PDA

View Full Version : Game plan goes through Ben?

Stlrs4Life
09-06-2007, 11:01 PM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_526129.html (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_526129.html)

Game plan goes through Steelers' Roethlisberger
By Mike Prisuta
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Thursday, September 6, 2007

Add "veto power" to Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger's new responsibilities.

Offensive coordinator Bruce Arians said on Thursday if Roethlisberger doesn't like a particular aspect of the game plan this season, it'll be scrapped in advance of game day -- no questions asked.

"I think it's a smart thing to do," Roethlisberger said. "I think it's done a lot of places, and that's the way it should be done.

"It hasn't been done here."

It will be this season, for Sunday's regular-season opener in Cleveland and beyond.

"We joked last year, we'd talk to 'Whiz' (former offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt) and tell him what we (as quarterbacks) liked and didn't like," Roethlisberger said. "And the plays we liked never got called and the plays we didn't like always were called.

"That's the good thing about Bruce. We're able to communicate with each other and not call plays that we don't feel comfortable with."

The Steelers finished 8-8 in 2006 after going 11-5 and winning Super Bowl XL the previous season.

They ranked No. 7 in the NFL in total offense (10th rushing, ninth passing).

Roethlisberger was seriously injured in a motorcycle accident in June 2006 and had to undergo an emergency appendectomy just prior to the opener against Miami.

He also suffered a concussion Oct. 22 at Atlanta.

Roethlisberger wound up throwing for more than 3,000 yards for the first time in his career (3,513) but he also threw a career- and NFL-high 23 interceptions.

Whisenhunt went on to become coach of the Arizona Cardinals.

"Whiz and I got along great," Roethlisberger said. "I don't know if it's fair to say (me and Arians) get along better.

"We work together a lot more than Whiz and I did, which I think probably helps. (Arians) has asked me about certain things, what I feel comfortable with, what I don't feel comfortable with, what we want to call, what we don't want to call. If I have an idea, I throw it out to him, and he lets me know if he likes it."

"A lot of things look good to coaches," Arians said. "If a guy doesn't see it on the field and he doesn't like it, it's out. There's no sense calling a play that is cloudy or a guy doesn't like."

Roethlisberger has been involved in offensive planning "since March," Arians said.

Now, the offensive coordinator and quarterback will begin meeting on Fridays about specific situations, such as the Steelers' first 15 plays, third downs and the red zone. Roethlisberger, for the first time, will have the freedom to reject what he doesn't want to run.

"In a heartbeat," Arians said.

The Steelers have assigned Roethlisberger the added responsibility of making changes in the blocking assignments at the line of scrimmage and encouraged him to call audibles this season.

"You don't want to call a play that your quarterback doesn't like or doesn't feel comfortable with," Roethlisberger said. "Then you're just putting yourself in a bad situation.

"I think that's just being a smart coordinator."

What do you guys think of this? Is Ben ready for this? Is this a good move?

Koopa
09-06-2007, 11:07 PM
just goes to show how bad of a coach bill cowher was, he didn't know ****, he'd have one game plan and when it failed (which it usually did when it mattered) the team would falter........ i'm glad teh coaches are willing to listen to the ppl that actually have to play the game......... hopefully it works out

Iron City South
09-06-2007, 11:57 PM
Ben is just now starting to be the QB he always wanted to be but was never allowed to be under William Laird.

Black@Gold Forever32
09-07-2007, 12:13 AM
We have to find out sooner or later if Ben is up task so I'm all for it...Time to take the training wheels off......

Steelersfan
09-07-2007, 02:05 AM
We have to find out sooner or later if Ben is up task so I'm all for it...Time to take the training wheels off......

Couldn't agree more! Cowher teams were always predictable and never seemed to be able to adapt in game.

AZ_Steeler
09-07-2007, 02:15 AM
That's the one thing I liked about the only pre-season game that I saw... I couldn't guess what play was coming! Last year, it would be third and 5 or so and it was always that stupid inside hand-off to Haynes! Good things he's not around anymore :D

SteelersWoman
09-07-2007, 03:25 AM
Ben has won a lot of games already, so I feel he's earned the same respect given to other veteran QBs who are calling their own shots.

BlitzburghRockCity
09-07-2007, 07:19 AM

:iagree: That's exactly right. This season will tell us if BC was right in holding Ben back because he wasn't ready for more responsibility or if it was BC just being stubborn and having to do things the "cowher way". Im anxious to see Ben take his game to a whole new level this year and really show us what he can do :yesnod:

Something tells me that Ben is going to come through with flying colors.

BBG7
09-07-2007, 12:59 PM
It should make for an interesting year. I like that Arians and Tomlin are working with Ben and the rest of the team and value their insight. It shows they have faith in the guys!

digdug
09-07-2007, 02:33 PM
It is very refreshing to see a coaching staff that is not totally "my way or the highway". Hopefully we now get to see Ben and the offense perform to its full potential instead of three yards in a cloud of dust!! So much for the criticism of only being a "game manager".

I have a feeling something good is on its way!!!:crossfingers:

GoBenGo
09-07-2007, 04:58 PM
:wedaworldchamps:DAT'S MAH QUARTERBACK!!!
:tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02:

TEEMONT
09-07-2007, 06:52 PM
Please Ben prove me wrong.....

BR7
09-07-2007, 07:56 PM
When in the red zone of the Cowher era, Id call the 3 plays to a tee. 4th play was a coin toss on a missed FG or not. Depending if third down yeilded a sack, lol.

Cant wait to see Ben take charge. Might not be real sharp early in the season, but I have high hopes. Smart move IMO.

manofsteel
09-07-2007, 10:24 PM
Lets take the cuffs of boys. Hes ready to rock and so now finally are his coaches.