PDA

View Full Version : New starting FB.....

DIESELMAN
09-06-2007, 08:49 PM
Carey Davis has been named the starter over Dan Kreider. According to Arians, Davis is more explosive, a good blocker, a good pass blocker and a good receiver. He should touch the ball 6 times a game, give or take.

Mike Tomlin
09-06-2007, 08:55 PM
Finally Davis took the fullback job from Dan. Kreider's a great fullback but Davis is a mix of HB/FB. He will make our backfield alot faster, not to mention this cat is great receiving out the back field. The play that made him a Steeler ,in my eyes was that screen pass that went for about 57 yards against the Saints. The way he stopped and started showed the type of speed he has. Then he showed his power by droppin his shoulder on the safety Bellamy at the end of the play..:helmet::tt02:

Koopa
09-06-2007, 08:56 PM
lol @ kreider getting a token roster spot

i'm gonna merge the threads

GoBenGo
09-06-2007, 09:02 PM
I like Kreider. Arians has to have seen something to merit the switch. I guess we will see. If it makes the FB position more productive I'm for it. Dan is tough but maybe this dude is all that. The added speed, and athleticism is needed. CAN HE BLOCK?

DIESELMAN
09-06-2007, 09:04 PM
With Davis back there, it gives us a hell of a lot more options, passing as well as running.

Black@Gold Forever32
09-06-2007, 09:05 PM
I'm sure Kreider will be in there when we need those critical blocks on 3rd and short for the first down or in when the Steelers have 1st and goal at the 5 yard line and need the TD....But overall Carey Davis does bring more to the FB position...So I'm willing to see what Davis can do.........

BlackGold4vr
09-06-2007, 09:10 PM
I am excited about our running back situation this year. Willie is still our marquis RB but IMO there isn't as big a drop-off in our second and third string backs as in years past. We have 5 backs who are all capable of making some big plays. Bottom line is I won't be nearly as worried about Willie coming off the field for a breather. These other guys are good too!

:tt02:

BlitzburghRockCity
09-06-2007, 09:23 PM
I'm sure Kreider will be in there when we need those critical blocks on 3rd and short for the first down or in when the Steelers have 1st and goal at the 5 yard line and need the TD....But overall Carey Davis does bring more to the FB position...So I'm willing to see what Davis can do.........

This one concerns me alittle bit. Willie is used to working with Dan. Look how long it took Jerome to adjust every time they switched Bus drivers on him. I like with Davis brings to the table with his versatility but still, Dan is a helluva blocker and has proven he can catch out of the backfield too.

Let's see what the kid can do !

Black@Gold Forever32
09-06-2007, 09:30 PM
This one concerns me alittle bit. Willie is used to working with Dan. Look how long it took Jerome to adjust every time they switched Bus drivers on him. I like with Davis brings to the table with his versatility but still, Dan is a helluva blocker and has proven he can catch out of the backfield too.

Let's see what the kid can do !

Like I said Top in the crucial times I'm sure Kreider will be in there to throw that important block...But I like what Carey Davis brings to the table also as an all around FB.......Plus were just facing the Browns so if Davis isn't up to it then we have time to put Kreider back in there as the starter.....

One thing to with Parker and Davis back there in the backfield....defenses won't be 100 percent certain that Parker will get the ball everytime...

GoBenGo
09-06-2007, 09:35 PM
With Davis back there, it gives us a hell of a lot more options, passing as well as running.:yesnod:
I'm all for more!!!:banana:

strong D
09-06-2007, 09:55 PM
Like I said Top in the crucial times I'm sure Kreider will be in there to throw that important block...But I like what Carey Davis brings to the table also as an all around FB.......Plus were just facing the Browns so if Davis isn't up to it then we have time to put Kreider back in there as the starter.....

One thing to with Parker and Davis back there in the backfield....defenses won't be 100 percent certain that Parker will get the ball everytime...

:plus1: id have to agree with you when we really need that yard kreider will be in there but davis does open up the playbook more

Stlrs4Life
09-06-2007, 10:25 PM
Carey Davis has been named the starter over Dan Kreider. According to Arians, Davis is more explosive, a good blocker, a good pass blocker and a good receiver. He should touch the ball 6 times a game, give or take.

:dunno: So is Kreider.

