PDA

View Full Version : Tomlin says Roethlisberger may play more against Washington

AZ_Steeler
08-14-2007, 12:35 PM
Link to Story (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?section=nfl&id=2973386&campaign=rsssrch&source=pittsburgh+steelers)

LATROBE, Pa. -- Ben Roethlisberger hopes to play more against Washington on Saturday night than the three series he got during the Pittsburgh Steelers' first two exhibition games.

Coach Mike Tomlin's reaction to his quarterback's lobbying for more on-field time? He might get it.

"That would be a good assumption, but we're going to keep him guessing," Tomlin said Monday following the Steelers' first practice since losing to Green Bay 13-9 Saturday. "We'll let him know later in the week."

Roethlisberger led a six-play, 80-yard touchdown drive in the Aug. 5 Hall of Fame game against New Orleans, but was pulled after two unsuccessful drives Saturday against Green Bay. The first ended with Roethlisberger losing a fumble as he was sacked, and the other after three plays and a punt.

More time is ok, it's an injury that concerns me especially with all the shifting of the line going on now. Makes Ben more vulnerable to big hits if you ask me :dunno:

Mike Tomlin
08-14-2007, 03:02 PM
At the same you got to let him play a little more some he can get more in game mode. Like knowing his recievers abilitys in the game more. Injuries happen this is football, he could go out there the first play and get hurt. I was always taught that if you worried about getting hurt while playing ...you'll get hurt. Plus we had an extra preseason game ,why not stay ahead of everyone else. I think it would be good for Ben to get more time with the different O-lines. Main reason is he could help decide who should start by saying who he feels more comfortable protecting him.