PDA

View Full Version : From both sides of the Vick trial

Mike Tomlin
08-26-2007, 01:27 PM
First off I am a black man and I am from the south (Mississippi). Dog fighting is normal in the south but not every black man agrees with it. I love animals and I personally don't see how Vick did what he did. At the same time if any of you have ever seen a dog fight then then you know why he did it. In Idaho and Wyoming dog fighting isn't reeally that big of a crime and there's barely any black people there. I think Vick should be punished for what he did but they basically threw him under the bus for a crime against animals, when men are being broadcast on NBC(AFTER 12 midnight:scratch:) attempting to have sex with 12 and 13 year old boys and girls. These guys are guilty hands down, but yet theres no public out cry for these children. Most times these guys go free some our arrested.
My point is I see Vick on every channel damn near every day but yet theirs nothing being said about these grown mean trying to have sex with these children. We've had congressmen, NICKELODEON people, special ed teachers, High religious figures. ....etc. to be caught having sex with children, still no out rage from the public. Are these dogs more important than our children. Again I do think Vick deserves to be punished , but at the same time people are doing things that are way worse are just being slapped on the wrist. Todays society's priorities are f***** up.

Ibleedblk&gld
08-26-2007, 01:35 PM
ok let me touch basis on this...first of all, race doesn't play any part in this...the fact is that Vick committed a FEDERAL OFFENSE. Dog fighting is illegal and so is cruelty to animals...he admitted to killing dogs as well. He represents the NFL and the Atlanta Falcons organization, so w/ that being said, the punishment the NFL gave him is suitable, and lets not forget that back in april he told the commissioner that he did not take part in any kind of dog fighting, so right there, he lied to the commissioners face. 12-18mos. in prison is bullshit, he deserves a lot more since it was a federal offense.

Mike Tomlin
08-26-2007, 01:38 PM
ok let me touch basis on this...first of all, race doesn't play any part in this...the fact is that Vick committed a FEDERAL OFFENSE. Dog fighting is illegal and so is cruelty to animals...he admitted to killing dogs as well. He represents the NFL and the Atlanta Falcons organization, so w/ that being said, the punishment the NFL gave him is suitable, and lets not forget that back in april he told the commissioner that he did not take part in any kind of dog fighting, so right there, he lied to the commissioners face. 12-18mos. in prison is bullshiat, he deserves a lot more since it was a federal offense. I'm not even talking about football that's the problem everybody talking about football. It is becoming a race issue because people are saying that in the black community it is acceptable and it isn't. I also noticed you didn't touch base on the other things that were said in that post.:dunno: I guess since having sex with young kids isn't a fed offense so it's ok? Oh my bad they didn't lie to the comissioner or they don't play for the falcons and kill dogs so it's cool. Again......Society + Priorities = ****ed up!

StlersGuy
08-26-2007, 03:30 PM
I wish this whole Vick thing would get over with,I am so sick of hearing about it 24/7

Hburg
08-26-2007, 03:38 PM
First off I am a black man and I am from the south (Mississippi). Dog fighting is normal in the south but not every black man agrees with it. I love animals and I personally don't see how Vick did what he did. At the same time if any of you have ever seen a dog fight then then you know why he did it. In Idaho and Wyoming dog fighting isn't reeally that big of a crime and there's barely any black people there. I think Vick should be punished for what he did but they basically threw him under the bus for a crime against animals, when men are being broadcast on NBC(AFTER 12 midnight:scratch:) attempting to have sex with 12 and 13 year old boys and girls. These guys are guilty hands down, but yet theres no public out cry for these children. Most times these guys go free some our arrested.
My point is I see Vick on every channel damn near every day but yet theirs nothing being said about these grown mean trying to have sex with these children. We've had congressmen, NICKELODEON people, special ed teachers, High religious figures. ....etc. to be caught having sex with children, still no out rage from the public. Are these dogs more important than our children. Again I do think Vick deserves to be punished , but at the same time people are doing things that are way worse are just being slapped on the wrist. Todays society's priorities are f***** up.

I'm not even talking about football that's the problem everybody talking about football. It is becoming a race issue because people are saying that in the black community it is acceptable and it isn't. I also noticed you didn't touch base on the other things that were said in that post.:dunno: I guess since having sex with young kids isn't a fed offense so it's ok? Oh my bad they didn't lie to the comissioner or they don't play for the falcons and kill dogs so it's cool. Again......Society + Priorities = ****ed up!

