PDA

View Full Version : Bus Stuck in Reverse

Iron City South
08-27-2007, 10:53 AM
Anyone catch the halftime interview with Bettis talking about comments he made in his book?

Listen, I liked the Bus as a Steeler, but the dude reverted to using scripted answers to say he wasn't taking shots at anybody even though his body gestures and high-pitched voice (like a kid in trouble) made him appear like a backpeddling liar trying to pass his quotes off as meaningless.

Stick with this one -- it relates to the topic at hand... Eventually.

Back in the dark ages - before DirecTV, before Cowher, before Bettis - I had a semi unfortunate one night stand with a pretty, yet damaged, young lady. I was clear with her that it was a one night stand -- she agreed. Those were the ground rules. Only she kept showing up at my room, my dining hall, my classrooms.

I was friends with an ex-boyfriend of hers. Took to calling her "the anti-christ" with him, and joking about her, and how "scary" she was, and other nice friendly things. I didn't know that the two of them were still close friends.

She called me on it. Confronted me in the dining hall in front of all my other friends. And I looked JUST LIKE Jerome Bettis did last night on TV. When he wrote what he wrote, he was like "What the hell, I don't play anymore, I can be courageous..." but as soon as the media got ahold of it, he realized how badly he blew it down his leg.

That was a classic face of a backtracker -- someone who is trying to make a comment sound like something it wasn't.

Like I said above, I liked JB the player, but JB the spokesman ain't doing it for me.

SteelerBee43
08-27-2007, 11:19 AM
I agree he looked like a kid in school that had gotten called on by the teacher to answer a question that he did'nt know the answer to.:scratch:He opened this pandoras box,so now he better be ready to deal with it.:dunno:

Stlrs4Life
08-27-2007, 12:13 PM
Wish I could have seen it.

digdug
08-27-2007, 12:24 PM
How courageous is it to throw nearly an entire team and coaching staff underneath himself (the Bus)?

The fury of the Steeler Nation shall be unleashed!:yesnod:

As to his answers - he wanted nothing to do with the question Collinsworthless posed to him about Stewart because he has now realized he was talking out of his *** about the whole situation. The drug dealer question - might as well asked him if we should all forgive Vick.

GoBenGo
08-27-2007, 12:42 PM
I missed it . Kinda glad I did. Don't want to see him become just another "sour grapes" :cursin: ex-player, who uses their new media job to constantly plead their case. I don't want to think of My Bus in the same way as Irvin, Sanders, and these other guys who keep wanting to tell us how much they had to overcome internally with their teams. I get it , you faced adversity, everyone who put your uniform on did.:deadhorse:

AZ_Steeler
08-27-2007, 01:08 PM
He was definitely back pedaling last night... I was waiting for the classic line "Well everyone else has done it!" but thankfully he didn't take that route. I'm on the fence when it comes to the bus. I understand his new media role, but this book and the comments being made really have me intrigue now and I think I just might read it to see what he really said. That's really all we have left to do because all of these stories lately hasn't had any excerpts taken from the book so maybe the Bus is telling the truth... however, if you need to explain yourself about what you wrote then maybe you didn't do a good job writing the book! ;)

Iron City South
08-27-2007, 05:49 PM
Like I said, Bettis the football analyst isn't cutting it for me. It's clearly not his thing .... The first thing I would do if I were him is fire his publicist / manager for some horrendous PR decisions of late.

Ambridge
08-27-2007, 05:53 PM
I saw the interview and Jerome did look like he was caught a little bit surprised that he was called out on a couple of issues. He tried to explain that what was said in the book and what was meant were two different things and that they were taken out of context.
I don't know if I believe it......I need to read the book.

Iron City South
08-27-2007, 05:56 PM
Bettis wasn't caught off guard ..... As a result of having scripted answers, you can tell he asked for the opportunity to explain his comments because of the media frenzy around some of his comments this past week. NBC set it up as if they were asking him questions off the cuff ..... which they weren't.

