PDA

View Full Version : ** CUTS ARE IN **

Iron City South
09-01-2007, 04:53 PM
I knew Haynes wouldn't make it ...

Okobi, Haynes among those cut by Steelers

Okobi, Haynes among those cut by Steelers Saturday, September 01, 2007 By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette Chukky Okobi, who came to training camp as the starting center, and running back Verron Haynes were among the players cut today by Coach Mike Tomlin as the Steelers reduced their roster to the final 53-player limit, the Post-Gazette has learned.

Also included in the cut were three rookie draft choices - defensive end Ryan McBean, a fourth-round pick; guard Cameron Stephenson (fifth) and wide receiver Dallas Baker (seventh).

Defensive end Shaun Nua, a seventh-round choice in 2005, and former special teams co-captain Chidi Iwuoma were also cut.

Haynes, a fifth-round draft choice in 2002, has been the team's third-down back for most of his career. But three of his previous five seasons have ended early because of knee injuries, including last season when he missed the final nine games.

Also cut were fullback John Kuhn, quarterback Bryan Randall, receivers Walter Young and Gerran Walker; tight ends Cody Boyd and Jon Dekker, tackles Jason Capizzi and Brandon Torrey; nose tackle Scott Paxson, linebackers Ron Stanley and Marquis Cooper; cornerbacks Anthony Madison and Jovon Johnson; and safeties Grant Mason and Mike Lorello.

http://www.pittsburghpostgazette.com/pg/07244/814091-100.stm

BlitzburghNation
09-01-2007, 04:58 PM
Surprised about Chuki :scratch:

I knew Haynes was gone :popcorn:

Wish we would've kept ~~~~ Jason Capizzi :cursin:

Koopa
09-01-2007, 04:59 PM
okobi will sign with arizona i almost guarantee that lol

DIESELMAN
09-01-2007, 05:00 PM
Damn Capizzi got cut. Every cut player has to clear waivers before they can be signed to the practice squad. Capizzi is gone.....

Koopa
09-01-2007, 05:02 PM
Damn Capizzi got cut. Every cut player has to clear waivers before they can be signed to the practice squad. Capizzi is gone.....

i don't think so, he was passed up over 200 times in the draft, i think he clears waivers

SteelerSal
09-01-2007, 05:02 PM
Thanks ICS.:bigthumb:
None are really surprises accept for Okobi which I'm sure it was due to his salary and not being the starter.
Haynes was nice while healthy and his lack of being able to stay on the field made him expendable with the likes of a healthy Russell and Davis fighting for rosters spots.
Shaun Nua lasted this long with the team, 2 years, because of Cowher.:nono:
And apparently McBean did not show enough for consideration to even be a project player.:scratch:
I was hoping Capizzi would of worked out and helped the O-line.

Iron City South
09-01-2007, 05:04 PM
Good luck in Cincitucky Verron! Steelers will sign a few of these guys ot the PS .... I'm thinking Caprizzi, McBean and maybe Kuhn and Baker to the PS ....

Where's the love? ... I need a few beers for breaking the story!

Koopa
09-01-2007, 05:06 PM
Good luck in Cincitucky Verron! Steelers will sign a few of these guys ot the PS .... I'm thinking Caprizzi, McBean and maybe Kuhn and Baker to the PS ....

kuhn no longer qualifies for practice squad

DIESELMAN
09-01-2007, 05:10 PM
i don't think so, he was passed up over 200 times in the draft, i think he clears waivers

yeah but I'm sure other teams have heard about him by now, his potential is whats important.

Koopa
09-01-2007, 05:12 PM
we'll be drafting a center in one of the first two rounds next year........mahan is the reason we only win 7 games this year lol

DIESELMAN
09-01-2007, 05:16 PM
we'll be drafting a center in one of the first two rounds next year........mahan is the reason we only win 7 games this year lol

It'll take 7 games for our whole OL to gel...lol

DIESELMAN
09-01-2007, 05:21 PM
So its Parker, Davenport, Davis, Russell and Kreider in the backfield. :bigthumb:

Black@Gold Forever32
09-01-2007, 05:22 PM
I guess keeping three QBs is that important?lol They could have kept St. Pierre on speed dial in case Ben or Charlie got hurt...I'm nobody would want St. Pierre's sorry ***...lol

If Capizzi, McBean and Baker clear waivers then those three will make the practice squad....I see Stephenson making the practice squad as well....

