PDA

View Full Version : Bettis Book Talks About Cowher, Pittsburgh Fans, Ex-Teammates

Captcoolhand
08-21-2007, 01:39 PM
PITTSBURGH -- Former running back Jerome Bettis is no doubt one of the most popular Pittsburgh Steelers ever.
Since retiring from the Black-and-Gold, "the Bus" opened a restaurant on the North Shore, took a national television sports gig and wrote a book.
But within those pages lie some controversial comments about the Steelers, a former quarterback and Steelers fans.
The book is a candid look at how Bettis believes the Steelers and the fans treated him.
He also has some interesting things to say about how some of his former teammates were treated, specifically quarterback Kordell Stewart.
The book is titled "The Bus: My Life In and Out of a Helmet," and one of the most startling revelations deals with a non-football event in Bettis' life: a chance to do the ABC show "Dancing With the Stars."
"Before they asked Emmitt (Smith) to be on that show, they asked me," Bettis said in the book. "My agent, Lamont Smith, kept telling me the show is watched by 38 million people, but that was my point: I didn't want 38 million people watching me dance."
On the field, Bettis felt Steelers coaches and management underestimated him during certain points in his career.
About a 2005 loss in Jacksonville, where former head coach Bill Cowher said he forgot to put Bettis in the game on a crucial short-yardage situation, Bettis wrote, "Never in the 10 seasons I played for coach Cowher had I felt betrayed like this."
In 2004, Bettis was a short-yardage back, scoring touchdowns mostly set up by former running back Duce Staley. After scoring two touchdowns at Heinz Field against the Cincinnati Bengals, Bettis said the fans' reaction hurt.
"After I scored my second touchdown of the game, I started hearing boos," Bettis wrote. "It took a few moments, but then I realized Steelers fans at my home stadium were booing me for scoring a touchdown. I was so angry that you could have grilled a hamburger on my forehead."
Bettis said he disagreed with Cowher on a number of occasions, but insists he never held a grudge. In fact, he said if he ever bought an NFL team, Cowher would be one of his first hires.
He does, however, believe Cowher ruined Stewart's career and that the Steelers did not give the quarterback a chance to succeed.
He points to 2002 when coaches pulled Stewart after three games in favor of Tommy Maddox, who had been out of the league for years and hadn't started an NFL game since 1992.
Bettis said Stewart was set up for failure.
"I think they pulled Kordell partly because they didn't want to pay him a big salary and signing bonus," Bettis wrote. "It was cheaper for them if he didn't have success. If he recovered and had a huge year, then the public sentiment would be, 'Hey, you've got to resign him for whatever it costs.' I'm telling you, it was a monetary decision. The Steelers had no interest in paying Kordell his market value."
But at the time, in October 2002, Bettis was quoted in a Post-Gazette story saying, "It's one of those things, a coach has got to make a decision in the best interest of this football team. You have to do what you have to do."Look forward to reading:yesnod:
Can't understand why the fans would be booing him for scoring TD's.

AZ_Steeler
08-21-2007, 02:24 PM
As much as I would like to read this I don't think I will... I don't want to know about all the drama and crap that goes on behind the scenes. I feel better not knowing :)

DBR96A
08-21-2007, 02:49 PM
I expect allusions to racist yinzers somewhere in this book. They give the entire city and the entire fan base a bad name, if you ask me. Yinzers are probably bitching about our "colored" head coach as we speak. **** them. The '70s ain't coming back, regardless of whether it's the team or the type of jobs found in the region. Get over it.

Thankfully, though, such mindsets are a dying breed in the region.

BlitzburghNation
08-21-2007, 03:34 PM
Thought the "bus" was parked in the garage,,,,,,,,,,,, :scratch:

I don't understand why he would want to bring this kind of attention to himself,,,,,,, :scratch:

I sure disagree with this,,,,,,,,"I think they pulled Kordell partly because they didn't want to pay him a big salary and signing bonus," Bettis wrote. "It was cheaper for them if he didn't have success. If he recovered and had a huge year, then the public sentiment would be, 'Hey, you've got to resign him for whatever it costs.' I'm telling you, it was a monetary decision. The Steelers had no interest in paying Kordell his market value."

He sucked ,,,,, :moon: is why he failed in pittsburgh ! One of the biggest choking QB's in nfl history !

Kordell choked over & over again,,,,,,,,We all seen it for years :cursin:

I think I'm gonna agree with AZ and not read this book and just remember what the bus done on the field ~~~~ :tt02:

TEEMONT
08-21-2007, 03:37 PM
Thats a lot of hatin' for some haters....

Koopa
08-21-2007, 03:49 PM
well bettis does have to make money, and his book wouldn't sale if everything was positive, so of course he's gonna have to talk some **** and air out stuff that should stay in the locker room to get paid

and was he really getting booed??? is he sure they weren't saying buuuuuusssss?? lol.............. there is some sorry *** fans in Pitt though, so i wouldn't be surprised if he was getting booed for doing his job.......

and cowher probably did hold back stewart, he's hold back plenty of of players with potential

i also find it funny when tee calls out haters when he in fact is a hater himself :lol:

TEEMONT
08-21-2007, 03:53 PM
Or they could have been saying Duuuuuuuuuuuccceee

Anyways...who do I hate on? Besides Ben.

memphissteelergirl
08-21-2007, 04:03 PM
As much as I would like to read this I don't think I will... I don't want to know about all the drama and crap that goes on behind the scenes. I feel better not knowing :)

Same here, my friend.

Koopa
08-21-2007, 04:16 PM
Or they could have been saying Duuuuuuuuuuuccceee

Anyways...who do I hate on? Besides Ben.

read your little sub title thing......steelersfever.com hater........and it doesn't matter if you hate only on one person, once you hate, you're a hater lol

K Train
08-21-2007, 04:20 PM
lol its a shame reading is against my better judgement 14/10 times

TEEMONT
08-21-2007, 04:32 PM
read your little sub title thing......steelersfever.com hater........and it doesn't matter if you hate only on one person, once you hate, you're a hater lol

what if i use the word despise?

Stlrs4Life
08-21-2007, 05:02 PM
Thought the "bus" was parked in the garage,,,,,,,,,,,, :scratch:

I don't understand why he would want to bring this kind of attention to himself,,,,,,, :scratch:

I sure disagree with this,,,,,,,,"I think they pulled Kordell partly because they didn't want to pay him a big salary and signing bonus," Bettis wrote. "It was cheaper for them if he didn't have success. If he recovered and had a huge year, then the public sentiment would be, 'Hey, you've got to resign him for whatever it costs.' I'm telling you, it was a monetary decision. The Steelers had no interest in paying Kordell his market value."

He sucked ,,,,, :moon: is why he failed in pittsburgh ! One of the biggest choking QB's in nfl history !

I think I'm gonna agree with AZ and not read this book and just remember what the bus done on the field ~~~~ :tt02:

It's all about the $$$$, the more contreversy, the more books he sells.

I for one don't believe we booed him when he scored 2 TDs.

Friday133
08-21-2007, 06:56 PM
I remember the game the boos started. It was the first game of 2004 against the Raiders. Bettis had something like 4 carries for 3 yards and 3 TD's. Fans were upset because Duce did all the work between the 10 yard lines and Bettis got all the glory. I bet if you did a search at the PG you could find an article about it.

SteelerFan87
08-21-2007, 09:34 PM
I remember the game the boos started. It was the first game of 2004 against the Raiders. Bettis had something like 4 carries for 3 yards and 3 TD's. Fans were upset because Duce did all the work between the 10 yard lines and Bettis got all the glory. I bet if you did a search at the PG you could find an article about it.

Exactly. I'm sure the boos had nothing to do with Bettis, or not appreciating him, or anything like that. I'm sure it was because Duce did all the work to get into the red zone, and then they'd take him out and give the TD to Bettis.