Stairwayto7
08-27-2007, 08:11 PM
As much as I like Bettis, I`m having a hard time dealing with his book crap. Especially just a little over a year removed from the game. Controvery sells, he blew it though!

K Train
08-27-2007, 08:52 PM
honestly, i dont like the bus, i havn't since he retired. He has really **** on us a few times since joining NBC. I mean its cool that he doesnt want to be all steelers all the time, that makes a good analyst but come on, you got ot fly your colors a little bit, collinsworth does, deion does...woodson, faulk....all a little, well deion alot but....thats to be expected.

you dont **** on a team that made your career....thats why im not a bus or cowher fan anymore, i feel used :(

BlitzburghRockCity
08-27-2007, 09:28 PM
Yeah I saw the interview as well, It seemed to me that he also basically asked for the chance to explain himself because the city and us Steeler fans have been in an uproar ever since he first came out with this stuff.

You don't make statement likes, "Stewart was set up to fail" or "I faked the timing of an injury to keep my job" and all the rest of the things he said and not have a hidden agenda. Who else is he talking about besides Cowher and or the Rooneys when he's talking like that.

I've always been a Bus fan and I'll read the book just because, but like Train I do feel like he's been dogging us ever since he retired. Look man, life in the NFL just like life anywhere else ain't all great all the time, but still don't bite the hand that fed you and put you in a position to be a sure fire HOF member.

Iron City South
08-27-2007, 09:30 PM
Bettis is trying too hard to keep pace with is playing salary now that he's retired (meaning he's trying too many ways to make a buck!) I think he's finding out it's a lot harder to make that kind of coin off the field ...than it is on the field without leaving a trail of burnt bridges in your wake.

BlitzburghRockCity
08-27-2007, 09:37 PM
Between his restaurant, his commentating job for NBC, and now his book the dude can't be hurting for money unless he was a total screw off with his finances and from I've ever heard about him he's pretty up in the business world with different ventures that he's involved in. I don't know but it just burns me up to see him rag on us; keeping it real and unbiased is one thing and Im all for that but damn atleast just keep your mouth shut if you're not going to say something positive or at least neutral about the organization or your teammates and coaches.

RckyMtnStlrFan
08-28-2007, 01:32 AM
The Bus rocks and always will. He was a great player for us and he deserves to be in th HOF. That being said, I'm also disappointed in his comments about the steeler organization. Even if it's true, he should shut his mouth about it. I haven't been impressed with his commentator skills and maybe that's why he's saying these things (trying to stay in the spotlight:scratch:). I hope he gets his **** together and starts talking trash about rival teams or anyone else but the Steelers.

Blitzburghpete
08-28-2007, 05:25 AM
Being in the Uk, sometimes it's good not to hear everything that's going on with my Steelers and i'm glad i missed that interview with the Bus, as i feel i would have been disapointed, but i've already ordered the book, and looking forward to getting it.

That said, there's no such thing as "bad publicity" and he's gonna sell more books now isn't he. TG said it he's got a good business sense!

Just a thought, but i saw a clip of John Riggins induction speech into the HOF yesterday on NFL.com. Very interesting. He was my first "hero" followed by the Bus. Thing is in Riggin's HOF speech he cranked on not about his team mates but about how football is a buisness that uses people.

here's the link to watch it. Bit i'm on about starts 2.15 in

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d8008f9f9

I'm not going to back what i haven't read or seen from the Bus, but remember he is in a postion to see and hear a heck of a lot more than we ever will, and as unpalatable as it might be to us starry eyed fans, the truth, if it is as the Bus says, is gonna hurt sometimes, because business decissions have to be made, by what is a busniess organization, the Steelers.

Iron City South
08-28-2007, 01:44 PM
That said, there's no such thing as "bad publicity" and he's gonna sell more books now isn't he.
Just a thought, but i saw a clip of John Riggins induction speech into the HOF yesterday on NFL.com. Very interesting. He was my first "hero" followed by the Bus. Thing is in Riggin's HOF speech he cranked on not about his team mates but about how football is a buisness that uses people.