SteelerSal
09-01-2007, 05:26 PM
So its Parker, Davenport, Davis, Russell and Kreider in the backfield. :bigthumb:

Clearly the best depth at the RB/FB position that we have ever had, that I can remember.

Ibleedblk&gld
09-01-2007, 05:34 PM
should have kept chidi iwuoma

SteelerSal
09-01-2007, 05:37 PM
should have kept chidi iwuoma

William Gay will fill his shoes just fine on sp. teams.:bigthumb:

DIESELMAN
09-01-2007, 05:38 PM
Clearly the best depth at the RB/FB position that we have ever had, that I can remember.

yeah its been a while but we look a helluva lot better now then we did before the draft. Grabbin Barlow showed how desperate we were at depth...:lol:

digdug
09-01-2007, 05:40 PM
IMO Madison will be a good addition to the PS. Give the kid another year and he makes a pretty good backup, if not starter.

Ibleedblk&gld
09-01-2007, 05:41 PM
William Gay will fill his shoes just fine on sp. teams.:bigthumb:

true, as long as he doesn't allow another ball to go into the endzone on a punt when he could have downed it w/in 3 yds. of the endzone :greengrin:

Mach1
09-01-2007, 05:45 PM
Oh no not the future hof'r kuhn. :cryrun: :D

Not sure why so many people loved this guy for doing absolutely nothing.

SteelerSal
09-01-2007, 05:49 PM

I think people thought he was the Steelers version of Jerry Cooney," The Great White Hope".

BlackGold4vr
09-01-2007, 05:54 PM
The only cut that im disappointed with is Capizzi. He was the best back-up tackle we had. Hope he gets signed to the practice squad but im not gonna get my hopes up. Lots of undrafted players who played in pre-season gave other teams a chance to see how they could compete at the pro-level. Some of them will be snagged. Hell, Arizona may sign all the Steeler's cuts! :lol:

Captcoolhand
09-01-2007, 06:11 PM
Man, you got to know that Chucky is Pissed right about now.....:yesnod:

I'm with Koop, you will see him in Arizona without a doubt.

BlitzburghRockCity
09-01-2007, 06:16 PM
I knew Haynes wouldn't make it ...

Okobi, Haynes among those cut by Steelers

Okobi, Haynes among those cut by Steelers Saturday, September 01, 2007 By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette Chukky Okobi, who came to training camp as the starting center, and running back Verron Haynes were among the players cut today by Coach Mike Tomlin as the Steelers reduced their roster to the final 53-player limit, the Post-Gazette has learned.

Also included in the cut were three rookie draft choices - defensive end Ryan McBean, a fourth-round pick; guard Cameron Stephenson (fifth) and wide receiver Dallas Baker (seventh).

Defensive end Shaun Nua, a seventh-round choice in 2005, and former special teams co-captain Chidi Iwuoma were also cut.

Haynes, a fifth-round draft choice in 2002, has been the team's third-down back for most of his career. But three of his previous five seasons have ended early because of knee injuries, including last season when he missed the final nine games.

Also cut were fullback John Kuhn, quarterback Bryan Randall, receivers Walter Young and Gerran Walker; tight ends Cody Boyd and Jon Dekker, tackles Jason Capizzi and Brandon Torrey; nose tackle Scott Paxson, linebackers Ron Stanley and Marquis Cooper; cornerbacks Anthony Madison and Jovon Johnson; and safeties Grant Mason and Mike Lorello.

http://www.pittsburghpostgazette.com/pg/07244/814091-100.stm

I called Okobi being cut awhile back :lol: Really though, I am suprised by it a bit because I didn't think Mahan had shown enough to warrant being the only veteran starter at Center.

I was really hoping Baker could make the club but I'd bet he'll get signed to the PS.

Anthony Madison, I thought he was showing some proimse and might beat out Coc for the job. Now we're stuck with ole fumble fingers again ! :nonod:

Kuhn, Capizzi and Youngand McBean probably get signed to the PS as well.