Iron City South
09-06-2007, 11:49 PM
I don't think this is saying that Kreider has declined as much as it is saying we're now using a new system built around speed and spread formations. Davis gives us more options and will be better at sealing the corners when Parker kicks outside. Kreider will be used as our battering ram either late in games when the other team is wore down, or in games where our game plan calls for more running between the tackles.

BlitzburghRockCity
09-07-2007, 12:04 AM

Yeah, and that's a plus, being more unpredictable. If Davis steps up and delivers then we'll have yet another weapon for Ben and that's always a good thing. Im just glad Dan is there, just in case :cope:

Friday133
09-07-2007, 12:32 AM
At this point I have no idea why they kept Kreider around. Tonight on KDKA on the 11pm news they reported Davis as the new starter and also said Kreider may not dress for the game. Why have him then?

DIESELMAN
09-07-2007, 12:57 AM
:dunno: So is Kreider.

I agree to a certain extent, give Kreider the ball when we need 1-2 yards and he'll get it but thats about it. Davis has showed a lot more versatilty, granted he's giving up about 25 lbs. but he's more explosive then Kreider. To make it even more evident, Kreider's 7 year career stats are:

103 Games 30 ATT. 142 YD's. 2 TD's 59 REC. 456 YD's. 2 TD's

K Train
09-07-2007, 12:57 AM
davis is a vicious blocker, good for him

Koopa
09-07-2007, 01:54 AM
Davis replaces Kreider as starter
Free agent gets nod for opener vs. Browns
Friday, September 07, 2007
By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Carey Davis, a first-year free agent, did more than win a roster spot in the Steelers backfield. He has supplanted Dan Kreider, a five-year starter, as the No. 1 fullback.

Offensive coordinator Bruce Arians said yesterday that Davis, who has never played in an NFL game, will be the starter when the Steelers open their regular season Sunday in Cleveland. What's more, it's possible Kreider might be deactivated against the Browns, a decision that will be made by coach Mike Tomlin.

"Everything is week to week, but he will be the fullback," Arians said of Davis (5-10, 225) "He's doing a nice job for us."

Davis was signed to the practice squad in November 2006 -- his fifth NFL team in four years -- and stayed there for the remainder of the season. He further impressed the coaches in training camp with his running, receiving and blocking and was also a standout on special teams.

But when the Steelers kept Kreider on their 53-man roster, it was generally assumed it was done to pair him in the backfield with Pro Bowl running back Willie Parker. It was Parker, coming off back-to-back 1,000-yard seasons, who said he preferred having a fullback such as Kreider in the backfield rather than a tight end who would occasionally line up in the backfield.

Kreider, an undrafted free agent who was the team's rookie of the year in 2000, has started 62 games in six seasons with the Steelers and had become one of the best blocking fullbacks in the league. Most of his teammates still talk about the devastating block he put on Baltimore Ravens linebacker Ray Lewis several years ago to clear a path for Jerome Bettis.

But under the direction of Arians, who is in his first season as offensive coordinator, the role of the fullback position in the offense has changed, if not diminished.

Arians likes to use a lot of formations using four wide receivers or three tight ends, even in run situations, eliminating the need for a fullback.

Even during the second week of training camp, Arians sounded an early warning when he said there might be games where Kreider won't even dress.

"We'll see how that goes," Arians said. "Right now, [Davis] will be the first-and-10 fullback."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07250/815440-66.stm

here's an updated article

a little off topic here: you know since cowher has left, it's seems that the coordinators, mainly arians, are speaking in the media a bit more.... has anyone else noticed this......... it seemed only cowher used to talk and whiz never talked lol, but read a lot of quotes from arians now lol

Steelerlyn
09-07-2007, 02:40 AM
That does not change the fact that I too am worried about starting a guy who couldn't stick with several other teams over Kreider. This tells me that they are intending to use the FB as more of a ball-handler than the blocker that Kreider is. The goal may be to spread the load around a little more and not have Parker get as beat up while still having some unpredictability.
I'd still feel better if Parker didn't have the tendency to go down when someone breathes on him. :lol:

:tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02:

ARKIESTEEL
09-07-2007, 08:18 AM
Nobody stomps on LB's like bad man Dan...........He is the unknow Steeler he is the working class guy that gets no glory and takes a bunch of hits. Lets not throw our heros under the bus...............:nono:

BRICKTOWN BEAST
09-07-2007, 03:40 PM
Wow im really pissed off Davis is a tough runner and I like him alot. BUT WTF Dan Krieder has always been our blocker

SteelersfaninPhilly
09-07-2007, 03:48 PM
I do not know how I feel about this. Parker stated that he wants Krieder leading the way. Although the steelers are suppose to feature more one back sets.

digdug
09-07-2007, 03:48 PM
I love Kreider as our FB, but at the same time I also recall a time when our FB/RB tandem kept defenses so off balance they didn't know who had the ball most of the time. Maybe with Davis and Parker in the backfield we can bring back a little of the two back magic!! :tt02: :cope:

SteelerSal
09-07-2007, 03:57 PM
Krieder is one dimensional, he is just an extra o-lineman on the field.
If Davis can lead block for Willie then he will be an additional weapon on the playaction and with occasional ball carries.
I love Krieder but you have to admit when he gets an occasional ball thrown to him, he usually don't get any extra yardage after the catch and you rarely ever see the FB dive in our offense.
Wait and see if this experiment works before judging, and if it don't, it's not like Krieder was cut from the team.

BRICKTOWN BEAST
09-07-2007, 03:58 PM
Ok. Bruce Ariens is obviously pass first run second. He used to be a recievers coach. This I do not like. Now when we do get a chance to run hes trying to get all CUTE about it and fancy with two backs. We run the ball and we run well, mabye the best running team in the league. because our style running and our backfield. we dont get cute we pound the ball behind Krieder and Willie Parker breaks some good ones and some to the outside. Not only is Ariens limiting our running now hes making it CUTE and opposite of the right way to run the ball. If we win games fine but we shouldn't shy away from what weve done successful and that running the ball behind Krieder. I really want to see how this offense plays because I am confused right now.

DIESELMAN
09-07-2007, 04:17 PM
Why are some of you so afraid of change? Yes Kreider is a great FB, let time roll on and see how this pans out.

Black@Gold Forever32
09-07-2007, 04:21 PM
Why are some of you so afraid of change? Yes Kreider is a great FB, let time roll on and see how this pans out.

No kidding....lol One down hasn't been played in the Steelers season and some fans are already thinking the running game is doomed....:lol:

Koopa
09-07-2007, 04:38 PM
it's usually the older fan base that are so afraid of change, no offense, but a lot of older fans are still stuck in the 70s, they got to realize this is a new era, and it wasn't until bitch cowher finally let whiz take over and start airing it out that we finally won one for the thumb

krieders career is pretty much over, his position is a dying breed, and he doesn't bring a whole lot to the table, gotta give props to the front office and allowing him to have a token roster spot and letting him walk off on his own instead of cutting him

davis is 26 years old and proved that he can play with the first team and second team, he brings much more to the full back position then krieder ever could

can't wait till sunday

BlitzburghRockCity
09-07-2007, 04:43 PM
Bring back John Kuhn...he's way better than Davis or Kreider !! You'll see !!

:lol:

Black@Gold Forever32
09-07-2007, 04:44 PM
I do think Kreider should dress on gamedays though....I have no problem with Davis starting....But if he gets hurt or proves he isn't up to the task as a starter then it would be smart to have Kreider as a backup plan.....

------------------------------------------------------------
[AutoMerged Post Below]

:lol:..........Top are you president of the John Kuhn fan club?:lol:

Koopa
09-07-2007, 04:47 PM

but the goal of football is to win games, putting kuhn in will only hurt our cause in trying to win a game

K Train
09-07-2007, 04:48 PM
lol you guys are whiny, hop off of kreiders ****....hes an alright fullback, not to many "great" FBs around since its not that improtant of a position. good for davis, you guys are to quick to pity kreider and get pissed at the coaches....well what about the young guy, first year in the NFL that busted his *** and outplayed the veteren....good for him

Prosdo
09-08-2007, 03:20 PM
I like both Kreider and Davis. I honestly did not expect Davis to start. It does make me a little nervous because he has never started a real NFL game, but I'm interested to see what he can do. I think Davis just brings more to the table options wise.