I'm not going to back what i haven't read or seen from the Bus, but remember he is in a postion to see and hear a heck of a lot more than we ever will, and as unpalatable as it might be to us starry eyed fans, the truth, if it is as the Bus says, is gonna hurt sometimes, because business decissions have to be made, by what is a busniess organization, the Steelers.

First off, yes .... there is such as thing as "bad publicity" .... ask Mike Vick, he'll tell you.

Bettis violated a code of ethics that professional athletes allbeit active or retired live by; "Dirty laundry should be left inside the washroom" I have absolutely zero respect for somebody ... ANYBODY .... that wants to come out and air out the dirty laundry for the sake of monitary gain. There's no question that if Bettis sticks with this NFL Analyst gig ... his reputation is going to suffer. Why? ... because he broke the code .... he sold out the trust he once had with players. He already knows it, hence the nervous and jittery manner that he tried explaining his comments on-air the other day. He came across as backpeddling. Athletes now know that if they tell Bettis something, he's capable of using it against them for his own purposes.

As far as Riggen is concerned, for anybody that followed his career, the guys entire football history screams "HEAD CASE" .... But I will say that the guy earned his HOF induction. :bigthumb:

BRICKTOWN BEAST
08-28-2007, 03:38 PM
Did you see like the 30 seconds of the busses resturant? that steak looked delicious he should stick with that it seems to be going great.

Blitzburghpete
08-28-2007, 05:41 PM
First off, yes .... there is such as thing as "bad publicity" .... ask Mike Vick, he'll tell you. :

Yeah but as far as i know Vick isn't about to have a book come out right now is he?
My guess is the Bus for whatever reason with his publicist has leaked a few tit bit's about his book to get people interested. Thing he didn't reckon on is the reaction of how bad these leaked bit now make him look.

Just by the reaction of the people on this thread, some people who weren't going to buy his book, are now saying they will, just because it's now turning a little "juicy" hence more dollars for him.

I'm not defending the guy, i think it's wrong, but i had already ordered the book myself before all this kicked off, i'm just saying there's never any "bad publicity"

And i'm sure somewhere down the line Vick will write a book about the "dog" chapter of his life and make money out of us all.... and no i won;t buy that one.

It's a shame on the Bus as he's destroying his good guy image. I just hope when i get the book there's a lot of good things he does too.

DIESELMAN
08-28-2007, 08:46 PM
Sounds like Jerome forgot where he came from. He retired from the NFL in a storybook fashion. Illustrious career with the Steelers, highlighted by a SB win in his hometown of Detroit. He's announcing for the NFL, opened up a restaurant in Pittsburgh....what more could a man ask for in a lifetime? Now he comes out with a so called tell all book on how he really feels? Give me a ****ing break, Jerome needs to get his BIG head outta his *** and remember who made him "The Bus".....The Pittsburgh Steelers did. :cope:

BlitzburghRockCity
08-28-2007, 08:52 PM
Sounds like Jerome forgot where he came from. He retired from the NFL in a storybook fashion. Illustrious career with the Steelers, highlighted by a SB win in his hometown of Detroit. He's announcing for the NFL, opened up a restaurant in Pittsburgh....what more could a man ask for in a lifetime? Now he comes out with a so called tell all book on how he really feels? Give me a ****ing break, Jerome needs to get his BIG head outta his *** and remember who made him "The Bus".....The Pittsburgh Steelers did. :cope:

:plus1: man !

So many athletes today retire from their sport and just down the drain either financially, emotionally, or whatever. Jerome had a storybook career that ended in stellar fashion and now he's got a commentating gig, his restaurant, his charity is still going, his family, everything a guy could ask for; if you're going to write a book taking shots at the city, coaches, and teammates that made you what you were by supporting your career, buying your jerseys, paying for your autograph and all that; well it doesn't say much about what kind of person you appear to really be.

I'll always be a Bus fan, a fan of the Bus that was on the field but apparently not so much of one that is not off the field.