Im glad we're keeping 3 QB's, I just hate only having 2, it's way too risky.

Prosdo
09-01-2007, 06:18 PM
I called Okobi being cut awhile back :lol: Really though, I am suprised by it a bit because I didn't think Mahan had shown enough to warrant being the only veteran starter at Center.

I can see why they did it, but it does make me a bit nervous. Like Koopa said Chukky will be the newest AZ Cardinal.

BlitzburghRockCity
09-01-2007, 06:22 PM
I guess they think Mahan can handle it. Kendall Simmons has played some center so he's available in an emergency situation.

If something happens to Mahan we are sunk because Philip is the only real backup and he's got no experience. I like Marvin, I think he's got a lot of potential but he's got very little experience at the most important position on the OL.

I wanted to see Chidi stay as well, damn between Coc being here, Reid fumbling all the time, and now Chidi gone our ST is not exactly an awe inspiring unit !

Ibleedblk&gld
09-01-2007, 06:29 PM
I guess they think Mahan can handle it. Kendall Simmons has played some center so he's available in an emergency situation.

If something happens to Mahan we are sunk because Philip is the only real backup and he's got no experience. I like Marvin, I think he's got a lot of potential but he's got very little experience at the most important position on the OL.

I wanted to see Chidi stay as well, damn between Coc being here, Reid fumbling all the time, and now Chidi gone our ST is not exactly an awe inspiring unit !

i'd rather see willie reid receiving punts and kick offs over ricardo colclough...let's not forget the muffed kick return from last season, when colclough tried to catch the ball off his facemask, which turned into a turnover on our own 5 yrd line

Mike Tomlin
09-01-2007, 07:40 PM
I wonder if they cut Okobi to open up money to extend Faneca's contract. Maybe they waited to to see how he would play this preseason with out it. I hope they do , but if not that's more money to work with. i say win -win

BlitzburghNation
09-01-2007, 07:57 PM
I wonder if they cut Okobi to open up money to extend Faneca's contract. Maybe they waited to to see how he would play this preseason with out it. I hope they do , but if not that's more money to work with. i say win -win

Nice thought,,,,,,,,,,:bigthumb:

But IMO he's a cardinal next year ~~~~ :banging:

DIESELMAN
09-01-2007, 08:02 PM
I hope Chukky does go to Arizona, then he can sit his fatass on their bench collecting NFL "welfare" checks at about $850,000 a year.

AZ_Steeler
09-01-2007, 08:11 PM
The Okobi is the biggest surprise to me, followed by Haynes... Oh well though... I wasn't to attached to them :D

Ambridge
09-01-2007, 08:20 PM

Is it a bad time to bring up passing on Nick Mangold in last years draft and Ryan Kalil this past draft????? :greengrin::greengrin:

Iron City South
09-01-2007, 09:17 PM

Not sunk ..... Stapleton is our backup center. Many don't even know about him but I've read 2 articles already that both said he could very well be the best C on the Steelers roster.

MDSteel15
09-01-2007, 09:36 PM
If these are the cuts, who are our WRs???
Ward - Holmes - Wilson - Reid and who?

------------------------------------------------------------
[AutoMerged Post Below]

and how old are you? But not your fault you don't know about the 70's....
:bigthumb::cope::yesnod::tt02:

Ibleedblk&gld
09-01-2007, 09:42 PM

FRANCO HARRIS FTMFW!!!!

btw, has anyone ever heard of "Beating the Odds"? My uncle (Rocky Scalzi) is the founder of it...check it out :)

www.beatingtheodds.org

BlackGold4vr
09-02-2007, 12:26 AM
Two of the newest Steelers that I am thrilled for are Carey Davis and Gary Russell. Welcome to the team guys! I think I can speak for most of the members of this site and say we are glad you made the cut! Both of you ran hard and earned your stripes. I would have been upset if either of these guys hadn't made it. One of our weaker positions on the team (after the starters of course) has now become one of our strengths. We are deep at RB and FB.

