distance. I love having that home run threat now at RB. There are going to be games when the Steelers offense has off days. But Willie has that ability to score on any given play. Look at the Super Bowl. The Steelers offense didn't have one of its best days. But Willie Parker made one of the few big plays that day for the Steelers. True he had great blocking but he took it to the house.

That was thing that bothered me... 1 or 2 yards here and there and it seemed like first hit he went down... I'm starting to warmup to this homerun threat becasue it is awesome to have, adn ilke you said it came in handy in the SB!

Willie showed a lot last Thursday and I didn't see him going down much on that first hit, he's really coming along now and I'm liking it... a lot!

Black@Gold Forever32
09-13-2006, 09:00 PM
That was thing that bothered me... 1 or 2 yards here and there and it seemed like first hit he went down... I'm starting to warmup to this homerun threat becasue it is awesome to have, adn ilke you said it came in handy in the SB!

Willie showed a lot last Thursday and I didn't see him going down much on that first hit, he's really coming along now and I'm liking it... a lot!

The thing is when you think Steelers football. You think about power football and just pounding the ball down the throat of the defense. So I can't blame people for doubting Willie Parker. My brother is warming up to Willie as well. He liked Parker. But he thought he could never be a fulltime starter for us. But thats my brother. He is the most negative fan around. He drives me nuts. I have to kick him out of my house during games sometimes since he is so negative.

Last year and this first game was just the begining. I really think Willie is going to have a really big year this year.

PITT23
09-13-2006, 10:09 PM
They both have a common bond in the fact they both have some very quick feet and get to top speed very shortly after recieving the ball.