PDA

View Full Version : Steelers' Reid still bobbling opportunity

Captcoolhand
08-29-2007, 02:53 PM
He recently talked about all that his prized first-round pick can do on a football field. But Steelers coach Mike Tomlin offered this caveat regarding Lawrence Timmons: what the former Florida State star did at "Tallahassee" doesn't mean much anymore.
He might have delivered a similar message to wide receiver/kick returner Willie Reid on Tuesday morning.
"I challenged him in front of his peers," Tomlin said.
Reid couldn't get on the field last year because of a numbers crunch and an injury, and he won't stay on it this season if he doesn't start showing the stuff that made him one of the most dazzling return men in Florida State history.
Tomlin said Reid will be back returning punts Thursday when the Steelers visit the Carolina Panthers for their final preseason game.
That Tomlin publicly talked about calling out Reid, however, shows that he may be losing patience with the second-year pro.
Reid, the only Florida State player aside from Deion Sanders to gain 1,000 career yards in punt returns, is averaging just 4.9 yards on eight punt returns during the preseason. In Sunday's 27-13 win over the Eagles he fumbled a punt deep in Steelers territory, though he did recover it.
"I think I'm just too anxious to go out and make big plays," said Reid, a third-round pick of the Steelers in 2006. "Coaches have mentioned to me that I'm trying to hit the home run all the time instead of getting what I'm supposed to get and that will be it."
It's understandable if Reid is a little overanxious.
He didn't dress in the Steelers' first three games as a rookie last season since he was the odd man out at wide receiver. Against the San Diego Chargers, he left the game early after spraining his left foot while returning a kickoff.
The injury, which was actually a mid-foot sprain, sidelined him for the rest of the season and even caused Reid to miss some of the Steelers' offseason practices.
Reid emerged as one of the early stars of training camp, showing his toughness as a wide receiver and a burst that could be attributed to his foot being healed.
So where, Steelers fans are asking, is the player who burned Penn State for 180 yards and a touchdown on punt returns in the 2006 Orange Bowl?
"You never know when that play is going to come, and it usually comes when you least expect it, so I just think it's a matter of time," wide receiver Cedrick Wilson said. "You've got to be patient."
Wilson replaced Reid as a punt returner after the latter fumbled against the Eagles early in the second quarter. Yet both Reid and Wilson said it had been determined before the game that Reid would give way to Wilson after fielding two punts.
"My confidence is still high," Reid said. "I just had a couple of mistakes, and that's the whole story."
The story could change if Reid struggles on returns Thursday.
"We'll see what he brings," Tomlin said of the game against the Panthers, "but I expect him to bring it, because he's a competitor." Well i know that it came by surprise when We picked him, got use to having him. Had high hopes in keeping him, but Dude better start turning things around or he just might be getting his walking papers.

K Train
08-29-2007, 02:57 PM
no were not giving up on him yet, i still think hes gonna come around...he needs one return, just one that will get his confidence up and i think he will be fine, muffing that punt last week was a little more damaging for his confience, he can be a terror and i expect him to come around, hopefully sooner rather than later

Koopa
08-29-2007, 03:01 PM
the dude is just way over thinking ****, he's afraid to **** up, cause ppl in pitt are *******s and will set his house on fire lol........he needs to just go out and play, cause when you worry about ****ing up, that's what usually happens you **** up..........

anyway, i think it's stupid not to use holmes, he has a full year of experince, and the last half of the season he was starting to get a hang of being a good return man in the nfl......... and it's not like not like he's the work horse wr that he wouldn't have energy to be a starter and the punt returner, ARE did it just fine his final year with the steelers

K Train
08-29-2007, 03:05 PM
yeah but ARE was a #3 who didnt do **** on offense, holmes was getting the hang of it but we want him to be on the field all the time on offense now, we should just have gay do it, hes good at everything else lol

BlitzburghRockCity
08-29-2007, 03:06 PM
He's driving me nuts, it's like Coc flashbacks all over again from 2006. Everytime I see him back there I get worried and sure enough he's delivered on the bobble or fumble almost every time he's gotten a chance to return a kick.

The dude can do it, Im sure of it other wise he wouldn't have lasted this long on the squad but he's got to relax and just play. You know his confidence has to be in question right now so he needs to get that under control and just play and have fun.

Between Gay, Baker ( if he makes the team) , Reid, and Wilson we outta be able to find somebody who can hold onto the damn ball.

K Train
08-29-2007, 03:08 PM
im telling you, one missed tackle is all he needs, if he can break one, he will be fine

Mach1
08-29-2007, 03:18 PM
If he learns how to hold the ball and not fumble it away I think he'll be fine back there.

Koopa
08-29-2007, 03:25 PM
yeah but ARE was a #3 who didnt do shiat on offense, holmes was getting the hang of it but we want him to be on the field all the time on offense now, we should just have gay do it, hes good at everything else lol

ARE was the starter his final season here

Stlrs4Life
08-29-2007, 03:59 PM
Well, let's be opimistic I guess.

Mike Tomlin
08-29-2007, 04:01 PM
I agree all it take is for him to take one to the house then we'll see what the comments look like. He show what he can do when he gets the ball secured. It's just like with Nate Washington dropping balls wasn't a problem until everyone made it one, then it sticks in your head that everytime you are thrown the ball u must catch it. That leads to trying too hard, which leads to more mistakes.

Black@Gold Forever32
08-29-2007, 04:29 PM
As for Willie Reid....I'm tired of the potential talk....I was excited when he was drafted....I remember his punt returns against Penn State.........But its time for Willie Reid to show he belongs at the NFL level....I'm Coach Tomlin on this.....if Reid continues to suck *** then cut his sorry ***..lol

I with K Train on that Holmes should just stay as a WR....Yes Randle El was a starter in 2005......But he only had 1 TD as a WR and his numbers were not that great.......So to me even though El started he was more like a 3rd WR.....My hopes for Holmes is that he puts up star type numbers as a WR....But if nobody emerges as a consistent return man then Holmes might be the Steelers only option...

I think Wilson has looked solid in punt returning....But I know in the past he said he doesn't like doing it...lol What a bitch....lol

K Train
08-29-2007, 04:31 PM
yeah, wilsons a huge bitch, cut him lol

Black@Gold Forever32
08-29-2007, 04:35 PM
In 2005 El played in all 16 games and started 15....So El was the starting 2 WR.....But Wilson did rotate with El every third series that year and Wilson did get alot of playing time....

K Train
08-29-2007, 04:37 PM
when was the last time we had a decent #2 lol wilson and el did nothing as a WR lol, plax was a bitch.....wtf? lol

Black@Gold Forever32
08-29-2007, 04:42 PM
when was the last time we had a decent #2 lol wilson and el did nothing as a WR lol, plax was a bitch.....wtf? lol

Plax was good when he wanted to be....He was very good in 01 and 02....His rookie year sucked.....Then 03 was a down year...He actually was solid in 04 and was Ben's favorite target but an hamstring limited him in 04....

But you're right the Steelers have struggled to get that number 2 WR....With Holmes I'm sure we finally have that number 2 WR and then some....Hell Holmes might over take Ward this year...I doubt it but you never know......I think Hines will have more catches but Holmes might have more yardage..... Plus it wouldn't surprise me if Holmes leads the Steelers in TD catches this year....I'm picking Heath to lead the Steelers in TD receptions but Holmes has the skills to do so....

steelerfan11
08-29-2007, 05:47 PM
the dude is just way over thinking shiat, he's afraid to **** up, cause ppl in pitt are *******s and will set his house on fire lol........he needs to just go out and play, cause when you worry about ****ing up, that's what usually happens you **** up..........

Koop, pittsburgh people are not like those people in morgantown!! Now we will call for his head and crap...but not set things on fire. :lol: :plus1:

ARKIESTEEL
08-30-2007, 01:22 PM
With alot of things going bad on punt return with a bunch of differnt players when do we need to look at coaching

GoBenGo
08-30-2007, 01:53 PM
Koop, pittsburgh people are not like those people in morgantown!! Now we will call for his head and crap...but not set things on fire. :lol: :plus1:

Morgantown does keep the Unkel Daddy fire dept busy, don't they?

BRICKTOWN BEAST
08-30-2007, 05:18 PM
Yeah When I saw him bobble it he's definetly thinking touchdown before the ball is caught. just like a reciever trying to run with it before its caught. Ifs hes just patientent hell eventually break that big one.

but what I like about Ried is when he drops the ball at least he ALWAYS picks it up:bigthumb:

BlitzburghRockCity
08-31-2007, 06:00 AM
Reid got a lot of looks from BSP last night in the game, he actually had a decent night and unless I missed it he didn't fumble at all :woot:

manofsteel
08-31-2007, 11:36 AM
He did look real decsent last nigh ran good routes two solid returns and a nice catch.

SteelersWoman
08-31-2007, 01:40 PM
He looked like a different kid last night--with all the presure that had mounted, I'm not sure how he pulled it off, but he did a fine job. I have not one complaint to level against him. He even plowed straight up the middle and busted through some guys and pulled a couple along with him on one return--and he's not even that big. He seemed like a man on a mission last night.

K Train
08-31-2007, 01:56 PM
like ive said, he CAN do it, weve seen it, and we will see it more, you all are way to quick to call for his head, this is what preseason is for.

Stlrs4Life
08-31-2007, 02:58 PM
I don't think he did very well last might. I think he only makes the team cause we have nobody else to return the ball.

Black@Gold Forever32
08-31-2007, 03:45 PM
like ive said, he CAN do it, weve seen it, and we will see it more, you all are way to quick to call for his head, this is what preseason is for.

I don't think one little 30 yard punt return and one 28 yard kick off return proves jack for Willie Reid...Finally he has a couple of decent returns after a whole pre-season of suck...lol Until I see Reid consistently have good returns I will be hard on him......

The real bullets start flying now so Willie better be up to it....This team needs a return man......and I really don't want Wilson returning kicks...lol or Colclough.....

K Train
08-31-2007, 04:23 PM
i didnt say he proved himself 100%, but not everyone can be devin hester, give him some time

JB 67
08-31-2007, 05:08 PM
I agree i think confidence is important for the kid also good to see him make some plays after the coach called him out..

Black@Gold Forever32
08-31-2007, 07:56 PM
i didnt say he proved himself 100%, but not everyone can be devin hester, give him some time

I never expected Willie Reid to be Devin Hester....:dunno: I just want him to prove he can consistently get the job done at the NFL level....He was a badass at Florida State....That doesn't mean **** anymore...lol Last year his rookie year was wiped out with a foot injury...Ok injuries happen...But now its time for Reid to step up to the plate....He finally had a couple good returns...Ok thats a start....I just hope it continues....I'm not sold on Reid yet....I like the kid to but I want to see results.lol This team needs a return man bad.....So really its all up to Reid...Not unless we want to Ced Wilson returning kicks...lol

K Train
08-31-2007, 07:57 PM
one KR at a time lol

Black@Gold Forever32
08-31-2007, 08:18 PM
one KR at a time lol

lol.......This might not be a surprise....But I'm not a very patient person...lol

BlitzburghRockCity
08-31-2007, 08:24 PM
The team is putting an awful lot into this kid as being the main return guy so he needs to come through. Right now we have no other viable options in the return game except for Wilson who can do well but returning isn't his forte and Holmes who needs to concentrate on WR right now. Reid can do it, he showed he has the potential last night but now he needs to start doing it consistently and not get freaked out because we just cannot have fumbles and bobbles in the return game at all.

Black@Gold Forever32
08-31-2007, 08:28 PM
The team is putting an awful lot into this kid as being the main return guy so he needs to come through. Right now we have no other viable options in the return game except for Wilson who can do well but returning isn't his forte and Holmes who needs to concentrate on WR right now. Reid can do it, he showed he has the potential last night but now he needs to start doing it consistently and not get freaked out because we just cannot have fumbles and bobbles in the return game at all.

Exactly Top, :banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

I hope Willie Reid comes through...I have been talking him up since he was drafted...My brother is getting tired of me talking up Reid and him doing nothing....lol Hopefully these couple returns gets Reid jump started int he right direction....

It all starts Sept. 9th in the Dawg Pound.....:tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02:

SteelerSal
08-31-2007, 08:43 PM
I hope Willie Reid comes through...I have been talking him up since he was drafted...My brother is getting tired of me talking up Reid and him doing nothing....lol Hopefully these couple returns gets Reid jump started int he right direction....

It all starts Sept. 9th in the Dawg Pound.....:tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02:

I have also. I watched alot of FSU games, when I lived in Florida and I was excited when we drafted Reid. I know what he is capable of doing, returning punts and I beleive it when he says he may be overanxious to make a big play.
I hope he makes the club, settles down and just naturally do what got him in the NFL.