PDA

View Full Version : Post Game Thoughts

Iron City South
08-18-2007, 11:24 PM
- Ben didn't look bad, but our OL is terrible. From this point forward, Tomlin needs to put his guys in place ... no more experimenting. They need to start working together as a unit and begin gelling.

- See ya Essex, you suck ... perhaps you'll find something you're good at in life.

- Mayhan's snaps are slow and off target. He has not earned the job as Center. Okobi has proven to be quick and a hell of a lot more accurate.

- Santonio Holmes has the tools to be a star in this league.

- Running game was a victim of how terrible our OL was so I won't comment on them other than to say 1) Barlow will be cut .... soon and 2) Russell is the real deal ... he's a MASHER!

- Special teams were very average with the exception of Sepulveda's booming kicks ... If we can't get our OL performing, something tells me this guy will get plenty of opportunities to kick each game.

- Defense needs to get off the field in 3rd down situations. Pass rush was very inconsistent tonight. Skins picked up the blitz well and was doing the classic west coast dink-and-dunk burning us for small chunks. Couple of nice sacks .... noticed that Townsend was all over the field as was Kiesel.

- Timmons didn't do enough to comment on other than to say at least he was out there trying to work things out.

- Gay will make this team. This kid has the potential to be something special.

Overall, a lackluster performance by the important first teamers. The OL is the key to EVERYTHING on the offense. How they go is basically how we will go this season. If I was Tomlin, 75% of my time from this point forward would be nailing this group down.

Prosdo
08-18-2007, 11:38 PM
* Trai Essex was a real disappointment. I had heard good things about him, but the guy just couldn't seem to block anyone.

* Mahan made me nervous. I agree it's Okobi's job.

* Russell did a very good job at RB.

* I have really liked what I have seen from Carey Davis. I think he and Russell both deserve a spot on this team.

* D-Sep damn! He has a hell of a leg.

* Ricardo looked good on that kick return. I have been a bit impressed with him lately.

* Holmes is really coming into his own. He is going to have a great year.

* William Gay, I agree ICS. This guy is filled with potential. He has earned himself a spot on the team.

* Barlow needs cut now.

* Where is the pressure on the QB?

Koopa
08-18-2007, 11:57 PM
i'm basing my opinion based one what i saw on the nfl.com live game thing, i didn't listen to the game cause i didn't feel like it lol

essex is yet another one of bill cowher bust draft picks......

our oline sucked but only gave up 1 sack......also, we should be in a panic because they don't gameplan in the preseason so the line usually looks bad this time of year

willie came in with his usual road game performance

ben did good, i'm glad he wasn't being a pussy like last year, he actually ran when he had to, last year he was a little coward and was afraid of his own shadow

holmes is gonna have a good year

arians sucks lol, hopefully it's just the preseason play calling, but he sucks *** lol

our redzone sucks ***, this shouldn't have been a 2 point win, arians got pass happy in the redzone at the end of the second and we couldn't get the run going down there

who's this new kicker?? **** reed, keep this dude, he didn't do anything special but reed is a bum lol

gary russell better make this ****ing team, even if he doesn't dress for most games, he's worthy of a roster spot

our first team defense did not come to play at all, making scurb *** qbs look like they are legit lol

oh well, we are 2-1, and still got 2 more games to improve

BlitzburghRockCity
08-19-2007, 02:41 AM
You guys touched on pretty much all the major points but I'll throw in my :2cents: as well.

Ben looked good tonight for the most part, no complaints at all from him.

Russel is going to get a roster spot and be a nice contributor for us.

It's definitely time to stop playing musical offensive lineman and pick them already. Marvel, Alan, Chukki, Kendall, Willie Colon...just get it over with and let these guys play. All this moving around is going to be costly if he doesn't se the line. It's obvious who's stepping up at this point, IMO. The OL sucked tonight and until they settle into a routine it's going to continue to suck.

Glad to see Willie back, he looked rusty but that's to be expected.

Santonio is a monster, he will compliment Hines perfectly.

Coc actually showed that he wanted to be on the team and contribute in some way other than fumbles. Although he had a good preseason last year so don't let that full ya too much.

Ike is really coming into his own and is all over the field.

Deshea is proving yet again that's he's as valuable a player as we could ask for in the secondary.

