PDA

View Full Version : Does Tomlin need to control the players better ?

BlitzburghRockCity
08-29-2007, 05:22 PM
Faneca has griped to the media, now it's Okobi. Wilson did it last year and alittle bit this year. We aren't used to seeing players take their contract status to the media so openly like this. This is something that Tomlin needs to get squared away because we don't want to end up like other teams who have players in the news every week because somebody is griping about something they don't like. Obviously he can't be everywhere at once nor can he make everyone happy but still, I don't want to see this team with players in the news griping all the time.

Inevitably there will be unhappy campers when a new regime starts, especially when things have been the same way for virtually all of these players careers in a Steeler uniform.

Blitzburghpete
08-29-2007, 05:26 PM
I think Tomlin knows what he's doing. Maybe letting these players gripe about things is going to get the best out of them? IE they show Coach what they can do.

Faneca, i'm not convinced his best years are ahead of him anymore, and think mayeb one more year and we trade him for a high draft pick.
Wilson, show us what you got mate.
Okkobi, ok then, if you want the centre job, go out and proove your the best damm centre there is.

Black@Gold Forever32
08-29-2007, 05:32 PM
Faneca is a free agent after this year.....So if the Steelers were going to trade then they would have to do it before the trade dead line this year....which is in Oct. I think....

K Train
08-29-2007, 05:35 PM
faneca was a whiny bitch before tomlin, tomlin came into a good situation with a few whiners...not really an issue imo.

just cut wilson lol

BlitzburghRockCity
08-29-2007, 05:47 PM
Faneca is a free agent after this year.....So if the Steelers were going to trade then they would have to do it before the trade dead line this year....which is in Oct. I think....

If our OL was in better shape I think they'd probably consider that, atleast I would if I were them but I think with the way things are shaping up and the OL still not decided they're going to keep him and get 1 more year out of him.

Black@Gold Forever32
08-29-2007, 05:51 PM
If our OL was in better shape I think they'd probably consider that, atleast I would if I were them but I think with the way things are shaping up and the OL still not decided they're going to keep him and get 1 more year out of him.

Oh I don't think the Steelers are going to trade Faneca....Pete just asked about the Steelers trading him next year.....Which the Steelers can't since Faneca will be a FA after this year....

Ambridge
08-29-2007, 06:26 PM
I think Tomlin's hands are still tied a bit with the vets just because of the transition process.
The longer Tomlin is here and entrenches his way of doing things I believe he'll get a stranglehold on some of this spouting off and it will disappear.

GoBenGo
08-29-2007, 07:11 PM
imo MT is not to blame , and I would like to give the benefit odf doubt that he was as blindsided by this as everyone. It happened , I beleive he will address it individually, and the machine rolls on. I am seeing isolated incidents from players that the media does not necessarally seek out on a week to week basis. If we had an Owens, or a Vanderjack, etc then control issues might be raised.
No one doubted Bill's control and we had mouths in the media such as Porter.
( I am a Porter fan btw)

K Train
08-29-2007, 07:13 PM
porter wasnt a whiner though, he just talked **** about everything, which is cool with me

BlitzburghRockCity
08-29-2007, 08:08 PM
I love trash talkers, well to an extent. Everyteam needs a couple of them to fire up the troops and keep things interesting. Now the ratbirds take that stuff so far that it's just ridiculous and takes away from the game because their so stupid but generally speaking having some good ole fashion trash talk is fun :bluelol: especially in division games.

Seeing more players now come to the media with gripes just worries me a bit because that's not an identity that our team has had before.

K Train
08-29-2007, 08:16 PM
anthony smith is next in the line of great steeler **** talkers, hes such a cocky mother ****er i love it lol

Steel-Da-One
08-29-2007, 09:58 PM
really? i seem to remember porter bitching nonstop about his contract for two years before he left.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06230/714492-66.stm

K Train
08-29-2007, 10:03 PM
bitching non stop? you mean by saying he wanted a new contract but still showing up to camp and playing the whole season without complaint? and then getting cut and not making his roster bonus and not saying anything bad about the team that made him what he was? and by saying that hes a dolphin now but he'll always be a steeler? yeah what a whiny bitch, say what you want about porter some people dont like the trash talking and the ego but he was a good player for us and was well respected in the organization and handle being cut so troy could get a new contract pretty well imo

Steel-Da-One
08-29-2007, 10:08 PM
bitching non stop? you mean by saying he wanted a new contract but still showing up to camp and playing the whole season without complaint? and then getting cut and not making his roster bonus and not saying anything bad about the team that made him what he was? and by saying that hes a dolphin now but he'll always be a steeler? yeah what a whiny bitch, say what you want about porter some people dont like the trash talking and the ego but he was a good player for us and was well respected in the organization and handle being cut so troy could get a new contract pretty well imo

mouthing off to the press about being underpaid is not exactly without complaint. and the article i linked was a long string of very vocal complaints by porter about it. the same stuff that faneca is being demonized for and rightfully so now is the same stuff that porter pulled in the past. after all faneca showed up for tc as well.