:clap: :brownssuck: :touchdownrun: :beer3: :towelwave:

BlitzburghRockCity
09-02-2007, 12:34 AM
Not sunk ..... Stapleton is our backup center. Many don't even know about him but I've read 2 articles already that both said he could very well be the best C on the Steelers roster.

I knew he was on the roster but I didn't know that much about him, I was figuring some combination of Mahan,Okobi, and Philip would be the mainstays at Center for us. I'll have to check into this guy more.

Prosdo
09-02-2007, 08:37 AM

Washington

Prosdo
09-02-2007, 08:38 AM
I am glad to see Haynes go with Cary Davis and Gary Russell showing up. I agree that we will be drafting a center in next year's draft.

Stairwayto7
09-02-2007, 09:21 AM

[AutoMerged Post Below]

Don`t forget Washington!

K Train
09-02-2007, 12:00 PM
you guys all love capizzi, i guess cause hes a mammoth, keep in mind that hes not walter jones, he was undrafted for a reason and he was cut for a reason

Black@Gold Forever32
09-02-2007, 12:42 PM
you guys all love capizzi, i guess cause hes a mammoth, keep in mind that hes not walter jones, he was undrafted for a reason and he was cut for a reason

Not to many LTs are Walter Jones..lol I don't think anybody ever started that Cappizzi would ever be on that level to...lol But do you really feel comfortable with Starks or Essex as the backup LT?lol So I think it was worth a shot to keep Cappizzi on the 53 man roster and hope he continued to develop and at least could become a quality backup down the road......If he clears waivers I expect him to end up on the practice squad.....

K Train
09-02-2007, 12:55 PM
the thing is, essex must be better than him, sure we all saw him blow up a few DEs, but that was in the 4th quarter against scrubs, he obviosuly doesnt have the stuff and got outplayed by essex

Black@Gold Forever32
09-02-2007, 01:05 PM
the thing is, essex must be better than him, sure we all saw him blow up a few DEs, but that was in the 4th quarter against scrubs, he obviosuly doesnt have the stuff and got outplayed by essex

Essex must be better then Cappizzi? How so? What have we ever seen out of Essex that he can be a quality backup LT? Oh I know the sacks he gave up this pre-season...lol The reason Essex was kept is he can play guard were Cappizzi would have been just a LT/RT......

I'm not saying Cappizzi was great or anything this pre-season...But I do think he showed enough to make the team....I still think the Steelers need a backup LT.....I don't think Essex or Starks are the answer at LT.......So hopefully Essex can at least show he can be a backup OG or that will be another wasted 3rd round pick....lol

K Train
09-02-2007, 01:06 PM
dude, im telling you that capiizi didnt get cut because hes a superstar in the making, he got cut because he sucks and is gonna go through life just a big *** dude

Black@Gold Forever32
09-02-2007, 01:09 PM
dude, im telling you that capiizi didnt get cut because hes a superstar in the making, he got cut because he sucks and is gonna go through life just a big *** dude

When did I ever ****ing state that Cappizzi was a super star in the making? Learn to ****ing read.......When has Essex showed he was anything better?:lol:

K Train
09-02-2007, 01:46 PM
wasnt talking to you :dunno:

Black@Gold Forever32
09-02-2007, 01:51 PM
wasnt talking to you :dunno:

My fault.....:bigthumb:thought you were.....

BlitzburghRockCity
09-02-2007, 01:56 PM
Starks is worse at LT than he is at RT. LT requires even more footwork and more versatility because you're watching the QB's blindside. If Starks had to play LT we might as well hang it up because he can't get out of his own way at RT where Ben can atleast catch a glimpse of the defender out of the corner of his eye.

I was really hoping Essex would take control of the backup spot but it seems neither him nor Kemoeatu can put it together enough to instill some confidence to be a viable option if they have to play. Right now there's just no one better to fight for those jobs so they almost win by default.

