PDA

View Full Version : Mahan, Colon to start 'telltale' game against Eagles

BlitzburghRockCity
08-25-2007, 06:17 AM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07237/812043-66.stm

Saturday, August 25, 2007
By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
One day after Max Starks got a turn with the first-team offense, Willie Colon was back at the position and anointed the starter at right tackle for the preseason game tomorrow night against the Philadelphia Eagles at Heinz Field.

Coach Mike Tomlin said center Sean Mahan also will start against the Eagles, the third game in a row he has worked with the first-team offense and another indication he has won the job from Chukky Okobi.

Asked if the game will serve as a telltale for the starter at right tackle, Tomlin said, "It's a telltale game for a lot of positions, but, yes, right tackle is one of them."

This will be the third consecutive start for Colon, a fourth-round draft pick in 2006. He is expected to play most, if not all, of the first half with the other starters, though Starks will be rotated into the game at right tackle.

"As you will see, there will be guys rolling in and competing," Tomlin said. "We want to make sure all those guys we talk about have an opportunity to show what they're capable of."

Some definite plans

Tomlin said quarterback Ben Roethlisberger and the first-team offense will play the first half against the Eagles. Charlie Batch will replace Roethlisberger in the third quarter, but Tomlin said he likely won't play long and will give way to Brian St. Pierre and Bryan Randall.

Tomlin would like to get more carries for running back Willie Parker, who had just four rushing attempts against the Washington Redskins last week.

"Our tentative schedule is to play them a half, but we'll play it by ear," Tomlin said.

"Based on how things play out, plans do change."

Different routine

Because he had a full week on the South Side to prepare for a Sunday game, Tomlin said he used the time to simulate a regular week of practice and also did some game-planning for the Eagles. That's something teams rarely do in the preseason.

"Quite a bit more than we've done for the preseason," Tomlin said. "You got to make decisions along those lines when you're installing and zeroing in on an opponent ... giving guys things they've been working on to see how they are making plays."

Injury update

Tight end Jerame Tuman did not practice again and will not play against the Eagles. Same with defensive end Derek Jones, whom Tomlin said had a setback with a calf injury.

"He's getting close [to returning], but not close enough," Tomlin said of Tuman.

Because they will have only two of their regular tight ends available, the Steelers will use a lot of two-back sets with fullbacks Dan Kreider, Carey Davis and John Kuhn.

"There is a plan, but we're going to let this thing play out," Tomlin said. "We'll continue to watch Dan at fullback, Carey Davis at fullback, John Kuhn at fullback and watch them sort themselves out."

The past hurts
Cornerback Deshea Townsend put an emphatic end to the so-called competition with Bryant McFadden at right cornerback with a strong performance against the Redskins

Townsend, who enters his 10th NFL season, said he still remembers the plays he did not make last season, such as the winning touchdown pass to tight end Antonio Gates in a loss in San Diego -- plays in which he was in the right position but failed to break up the pass.

"You remember all those, all of them hurt," Townsend said. "Anytime they caught a pass, a touchdown, you never want it to happen. But every year when you come to camp it makes you do things that make you a better player."

Even though the plays still sting, Townsend said he would rather be in the right position and fail to make the play than be out of position and blow an assignment.

"You never want to blow an assignment because that's showing you're not mentally prepared. Players are going to make plays because that's their job to make plays. I would, by far, rather be right there and not make it than blow an assignment because that shows I don't care about the defense.

"As long as you're giving great effort ... If you're not out there doing what you're supposed to be doing or being where you're supposed to be, that's slapping the coordinator in the face and the team."

Im glad to see Ben and the first group playing the first half, they need it especially the OL getting valuable game experience working together. I wouldn't mind seeing them play the first series of the 2nd half too, just to get in the mindset of coming out strong after halftime. You know they won't play long next week so this is a big game for everyone.

When Mahan was brought in with that big payday, IMO he was penciled in to start at Center. He wasn't given the job he had to fight for it but he must have done just alittle more than Okobi who I was really thinking would step up and seize this chance to take the reigns of the OL but for whatever reason he didn't quite do it yet.

I still think it's only a matter of time before McFadden gets the starting job this year. Deshea 2 years ago was our best CB then struggled last year with the rest of the defense and hell the whole team. If he continues to come out strong he'll keep the job but if he starts to falter McFadden will slide right in there and take that position and I'd bet money it'll be by mid season this year that McFadden takes that job and runs with it. I don't know, just a hunch.

TEEMONT
08-25-2007, 09:22 AM
I am pretty excited to see what the starters can do in the first half. I actually haven't read too much on Ben since the start of camp, and I am taking that as a good sign. Willie definitely needs to get at least 10-12 carries tomorrow, just to knock the rust off. I'd also like to see him have about 3 passes thrown his way, and not all on screens.

McFadden obviously is not impressing too much in camp, b/c if he was this job wouldn't even be up for discussion. He needs to step up and take the job away from Deshea. I like Deshea and all, but he just doesn't have what it takes, and his quote about how he would rather be in the right place and not make the play just comes off as terrible to me. I mean it's great to be mentally prepared and whatnot, but if you don't have the pysical tools to make the play WHEN YOU ARE IN THE RIGHT POSITION, maybe it's time for you to be a nickel back.

Prosdo
08-25-2007, 09:38 AM
I agree Teemont. It will be nice to see what the first team looks like for a whole half. Willie definitely needs to get more carries then he has been. As for McFadden I don't understand how he has not taken the job from Deshea. Yes, Deshea is the vet but McFadden looked extremely promising and seemed like he basically had Deshea's job.

BlitzburghNation
08-25-2007, 12:07 PM
Like everyone else,,,,,,,,,Really looking forward to seeing our starters !

I'll have to listen to it on Sirius~~~~~ :cursin::banging::cursin:

:pray: ~~~~ing No-one gets hurt------- :crossfingers:

GoBenGo
08-25-2007, 12:16 PM
It will be good to see first team O work a whole half, and get into rythm. Eagles have looked pretty soft so far, haven't been bringing it. Should be a good opportunity to get right!

Cool Avatar Pros ! Snell went to school here in Dover, He is the main reason I started watchin the Bucco's again!!!

------------------------------------------------------------
[AutoMerged Post Below]
------------------------------------------------------------
All in all I would like to see no injuries

Prosdo
08-25-2007, 12:21 PM
Cool Avatar Pros ! Snell went to school here in Dover, He is the main reason I started watchin the Bucco's again!!!

JB 67
08-25-2007, 12:58 PM
I'm anxious to see Willie back on the field also wanna get some more looks at Timmons

GoBenGo
08-25-2007, 01:28 PM
I am anxiuos to see plan for the tight ends. Using them correctly can really open the vertical game, and the ground game. Roll the play action! When that is clicking the big Black and gold Machine is unstoppable.
Ben will be able to manage the game for the entire half, hoping for him to get into a groove by 13:00 to go in the first quarter!

digdug
08-25-2007, 02:35 PM
I am pretty excited to see what the starters can do in the first half. I actually haven't read too much on Ben since the start of camp, and I am taking that as a good sign. Willie definitely needs to get at least 10-12 carries tomorrow, just to knock the rust off. I'd also like to see him have about 3 passes thrown his way, and not all on screens.

McFadden obviously is not impressing too much in camp, b/c if he was this job wouldn't even be up for discussion. He needs to step up and take the job away from Deshea. I like Deshea and all, but he just doesn't have what it takes, and his quote about how he would rather be in the right place and not make the play just comes off as terrible to me. I mean it's great to be mentally prepared and whatnot, but if you don't have the pysical tools to make the play WHEN YOU ARE IN THE RIGHT POSITION, maybe it's time for you to be a nickel back.

:ditto: :clap: you said it perfectly! :tt02: :helmet:

Mike Tomlin
08-25-2007, 02:47 PM
I like what Deshea said and he was right. I would rather the player be in position and have a great play maker beat him instead of having a blown assignment. That touchdown before halftime when Deshea was beat on that fade route, 95% of the corners in the league would have been beat on that play. Deshea was in great position the other receiver had wayyyyy more height and he barely got it. It was just a great play. Antonio Gates is a pro bowler, who the hell is the guy that was roasting Mcfads *** for the Redskins? I like McFadden but right now he's not a better corner that Deshea, physically yes, field IQ and reaction no. I think he's going to be great but Tomlins right.

GoBenGo
08-25-2007, 03:19 PM
:crossfingers:Ben seems to have had a quiet (although productive)camp. I agree that this is probably a very good sign. Definitely not last year! What little game work he has gotten, he has looked very good. Sharp, not indecisive. IMO he will emerge as an even bigger leader this year.
I have a great feeling for this year:crossfingers:
Big 7 in '07!:tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02:

K Train
08-25-2007, 10:12 PM
dont read into this to much, mcfadden and smith are the future, they will play plenty, even if they arent deemed starters

Mike Tomlin
08-25-2007, 10:17 PM
dont read into this to much, mcfadden and smith are the future, they will play plenty, even if they arent deemed starters

That's what I say. Look at the talent that we have at those positions. That gives Lebeau so many tools to use. I'm glad we comp in damn near every position on defense. Trust you'll see Smith in the Quarter and McFadden in nickel.

Steel-Da-One
08-25-2007, 10:18 PM
this is as close as we are going to come to a regular season game simulation during the preseason with the game planning. i really hope the oline plays better this week.