PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on the starters after tonight

BlitzburghRockCity
08-26-2007, 10:17 PM
* Quit turning the damn ball over, that killed us last year and we had 2 tonight in the first half by the starters.

* Ben needs to quit forcing the issue. He was 13-25 247 yds tonight so he had a good half stat wise and made some good plays, good reads, keep plays alive, etc but also forced the issue way too many times and on the first series just flat out should have taken the sack instead of throwing up that lame duck. When he takes what the D gives him, he's fine but he gets antsy still.

*Fast Willie needs to hold onto the damn ball ! I know it's preseason and all but still, the dude fumbled right on the goal line. He didn't look real good tonight over all other than the TD run and a couple nice gains.

*OL is just starting to play together so they need time but at least they got a half to work together.

* Willie Reid needs to get his head out of his ***. If this kid makes the team it needs to be as a WR because Tomlin needs to keep him off the return team. He fumbled again tonight and just looks completely confused out there trying to return kicks just like he has all preseason. He hasn't shown me anything this year yet. I'd sooner let Wilson back there. I don't want Holmes returning punts, he's a full time starter now and we need to get him all the experience we can there and not wear him out on returns or risk injury right now. I know ARE did double duty for us but Holmes needs to concentrate on WR at this point IMO.

* Kreider needs to stay, I think he cemented his roster spot tonight with solid blocking and catching the pass from Ben.

* Defense looked decent overall. They let some plays go here and there especially in the running game but overall Im ok with where they are at. Anthony Smith had a wicked hit at the goal line but Ryan Clark was bringing the wood too. Ike Taylor was all over the field and seems like he's ready to go. The pass rush got a few sacks in and was in the backfield on many occasions against the first team.

* The DB's need to quit giving such a damn cushion. I hate seeing them give 5-10 yds almost every time. It's 3rd and 3 and we're giving them 5 yds already. These guys can play bump and run so let them do it more often.

* Hines and Santonio are going to be beastly for us, both of them were playing well. Heath is money for us, the dude is just awesome. On that play in the first quarter he had like 2 guys just bounce off of him while he was catching the ball and running towards the goal line.

Overall the starters have the potential but they need to tighten things up. Get rid of the turnovers first and foremost or we're toast, plain and simple. The first quarter we played like crap with the 2 turnovers and the poor field position but in the 2nd half they played much better and got some good drives together and finished the deal with points.

Black@Gold Forever32
08-26-2007, 10:24 PM
I agree with you on so many things in that post.......The INT doesn't bug me as much for Ben.....The one throw that bugs me is when he missed Ward for a TD...If he would have just threw to Hine's back shoulder then it would have been six......You have to make that throw in my mind.....I want Ben to take the next step...He needs to start making those kind of throws and just look crisper in his drop backs period.....

I think the Oline looks like timid little bitches out there (especially Faneca)...Will they hit or block someone?lol

Willie Reid has looked retarded all pre-season returning kicks...lol

The defense had a solid night when you think about the ****** field position they were put in with turnovers and bad punting...But still to many break downs tonight....

I was just hoping for a more crisp performance before the season tonight...The starters did some good things but overall a sloppy performance in my mind....

But hey in 2005 the starting offense looked like **** the entire pre-season....We only won the Super Bowl that year....So no time to worry...

Koopa
08-26-2007, 10:28 PM
ben had a ben maddox moment in the first but overall i like what he did, he was making nice safe throws to his running backs, got heath involved, he needs to get on the same page with his wrs a little better cause he was throwing behind them.......but i like what i saw overall

willie parker is still just a fast back, he isn't a up the gut runner and that's gonna hurt us cause we have two backs that are soft........willie fumbled a couple of times last year in the redzone and then tonight, this is why he won't get goal line tds, cause it's almost like he is afraid of contact

our line sucked at times but at least ben wasn't on his *** a lot

our defense overall did good, got off the field only allowed 3 points and got some nice pressure on mcnabb.........we need to stop giving so much cusion though, i know it's the scheme of the defense but it pisses me off lol

willie reid is really letting me down, he is thinking way to much, he needs to relax and just play the game, he's trying to hard not to **** up

d-sep ****ed up once but he's a rookie and at least it's in the preseason, let him get it out of his system lol

Black@Gold Forever32
08-26-2007, 10:39 PM
I don't know I thought Ben didn't look as good as some of you claim....He could have had 2-3 picks tonight instead of that one....Plus missed Ward for a TD in the endzone....since he threw it behind him.....

I also thought the pass protection stunk....But hey that might be season long problem...So Ben and Ariens must adjust.....Have Ben taking shorter drop backs and hit quick slants to the WRs or Heath to beat the blitz....

BlitzburghRockCity
08-26-2007, 10:39 PM
Najeh looked solid tonight, I was impressed with his catching and running. He's had a better preseason overall than Willie. Yeah Willie was hurt at first and he is the starter and all but damn he just isn't showing that toughness up the middle to break tackles like he says he can do. Once the OL shapes up that will help but we've got to find somebody who finish the job on the goal line and in those short yardage situations where we just gotta have the play on a consistent basis. If that's Willie then fine, but show it already dude.

SteelerSteve
08-26-2007, 11:39 PM
The first thing I would like to point out is that, even though it wasn't the most sharp of performances we are starting to see just how talented Ben is (as if we didn't know that) Out of 13 completions he had 247 yards, damn!! he still looks like he needs to get on the same page as his wideouts but I am impressed overall this preseason. I loved how they said that Tomlin described him as a freak:lol::lol: Hines Ward also looked like the bad *** we all know he is.

Black@Gold Forever32
08-26-2007, 11:46 PM
The first thing I would like to point out is that, even though it wasn't the most sharp of performances we are starting to see just how talented Ben is (as if we didn't know that) Out of 13 completions he had 247 yards, damn!! he still looks like he needs to get on the same page as his wideouts but I am impressed overall this preseason. I loved how they said that Tomlin described him as a freak:lol::lol: Hines Ward also looked like the bad *** we all know he is.

Ok thats the frustrating part about Ben....He still seems to just get by on his talent....Yes he is very talented I agree....But he still lacks in some of the basic fundamentals that make QBs like Brady and Manning great....His drop backs are too long at times....Must improve that foot work Ben and get rid of the ball quicker especially if the Oline is going to suck *** again...Plus stop throwing behind your WRs at times....He also still made some questionable decisions out there as well.

I'm still a huge Ben fan really don't want to be to hard on the guy...But I think he has the potential to be special and I just want to see him reach that potential.......

BlackGold4vr
08-26-2007, 11:55 PM
Ben needs to make better decisions with the ball. That first interception, he shoulda ate it. Overall it was a decent performance by the starters. Philly didn't really move the ball well on our starters. Our offense looks like it will be explosive and capable of putting up quick scores and big numbers. Don't think we are still one of those teams that can't play well from behind. I see this new offense being very capable of making some late game comebacks. Then we have Willie, who is always just one missed or broken tackle away from a touchdown. No doubt we are a top ten team, can we be a top 5? We will see.......

SteelerSteve
08-26-2007, 11:56 PM
Ok thats the frustrating part about Ben....He still seems to just get by on his talent....Yes he is very talented I agree....But he still lacks in some of the basic fundamentals that make QBs like Brady and Manning great....His drop backs are too long at times....Must improve that foot work Ben and get rid of the ball quicker especially if the Oline is going to suck *** again...Plus stop throwing behind your WRs at times....He also still made some questionable decisions out there as well.

I'm still a huge Ben fan really don't want to be to hard on the guy...But I think he has the potential to be special and I just want to see him reach that potential.......
Yeah I agree, I wasn't to concerned about him getting rid of the ball quickly, he seemed to do okay with that to me, I do agree that he needs to be quicker to set up and improve on his drop backs though. He did impress me with his poise tonight though, except for his interception which could have been avoided if he had just taken the sack(He also had the ball tipped out of his hand when he through, otherwise Willie may have had a chance at it). Also from what I've heard he has been working very hard this off-season and I think it will be a break out year. He should put up monster yardage if hes given the oppurtinity to through more, I dont know the exact number but his yards per completion have to be huge. His completion percentage was just over 50% tonight but I expect that to improve.:2cents:

K Train
08-27-2007, 12:04 AM
no one speak of d-sep, i apologize on his behalf. it was his first time punting in the endzone.....and he was tryng to put it in the other endzone....its ok, i know i forgive him

william gay is the most clutch player ever

woodley is always on the field

santonio is a monster

washington......ive always been supporting him and he shined tonight with his 3 electrifying catches.......haters

ben and batch are machines

i hate kevan barlow

willie was awesome, that fumble had me hurtin though

i hate cedric wilson

willie reid- wtf?

SteelerSteve
08-27-2007, 12:08 AM
i hate cedric wilson:lol: cmon now, I think he's more than proven he can be a good no.3 wideout

K Train
08-27-2007, 12:10 AM
did you see him **** up 3 times, dropping 2? hes a joke, you dont pay a sorry piece of **** #3 that much money!!!!

Koopa
08-27-2007, 12:11 AM
william gay is the most clutch player ever

willie was awesome, that fumble had me hurtin though

it seems like it, 3 games in the preseason he has ended the game with a turnover, i guess he doesn't have to worry about finding a job

how was willie awesome?? he had one good run, only ONE.....sure he had some nice catches but so did dookie so that doesn't make it awesome

the only thing willie has going for him is the underdog story or i'd hope he dies, he will never be a feature back, he's soft too, he can't run up the middle, he can't hold on to the ball in the redzone, he fumbled down there a couple of times last year, sure he had 1200 and 1400+ yard seasons, but when it matter he can't come through for the most part, he can't play on the road, and can't get tough yards....... he was from from awesome tonight

K Train
08-27-2007, 12:15 AM
he had more than 1 nice run, he was pretty solid, he looked real good for the most part running and catching, najeh played pretty good too. The fumble sucked, but spikes really rocked him there oh well. he'll be fine, he did play well tonight especially since it was his first real playing time this year

also i forgot to add that anthony smith still hits like a truck

SteelerSteve
08-27-2007, 12:32 AM
he had more than 1 nice run, he was pretty solid, he looked real good for the most part running and catching, najeh played pretty good too. The fumble sucked, but spikes really rocked him there oh well. he'll be fine, he did play well tonight especially since it was his first real playing time this year I agree, with a guy like willie, you cant expect him to be a bruising, pick up 3-4 yards every time, what you get is a sickening fast back that can shake tackles and break a game open. To say he cant be a feature back is not a very well based opinion, sorry but I just cant agree with you there koopa:2cents:

Koopa
08-27-2007, 12:44 AM
he's been with us for what 3 years now, 2 as a full time starter....... he's had 2 good season, but he can't carry the load, he can't play on the road, and he can't get in the end zone from the 5 yard line or closer......... he is far from a feature back, he's a starter, but he isn't a guy you want carrying for more then 22 carries........... and i don't expect him to be a bruiser, but his 1 yard gains are no good, cause then we end up being 2 and 9 then 3 and ten cause he can't always get postive yardage and that puts ben in a hole trying to make up for his suckiness lol............. those long *** carries don't come often, he'll break a 15 yarder followed by 6 carries for about 8 to 10 yards

i like willie, and proably always will, cause you can't really hate a dude that came from a horrible situation in college where he never got any playing time to starting for a team that is so rich in history......

but the dude is not a feature back.......we ****ed up when we passed on a legit backup for him........and i'm talking about tony hunt, that matt speath or wtfever isn't gonna do us any good......... heath will be the main guy for us at tight end

willie will have another solid season but he will suck as usual on the road everytime, except when he plays cleveland cause for some reason they always make him look like he's god lol

K Train
08-27-2007, 12:48 AM
i wanted hunt too, i dont want to see willie carrying the entire load, BUT i think he will do a decent job, and yeah he sucked on the road last year but so did our entire team so dont look into that to much, he scored alot of TDs last year for a guy that sucks so much

Black@Gold Forever32
08-27-2007, 12:59 AM
I guess 1,494 rushing yards and 16 total TD's isn't featured back material according to some?lol No he isn't a bruiser and he has a share of 1 yard gains...

But even the Bus in his prime still had his share of 1 yards gains and he he was the ultimate bruiser....Hell Barry Sanders was stopped for negative gains at times and he was the most elusive runner in NFL history....My point even the great RBs were stopped for 1 yard and negative gains to....

I also don't think all the blame should be placed on Willie for his short comings on the road last year....In San Diego if he would have gotten the carries then he would have rushed for 100 yards in that game....He was on pace for 100 yard game.....It think at times last year the Oline also sucked *** on the road....Plus you have to think the teams didn't respect the Steelers passing game at all last year since Ben was shell shocked all year....So they focused on stopping Willie....So I think the Oline and the lack of respect for the Steelers passing game played a part in Willie's struggle on the road...

As for the pre-season this year....Willie hasn't played much and the Oline has sucked *** so far.....So get off his back...lol As for Tony Hunt I didn't know one carry made an NFL career....Before tonight Hunt hadn't looked good at all this pre-season...So lets hold off the trip to Canton, Ohio for Tony Hunt....lol

K Train
08-27-2007, 01:08 AM
i did want to draft hunt or bush.....i just did lol

TEEMONT
08-27-2007, 01:22 AM
Well, Ben looked average, mainly b/c he is average. I guess all that time he had this off-season was spent doing celebrity **** instead of meeting with his WR's and working on timing. The guy just doesn't care, and he is proving it. He got lucky Heath caught that one ball, and there were at least 3 blown INT's.

Willie is going to be fine IMO. The line still isn't doing much for him, and it wouldn't matter if we had LT back there, if your line does'nt open a hole, your back won't get yards. I thought Willie looked ok catching the ball. I think he finished wil 3-4 catches for like 40 yards, nothing wrong with that.

The D looked pretty good as usual, with Troy flying all over the damn place, and Anthony Smith absolutely laid the wood on that white boy at the goal line.

SteelersWoman
08-27-2007, 05:03 AM
It's too late for me right now to go into ALL my thoughts on the game (I may update this post later today) but for right now, I'll just say that [IMO] we played at least 65% better in this game than we did in our last 2 games.

ARKIESTEEL
08-27-2007, 07:07 AM
I thought they looked fine........I dont think we have any reason to let Parker carry from the one. Ben looked pretty good Dookie ran the ball hard and even Action Dan had a big catch and run. The d played pretty good I think the gave up a little too much on the run but it was a pretty decent job.

We will improve and I dont think Mad man Mike has shown all his cards yet:bigthumb:

GoBenGo
08-27-2007, 11:09 AM
Washington looked great, gave 110%
D_sep! Ugh, follow up with the 35 yarder on the next punt didn't help! Michaels jinxed him by talking him up prior to that kick.

------------------------------------------------------------
[AutoMerged Post Below]
------------------------------------------------------------
Little mistakes here and there are gonna happen. I am just glad they are happeniing in Pre Season!
I came away feeling real good about this year. Willie made people miss, the line got him into the secondary, the rythm was working, and Ben made plays.

Prosdo
08-27-2007, 11:14 AM
Ben Roethlisberger - Needs to learn to throw the ball away or take the sack sometimes. He did have a nice second quarter.
Willie Reid - Absolutely disappointing. He has needed to step up and hasnt.
Nate Washington - Finally stepped up and looked good.
Willie Parker - Needs to hold onto the ball especially in the redzone. Hasnt proven he can run up the gut.
Najeh Davenport - Had some nice runs.
D-Sep - Had an off nice, but he is a rookie.
Jeff Reed - Really makes me nervous and just doesnt seem as solid as he use to.
DBs - I did not like the 5 yard cushions they were giving.
Defense - overall did look good.

digdug
08-27-2007, 11:19 AM
I just wish we could transplant Charlie's brain into Ben's body.

D gave up a little too much in the run game and gave up the 10 yd. cushion on the pass.

Special Teams worries me - not as much on covering as last year - but the return game makes me bite my nails every time.

:tt02::tt02:

Stlrs4Life
08-27-2007, 11:20 AM
Totally agree Top Gun. Overall, I liked what I seen last night. Kreider proved last night even more how much we need him.

AZ_Steeler
08-27-2007, 12:01 PM
IMO Batch showed up Big Ben last night! Ben had a lot of yards, but that INT was uncalled for, tuck the ball and take a sack! Ben also had way to many dead ducks and it looked like he was trying put to much touch on the ball. Ben has his moments where he looks great but there are times when he just has me shaking my head because he doesn't look comfortable at all!

This was the first time I really got to see D-Sup and his first punt sucked!!! Reminded me of Josh Miller :)

Turnovers are continuing to be the back breaker for the Steelers. One on an opening drive, one when going in for 6, Reid muffed another punt and called for a fair catch on the 5 for another (luckily there was a penalty)... the Steelers should have put up 40 points, EASILY!

Deshea needs to get up on the line and cover somebody! He like to play off 15 yards and give the WR that huge cushion. So what does the WR do... he runs down 8-10 yards and turns around to catch the ball! Cover somebody damnit!!!

On a scale of 1-10 I would give them a 5.5!

K Train
08-27-2007, 03:25 PM
you all take preseaon way to seriously lol, the only thing that would really bother me is willie reid, i think all he needs is a confidence booster, hes making mental mistakes and muffing that one didnt help him.

Ambridge
08-27-2007, 04:41 PM
A nice 20yd shank by Sepulveda.......this guy better start booming the ball.

Willie Parker fumbling at the end zone-trying to go into the line standing up??
Hey Willie!! You tried that last year in the season finale against Cincy and got the same result.

Ben still trying to improvise plays when the smart thing to do is just throw the ball away or eat it.

Willie Reid cannot return kicks IMO. He needs to go.

Al Michaels mentioning Verron Haynes in the mix to make the roster last night made nauseated.

Mike Tomlin
08-27-2007, 05:07 PM
you all take preseaon way to seriously lol, the only thing that would really bother me is willie reid, i think all he needs is a confidence booster, hes making mental mistakes and muffing that one didnt help him.
Exactly! Preseason just brings out what your team and certain players need to do to prepare for the regular season,:2cents:

K Train
08-27-2007, 06:25 PM
A nice 20yd shank by Sepulveda.......this guy better start booming the ball.

ok dude seriously, start? hes been amazing all camp and preseason and after one bad kick he needs to get his head out of his ***? he way over kicked, he was really backed up and was aiming for the other endzone.....not that big of a deal.....

also, you all will see things alot better on sept 9th trust me, no teams look great during preseason.....that actually why we have it

Ambridge
08-28-2007, 05:18 PM
ok dude seriously, start? hes been amazing all camp and preseason and after one bad kick he needs to get his head out of his ***? he way over kicked, he was really backed up and was aiming for the other endzone.....not that big of a deal.....

This is coming from someone with a Sepulveda Sig/Shrine??:greengrin::redcool:

K Train
08-28-2007, 06:06 PM
dude.....rookie of the year

Ambridge
08-28-2007, 08:12 PM
dude.....rookie of the year

I will ship you a 6 pack of your favorite beer if that happens.....no joke!!
:cope: