PDA

View Full Version : Timmons remains a solitary Steeler

Captcoolhand
08-12-2007, 10:55 PM
The loneliest Steeler stood out like a neon sign during Saturday night's exhibition game against Green Bay.While other players milled along the sideline, exchanging strategy and pleasantries with teammates and coaches, rookie linebacker Lawrence Timmons stood mostly alone.

It's difficult to feel sorry for Timmons, who agreed to a five-year contract worth as much as $15 million on the eve of training camp but hasn't played since July 26 because of injury. However, it looks like Timmons could use a friend.
Not to say Timmons, the No. 15 pick in the draft, isn't popular with his new teammates, but during one second-half sighting he was seen sitting next to a couple of kickers.
And you know what coaches say about kickers, who are considered necessary evils rather than football players.
Fellow linebacker LaMarr Woodley, a second-round pick, chatted briefly with Timmons. Rookies, of course, have to stick together.

Timmons' nagging groin injury is why he spent a lot of time walking by himself Saturday night.
An injured football player is a lonely player. And an injured first-round draft pick who's a lock to make the team without having to prove himself is downright invisible.

Of course, Timmons can change everyone's opinion when he finally re-takes the field and starts making some plays.
Until then, he will continue to have his skeptics, doubters who question his ability to distinguish between pain and injury.

Please don't call Timmons a bust. It's much too early for that.
Do call him an incredibly unfortunate kid who never missed a game in high school or college because of injury who suddenly can't stay healthy.

Timmons shouldn't be branded a failure until he's been pancaked at least a dozen times and has proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that he's terrible in pass coverage.

The issue isn't whether Timmons can play. In time, he will make his mark.

Unfortunately, he hasn't been able to stay on the field long enough to show what he can do.
Timmons, a quiet type who doesn't like conveying his feelings to the media, probably didn't mind walking alone on the sideline during the Steelers' 13-9 loss.

"I don't want to speculate what maybe he's going through mentally," coach Mike Tomlin said Thursday.
Here's speculating that Timmons, who refuses to speak with reporters about the injury, will develop a chip on his shoulder the size of Heinz Field attempting to prove his critics wrong.
But first he needs a clean bill of health.
I know it's early to say, But does anyone get a feeling that He's really not wanting to be here. :scratch: :dunno:

K Train
08-12-2007, 11:00 PM
not at all, hes dying to play....he didnt go through combines and prodays to sit

BlitzburghRockCity
08-12-2007, 11:02 PM
I don't think it's a matter of him not wanting to be here. Im sure he wants nothing more than to be doing what Lamarr has been ever since the mini camps started but when you're hurt there's nothing you can do but wait and rehab. It's difficult for rookies especially because they are already new to the team, the spotlight is on them when they are high round picks, and expectations for contributing grow every time they take the field.

Timmons needs to get healthy and get on the field because he's losing valuable experience every time there is a practice that he can't participate in. At this point even if he starts playing right now he's lost a lot of time and probably won't start to get into real football shape and be a consistent contributor until atleast a month into the regular season.

Mike Tomlin
08-12-2007, 11:11 PM
I'm not worried about Timmons because when he finally does get on the field they'll see that he was well worth the pick. I really hopes he hits the field for at least the last 2 preseason games. I think that would be enough time for him to feel what it's like to play against other nfl talent and apply what he's been watching and learning. Luckily we had an extra preseason game so that bought him some time.

------------------------------------------------------------
[AutoMerged Post Below]
------------------------------------------------------------
Also the reason it seems like no one was talking to him is because they were going over strategies, correcting mistakes, etc. That's what guys that are actually playing in a game do. What could Timmons contribute to the conversation?

Black@Gold Forever32
08-12-2007, 11:21 PM
I think Timmons still can learn from asking other players questions....So thats how he can contribute and still be part of the team....But he might be just the quiet/soft spoken type....Its way to early to make any predictions about Timmons as a player or if he wants to be here...The main thing he is healthy and has the ok from doctors to start practicing soon....So lets just wait and see what happens......

BlitzburghRockCity
08-12-2007, 11:23 PM
He's learning while he's on the sidelines and doing what he can but you can't simulate game situations in practice and there's no substitute for experience. He's a smart kid and he'll catch on quickly once he gets the chance to play; I just hope it's sooner rather than later.

Captcoolhand
08-12-2007, 11:39 PM
He's learning while he's on the sidelines and doing what he can but you can't simulate game situations in practice and there's no substitute for experience. He's a smart kid and he'll catch on quickly once he gets the chance to play; I just hope it's sooner rather than later.
What's he learning, how to kick footballs...:dunno: :lol:

Ya, he might be a rookie but he needs to be in the thick of things.Get known and know the players. A guys personality can go along ways for a person.:yesnod:

BRICKTOWN BEAST
08-13-2007, 02:30 PM
That was a GREAT ARTICLE:bigthumb:. I still think its funny his only friends are Kickers:lol:. But everyone wants to see him play so bad. But when he does all the build up anciuosness(if thats a word) and people calling him a bust before he ever touched a football can be the most explosive linebacker and people will watch with thier mouths wide open.:tt02:

BlackGold4vr
08-13-2007, 02:49 PM
I know it's early to say, But does anyone get a feeling that He's really not wanting to be here.

not at all, hes dying to play....he didnt go through combines and prodays to sit

:plus1:

I don't get that feeling at all. Nobody wants to play worse than Timmons. If he comes back too soon he could jeopardize his entire season. Not to mention if he comes back and he can't perform at 100% people will be quick to label him a bust. I think he will be a great player........patience.......

Stlrs4Life
08-13-2007, 04:34 PM
I have no idea on how you read that he doesn't want to be here? Sounds like to me he is a little upset with himself.

Captcoolhand
08-13-2007, 05:06 PM
I have no idea on how you read that he doesn't want to be here? Sounds like to me he is a little upset with himself.
Never said that he didn't, just seems like he doesn't.

Come on, The Guy doesn't talk much to players, doesn't like to talk to Media, I havn't been to Camp so Don't know if he even trys to get in with the Fans.:dunno: And when you do hear about him, you get storys like "He's sitting with the Kickers." :scratch:

I don't know, I was just asking. Being that I never did much Care for the Pick, I should keep my opinions to myself...lol :2cents:

manofsteel
08-13-2007, 06:00 PM
I think hes Pissed that Woodlys eating his lunch. And he probalby wants to show the other guys that he can do what Woodley doing and maybe more.

SteelerSal
08-13-2007, 06:24 PM
I know he is hurt and wishes he can play, BUT, screw sitting by the kickers and get your *** over by the linebackers coach and learn what the "F" the guy taking his spot is doing in different defensive schemes!! That what you make the 1st round $$$$ to do. Wake up, Timmons and realise that the NFL is'nt just about being physically ready to play but also mentally ready and your not gonna get any smarter sitting next to a guy who posed for his 2007 picture with a bad case of "bed head".

SteelerSteve
08-13-2007, 07:54 PM
I know he is hurt and wishes he can play, BUT, screw sitting by the kickers and get your *** over by the linebackers coach and learn what the "F" the guy taking his spot is doing in different defensive schemes!! That what you make the 1st round $$$$ to do. Wake up, Timmons and realise that the NFL is'nt just about being physically ready to play but also mentally ready and your not gonna get any smarter sitting next to a guy who posed for his 2007 picture with a bad case of "bed head".:lol: Bad case of bed head is an understatement, He lookes more like he stuck a fork in his toaster:lol:
I feel bad for timmons right now and I'm sure its kinda hard to go and be all social with the other players when your not on the field contributing. I think as soon as hes able to get on the field a big play will be all he needs to break the ice and be welcomed into the steeler family:tt02:

DIESELMAN
08-13-2007, 08:23 PM
He definitely does not need to be sitting with the kickers, unless he's sitting next to Sep, who might be giving him sound advice on the LB spot. I haven't given up on Timmons, he needs to be 100% before he gets back on the field, lots of you guys are right, he needs to be talking it up with the D coaches and other backers.

Mike Tomlin
08-13-2007, 10:20 PM
Well he's finally back on the field.

BlackGold4vr
08-13-2007, 10:54 PM
He definitely does not need to be sitting with the kickers, unless he's sitting next to Sep, who might be giving him sound advice on the LB spot. I haven't given up on Timmons, he needs to be 100% before he gets back on the field, lots of you guys are right, he needs to be talking it up with the D coaches and other backers.

Being around military Diesel you know that a new guy in a unit doesn't truly become part of the unit until they eat some dirt and share in some adversity with the unit. This is the same thing for Timmons. Until he gets in there and mixes it up and goes to "war" so to speak with his teamates, he will feel like an outsider. I am confident that after he does that he will quickly find acknowledgement and acceptance from his teamates. Respect for warriors isn't given, its earned! :helmet:

DIESELMAN
08-13-2007, 11:56 PM
Being around military Diesel you know that a new guy in a unit doesn't truly become part of the unit until they eat some dirt and share in some adversity with the unit. This is the same thing for Timmons. Until he gets in there and mixes it up and goes to "war" so to speak with his teamates, he will feel like an outsider. I am confident that after he does that he will quickly find acknowledgement and acceptance from his teamates. Respect for warriors isn't given, its earned! :helmet:
Very true, until he gets in there to play and mix it up with everyone else, he will feel and be treated like an outsider, good point :bigthumb:

Prosdo
08-14-2007, 12:03 AM
Steelers' Timmons returns to practice

Monday, August 13, 2007
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Rookie linebacker Lawrence Timmons, the Steelers' first-round draft pick, practiced this afternoon for the first time since he injured his groin in the the first week of training camp.

Timmons had missed every practice since July 27, as well as the Steelers' first two preseason games.

Link:http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07225/809173-66.stm

Very glad to hear this.

SteelerSteve
08-14-2007, 12:34 AM
Being around military Diesel you know that a new guy in a unit doesn't truly become part of the unit until they eat some dirt and share in some adversity with the unit. This is the same thing for Timmons. Until he gets in there and mixes it up and goes to "war" so to speak with his teamates, he will feel like an outsider. I am confident that after he does that he will quickly find acknowledgement and acceptance from his teamates. Respect for warriors isn't given, its earned! :helmet:Exactly what I've been trying to say