I'm feeling what you saying man. I've never been a huge supporter of Vick and I do believe he should do time for being involved. But at the same time he was thrown under the bus and the way he is treated and regarded is that of a much more perverse and deviant criminal than if it was say.....Peyton Manning or Tom Brady involved in dogfighting. At the same time, if it was Daunte Culpepper or Donovan McNabb, they would receive the same treatment. Also, although it is a crime to kill dogs or mistreat animals in this country it has come to a point where we are losing perspective on proper treatment and protection of humanity (ie: from child predators).

ok let me touch basis on this...first of all, race doesn't play any part in this...the fact is that Vick committed a FEDERAL OFFENSE. Dog fighting is illegal and so is cruelty to animals...he admitted to killing dogs as well. He represents the NFL and the Atlanta Falcons organization, so w/ that being said, the punishment the NFL gave him is suitable, and lets not forget that back in april he told the commissioner that he did not take part in any kind of dog fighting, so right there, he lied to the commissioners face. 12-18mos. in prison is bullshiat, he deserves a lot more since it was a federal offense.

The racial issue is not so much this time how the judicial system is handling his case, but how he is being portrayed by the media to the rest of the world that brings about the controversial racial issues. It has been now portrayed that dog fighting is solely an activity of the black communities in this country, which then further strains the racial tensions of this country. Vick has become the scapegoat for the takedown of the so-called, "deviant, and criminal," behavior of the various black communities in our country.

I don't support Vick. My personal beliefs are that he (and his brother) have never been very smart about how they have handled themselves, on and off the field, in the public and private sectors. That belief is only further supported by the way Vick has so far handled himself during this indictment. Even so, he is being made out to be a scapegoat, and soon a snitch. Until Vick will become ostracized, villianized, and exploited to the point where he has no more supporters or even friends. Vick did make the mistake of lying to the commissioner, but at this point he has not admitted to personally killing any animal. At most he has admitted to being present during those actions but that is only then involvement to the 3rd degree. He is responsible for not preventing those actions but not the committing of the actions themselves. His biggest risk is the conviction of involvement in gambling across state lines.

Personally I hope this might humble Vick and the public will allow him a second chance if he does come out of this more mature, wiser, and smarter. He could still play in the NFL (I'm not saying he will be a super bowl MVP).

BuFu

BlitzburghNation
08-26-2007, 03:53 PM
Vick is all over the news because he's a high profile athlete :popcorn:
If he's done those other crimes,,,,,,Would be just a big as it is now !

Of-course we all know Murder,Messing with kids,rape ,,,,,,etc is much worse!

Far as comparing crimes,,,,,,,,:scratch:
Crime is crime "what he did was wrong as hell" Sick of people calling in on sirius & trying to compare crimes,,, :cursin:

Not a race issue at all,,,,,,,,,,,But people are trying to play that card !
Imagine if this were peyton manning,,,,,It would be no different,,,,,,,
It's the big name that's drawing all the attention :popcorn:

I just hope the :moon: hole, gets what he's earned !

Mike Tomlin
08-26-2007, 04:07 PM
I'm feeling what you saying man. I've never been a huge supporter of Vick and I do believe he should do time for being involved. But at the same time he was thrown under the bus and the way he is treated and regarded is that of a much more perverse and deviant criminal than if it was say.....Peyton Manning or Tom Brady involved in dogfighting. At the same time, if it was Daunte Culpepper or Donovan McNabb, they would receive the same treatment. Also, although it is a crime to kill dogs or mistreat animals in this country it has come to a point where we are losing perspective on proper treatment and protection of humanity (ie: from child predators).
Let's say that was Peyton and they said that it's acceptable in the white community that would still be wrong when I don't think it's accepted in any community. I just feel like there's a lot more threatening issues to deal with than Vick. Ask Jessica Lungfords family what they feel about it. I bet everytime they see that show on Dateline it probably gets them upset and there right for feeling that way. The media and public is spending so much time on Vick that their not protesting that we have sexual predators living right next to schools and daycares. That's not the only issue , what about the fact that they found thousands of Fema trailers in fields in Arkansas but people are still homeless waiting on them.:dunno:

------------------------------------------------------------
[AutoMerged Post Below]
------------------------------------------------------------

Vick is all over the news because he's a high profile athlete :popcorn:
If he's done those other crimes,,,,,,Would be just a big as it is now !

Of-course we all know Murder,Messing with kids,rape ,,,,,,etc is much worse!

Far as comparing crimes,,,,,,,,:scratch:
Crime is crime "what he did was wrong as hell" Sick of people calling in on sirius & trying to compare crimes,,, :cursin:

Not a race issue at all,,,,,,,,,,,But people are trying to play that card !
Imagine if this were peyton manning,,,,,It would be no different,,,,,,,
It's the big name that's drawing all the attention :popcorn:

I just hope the :moon: hole, gets what he's earned !

The media is making it into a race thing. Race had nothing to do with Vick killing those dogs, it was stupidity. My point is since he's a high profile athlete that his crime should be portayed worst than others? It's amazing that there are no protest about our kids. You look ate pitbulls you know how many kids these dogs have killed.They even advise you to not have one as a pet. That's the sole reason that they use pitbulls for dog fighting, those animals are very dangerous.. THEIR ANIMALS sure they don't desrve to die but the uproar about this compared to the other crimes is just Foolish! Ok.. what was said about about those crimes before Vick none had the time of uproar as this.

KSSteelerfan
08-26-2007, 07:04 PM
ok let me touch basis on this...first of all, race doesn't play any part in this...the fact is that Vick committed a FEDERAL OFFENSE. Dog fighting is illegal and so is cruelty to animals...he admitted to killing dogs as well. He represents the NFL and the Atlanta Falcons organization, so w/ that being said, the punishment the NFL gave him is suitable, and lets not forget that back in april he told the commissioner that he did not take part in any kind of dog fighting, so right there, he lied to the commissioners face. 12-18mos. in prison is bullshiat, he deserves a lot more since it was a federal offense.

He not only lied to the commish but he also lied to the owner of the team.:nono:

Steelerlyn
08-26-2007, 08:03 PM
Anyone who thinks that this is a race issue completely misses the entire concept of probably a few things. Vick obviously had no upbringing (nor did his brother). Michael Vick had a 2 million dollar a year income and the world by the *** but he is too into himself to realize that lying and committing illegal acts will not be tolerated, nor should they be.
In a very small way athletes who come into millions of dollars almost overnight are to be pitied and I say that meaning that all of their life starting in jr high school and many times in elementary school (when your basic values and knowing right from wrong are formed); Kids like Vick are told how great they are, how far they are going to go. They are told this by school coaches, school administrators, parents, relatives and of course their homies (or friends) Noone (meaning adults) bothers to think..........this kid needs to learn the values of life, he needs to know that not everything he does, is right......he needs to know that maybe he won't like the guy working next to him and maybe just maybe he needs to UNDERSTAND how to treat people AND animals properly. What most of these adults are thinking is "WOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOO, I wanna stay on his good side because some day he is gonna be something and I want a piece of that pie. (like Vick's homies did).

I proudly admit that I am a dog lover......all dogs and I have been around many pit bulls........pit bulls that are raised by loving, caring and compassionate people and guess what? The pit bulls I know are gentle. A Pit bull or a collie or a beagle or any breed of dog can be raised to be mean. Like a person, it is how a dog is raised that determines the outcome of their nature.

I hope they hang all of them by their b@@ls. But they won't, Vick will get a light sentence although it will be the worst of the rest because he was the last to come clean.........because he is a coward. Anyone who treats an animal as he has admited to is nothing more than a shallow, sick bas@@rd.

We have alot of social injustices that we need to come to terms with and in this case we are talking about dogfighting. It doesn't matter what color a person is, it is WRONG. taking a dependent animal and being cruel, only a really sick SOB would even think of such a thing!

StlersGuy
08-26-2007, 08:11 PM
Anyone who thinks that this is a race issue completely misses the entire concept of probably a few things. Vick obviously had no upbringing (nor did his brother). Michael Vick had a 2 million dollar a year income and the world by the *** but he is too into himself to realize that lying and committing illegal acts will not be tolerated, nor should they be.
In a very small way athletes who come into millions of dollars almost overnight are to be pitied and I say that meaning that all of their life starting in jr high school and many times in elementary school (when your basic values and knowing right from wrong are formed); Kids like Vick are told how great they are, how far they are going to go. They are told this by school coaches, school administrators, parents, relatives and of course their homies (or friends) Noone (meaning adults) bothers to think..........this kid needs to learn the values of life, he needs to know that not everything he does, is right......he needs to know that maybe he won't like the guy working next to him and maybe just maybe he needs to UNDERSTAND how to treat people AND animals properly. What most of these adults are thinking is "WOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOO, I wanna stay on his good side because some day he is gonna be something and I want a piece of that pie. (like Vick's homies did).

