PDA

View Full Version : Max Starks 2nd string!?!?!?!??

steelcitysfinestXL
08-17-2007, 12:01 PM
This is an article in todays Beaver County Times... (County north of alleghany)
At first i thought this read was BS. I just assumed because Smith was hurt and Tomlin wants to see who can play where in case of emergency, he was trying max at LT... but now im not so sure!!!

By: Mike Bires, Times Sports Staff
08/16/2007
Email to a friendPrinter-friendly
LATROBE - Max Starks may be on the verge of losing his job at right tackle

A starter the past two seasons, Starks seems to have lost ground in his battle with Willie Colon.

From all indications, Colon will make his second straight preseason start at right tackle Saturday night in a game against the Washington Redskins, and word is that if he excels, he'll remain with the first-team offense.

Coach Mike Tomlin has been reluctant to say when he'll determine his five starters on the offensive line.

Other than the Starks/Colon competition, there's also Sean Mahan vs. Chukky Okobi at center. But with Okobi likely to miss his second straight game with a rib injury, it's Mahan, who got a $4 million signing bonus when he came to Pittsburgh via free agency in March, who's expected to win that battle.

"I'm going to stick to the plan and the plan is we're going to be very patient and open minded," Tomlin said. "We think the decisions are going to become crystal clear."

Right tackle is anything but crystal clear, at least when it comes to Starks' future.

A third-round pick out of Florida in 2004, he started all 20 games during the Super Bowl season of '05 and the first 14 games last season before hurting his knee.

Despite off-season knee surgery, Starks practiced fairly well the first week of training camp. But he played only marginally in the 20-7 preseason win over New Orleans. He didn't play much better in the 13-9 loss to Green Bay when he backed up Marvel Smith at left tackle. He's given up three sacks in two games.

A mammoth who goes 6-foot-8 and 348 pounds, Starks worked mostly at left tackle this week because Smith has been sidelined with a back injury. But now that Smith practiced Thursday, Starks is back on the right side ... behind Colon.

"That's a good question," Starks said when asked his opinion of how his battle with Colon is unfolding. "I haven't been over there much the past two weeks, so it's a little tough to gauge. I thought it was good early on, but now, I'm not so sure."

Colon, a fourth-round draft pick out of NCAA Division I-AA Hofstra, remains low key about his chances of unseating the incumbent. At 6-foot-3 and 315 pounds, he's not nearly as big as Starks. But he's stronger at the point of attack.

"I'm just trying to get better. I'm trying not to be satisfied. I'm trying to earn a spot," he said. "The way I'm taking it, it's still up in the air. I might not know anything until we line up in Cleveland."

The Sept. 9 game against the Browns is the Steelers' regular-season season opener.

Starks, who claims his knee is 100 percent healthy, is in the last year of his existing contract. He's eligible for unrestricted free agency next season. How long he remains a Steeler will likely be determined by how he fares this year.

To be more precise, he doesn't have a future in Pittsburgh if he can't beat out Colon and hold onto his starting job this year.

K Train
08-17-2007, 12:04 PM
let the willie colon era begin

Black@Gold Forever32
08-17-2007, 12:08 PM
I think Willie Colon should start...I'm tired of seeing turnstile Starks get man handled.lol I don't the Steelers resign Starks either....Maybe Max can rejoin Grimm in AZ...

SteelersWoman
08-17-2007, 12:10 PM
Willie has the mentality needed for tackle--Max doesn't. Max is like a big teddy bear, and he doesn't scare ANYbody--the opponents don't see the intensity and glare in his eyes. Willie's from the Bronx, it comes naturally lol

steelcitysfinestXL
08-17-2007, 12:14 PM
:plus1: AMEN K-Train, and not a moment to soon... i dont think i have ever seen a Tackle in the NFL get blown of the ball like Max did Saturday against Jenkins. I like Colon alot and he deserves a chance to start... he cant do must worse than max!!!

K Train
08-17-2007, 12:17 PM
it sucks that starks is gonna go through life as such a huge dude and cant even play football lol

Stlrs4Life
08-17-2007, 12:18 PM
Keep up the good work Colon.

AZ_Steeler
08-17-2007, 12:25 PM
wow... it seems like one of those days when something big happens and you can't really say anything about it because it's so monumental and you're kind of in disbelief... Colon has been awesome going back to last year and you can't deny him of that... plus to to send Starks to being a backup is impressive in itself too!

NOVA STEELERS
08-17-2007, 01:00 PM
Starks has been a disappointment............ Colon has shined and needs to be the guy to nail down that position

Mike Tomlin
08-17-2007, 01:06 PM
I said earlier when Starks was practicing on the left side I knew it was the beginning of the end. Since he already knows the right he's learning the left to be a backup to both positions. Starks is too soffftttttttt! After damn near every play I see a guy half his size pushing him wanting to fight and he does nothing. Theirs no way i'd attack a 6'8" 350 guy.

Captcoolhand
08-17-2007, 03:33 PM
reguardless who they put in there, Our O-line is still in need of serious improvements.
Anyone got a list of Players to watch for next years draft.:scratch:

K Train
08-17-2007, 03:38 PM
next year is STACKED at tackle, heres a list of the top guards

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/rankings/og.html

Captcoolhand
08-17-2007, 03:56 PM
next year is STACKED at tackle, heres a list of the top guards

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/rankings/og.htmlThanks K
I'm going to have to look at this.:bigthumb:

manofsteel
08-17-2007, 09:21 PM
The big man from Hofstra WILL take that spot and WIll be eating Starks lunch come this season

Ibleedblk&gld
08-17-2007, 09:47 PM
max starks and kendall simmons are 2 ppl that should not be on the steelers...they're hurting our offensive line...

K Train
08-17-2007, 09:50 PM
simmons isnt that bad, he had a rough stretch after he blew out his knee...trust me, having starks next to him didnt help his career

BB2W
08-17-2007, 10:03 PM
A somewhat undersized second year tackle from Hostra beating out a mammoth tackle who was a three year starter at Florida and a two year starter in the NFL. You gotta love it. :helmet:

K Train
08-17-2007, 10:06 PM
you can teach a vicious mentality

Mike Tomlin
08-17-2007, 10:07 PM
I think Ben likes the idea of Colon starting.

BlitzburghRockCity
08-17-2007, 10:14 PM
Colon is a mean dude and definitely has a nasty disposition to play on the line. He's been steadily getting better while Max has hit a plateau it would seem.

BB2W
08-17-2007, 10:14 PM
I think Ben likes the idea of Colon starting.He is known to be friends with Starks, but I'm sure he wants the guy giving him the best protection starting.

K Train
08-17-2007, 10:20 PM
off topic, whats goin on with the dude from rutgers?

Blitzburgh55
08-17-2007, 10:34 PM
thank god Max Starx is the biggest bum on the team

BB2W
08-17-2007, 10:48 PM
off topic, whats goin on with the dude from rutgers?Yeah, I'll have to re-watch the games and focus on him while he was in. I can't imagine he is doing any better that Kemoeatu.

K Train
08-17-2007, 10:50 PM
lol what a luxury....rewatching games, wish i could do that lol

Black@Gold Forever32
08-17-2007, 11:01 PM
off topic, whats goin on with the dude from rutgers?

I heard he will be placed on the practice squad more then likely....

K Train
08-17-2007, 11:07 PM
****ing scrub lol

BB2W
08-17-2007, 11:07 PM
lol what a luxury....rewatching games, wish i could do that lolIf you can get DirecTV you can get a DVR for $4.95 a month. It is nice to watch a certain player each snap. That is how I scouted Anthony Spencer because I had the Penn State game on DVR. Re-watching McFadden and Anthony Smith in their starts was nice.

I've prolly watched the last game of the year against Cincy three times. :redcool:

K Train
08-17-2007, 11:08 PM
i would fall asleep to that one lol

BB2W
08-17-2007, 11:24 PM
i would fall asleep to that one lolThe least expensive DirecTV package is $49.95 a month... You don't have the movie channels and the sports package, but you can get the NFL Ticket for about $300 and they will spread it out among your monthly payments.

For $99.95 you get all the movie channels and all the sports channels. Lots of untelivised college games. Plus a discount on the NFL Ticket.

K Train
08-17-2007, 11:25 PM
i dont watch enough tv, just football really

BlitzburghNation
08-18-2007, 02:09 AM
Man I cannot understand starks at all,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :scratch:

He should dominate his position with that size and especially the right side
DAM,,,,,,,,,Maybe Colon will motivate him to get better and at the least he'll make us a solid back-up~~~~~ :crossfingers: