PDA

View Full Version : McFadden waits and waits

Koopa
08-15-2007, 02:15 AM
If there is a competition to be the starter at right cornerback in the Steelers' defense, perhaps someone should tell Bryant McFadden.

While other positions have rotated starters in training camp and preseason games, including in the secondary, McFadden wonders when he will get his turn.

While players such as center Sean Mahan, offensive tackle Willie Colon and safety Anthony Smith have received at least one week to work with their respective first-team units, McFadden is going through another week at Saint Vincent College in Latrobe as the backup to veteran Deshea Townsend at cornerback.

Just as he has every week since the start of training camp.

"That's how it's been since day one," McFadden said. "It's pretty much been that same kind of deal."

And that is not likely to change this week, either, when the Steelers play their third preseason game Saturday night against the Washington Redskins in Landover, Md.

McFadden and Townsend were expected to be among the featured combatants in one of the battles at training camp, along with Smith and Ryan Clark at free safety, Colon and Max Starks at right tackle and Mahan and Chukky Okobi at center. The gauntlet was thrown down by coach Mike Tomlin in the offseason, when he cited right cornerback as one of the positions open for competition.

Instead, Townsend has started both games at right cornerback and continues to work with the first-team defense in practice this week.

"It's my job to go play," Townsend said. "The coaches will make a decision. As long as you see it like that, then you don't worry about the speculation."

Nonetheless, it has caused McFadden, a No. 2 draft choice in 2005, to wonder what happened to the competition.

"I was thinking the same thing," he said. "I really didn't ask any questions. I just come out here and play my best and do what I do. I don't know how it's going to go the rest of camp, but I'm still with the second team."

And it appears it might remain that way for a while.

Tomlin was noncommittal yesterday when asked if McFadden will eventually get a turn with the first-team defense.

"I kind of like the way it's going right now," Tomlin said. "But we'll remain open-minded about that."

Just last week, Tomlin appeared to boost McFadden's chances when he said, "Bryant McFadden is a young guy that's on the rise. He's got starter skills. The other guys, of course, have had solid camps. We're just going to continue to watch that situation develop."

For now, though, McFadden is the team's nickel back, which means he is the extra player in the secondary when the Steelers use five defensive backs. In that scheme, he lines up at right cornerback, and Townsend, a 10-year veteran, moves to the slot to take advantage of his blitzing ability.

Townsend is accustomed to the role: He was the team's nickel back before he became a starter in the second half of the 2003 season.

"When I first came in, that's what I always played, so I'm comfortable at it," Townsend said. "You got to do a lot of talking and you have to get guys lined up in the right spots."

McFadden started nine games last season, including the final seven when Townsend missed two games with an injury and Ike Taylor was benched by former coach Bill Cowher. McFadden also started two other games when Townsend was injured but still played as an extra back in the nickel and dime defense.

McFadden finished tied for the team lead with three interceptions and had a big game against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, making 12 tackles and doing something the Steelers had a difficult time performing last season -- stopping a fade pass in the end zone with an interception.

"I didn't come here to always be second-fiddle," McFadden said. "My goal was to learn and get myself prepared to make that next step, which is to be a starter. It's going to happen. That's the way I feel. I'm not really waiting for it. I'm just trying to progress. Whatever happens, happens."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07227/809480-66.stm

well, i've been saying before his rookie season even started that he was gonna be a star, and he hasn't proven he isn't yet, he needs to get a chance which he didn't get with cowher cause townsend is 34573948 years old so cowher automatically started him, and now tomlin is being retarded lol....... mcfadden needs to be a starter, he is to good to be wasting like this

Captcoolhand
08-15-2007, 02:33 AM
Ya that's messed up Townsends a bum IMO. McFadden needs to get his shot and there's no doubts about that and Even if he doesn't want to show it, you can tell he's starting to get a bit frustrated over the whole thing.

Prosdo
08-15-2007, 02:38 AM
McFadden will get his chance soon enough. You are right Koopa this guy is going to be a star.

BlitzburghRockCity
08-15-2007, 07:08 AM
It's really a bunch a shiat and a double standard if you ask me. Tomlin preaching how everything is open this camp, no preconceived this and that's, :blah: yet McFadden is still backing up and not getting his chance to start. Tomlin better get his *** in gear and get this kid some work in the preseason with the starters because Deshea isn't getting an younger. Preseason is one thing but if Townsend falters in the regular season McFadden won't have had any time with the starters and it's going to hurt us.

Mike Tomlin
08-15-2007, 10:44 AM
It's really a bunch a shiat and a double standard if you ask me. Tomlin preaching how everything is open this camp, no preconceived this and that's, :blah: yet McFadden is still backing up and not getting his chance to start. Tomlin better get his *** in gear and get this kid some work in the preseason with the starters because Deshea isn't getting an younger. Preseason is one thing but if Townsend falters in the regular season McFadden won't have had any time with the starters and it's going to hurt us.
Calm down lol! We've got 3 more preseason games left. Of course he's going to give guys like Clark and Townsend the first chance, because of experience. Mcfadden and Smith will get ther chance and will start when it's all said and done. I think Townsend is a pretty good nickelback, he blitzes good , and he's a good leader on the field. Tomlin knows what he's doing, he's got to give those guys their due . Plus this makes those younger guys hungrier to make a play when they get their chance. Hopefully that carries over into the season.

Black@Gold Forever32
08-15-2007, 12:23 PM
Maybe Coach Tomlin just doesn't want to hand McFadden the job and waiting for him to step up to the plate and take the right corners spot from Townsend....I think Tomlin knows McFadden is a player with some talent...He stated he has starters skills.......I think these head games only will keep McFadden hungry....

Plus just because McFadden isn't the starter right now doesn't mean he won't be come Sept. 9th.....

AZ_Steeler
08-15-2007, 01:12 PM
Maybe Tomlin doesn't like McFadden b/c he's black? :dunno: ;)

Being serious now it is a double standard. Tomlin said every position was going to be up for grabs come training camp and it seems like Townsend has been inked in as the starter from day one. McFadden needs to keep on doing what he has been doing and when he starts to outplay/outshine Townsend there will be an out cry from the fans... you can count on that! :bigthumb:

McFadden is one of those FSU corners so you know he's going to be something special without a doubt... it's just to bad it appears he's going to have to wait on the old man to gets injured before they call his number :smh:

Captcoolhand
08-15-2007, 02:37 PM
Maybe Tomlin doesn't like McFadden b/c he's black? :dunno: ;) To the contrary, there for a while I thought that Blacks were going to be all that Tomlin was going to bring in.
Up until Jared Retkofsky who is white, who else has he scouted to bring in. I'm not trying to sound racist but I'm just looking at the facts.:dunno:

I see white guys getting replaced by white, Black by black. but as far as new guys or promotions. I havn't seen a white guy yet.:2cents: :stirpot:

AZ_Steeler
08-15-2007, 02:50 PM
It was a joke :lol: No need to :stirpot:

Captcoolhand
08-15-2007, 03:00 PM
It was a joke :lol: No need to :stirpot:
I know you ment nothing by it AZ but i was just stating my Opinion. :yesnod:

BlitzburghNation
08-15-2007, 03:04 PM
IMO,,,,,,,,The most proven of the two during camp & pre-cramp will be our starter and that's what'll be best for the team :tt02:

My main two worries for us ,,,,,, :scratch:
#1 how Quick our offense will et this new offense down & #2 Our special teams ,,,,,,,,Especially our Kicker Mr. Reed !

I think our Defense will be a top #5 this year ~~~~~ :tt02:

Koopa
08-15-2007, 04:13 PM
To the contrary, there for a while I thought that Blacks were going to be all that Tomlin was going to bring in.
Up until Jared Retkofsky who is white, who else has he scouted to bring in. I'm not trying to sound racist but I'm just looking at the facts.:dunno:

I see white guys getting replaced by white, Black by black. but as far as new guys or promotions. I havn't seen a white guy yet.:2cents: :stirpot:

huh?? i haven't noticed that, he drafted matt spaeth who is white, he drafted d-sep who is half mexican, he drafted that dude from rutgers who isn't black, we signed mahan who is white

Mike Tomlin
08-15-2007, 06:51 PM
huh?? i haven't noticed that, he drafted matt spaeth who is white, he drafted d-sep who is half mexican, he drafted that dude from rutgers who isn't black, we signed mahan who is white
I wasn't going to even entertain that comment.

BlitzburghRockCity
08-15-2007, 07:02 PM
Calm down lol! We've got 3 more preseason games left. Of course he's going to give guys like Clark and Townsend the first chance, because of experience. Mcfadden and Smith will get ther chance and will start when it's all said and done. I think Townsend is a pretty good nickelback, he blitzes good , and he's a good leader on the field. Tomlin knows what he's doing, he's got to give those guys their due . Plus this makes those younger guys hungrier to make a play when they get their chance. Hopefully that carries over into the season.

My point is that Mike already knows what he has in Townsend and Clark, what he needs to find out is what he's got in McFadden and Anthony Smith. Give those 2 guys the majority of the starts in preseason or atleast split the time evenly so everyone plays and gets a chance with the first team to make it fair.

manofsteel
08-15-2007, 09:07 PM
Mc Fadden Will start. It just might not be this season. WE all know this is Shea SHeas last season with us and we all know who will be taking his spot. Unless Towshend gets hurt or does really bad its his job he is the vet. I agree that a younger more agile athlete would be better its still Desheas job to lose.

K Train
08-15-2007, 09:20 PM
i dont think its fair to say townsend is a bum, hes better than a few corners weve had the past few years.....no matter who the starter is the other guys always seems to be on the field anyway, i think mcfadden is a beast with the rest of you but deshea is a good player too....he'll get his chance

BlitzburghRockCity
08-15-2007, 09:27 PM
Deshea is a serviceable starter, he's been around with us for a long time is a leader on the field and off. Im glad we have him on the team but I think since McFadden is the future that we need to get him on the field more. He's younger, faster, and stronger. Deshea is a great mentor for the team and the secondary but we need to get McFadden in the mix as much as possible IMO.

DIESELMAN
08-15-2007, 09:34 PM
Tomlin has only seen these guys play through OTA's, camp and 2 preseason games. I'm sure he's getting a lot of advice from LeBeau, but ultimately Mike will know who should start and who shouldn't, like someone said we got 3 more games till the season, anything can happen between now and then.

Black@Gold Forever32
08-15-2007, 09:47 PM
Tomlin has only seen these guys play through OTA's, camp and 2 preseason games. I'm sure he's getting a lot of advice from LeBeau, but ultimately Mike will know who should start and who shouldn't, like someone said we got 3 more games till the season, anything can happen between now and then.

Exactly....I have been listening to the radio camp shows...From what I hear Tomlin likes McFadden very much so he knows what type of player he has in McFadden...I think Tomlin is just waiting for McFadden to clearly take the job away from Townsend...I think its smart not handing the right corner spot to McFadden....It keeps him hungry.....

Mike Tomlin
08-15-2007, 09:54 PM
Exactly....I have been listening to the radio camp shows...From what I hear Tomlin likes McFadden very much so he knows what type of player he has in McFadden...I think Tomlin is just waiting for McFadden to clearly take the job away from Townsend...I think its smart not handing the right corner spot to McFadden....It keeps him hungry.....

That's what I was sayin, we barely see these guys and Tomlin's sees them upclose everyday. You don't think he sees him? He will start when the season begans Trust! Everybody's getting their playing time starting with the guys that are already proven.

DIESELMAN
08-16-2007, 04:00 PM
I just read that McFadden has been running with the first team defense for the second day in a row. DeShea has been lining up at FS with the 3rd stringers.

BlitzburghNation
08-16-2007, 04:14 PM
I just read that McFadden has been running with the first team defense for the second day in a row. DeShea has been lining up at FS with the 3rd stringers.

Heard on sirius that Mcfadden passed up Deshea for position,,,,,,,
Guess we'll see if he can keep it through pre-season "huh" :tt02:

K Train
08-16-2007, 04:17 PM
told you guys lol

DIESELMAN
08-16-2007, 04:21 PM
told you guys lol
****....he was runnin with the 1st team when this thread was posted...lol

TEEMONT
08-16-2007, 05:17 PM
I saw this in the PG too. He will be starting the next game. Although that doesn't mean he is the starter yet. I do like DeShea as a nickel-back though. He just seems to be tougher and more accustomed to blitzing than McFadden.

Iron City South
08-16-2007, 06:42 PM
B-Mac just needs to prove that he can be an emotionally mature player. He made a few bonehead mistakes last year as a result of being too emotional.

If he gets that under control .... look out.

Mike Tomlin
08-16-2007, 07:59 PM
I hate to TooT my own horn but...................TOOT! LOL!

SteelerSteve
08-17-2007, 03:05 AM
Always good to see competition for roster spots.:2cents:

NOVA STEELERS
08-17-2007, 01:57 PM
McFadden has to keep his head up and drive thru every tackle and go to the ball and he will be in there soon enough...........