PDA

View Full Version : On and Off the chopping block

Captcoolhand
08-31-2007, 07:21 AM
It does not look like a banner year for the Steelers' rookie draft class. Linebacker LaMarr Woodley (second round), cornerback William Gay (fifth) and punter Daniel Sepulveda (fourth) have been the only productive rookie draftees in the preseason. Those three, plus top pick Lawrence Timmons, a linebacker mostly injured since the Steelers picked him in the first round, and tight end Matt Spaeth should make the team when coach Mike Tomlin finishes his cuts.
It appears he will cut another fourth-rounder, defensive end Ryan McBean, who was impressive early in camp but then fell way off. Fifth-rounder Cameron Stephenson, a guard from Rutgers, likely will be cut, as well. His former college teammate, Darnell Stapleton, also a guard, has been more impressive and could make it as an undrafted rookie. Another undrafted rookie with a strong chance of making the cut is running back Gary Russell. Wide receiver Dallas Baker, a seventh-round pick who led Florida in receiving last season and scored 10 touchdowns, might wind up on the practice squad.
Tomlin must cut his roster to 53 by 11 a.m. tomorrow. He's not likely to make any of those cuts today.
St. Pierre on practice squad

After rechecking, the Steelers have determined that quarterback Brian St. Pierre is eligible for the practice squad. Players are eligible unless they've been active for nine games in one season or been on practice squads for three years. St. Pierre had spent time on practice squads for two seasons when the Steelers signed him to their practice squad last year.
However, he only spent one week on the practice squad before he was added to the 53-man roster. It turns out, a player must spend at least three weeks on the practice squad for it to count as one season. That does not mean Mike Tomlin will put him there, but it gives him another option. Tomlin believes in having three quarterbacks. He could have two on the 53-man roster and one on the practice squad in reserve if one of the two are injured. The Steelers would have to release St. Pierre and then sign him to the practice squad, so if anyone else is interested in him they could offer him a contract as part of their 53-man roster.
Injury report

Hines Ward, who had surgery Tuesday to repair his nose, broken last Sunday in a game against Philadelphia, did not suit up last night. Also not suiting up for the Steelers: tight ends Heath Miller (shoulder) and Jerame Tuman (back), and defensive end Travis Kirschke (back). ... Center Marvin Philip left in the second quarter with what was described as a turned right ankle. Either Philip or Chukky Okobi will be the backup to starter Sean Mahan. ... Linebacker Marquis Cooper also left with a hamstring injury, and St. Pierre left in the fourth quarter with a toe injury.
Quick hits

The start of the game was delayed until 8:20 p.m. because of the threat of a thunderstorm. ... The Cardinals signed punter Mike Barr after the Steelers released him last week.Cardinals need to find their own players.
I really thought Barr was a pretty good Kicker.:2cents:

BlitzburghRockCity
08-31-2007, 07:30 AM
There's no way BSP should be on the PS. It's way too risky to only carry 2 QB's on the active roster. It's way too risky to put him on the PS; he could be signed away by any other team and there's not a thing we could do about it. The dude knows our offense as well as anybody and it would be stupid to risk such a key position by not carrying 3.

Guaranteed Russel makes the team, IMO. Him and Davis both showed they deserve roster positions behind Willie and Najeh and along with Kreider.

ARKIESTEEL
08-31-2007, 09:50 AM
I thought Lamar looked great all Pre season

okiesteeler
08-31-2007, 10:13 AM
BSP has been cut and resigned every season, i dont think anyone will pick him up, he is a career 3rd stringer and will be with the steelers the whole time imo

Iron City South
08-31-2007, 10:22 AM
Timmons is rapidly redeeming himself in my eyes. He actually looked like he knew what was going on out there last night; extremely fast on some plays .... looked great. No question he's still trying to make up for lost reps, but what I see is weekly improvement ..... which is what you want and expect.

Mike Tomlin
08-31-2007, 10:34 AM
Timmons is rapidly redeeming himself in my eyes. He actually looked like he knew what was going on out there last night; extremely fast on some plays .... looked great. No question he's still trying to make up for lost reps, but what I see is weekly improvement ..... which is what you want and expect.

I didn't see the game last night but i knew the only reason Timmons didn't play good last game was play recoginition. He has the speed and will knock you out, he just could read and reat last week because it was all new to him. By the 3rd game he'll be a beast.

Prosdo
08-31-2007, 11:06 AM
Guaranteed Russel makes the team, IMO. Him and Davis both showed they deserve roster positions behind Willie and Najeh and along with Kreider.

Russel definitely deserves a shot over Verron Haynes.

manofsteel
08-31-2007, 12:29 PM
Woodley is looking like he could be a starte real soon. ANd timmons didnt look as confused this week. Russell and Davis both have good shots over Haynes. BSP looked like crap last night, but then again so did his O line and I dont think his receivers were getting open. Willie Reed looked like he might become that Return threat that we were hoping for.

AZ_Steeler
08-31-2007, 12:46 PM
There's no way BSP should be on the PS. It's way too risky to only carry 2 QB's on the active roster. It's way too risky to put him on the PS; he could be signed away by any other team and there's not a thing we could do about it. The dude knows our offense as well as anybody and it would be stupid to risk such a key position by not carrying 3.

:ditto: on the QB's!

steelcitysfinestXL
08-31-2007, 01:04 PM
in my very unprofessional opinion i dont think we need 3 qbs on the active roster. If we get in a situation where Ben and Batch both get hurt in the same game ( highly unlikely with all the qb rules, but still def. possible) we are screwed regardlees. I would rather see us keep Krieder both Davis and Russell make the team and possibly a 6th wide out... BSP's only advantage is that he does know the system... its not like hes the Matt Schaub or Charlie Batch type guy who is gonna light it up when he comes off the bench! I think with the position battles we have had this year and the competitors we have, that roster spot is more valuble somewhere else!!1

Iron City South
08-31-2007, 01:07 PM
BSP can in fact go to the PS ..... It was originally thought that he couldn't. This makes room for Russell.