I proudly admit that I am a dog lover......all dogs and I have been around many pit bulls........pit bulls that are raised by loving, caring and compassionate people and guess what? The pit bulls I know are gentle. A Pit bull or a collie or a beagle or any breed of dog can be raised to be mean. Like a person, it is how a dog is raised that determines the outcome of their nature.

I hope they hang all of them by their b@@ls. But they won't, Vick will get a light sentence although it will be the worst of the rest because he was the last to come clean.........because he is a coward. Anyone who treats an animal as he has admited to is nothing more than a shallow, sick bas@@rd.

We have alot of social injustices that we need to come to terms with and in this case we are talking about dogfighting. It doesn't matter what color a person is, it is WRONG. taking a dependent animal and being cruel, only a really sick SOB would even think of such a thing!

well said :bigthumb:

Mike Tomlin
08-26-2007, 08:31 PM
Again it's not a race issue but it's turning into one. I knew of a pibull that was loving gentle even had pictures around the hous with the dog playing with kids. Yet the pitbull attacked a 2 year old in their garage and tore him apart. That dog was treated like a human damn near , it lived in the house and never mistreated. Their has been plenty of people who had their dogs attack and don't know why.Hell it's even been been proven no matter how you raise dogs they still are liable to attack. Still again I say yes I agree Vick is guilty and should be punished. Only one person on here has even got the point , what about all the other things that were posted, no answer? It's not that i'm defending Vick but there are a lot more crimes that are way worse going on here and I feel their being over looked because of the people involved. Yet Vick killed fought pitbulls and he's the Devil. There has been plenty of high profile (yes higher that football)people in way worst crimes that just slide through and that's what makes it not right. Let see what crime comes after this Vick case and see how many crusaders for the good cause we'll see then. I tell you that 15 minutes of fame is motha lol!

SteelerSteve
08-27-2007, 01:25 AM
I can see where all of you guys are coming from. First off, I haven't heard of this issue being based on race, and to be honest I really havent seen that it is becoming one, I know a lot of people on here are dog lovers, so am I, but I think this is being made into a bigger deal than it should, at least it has been drawn out alot more than it should have been. Vick was involved in illegall dogfighting activities, a federal offense, but I would hardly put that on the level of murder or rape, or child molestation.
I also think that if any type of dogs are raised right, they can be loving family pets, but there are some dogs you shouldn't leave your children unattended with. Dogs live based on their instincts, one of their instincts is to protect their owners, unfortunatley some dogs also have the instinct to kill, whether its other animals or children.:2cents:

BlacknGold Bleeder
08-27-2007, 01:55 AM
I believe that the Federal offense that was violated was the gambling part of everything. As far as I know dogfighting is is just a misdemeanor. The race card is being played by the media and the NAACP making a fuss about how Vick is being picked on. Granted there are much more heinous crimes but, bottom line is crime is crime. If you can't do the time don't do the crime !!

Steelerlyn
08-27-2007, 01:57 AM
I can see where all of you guys are coming from. First off, I haven't heard of this issue being based on race, and to be honest I really havent seen that it is becoming one, I know a lot of people on here are dog lovers, so am I, but I think this is being made into a bigger deal than it should, at least it has been drawn out alot more than it should have been. Vick was involved in illegall dogfighting activities, a federal offense, but I would hardly put that on the level of murder or rape, or child molestation.
I also think that if any type of dogs are raised right, they can be loving family pets, but there are some dogs you shouldn't leave your children unattended with. Dogs live based on their instincts, one of their instincts is to protect their owners, unfortunatley some dogs also have the instinct to kill, whether its other animals or children.:2cents:

It's essential to understand that almost any dog will bite under the right circumstances. Second, a dog is a dog, an animal whose behavior isn't the same as humans and can't always be predicted with 100 percent accuracy, no matter how friendly or reliable he is. Obedience training and socialization are absolute musts for a dog who'll be spending time with children. Remember that a dog will act according to his instincts if he doesn't receive proper training or if that training isn't kept up through regular practice. The dog needs to be taught to obey commands under all conditions no matter how distracting. Just as responding to the command to "come" could save the dog's life someday, an immediate response to the command "leave it!" could save a child from serious injury.

