PDA

View Full Version : Cowher Reflects On Years Coaching In Pittsburgh

AZ_Steeler
08-23-2007, 03:18 AM
Link to story... (http://kdka.com/steelers/local_story_234203755.html)

KDKA) NEW YORK After more than 30 years as a player and coach, Bill Cowher is not part of a football team but is preparing for a new profession – broadcasting.

The 7th floor of CBS headquarters in New York is far from the practice fields of Latrobe and the South Side, but it’s exactly where Cowher says he wants to be at this point in his life.

In fact, life after the Steelers began creeping into his mind as early as 2002 when he began taking a year-to-year approach to his coaching career.

“You get in one place for as long a period of time as I was there, at some point you’re either going to do it or you’re not going to do it,” Cowher said. “And so I started taking it one year at a time and I seriously took that approach. And so, having said that, when you start talking in terms of one year at a time, .. I think obviously from that standpoint you sit back every year and make sure that you’re willing to throw everything into it, what it encompasses.”

And that means opening yourself up to second-guessing as Cowher did in Week 2 of last season. After back-up QB Charlie Batch led the Steelers to a win in the season opener, Cowher decided to start Ben Roethlisberger. Immediately the decision was called into question with Roethlisberger only weeks removed from an appendectomy and a near-fatal accident a few months earlier.

“It wasn’t really so much an indictment on Charlie as much as it was just trying to get him back in the saddle and I knew that the only way to do that was to get him to be able to play through it,” Cowher says. “I don’t question bringing him back too soon, the only question I have in my mind is maybe the way Charlie had played the week before, maybe we should have waited a week.”

Those tough decisions are part of the job for an NFL head coach, but in football-crazy towns like Pittsburgh, it’s impossible to leave your work at the office. Many times Cowher’s job would follow his wife Kaye and their daughters in their day-to-day lives.

“And there’s no question that it was a lot harder on them on losses and tough years because they were dealing out in the public where we’re more isolated because we just go to work everyday and we work seven days a week in that building where our families are out in the public and they have to deal with all the scrutiny.”

However, Cowher says it wasn’t always difficult: “The benefits surely outweighed the negatives to it but to live your life in the fish bowl after while, it’s hard. And it takes its toll and sometimes you want to be able to step back and not have to be accountable to someone and everyone everywhere you go, 24 hours a day, seven days a week. And I’ve enjoyed this off season not having to do that.”

And that never would have been completely possible here in Pittsburgh, so Cowher and his family moved south to Raleigh where he spends most of his days playing racquetball and golf in addition to discovering a new talent – the piano.

(© MMVII, CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved.)