Koopa
09-02-2007, 02:10 PM

best post in the histroy of message boards lol

Koopa
09-02-2007, 02:14 PM
Is it a bad time to bring up passing on Nick Mangold in last years draft and Ryan Kalil this past draft????? :greengrin::greengrin:

no cause

holmes >>>>>>> mangold

woodley and timmons >>>>>>>>> kalil

we had bigger needs then a ****ing mangold

and kalil is a bitch

Koopa
09-02-2007, 02:19 PM

that's what i don't get, okobi only lost out on his job because his ribs and his salary, mahan did not show that he was better, infact he ****ed up more...... this is a bitch *** move by the rooneys to save money that they don't need to save, i hate old rich ppl, always penny pinching, not like the money goes with them when they die, spend it while you have old ****s :lol:

I was really hoping Baker could make the club but I'd bet he'll get signed to the PS.

baker showed nothing, but yeah he'll sign with the PS

Kuhn, Capizzi and Youngand McBean probably get signed to the PS as well.

nope, kuhn is no longer eligible for PS because he was activated for to many games last year....hahahahahaha

Im glad we're keeping 3 QB's, I just hate only having 2, it's way too risky

having st. perrier is just like having 2 qbs the dude is a ****ing bum, we'd be better off letting casey hampton run the offense if the other two break lol

MDSteel15
09-02-2007, 03:45 PM
Washington

CRAP! :banging: can i say that?? CRAP:cursin:

K Train
09-02-2007, 04:06 PM
washington is gonna be great, you cant say you would rather have young or baker

Prosdo
09-02-2007, 04:16 PM
washington is gonna be great, you cant say you would rather have young or baker

I agree. I think he will turn in to a very good receiver. He just has some issues to address.

Black@Gold Forever32
09-02-2007, 04:18 PM
I don't think the word great and Nate Washington should ever be used in the same sentence.....lol But I do think Nate has talent and is the third best WR on this team.......He is a good slot WR and hopefully he develops into a solid number 2 WR one day....

K Train
09-02-2007, 04:18 PM
which is why he went undrafted, he was a very raw player, and still is but he has all the tools and work ethic to be great, most of you are haters but i KNOW hes gonna be great and is gonna be the reason we let that little ******* **** **** ****** wilson walk next year lol

Black@Gold Forever32
09-02-2007, 04:22 PM
Were haters because we say Nate has to work on some things and don't think he is great?lol Dude Jerry Rice was great....Lance "Bambi" Alworth was great.....

I don't think Nate Washington will ever be a great player like that....But that doesn't mean I'm a hater and don't think he can be a good starting NFL WR one day....People throw greatness around to easy these days...lol

K Train
09-02-2007, 04:25 PM
by great i mean good, im a supporter, alot of people thinks he sucks.....which i dont, i think hes a really good player and has some great skills. maybe great isnt the word...i think holmes is gonna be great, i think nate is just gonna be a badass #3.....is that better? lol

Blitzburghpete
09-02-2007, 04:44 PM
I don't like it that they cut both Chukki and Phillips. someone said it earlier we're just one injury ( Mahan ) to having a lot of problems and i wasn't impressed that mahan was the best option any way.
Guess we know know why they kept Kreider to pick up the missed blocks from the line..
I'm not happy with these cuts.

BlackGold4vr
09-02-2007, 04:53 PM
Saw a ticker on NFLN that said Kuhn was signed by the Packers. Good for him! Glad he is going to be given a chance by somebody even if it wasn't with us. Sorry, TG know you like this guy.

:clap:

K Train
09-02-2007, 06:47 PM
packers like our scrub RBs more than we like their lol

BlackGold4vr
09-02-2007, 07:51 PM
That's just not true! We are still employing Najeh Davenport and he was a Green Bay cast-off. :yesnod:

K Train
09-02-2007, 07:51 PM
thats what i mean, they have herron and kuhn. we only have davenport lol

BlackGold4vr
09-02-2007, 07:54 PM
thats what i mean, they have herron and kuhn. we only have davenport lol

They don't have Herron. He was placed on their injured reserve list which normally means out for the year with an injury.

K Train
09-02-2007, 07:55 PM
hes still one of our scrubs representing the packers now lol

BlitzburghRockCity
09-02-2007, 08:46 PM
Saw a ticker on NFLN that said Kuhn was signed by the Packers. Good for him! Glad he is going to be given a chance by somebody even if it wasn't with us. Sorry, TG know you like this guy.