As for Kordell, I don't believe that the Rooneys would ever intentionally sabotage a player to avoid paying him. I mean, there's no reason for it whatsoever. If Kordell has a great year, great! That means the team will do better. And if he demands more money than you're willing to give him, you let him go and give Maddox a chance. In Bettis's scenario, you're keeping Kordell, and paying him starter money, while keeping him on the bench and making sure he doesn't succeed, and starting Maddox instead. If the Steelers were ok with Maddox, why not let Kordell have a great year and then let him go, to give Maddox a shot? And even if Kordell had another good year in 02, Bettis couldn't be more wrong about the fans' reaction. People still wanted him gone after he took us to the AFCCG in 01. If he'd gotten us to another one in 02, the fans' opinions of him wouldn't change. Some people will always remember him by 98 and 99, and him crying on the sideline, no matter what he does.

MaineofSteel
08-21-2007, 10:23 PM
You know, it's a damn shame Kordell was encouraged to be a QB at all. His skills were absolutely there,. but his contribution and possible "Canton" selection was possible ........ as "Slash".. Good lord what a waste of talent ... end arounds/quick pitch/reverses/punt returns/RB passing ala "El", except with size, speed and incredible moves. He may have been one of the purest offensive athletes we ever had, wasted by Bill on QB "what if" dreams that didn't.

MoS

BlacknGold Bleeder
08-21-2007, 11:19 PM
If Kordell was held back so badly by the STEELERS why didn't he go on and have a "career" somewhere else?? The STEELERS are not afraid to pay players IF they feel that they are worth it.

BLACKNGOLD4LIFE
08-22-2007, 01:36 AM
well i'm one who's gonna bye the book i truly believe that cowher was trying 2 sabotage the 05 season when he pulled charlie against the browns then started that bum maddox instead of charlie against the jags, an ravens but it was an blessing the players rose 2 the occasion

Blitzburghpete
08-22-2007, 02:24 AM
LOL you remeber i tried getting the book club going, maybe i should start with this book?? LOL

why am i'm not suprized none of you want to read this book. Hardly anyone of you want to read books anyway!!!

Well anyway, i've ordered it, i'll read it and will tell you all about it!! LOL.......

My :2cents: about Kordell, i think he was a great athlete, just he wasn't a big time QB just an average one. His talent wasn't waisted, just it was shown as Qb ing goes he didn't have much.... run around like a headless chicken yep a master. Throwing the ball..... nah.

BlitzburghRockCity
08-22-2007, 06:09 AM
Every former player that rights a book always has controversial things to say, it's what sells. I'll probably read it just to see what the behind the scenes stuff is like from his perspective.

I remember the Boos too during that game but at the time I thought it was DDuuuuucccee chants; either way though I can see where Jerome would be pissed off. That whole situation with because getting all the glory all year long when Duce did most of the work was kinda screwed up considering that Duce wasn't exactly a small guy himself and could have done that work close to the goal line.

steelersgal86
08-22-2007, 06:21 AM
Well, I am not one to read books :dunno: but I think this one I will...

GoBenGo
08-22-2007, 12:36 PM
."

Just ask a Raven Fan :lol: He sucked by Raven qb standards.
:yesnod:

Captcoolhand
08-22-2007, 01:25 PM
Man this thread definitly opens the closet to alot of Staley/Stewart Riders.:yesnod: :lol:
I got to admit myself, I kinda was pulling for Stewart when I seen him playing with Chicago.:yesnod:

:stirpot: I think that his Biggest problem was being able to get up and tighten his boot straps and get back in there when the fans came down on him.
When he was up, he did alright and the fans loved him but when He was down, He was nowhere around....Mentally.:scratch:
And like said already, If Kordell was going to be anything great in the NFL, He had more than just here to prove that. But instead He not even playing in the NFL anymore.

GoBenGo
08-22-2007, 02:11 PM
Hey! I was a Stewart backer (npi) when we first got him. I liked him at colorado! I had ( and still do;-p) hi #10 Jersey ( thought many times about concerting it to a holmes jersey)
Just was a letdown, and a pretty quick fall from grace. Not all his undoing though, I think If he would have been handled a little differently.... maybe ....

aaaaaaah who cares.

Mach1
08-22-2007, 06:32 PM
here all along i thought it was kordell holding the steelers back.....i'll be damned :scratch:

digdug
08-22-2007, 06:49 PM
As big a fan of the Bus as I am - it was for his pounding running style, not his writing style. I, for one, could do without an "unauthorized biography" of the Steelers:nono:

BlitzburghRockCity
08-22-2007, 07:28 PM
Stewarts main problem was confidence; he didn't have any. When he got shot down by Cowher or the fans he would sulk and pout rather than getting back up to try and do better. If he would have just listened to everyone and played Slash or even a full time WR the dude could have been lethal and still been playing today.

AZ_Steeler
08-22-2007, 07:39 PM
Has anyone seen the story on Yahoo that The Bus faked a knee injury in 2000 so he wouldn't be cut??? He was afraid they preferred Huntley over him :dunno:

Bettis said he faked injury to keep Steelers from cutting him (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AtLCxvQnSPk4hg30sfnfLWGT2bYF?slug=ap-steelers-bettisbook&prov=ap&type=lgns)

SteelerFan87
08-22-2007, 09:44 PM
Just ask a Raven Fan :lol: He sucked by Raven qb standards.
:yesnod:

All I remember of Kordell with the Ravens was him leading scoring drives and that time they had him punt.

But of course, Brian Billick never really gave Kordell a chance. Is that Kordell's fault? Well, this is Brian Billick we're talking about. The man who loves Kyle Boller. Not exactly an expert when it comes to good QBs.

WildBillSteel
08-22-2007, 11:04 PM
i wont be readin the book either but i will say im not suprised with what the bus said..........not everybody likes everythng about who they worked for

TEEMONT
08-22-2007, 11:07 PM
eh...I might read it. I doubt anything can tarnish the Bus' legend in my eyes.

BlitzburghRockCity
08-23-2007, 06:25 AM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07235/811473-66.stm

Hines Ward, who was one of Jerome Bettis' closest friends on the team, said he doesn't recall a situation where the former Steelers running back faked an injury in 2000 because he felt threatened about losing a roster spot to Richard Huntley.

Ward, who joined the Steelers in 1998, two years after Bettis was acquired in a draft-day trade, said his former teammate was always being challenged for a starting job by other running backs, including Huntley and Duce Staley, and even lost his starting job for a brief period to Amos Zereoue.

"For the last couple years of Jerome's career, it was always something, especially playing running back, whether it was you're getting too old or Richard came in ... Amos Zereoue, everyone was high on him when we went to the spread offense. He was our feature guy.

"Jerome was always in the mix, but I always felt there was a spot for Jerome. You can't coach the leadership and intangibles he had, on and off the field."

But in his new autobiography, "The Bus. My Life in and out of a Helmet," Bettis said he faked an injury in training camp that year so he wouldn't be cut from the roster in favor of Huntley, who turned down a $2 million signing bonus from the Miami Dolphins to remain with the Steelers.

"Maybe he felt threatened that way," Ward said. "He saw the team evolving to more of a passing team, to a more speedier running back who was good after the catch. But, at the end of the day, when we needed to go where we wanted, we had to rely on Jerome to run the ball, especially the year we won the Super Bowl. Those last four games that year, he carried this team and it started with that Chicago game.

"We, as players, we all feel threatened once in our career, to a draft pick, or through what people say. That year with Richard Huntley, if he felt that way, he put in three, four, five more good years after that. I don't buy into that."

Injury update

DE Brett Keisel (groin) returned to practice and said he feels fine. TE Jerame Tuman (back) did not practice.

Missed opportunity

On his first running play at left tackle, Trai Essex had a chance to make a block to spring Willie Parker for a long gain against the Washington Redskins. And he missed.