Just as children need to be taught how to be well-behaved around other people, they need to be taught to be well-behaved and respectful around animals. They need to learn what kinds of games are appropriate, how to touch the dog properly, how to interpret the dog's body language and when the dog is not to be disturbed. When they're old enough to understand, kids should be involved in the training process. They should learn to give the dog commands and be able to enforce them.

Melissa (my gd) was 2 years old, Terry, Sissa and I were having Colonel Sanders. Sissa and I had finished and I was cleaning up the kitchen. Terry was still eating and feeding our dog some chickie. Sissa reached out to pet our dog, a well trained beagle, who had been through 3 obedience classes, level 1, 2 & 3, growled and then lit into her face and bit her in the eyebrow area.

Lots of blood and long story short, ANY dog is very capable of biting a child, therefore young children should NEVER be left in a room with a dog, no matter how sweet a nature that dog has always displayed. A dog is still an animal.

Ours is only one of many sad stories, although ours did have a happy ending, and I now know it is because even with all the training talk I didn't learn that dogs can and will maime, and sometimes for no explanable reason. I left our dog alone in a room with Sissa all the time, I knew my dog was the sweetest thing on earth and she would never even think of harming anyone...........my mistake was thinking my dog had reasoning power

SteelerSteve
08-27-2007, 02:03 AM
It's essential to understand that almost any dog will bite under the right circumstances. Second, a dog is a dog, an animal whose behavior isn't the same as humans and can't always be predicted with 100 percent accuracy, no matter how friendly or reliable he is. Obedience training and socialization are absolute musts for a dog who'll be spending time with children. Remember that a dog will act according to his instincts if he doesn't receive proper training or if that training isn't kept up through regular practice. The dog needs to be taught to obey commands under all conditions no matter how distracting. Just as responding to the command to "come" could save the dog's life someday, an immediate response to the command "leave it!" could save a child from serious injury.

Just as children need to be taught how to be well-behaved around other people, they need to be taught to be well-behaved and respectful around animals. They need to learn what kinds of games are appropriate, how to touch the dog properly, how to interpret the dog's body language and when the dog is not to be disturbed. When they're old enough to understand, kids should be involved in the training process. They should learn to give the dog commands and be able to enforce them.

Melissa (my gd) was 2 years old, Terry, Sissa and I were having Colonel Sanders. Sissa and I had finished and I was cleaning up the kitchen. Terry was still eating and feeding our dog some chickie. Sissa reached out to pet our dog, a well trained beagle, who had been through 3 obedience classes, level 1, 2 & 3, growled and then lit into her face and bit her in the eyebrow area.

Lots of blood and long story short, ANY dog is very capable of biting a child, therefore young children should NEVER be left in a room with a dog, no matter how sweet a nature that dog has always displayed. A dog is still an animal.

Ours is only one of many sad stories, although ours did have a happy ending, and I now know it is because even with all the training talk I didn't learn that dogs can and will maime, and sometimes for no explanable reason. I left our dog alone in a room with Sissa all the time, I knew my dog was the sweetest thing on earth and she would never even think of harming anyone...........my mistake was thinking my dog had reasoning power I agree and most dogs will not attack unless provoked, but you cant expect a little kid to leave a dog alone, little kids love animals and are bound to touch and poke at them.

Mike Tomlin
08-27-2007, 01:54 PM
I also think that if any type of dogs are raised right, they can be loving family pets, but there are some dogs you shouldn't leave your children unattended with. Dogs live based on their instincts, one of their instincts is to protect their owners, unfortunatley some dogs also have the instinct to kill, whether its other animals or children.:2cents: Exactly! I can't remember an uproar about anything as big as this since O.J. and we all knew he was guilty. That's pretty bad to say that Vick was charged with dogfighting.

StlersGuy
08-27-2007, 04:07 PM
Exactly! I can't remember an uproar about anything as big as this since O.J. and we all knew he was guilty. That's pretty bad to say that Vick was charged with dogfighting.

I cant wait for peta to get a hold of him

Mike Tomlin
08-27-2007, 05:07 PM
I cant wait for peta to get a hold of him

There were more supporters than Peta protesters today at the courthouse.