Essex is sorry, he had a horrible night tonight; I think he was hanging around Max this week.

DIESELMAN
08-19-2007, 08:38 AM
I haven't been able to watch or even listen to any games except the HOF game. Definitely need to figure out the OL, get the starting 5 and have them play at least 2 quarters together the rest of the preseason. From what I've been reading and hearing from you guys, we definitely need Davis and Russell, out with the old in with the new. Barlow never shoulda been signed up but at the time our RB situation looked pretty bleak. One question guys....how did Timmons look? did he flash any speed or any big play potential? Y'all know he's rusty but he should show at least 2-3 plays where he shows his potential. Thanks for the 411 guys :bigthumb:

Friday133
08-19-2007, 10:32 AM
I don't know why everyone is down on Barlow. I haven't seen enough of him to say he shouldn't make the team. Russell has been decent, but its been against 3rd and 4th teams. Davis seems to be a guy that can make it with his ST play.

Holmes looks great, and so does Wilson for that matter. After our top 3 WR's we're pretty thin. I would have liked to see more out of Dallas Baker, but its obvious he's not making this team.

Ed Bouchette reported this morning in the PG that Essex could be the #1 backup on the outside of the OL. After last night I hope that just isn't true.

Gay looks good, but again its mostly been against the scrubs, if he makes this team it will be because of his ST play.

We need more pressure on the QB during non blitz situations. Hopefully Woodley and Timmons will grow into that role.

SteelersfaninPhilly
08-19-2007, 10:43 AM
3rd down defense needs to improve.

steelcurtain09
08-19-2007, 10:54 AM
wht happened yesterday??
i was listenin to the game yesterday before i got home and i thought i was listening to a Cowher/Whisenhunt gameplan. On three straight series they called third down tailback screens.
I thought tht since we now have a completely different HC and OC we wouldnt have to suffer through any more of those.

also i didnt see any shots taken downfield

props to Gay. he shook off tht drop and played the tip for the int perfectly. hes earned his spot

ill pretty much repeat everybody else here
keep Davis and Russell. cut Barlow

i held my breath when coclough went back for those kicks but he handled them well and made a good return event though it was called back.

i think St. Pierre is adequete as a third string QB. idk y u guys dont like him.

K Train
08-19-2007, 10:56 AM
ok, **** essex, i thik capizzi would do better there as a backup

i told you guys mahan sucks at center, hes a better guard

russel is awesome, him and davis are gonna make the team, anyone know davis is 26?

santonio is such a ****ing monster and is gonna give D-sep a run for his money at MVP

dont put to much stock into preseason game, all is does is **** you off, we'll get our oline figured out but switching it up constantly is awful for the players

barlow....is still a bitch

BlitzburghRockCity
08-19-2007, 11:09 AM
That vanilla gameplan that is always put in place for preseason just drives you nuts because you see so many holes and things that need fixed, then the season comes and it either all works out or it all falls apart even more.

Let's hope the OL gets set this coming week and they can start to work together. The last thing I want to see is 5 guys starting on opening weekend who haven't had time to gel, even alittle bit.

But yeah it's preseason it sucks :lol:

BlackGold4vr
08-19-2007, 11:21 AM
ok, **** essex, i thik capizzi would do better there as a backup

russel is awesome, him and davis are gonna make the team, anyone know davis is 26?

santonio is such a ****ing monster and is gonna give D-sep a run for his money at MVP

barlow....is still a bitch

:plus1:

Essex and Starks are both bitches who shouldn't make the team. I believe our rookies Cameron Stephenson and Jason Capizzi could do no worse than these guys with virtually no NFL experience.

Barlow just hasn't played as well as Davis and Russell. Are they gonna choose who makes the team based upon training camp and pre-season game performances? If so then Barlow is a goner!

Our O-line is just not good. That is my biggest area of concern for the Steelers. If they don't get their act together it will be a long season for all. I just hope they don't compound the problems by keeping some of the dead weight already proven to suck and launch some of the new guys who have shown promise. I would rather have a couple new guys short on experience and long on desire than the opposite.

You can make a million excuses about them not playing together enough but in the end it looks like the same O-line that was dominated by the Ravens twice and the Chargers once. :yesnod:

Iron City South
08-19-2007, 11:24 AM
I don't know why everyone is down on Barlow. I haven't seen enough of him to say he shouldn't make the team. Russell has been decent, but its been against 3rd and 4th teams. Davis seems to be a guy that can make it with his ST play.

