PDA

View Full Version : Steelers' Big Ben ready for more no-huddle

AZ_Steeler
08-14-2007, 12:31 PM
Link to Story (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/rss/s_522048.html)

Ben Roethlisberger said he and the rest of the starters could have done a better job with the no-huddle offense the Steelers unveiled Saturday night.

One thing that will help them run it more smoothly, Roethlisberger said, is simply more of an opportunity to do so.

After playing a total of three series in the Steelers' first two preseason games, Roethlisberger said he expects to get more playing time Saturday when the Steelers visit the Washington Redskins for an 8 p.m. game.

"I would assume a little more," the quarterback said when asked how much time he'll get. "Maybe a quarter."

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin wouldn't commit to how much action Roethlisberger would see against the Redskins.

"We'll let him know later in the week," Tomlin said Monday after practice "We're going to keep him guessing in regards to that."

One thing that Roethlisberger doesn't have to guess about is his expanded role in the offense.

The no-huddle offense will allow Roethlisberger to call more of his own plays, and Tomlin has said the Steelers will use it to change the pace of games.

Roethlisberger said the Steelers have six no-huddle packages as opposed to the four they had last season. They only used two of those packages in Saturday's 13-9 loss to the Green Bay Packers at Heinz Field.

"I think there will be a lot of no-huddle (this season)," said Roethlisberger, who played two series against the Packers.
I'm a big fan of the no-huddle because it not only throws a defense off balance it also helps get the offense clicking. I want to see more of it too! :D

Mike Tomlin
08-14-2007, 03:04 PM
Link to Story (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/rss/s_522048.html)

I'm a big fan of the no-huddle because it not only throws a defense off balance it also helps get the offense clicking. I want to see more of it too! :D

Sounds good to me!

BlitzburghRockCity
08-14-2007, 09:00 PM
Everytime we ran the no huddle last year we had success with it. In the past we only ever used it when we were behind by a big margin.

I can remember players saying how they'd practice the no huddle every week but when it Sunday came it was rarely used and nobody could ever figure out why since it was so effective. If you use it in key situations or just off and on through the game it can be deadly. You can't run it all the time or teams will figure you out and keep pace with you but when it's run correctly you can dominate a defense and wear them out quick.

Black@Gold Forever32
08-14-2007, 09:12 PM
Everytime we ran the no huddle last year we had success with it. In the past we only ever used it when we were behind by a big margin.

I can remember players saying how they'd practice the no huddle every week but when it Sunday came it was rarely used and nobody could ever figure out why since it was so effective. If you use it in key situations or just off and on through the game it can be deadly. You can't run it all the time or teams will figure you out and keep pace with you but when it's run correctly you can dominate a defense and wear them out quick.

I think running the no huddle would be perfect against the Rat Birds defense....So they can't tee off on Ben like they did last year.......

BlitzburghRockCity
08-14-2007, 09:14 PM
That's exactly right, especially with the protection problems we had last year against the ratbirds and nearly everyone else; the no huddle really helps take the heat off the QB and keeps an aggressive defense like the ratbirds and others we face every year like the bengals too, off balance as you mentioned.

Black@Gold Forever32
08-14-2007, 09:17 PM
That's exactly right, especially with the protection problems we had last year against the ratbirds and nearly everyone else; the no huddle really helps take the heat off the QB and keeps an aggressive defense like the ratbirds and others we face every year like the bengals too, off balance as you mentioned.

Plus to if Ben is having protection problems...I think this new offense period will let Ben get rid of the ball quicker.....He can change his protection and switch to his hot routes now.....

BlitzburghRockCity
08-14-2007, 09:28 PM
That's one thing Im interested and excited to see with Ben, is how well he'll handle the responsibility of calling and changes plays on the fly similar to what Manning does for the Colts. If Ben can master that he's going to take his game to a whole new level and be able to avoid pressure a lot more not to mention improving his release time.

Captcoolhand
08-14-2007, 09:36 PM
Plus to if Ben is having protection problems...I think this new offense period will let Ben get rid of the ball quicker.....He can change his protection and switch to his hot routes now.....Maybe even turn on his QB Vision and Percision Passing too!
:lol:

Black@Gold Forever32
08-14-2007, 09:40 PM
:lol:

I was being serious but whatever.....:dunno: I catch the Madden joke......But this year Ben can change his protections and change plays if he notices something he doesn't like before the play....Thats were his hot route and such would come into play....

BlitzburghRockCity
08-14-2007, 10:11 PM
Im also anxious to see how much the WR's and TE's will be on the same page with Ben and this new found power that he'll have at the line. How fast will it take them in game situations to react to what Ben is doing and cut off the route or just make sure in general that they pay attention and keep the plays straight in their own head so they don't think the play goes one way when it really goes another. That happens alot with new offenses being installed; fortunately ours isn't a new offense but rather a scaled down one with more possibilities.

Captcoolhand
08-14-2007, 10:15 PM
I was being serious but whatever.....:dunno: I catch the Madden joke......But this year Ben can change his protections and change plays if he notices something he doesn't like before the play....Thats were his hot route and such would come into play....As long as you know i was joking:bigthumb::lol:
Ya that is what 's going to be nice, Seeing Ben calling audibles when he see fit like Manning does ALLthe time. :yesnod:
Something that Cowher would never let him do.:cursin:

Captcoolhand
08-14-2007, 10:26 PM
Hey that would Be a good Idea for AZ.....Somebody.
To design a program (Like a game) of playbooks that Players could actually use to learn more terminology and routes better and quicker, because they learn them off the program.

NOVA STEELERS
08-17-2007, 12:23 PM
Looking forward to seeing Ben take charge and run the no huddle....... Will be nice to see him pick apart defenses.....