BlackGold4vr
09-08-2007, 03:50 PM
I am excited about this season and this team! We have a very balanced team that seems capable of taking advantage of any teams defensive weaknesses be that against the pass or run. That is what successful teams do isn't it? Take advantage of the defenses weaknesses? All of our backs are capable of breaking off 20+ yard runs, Nate, Cedric, Santonio and even Hines are all capable of making big plays through the air and after the catch. Kreider is very capable of taking those FB screens for big gains as is Carey Davis. Ben should have a field day with all the explosive weapons he has around him. This team is going to be near the top of the league in points scored IMO.

BlitzburghRockCity
09-08-2007, 04:01 PM
I do think Kreider should dress on gamedays though....I have no problem with Davis starting....But if he gets hurt or proves he isn't up to the task as a starter then it would be smart to have Kreider as a backup plan.....

[AutoMerged Post Below]

:lol:..........Top are you president of the John Kuhn fan club?:lol:

That's right, all you haters will see that he's going to kick *** for the Pack :banana::lol:

BlacknGold Bleeder
09-08-2007, 05:01 PM
good for davis, you guys are to quick to pity kreider and get pissed at the coaches....well what about the young guy, first year in the NFL that busted his *** and outplayed the veteren....good for him

First off I like Kreider he is a good player and while disappointed he don't have the starting job it ain't the end of the world. Let's see what Davis can do.

First year in NFL, nope don't go there, this guy has been cut 5 times by other teams !! Why has he been cut so many times? That's a lot of almost make the team ,just has to make you wonder a little bit.....

K Train
09-08-2007, 05:06 PM
hes listed as first year, not a rookie, i didnt say rookie, but it IS his first year in the NFL, regardless of what happened in the past....none of that matters now

Blitzburgh55
09-08-2007, 05:19 PM
Im not so sure willie wanted Krieder i wanted Krieder
this is a dumb move

Mike Tomlin
09-08-2007, 05:30 PM
lol you guys are whiny, hop off of kreiders ****....hes an alright fullback, not to many "great" FBs around since its not that improtant of a position. good for davis, you guys are to quick to pity kreider and get pissed at the coaches....well what about the young guy, first year in the NFL that busted his *** and outplayed the veteren....good for him

My point exactly, everytime there is a vet cut people complain. I guess if your a steeler you should play to you die, no...... these people run past their prime too. Just be glad we got a replacement for Kreider before he left, like Hartings.

SteelerNation
09-08-2007, 10:52 PM
Im saving my option for this move although i dont think theres anythign tomlin can do to make him look like a bad coach...

Mike Tomlin
09-08-2007, 11:05 PM
Im saving my option for this move although i dont think theres anythign tomlin can do to make him look like a bad coach...

Oh yes there is... just let him lose tomorrow.

DIESELMAN
09-09-2007, 11:44 AM
First year in NFL, nope don't go there, this guy has been cut 5 times by other teams !! Why has he been cut so many times? That's a lot of almost make the team ,just has to make you wonder a little bit.....

Maybe the reason hes been cut so many times is because no one really figured out what he could do (blind in one eye, can't see out the other for those coaches) Indy didn't really need him and I doubt they really gave him a chance to do anything. Atlanta wasn't really looking either with Dunn and Duckett at RB, they also had Justin Griffith as FB. Don't know who else had him but they probably just picked him up and let him go without really giving him a chance. With us he's been playin RB, FB and ST's so he had a real chance this time around. :bigthumb:

SteelerSal
09-09-2007, 11:52 AM
First off I like Kreider he is a good player and while disappointed he don't have the starting job it ain't the end of the world. Let's see what Davis can do.

Lets not forget, Krieder went undrafted and became a monster.
Willie Parker sat the bench at North Carolina and went undrafted, makes you wonder a bit.:yesnod::cope:

K Train
09-09-2007, 12:37 PM
keep in mind, it all depends on where they go and how much the coaches are willing to pay attention to them, alot of guys get on rosters just to fill and never have a legit chance to make the team, the NFL is not always fair

BlitzburghRockCity
09-10-2007, 12:26 PM
Who did Tomlin call on yesterday when it was 4th and inches and who did he call on to help us run out the clock in the 4th quarter? Dan Kreider :yesnod: He's still an important piece of the puzzle for us and Im glad he dressed for the game. If Tomlin is smart he'll continue to dress Dan because he's still our best FB and we need him at times when you just gotta have those extra yards.