Essex never blocked anyone on the play and Parker was tackled for a 1-yard loss. After the play, Parker angrily said something to Essex.

It was not a good way to start for Essex, who was getting another chance to play left tackle while the Steelers continue their search to find a backup for Marvel Smith.

"I wish I had that block back," said Essex, who started at left tackle in place of Smith [back spasms] against the Redskins. "I was hesitant. The guy I was supposed to block came up outside and the guy who ended up filling his spot was right in front of me and I hesitated. [Parker] talked to me about it after that play. It would have been a big play."

Essex, though, said he settled down after that and likely will continue in the same role as last season -- backing up Smith and also being able to play guard in an emergency. Right tackle Max Starks, who appears to have lost his starting job to Willie Colon, is expected to remain on the right side after being used at left tackle in the first two preseason games.

After that, the Steelers are out of viable options at tackle.

"The coaches said just be versatile," Essex said. "It will probably be the same as last year, just be able to play multiple positions. I feel comfortable with that. Wherever they use me, just perform."

I remember when Cowher was all about Huntley and the fans were all excited because he had such good camps and showed flashes of greatness but of course he fizzled out. Im not sure the team would have ever gotten rid of Jerome for Huntely, that would have been stupid but Im sure Jerome may have felt threatened. Odd the way he handled it but none of us were there so who's to say how it really went down.

Prosdo
08-23-2007, 06:30 AM
Seems odd that he would fake an injury. I have to go with Hines. To me there always seemed like there was a place for Jerome on the roster.

JB 67
08-23-2007, 09:52 AM
Same here, my friend.

I agree i don't wan't to ruin how i feel about my favorite Steeler

Iron City South
08-23-2007, 10:33 AM

I hear ya, this is kind of the same approach that GOP conservatives take with this current administration regarding their mistakes and corruption run amok. Rather than ruining the glorified image they have in their mind, they'd rather stay ignorant and in denial.

TEEMONT
08-23-2007, 10:38 AM
I hear ya, this is kind of the same approach that GOP conservatives take with this current administration regarding their mistakes and corruption run amok. Rather than ruining the glorified image they have in their mind, they'd rather stay ignorant and in denial.

what the **** does that have to do with Jerome Bettis? Stay on subject. You berate BG4vr in the politics forum for continuing to post anti-left wing propaganda, and then you blast the right-wing .....in a FOOTBALL thread. Grow up get over it. It's football season, so one cares about your politics in this forum, keep that crap in the soapbox.

Iron City South
08-23-2007, 10:50 AM
evidently I struck a nerve .... :yesnod:

Hey, If the shoe fits .... I simply made a relivant comparison to the comment that some may not want to read all the dirty laundry found in Bettis' book.

TEEMONT
08-23-2007, 11:45 AM
evidently I struck a nerve .... :yesnod:

Hey, If the shoe fits .... I simply made a relivant comparison to the comment that some may not want to read all the dirty laundry found in Bettis' book.

yeah you did...I dont want to hear about your politics in the Steelers forum, like I said no one cares. If you want to debate politics, or make political statements, go to the soapbox, thats what it was made for.

GoBenGo
08-23-2007, 05:31 PM
All I remember of Kordell with the Ravens was him leading scoring drives and that time they had him punt.

But of course, Brian Billick never really gave Kordell a chance. Is that Kordell's fault? Well, this is Brian Billick we're talking about. The man who loves Kyle Boller. Not exactly an expert when it comes to good QBs.:tt02:
It was more of a shot at the Baltimore Cave-Ins qb history than at Slash,
He was set up for failure there.
Heck, Dilfer won a SB Championship for them and couldn't convince them.:hilarious:

Steel-Da-One
08-23-2007, 07:35 PM
i dont think i will read the book myself. some things are better left unknown i think. kordell was an ok qb, but just not good enough to help us get over the hump.

SteelerFan87
08-23-2007, 07:36 PM
:tt02:
It was more of a shot at the Baltimore Cave-Ins qb history than at Slash,
He was set up for failure there.
Heck, Dilfer won a SB Championship for them and couldn't convince them.:hilarious:

Ah. Well in that case I agree.

Brian Billick wouldn't know a good QB if Dan Marino hit him between the eyes with a 40 yard bomb. :lol:

Iron City South
08-23-2007, 10:08 PM
yeah you did...I dont want to hear about your politics in the Steelers forum, like I said no one cares. If you want to debate politics, or make political statements, go to the soapbox, thats what it was made for.

http://caosblog.com/images/crybaby.jpg

:hilarious:

TEEMONT
08-23-2007, 10:44 PM
awww aren't you a genius...that only took all day.

All I'm sayin gis Jerome Bettis has nothing to do with the current state of the white house, nor did what went on behind closed doors in the Steelers locker room. There is a forum for that, and the reason there is a forum for that is because some people don't want politics forced upon them, even though you don't seem to care. Politics makes some people uncomfortable, especially on a football forum, where no one could give a **** less.

floodcitygirl
08-23-2007, 11:29 PM
yeah you did...I dont want to hear about your politics in the Steelers forum, like I said no one cares. If you want to debate politics, or make political statements, go to the soapbox, thats what it was made for.Hell must be freezing over......I'm agreeing with Teemont....again???!!! :lol: Seriously though, I thought that this was the exact purpose for the political forum.....so that those who don't want to read and discuss those issues don't have to? That's one of the great things about SA to me. Everyone's views are respected and appreciated and there's a place designed to discuss just about anything. :yesnod:

Steelerlyn
08-23-2007, 11:52 PM
Noone can take away my precious feelings for da bus.........not even him., no matter what he says. He is just trying to make a few extra bucks. I truly believe that da bus believes KS was given the shaft by the Rooneys. In my opinion, they should have shown KS the door about 4 years + earlier. He was good his first year when he had that raw talent (like Ben). If KS had been a WR he would have been a famous athlete.........Cowher was a slow learner when it came to KS. BC always did protect his veterans.

StlersGuy
08-24-2007, 09:32 AM

I am the same way.

BlitzburghRockCity
08-26-2007, 10:00 PM
Bettis was on the half time show of the game tonight talking about the book. I think Im going to read this even though I really don't want too.

I didn't know he was a dealer for a short time as a kid. He was saying he wasn't taking a shot at Cowher or anyone else in his book but rather just calling it as he saw it in his own mind...but damn, it sure seems that way.

Jocklife
09-02-2008, 06:24 PM
Yo any Jerome Bettis fans in here...

CHeck out his interviews on http://jocklife.com

Miss Sporty xoxo

ToothAche
09-04-2008, 05:26 PM
What's a "Yinzer"? :dunno:

DBR96A
09-04-2008, 05:35 PM
What's a "Yinzer"? :dunno:

A pejorative term referring to people from the Pittsburgh area.

Clevelandsux
09-04-2008, 06:13 PM
The book cameout last year. Most of us have read it.

bfields988
09-06-2008, 04:11 AM
I have to agree with most of the responses...I love the Bus...in fact when i was younger i always told my parents that i wanted to marry him i never knew what he looked like bc i was still in 2nd grade at the time but i thought he had a cool nickname haha...

but as much as id love to read a book that he wrote id rather not know the behind the scenes stuff...i just love the game and the steelers all i care about is what goes on on the field...if it was just a biography of him i may consider it

Stairwayto7
09-06-2008, 09:43 AM
The " Fat Bus" is a sell out!

Blitzburghpete
09-06-2008, 11:25 AM
crumbs how the worm has turned now he's not a player!!

How many people are critizing the bus for writing this book ?

I've read it and frankly don't believe the "hype" no of it is damming against anyone - just the press hyping up what he has put.

It's a great read and i read it because i wanted to get his side of things especially around the time he had to take a pay cut.

AFTER reading this book it only increased my admiration of what the man did for the Steelers orgnization. Ignorance is NOT bliss in this instance and i would thourghly recomend any self respecting Bus fan to read it.