That's just it .... Barlow has done nothing in camp or in the few pre-season games to earn his spot on this team; he's not standing out. Both Russell and Davis have already done something to raise an eyebrow or two. Let's be honest, Barlow's resume on other teams isn't stellar either.

Barlow doesn't have the stones to be a Steeler, he doesn't play hard enough, doesn't have that attitude.

Stlrs4Life
08-19-2007, 11:52 AM
After reading all of tat. I don't think I want to watch the reair on NFL Network this afternoon.

BlackGold4vr
08-19-2007, 12:08 PM
After reading all of tat. I don't think I want to watch the reair on NFL Network this afternoon.

I didn't get to watch it either but I listened to it on WDVE radio and then I caught the post game show with Stan Savran. I am going to watch it on NFL network anyway to get a birds eye view and see if it was as bad as what was described on the radio play-by-play.

I agree with all the talking points made on the Stan Savran show.

Not cooincidentally, they discussed Trai Essex and Max Starks stepping up and showing something......they did not.

They discussed which running backs should make the team.......Davis/Russell yes.......Barlow/Haynes no!

They discussed secondary, who should go and who should stay.

Say goodbye to Chidi Iwuoma......There are other players who can not only contribute on special teams like Gay and Davis, but they can also contribute at their perspective positions they play on defense and offense. Clint Kriewaldt will probably stay because they need depth at ILB.

NOVA STEELERS
08-19-2007, 12:20 PM
Being at the game it was alot tougher to break it down, since for the most part was talking smack with skins so called fans...... But what I did see, was the drive right in front of me at the end of the half where we could not punch it in, then the last drive had another stalled at the 1, I see everyone on this russelll guy, but he did not get the job done..... should have used davis........ I agree barlow has to go......... I do know they need to cover the TE better, made cooley look like a HOF.... D-SEP looked awesome...... BOOMING Kicks, and that Hughes (sp?) didn't have me holdingmy breath during his FG attempts, and seemed to have some nice kickoffs......

Overall thou, thought our D did not bring there game and they need to get the O-line together and stick with it......

GO STEELERS!!!!!!

digdug
08-19-2007, 12:40 PM
That vanilla gameplan that is always put in place for preseason just drives you nuts because you see so many holes and things that need fixed, then the season comes and it either all works out or it all falls apart even more.

Let's hope the OL gets set this coming week and they can start to work together. The last thing I want to see is 5 guys starting on opening weekend who haven't had time to gel, even alittle bit.

But yeah it's preseason it sucks :lol:

:ditto:
Couldn't have said it better

Black@Gold Forever32
08-19-2007, 12:46 PM
The Steelers still need a center..........I think Okobi will be the starter....But the thing with Okobi he has never started for a full 16 games....He also had a neck injury last year and this year he has had some back problems....How can he hold up for 16 games?lol If not then it will be Mahan...lol I was hoping he can win the center spot.....But his low snaps and his average at best play don't cut it......Hopefully he is a better OG then C.......With both Simmons and Faneca both being FAs....There is going to be a need for experienced OG on the roster next year...

Its safe to say that Essex, Kemoeatu just suck........More wasted draft picks....I know Cowher is to blame...But so are the Steelers scouts.....I remember reading after the 05 draft that the Steelers had Essex valued as a first round talent....What the hell were they smoking?

Then there is Max Starks....Another wasted pick....since Starks has been average at best since being in the NFL....He can pack his bags right now and I wouldn't care.....

There isn't a whole a lot of young promising talent on the OLine....The Steelers need to draft Oline no doubt.........But I think it might be time to bring some FAs in as well if there is any out there next year....I don't know the FA class next year besides the Steelers FAs.....

Next the return game looks terrible.......Ced Wilson has had the best punt returns this pre-season and he has stated in the past that he doesn't like to return kicks......I'm still waiting Willie Reid.......You were a bad *** at Florida State as a return man....So far you havn't showed **** in the NFL....I know the blocking could be better to set him up on his returns but so far Willie hasn't impressed at all....

As for the play-calling I'm not worried....Its pre-season.......I'm sure if this was the regular season and the Steelers were that close to the goal line we would have seen Kreider in there to lead the way and the Steelers would have pounded it in there......But with all the talk of these multi TE sets....Both Miller and Spaeth should have been in there at the end of the first half....Just lob it up there for Spaeth with his big frame....

Well the game against the Skins was just ugly....I could go on but I already wrote a novel.....Hopefully the Steelers look much better vs the Eagles next Sunday....

JB 67
08-19-2007, 01:07 PM
I hope the O-line comes together because i don't see this group surviving against the Ravens ... I feel good about all other aspects of the team ..Hell Special teams might even win a few games for us :cope:

BlitzburghRockCity
08-19-2007, 02:24 PM
Speaking of Willie Reid, 32...where the hell is he at ? The dude had 1 catch for 17 yds on sunday but we haven't heard jack from him in a positive way since the first game when he had a rough go of it. We all thought this kid was the future returner for us, the next ARE possibly, but so far he's been either injured or just flat out inconsistent in every way. This is the time, in preseason, when he should be showing what he's got now that he's healthy. I hope he steps up soon because other than Cedric all we have in the return game is Santonio and I don't want him back there. If Dallas Baker makes this team he can do that for us too.

K Train
08-19-2007, 02:47 PM
baker is way to slow to return, i want santonio being a badass on offense, not special teams.

cocface shows flashes but i really hate him lol

BlitzburghRockCity
08-19-2007, 02:51 PM
Coc had a good preseason last year and it blew up in his face during the regular season so I don't care what he does cut his *** or at the very least keep him on the bench.

Baker is quick but not fast and atleast he might hang onto the ball :lol:

TEEMONT
08-19-2007, 03:01 PM
Man I am finally watching this game, since they lied to me when I called the bar, and it wasn't really on. Anyways, the offense is pissing me off. I know its pre-season but they look sloppy.

I know Tomlin wants to see what his o-line can do, and move people around, but ****, we need to start developing some continuity on that damn line, or Ben/Willie could end up hurt.

The return game looks like my ex girlfriend, sloppy and strung-out. Even the 1st D was giving up big yards, I mean **** TODD ****ING COLLINS threw a TD on them.

I am trying not to get too excited, its only pre-season, but jesus.......

Iron City South
08-19-2007, 03:42 PM
After this week ..... you'll start to see things become more crisp. I never put stock into assessing a team until the final 2 remaining pre-season games.

Up to this point, its all been about experimenting and looking at who's going to make the big 53 ....

The Turk strikes next week ....

Trixie
08-19-2007, 03:47 PM
Hey all! Congrats on the win.....preseason or not. I just wish we were playing you guys this year. Maybe we'll see you in the big game huh?

K Train
08-19-2007, 03:56 PM
they need to have their game faces on for the eaglets sunday night

RckyMtnStlrFan
08-19-2007, 04:16 PM
I agree with pretty much everything you said ICS. Though, I thought the pass rush wasn't too bad in the first quarter. The problem was there was always someone open so they were always able to make the play. The first quarter I blame on the secondary. After that it was just plain poor play overall.

The O-line played like shiat! As everyone else has said, Tomlin needs to pick his o-line NOW and get them in regular season form!

Sepulveda Rocks! That first punt was amazing! 58yards and bounced right out-of bounds! DAMN! What a great pick he was. :tt02: He was the ONLY player that did his job perfectly every time.:clap:

As for Ben, I thought he played ok, nothing special. I saw a few passes that he should've made. Mostly short passes that should've been 1 or 2 feet in the other direction. His run in the second quarter for the first down was a smart move, though I thought he dove a hair too early.

Cockface impressed me a little. He played way better than I'm used to seeing. Nice return in the third.

Bottom line is if the o-line doesn't play better we will have the same season w had last year. I believe the D will be ok, the secondary will step it up in the regular season. But, that o-line needs some serious work. And, OL aside I think it looks like 30 td's by Ben (as a couple of people have projected) is out of the question:2cents:

I know this is just preseason and I hope that's the reason for most of the poor play. I guess we'll see in a couple of weeks.

Oh yeah, CUT ESSEX NOW!!! buh bye!

BlackGold4vr
08-19-2007, 04:23 PM
The return game looks like my ex girlfriend, sloppy and strung-out. Even the 1st D was giving up big yards, I mean shiat TODD ****ING COLLINS threw a TD on them.

:haha: :haha: :haha:

Perhaps you should raise the bar a little Tee!

K Train
08-19-2007, 05:06 PM
Sepulveda Rocks! That first punt was amazing!

he knows lol

K Train
08-19-2007, 05:07 PM
i just watched the game.....pretty sure gay might be the best thats ever lived

SteelerSteve
08-19-2007, 07:09 PM
i think St. Pierre is adequete as a third string QB. idk y u guys dont like him. Agreed. I think he gives us about all we can realistically expect from a third string qb, nothing special, but he seems to make safe descisions with the ball:2cents:

SteelersWoman
08-19-2007, 08:47 PM
That game sure wasn't pretty. I don't know how in the heck we even won that one...

I know this is still preseason, but we STILL need to stop teams from converting on third downs. We also need to see our guys breaking up more passes like they were doin. If we don't, this could be one UGLY season. Oh yeah--center needs to actually snap the ball TO Big Ben--kinda works better that way.

There WERE a few bright spots though, and I'd prefer to end this post on one of those things...Coc's 55 yard return was a thing of beauty--too dang bad it had to come back!

TEEMONT
08-19-2007, 11:36 PM
:haha: :haha: :haha:

Perhaps you should raise the bar a little Tee!

Oh dont worry I married way up.....

kgreen
08-20-2007, 06:39 AM
3rd down defense needs to improve.

Again..........for the third straight year.................:banging:

steelersgal86
08-20-2007, 10:18 AM
Man I am finally watching this game, since they lied to me when I called the bar, and it wasn't really on. Anyways, the offense is pissing me off. I know its pre-season but they look sloppy.

No Way!!! That happened to you too?? I called ahead and they said the game was on for sure!!! I even made them double check...But after we got there and 5 beers in all ready...we had to watch the browns again..:cursin::cursin: I was not happy....

anyhow I caught a little bit yesterday and sloppy is an understatement!!!!

GoBenGo
08-20-2007, 10:37 AM
First team "O"=zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Reid IS showing promise, O line looked miserable. Kept hearing what size and talent we have but kept watching them get pushed around.
Washington caught one!\
Another vote for Russell!!!!
Barlow_ keep the jury out- he had a descent game.But our backfield may be too deep.
Sepulveda rocks!!

ARKIESTEEL
08-20-2007, 11:18 AM
The NFL network re-air they had on sunday had the skins callers for the first half and the Steelers guys for the second ............... seemed like they talked way to much about the low hit on there QB.....

TEEMONT
08-20-2007, 12:35 PM
The NFL network re-air they had on sunday had the skins callers for the first half and the Steelers guys for the second ............... seemed like they talked way to much about the low hit on there QB.....

Come on, it was Thiesmann what did you expect.

SteelersfaninPhilly
08-20-2007, 02:11 PM
Come on, it was Thiesmann what did you expect.

How the heck does Thiesmann still have a job?

GoBenGo
08-20-2007, 06:17 PM
oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh,
I HATE THEISMAN

------------------------------------------------------------
[AutoMerged Post Below]
------------------------------------------------------------
THAT GAME WAS BEST ON MUTE, it is no better on their radio broadcast, sonny and sammy seriously suck. seriously

Prosdo
08-20-2007, 09:18 PM

Yeah, I watched that too. The other guy was like oh I see he just stumbled. Theisman just kept bitching.

steelcurtain09
08-20-2007, 10:07 PM
Yeah, I watched that too. The other guy was like oh I see he just stumbled. Theisman just kept bitching.

THAT GAME WAS BEST ON MUTE, it is no better on their radio broadcast, sonny and sammy seriously suck. seriously

u r lucky u have the option of watching tht
i have no choice.
sonny and sammy are actually pretty good compared to theismann
but i still wish i could have muted my radio. but i couldnt or id miss the game

GoBenGo
08-21-2007, 11:06 AM
u r lucky u have the option of watching tht

but i still wish i could have muted my radio. but i couldnt or id miss the game:rofl::lol::lol::lol:
Sonny and Sammy remind me of Statler and Waldorf from the muppets, but drunk.

K Train
08-22-2007, 04:40 PM
the game was just replayed on nfl net......santonio is a monster