:clap:

Yeah Im happy for him, it's too bad he couldn't make our squad but Im glad he's able to have a chance to make some noise in cheese land. He used to come around to the local bars here but I guess that won't be as frequent any more :lol:

SteelerFan87
09-03-2007, 06:24 PM
I ams extremely pissed that Okobi was cut. Mahan has shown me nothing to be worthy of being the starter, let alone to have virtually NOTHING backing him up. In fact, the only thing I can remember from Mahan was his bad snap to Ben on one play, and then not knowing the snap count on another play.

Oh well. I wish Okobi nothing but the best in Arizona with Whiz and Grimm.

K Train
09-03-2007, 06:29 PM
okobi has done nothing his whole career so it didnt matter

SteelersfaninPhilly
09-03-2007, 07:17 PM
okobi has done nothing his whole career so it didnt matter

neither has Mahan.

K Train
09-03-2007, 07:20 PM
which is exactly why i said it didnt matter either way :scratch:

Mike Tomlin
09-03-2007, 07:25 PM
How long has Okobi been here? I know Mahan's only been here a few months, so he can't know as much as Okobi as far as our style of football. If Okobi couldn't beat seperate himself from Mahan he deserves to get his a** cut. You always out do the new guy.

TEEMONT
09-04-2007, 12:16 AM
which is why he went undrafted, he was a very raw player, and still is but he has all the tools and work ethic to be great, most of you are haters but i KNOW hes gonna be great and is gonna be the reason we let that little ******* **** **** ****** wilson walk next year lol

You mean like Jason Capizzi? Im just sayin....how can you say one guy went undrafted for a reason and got cut for a reason, but when someone you like went undrafted it was b/c he's raw, not b/c he sucks.

[AutoMerged Post Below]

Oh get over the 70's. Franco Harris was great, but I will take our current back-ups over his anyday of the week. **** Frenchy Fuqua, even Bleir wasn't that good. Most of these guys today would be superstars back in the day.

K Train
09-04-2007, 03:23 PM
there is a big difference between undrafted WRs that play at tiny colleges and mammoth olineman that played at pitt before getting in trouble and transfering to a D2 school and dominating. Wr are way more common to find gems than left tackles, capizzi ****ing sucks, washington is gonna be a badass

TEEMONT
09-04-2007, 05:08 PM
there is a big difference between undrafted WRs that play at tiny colleges and mammoth olineman that played at pitt before getting in trouble and transfering to a D2 school and dominating. Wr are way more common to find gems than left tackles, capizzi ****ing sucks, washington is gonna be a badass

How can you even say Capizzi sucks? What exactly has he done to show you that. It's just your opinion. Washingotn is no where near as good as you think he is. I played against the dude in the NAIA, and he didn't even dominate there. He was abovve average. Badass, and a #3 WR are two different things. Washington will never be anything more than a #3 and this year he is a #4, behind your boy Ced.

Capizza is going to be a pretty solid LT, much better than Starks or that mound of nothing Essex. They should have kept him. Capizzi would have provided decent depth for a few yers, then, once Smith was gone he could have stepped in and been decent. Nate will be a number 3 but never anything better.

Black@Gold Forever32
09-04-2007, 05:21 PM
How can you even say Capizzi sucks? What exactly has he done to show you that. It's just your opinion. Washingotn is no where near as good as you think he is. I played against the dude in the NAIA, and he didn't even dominate there. He was abovve average. Badass, and a #3 WR are two different things. Washington will never be anything more than a #3 and this year he is a #4, behind your boy Ced.

Capizza is going to be a pretty solid LT, much better than Starks or that mound of nothing Essex. They should have kept him. Capizzi would have provided decent depth for a few yers, then, once Smith was gone he could have stepped in and been decent. Nate will be a number 3 but never anything better.

I would a have to agree with Tee about Capizzi...I think he showed enough to make the team and was worth keeping as backup OT period.....He showed to better at LT then Starks or Essex....

I disagree with Tee about Nate Washington....I don't think he is as good as Ktrain thinks...But I think Nate will be a solid number three with the potential to maybe one day to be a solid number 2 WR....We shall see though...