PDA

View Full Version : **Walter Young**

Mike Tomlin
08-12-2007, 11:06 PM
I was saying that we need to see more of this kid. Hell he's 6'4" 220lb how can you not keep this guy after saying that you will spread the offense. Like I said earlier he can make up for almost getting Dewayne Jarrett. He may not have lots of speed but you can't teach size. People say if he was really good then he wouldn't have been on the practice squad those years. You also have to remember we were in the Cowher era then , no receiver stood a chance outside of Hines , Santonio and Cedric.

K Train
08-12-2007, 11:10 PM
i agree with you somewhat about cowher holding people back and not giving fair chances but im not sure about young...hes ok, but i dont know if hes more than that

Prosdo
08-12-2007, 11:11 PM
He looked good. I would like to see more of Dallas Baker though. Haven't seen much from him.

Koopa
08-12-2007, 11:16 PM
i like him, but he's 28 years old, and if you haven't caught on by that age it's pretty safe to say you never will, cause there isn't much potential in him, he is who he is, and that's pretty much a practice squad player.......... i like his size but imo, size in a wr is probably the most overrated thing in football, a lot of the star wrs in the league right now ain't all that tall

i think i rather give dallas baker more of a chance to make the team because he still has potential, and was good in the redzone in college for a national championship team, so he knows how to win

manofsteel
08-12-2007, 11:16 PM
you guys are right I like to call him Conservative Cowher. I know YOung doesnt have speed. He does have though size and a nice long stride. Lets face it though he looked good but only for a few catches at best. I barely even saw Dallas Baker. ANd if Matt Spath misses one more block, or one more tackle someone will have his ***

BlitzburghRockCity
08-12-2007, 11:20 PM
We've made our living on "smurf" sized WR's all during the Cowher era...well smurf sized compared to someone like Plax or Walter Young. I'd like to see Walter finally pan out and make a contribution on the field for us but if not we've got a good group of guys ready to step up.

I will admit I am pulling for him though, he'd be a great weapon for those jump balls in the corner of the endzone or on the sidelines.

Mike Tomlin
08-12-2007, 11:21 PM
Not only does he have size but he uses that size to his advantage unlike Starks lol!. He also blocks by the way with good hands. Did anyone see that blockon special teams when Reid fumbled . I understand that he's 28 but it's not like were drafting the guy we always had him and never used him. I say let take advantage of this cheap salary and he hasn't had much contact in the last few years he should have plenty of years in him. It's not like he's a RB. I liked the way he hit that D-lineman on that play last week.

K Train
08-12-2007, 11:23 PM
i like him, but he's 28 years old, and if you haven't caught on by that age it's pretty safe to say you never will, cause there isn't much potential in him, he is who he is, and that's pretty much a practice squad player.......... i like his size but imo, size in a wr is probably the most overrated thing in football, a lot of the star wrs in the league right now ain't all that tall

i think i rather give dallas baker more of a chance to make the team because he still has potential, and was good in the redzone in college for a national championship team, so he knows how to win
thank you....

Mike Tomlin
08-12-2007, 11:25 PM
Of course it's overrated if you don't use it to your advantage.

K Train
08-12-2007, 11:27 PM
thats why we have heath

Mike Tomlin
08-12-2007, 11:30 PM
Thats a plus. having a guy like Walter also saves you time in the pocket because the balls you throw to him don't have to be perfect just reachable.

GoBenGo
08-13-2007, 11:30 AM
We've made our living on "smurf" sized WR's all during the Cowher era...well smurf sized compared to someone like Plax or Walter Young. I'd like to see Walter finally pan out and make a contribution on the field for us but if not we've got a good group of guys ready to step up.

I will admit I am pulling for him though, he'd be a great weapon for those jump balls in the corner of the endzone or on the sidelines.
:clap::clap::clap:
Totally agree! Thought Plax was going to be THAT guy a few years back but he never gelled. I like what I have seen so far in Young, Big athletic, and seems to have good hands. We haven't had that BIG "go to " guy, other than sporatic use of TE's and the toughest man in the universe ::hail: Mr Hines Ward. I think Young will not only be a asset, but also open up ops for our current TE corps( which I am waiting patiently:popcorn:to see get let loose. I like when we can get vertical. Pumps up the Rungame!

Do you think Washington stays? He had a tough miss last night, again, and the announcer seemed to think he gave up on the route a bit.

BRICKTOWN BEAST
08-13-2007, 02:31 PM
I always liked at least one big reciever because Hines can be the short yard posseion reciever and than a big WR as a deep threat Look how well that worked a couple years ago with a buress and a rookie QB 15-1 anybody? but Holmes and Ried can be a deep threats with thier speed but I just would like at least 1 6-3 6-4 reciever for those jump balls and 60 yard bombs.

But I would like to see what Baker can do but frow what Iv've seen of Walter Young the past couple of games he's looking good.

K Train
08-13-2007, 09:29 PM
the thing is, you say tall equals deep threat....not true, young is slow as ****....holmes is a deep threat cause of speed. Walter young is not a deep threat, not all tall WRs can be randy moss or calvin johnson

SteelerSteve
08-13-2007, 09:37 PM
the thing is, you say tall equals deep threat....not true, young is slow as shiat....holmes is a deep threat cause of speed. Walter young is not a deep threat, not all tall WRs can be randy moss or calvin johnson Thats totally right, If young contributes it wont be in the deep passing game, most likely he'll be a possesion reciever but probably be used more to block:2cents:

Black@Gold Forever32
08-13-2007, 09:40 PM
Thats totally right, If young contributes it wont be in the deep passing game, most likely he'll be a possesion reciever but probably be used more to block:2cents:

Yes I see Young if he makes the team as the possesion type or redzone target.....If anybody thinks Young can be a consistent deep threat....Look at his speed....He isn't very fast.....the Oline would have to hold their blocks forever for Young to get down the field...:lol:

steelcitysfinestXL
08-14-2007, 12:33 PM
This is being made out to be WAY too big of an issue... he will be at best a #6 and thats if we keep 6 wideouts!!! I like him because of his height, hands and ability to play SP's. If we DO keep six i'd like to see Ward, Homles, Wilson, Reid, Washington and either Baker or Young. I like having a tall guy... the thing about these to guys that NOBODY has mentioned (that i have seen atleast) is that IF they make the team, it will be as a #6... so they dont have to be THE GUY!!! They can be situational ex: Goal-line, undersized opposing DB core and SP's. If you have a guy like Moss, Plex, Gates, Gonzales who is over 6'3- 6'4 and has leaping ability, I dont care who you put at corner its a mis-match. Ike Taylor was made to look like a JV player by Walker last season twice in the same game on fade routes. Why? Beacuse when it came down to it, Walker just out reached Taylor!! Size creates match up problems!!!!

Black@Gold Forever32
08-14-2007, 12:40 PM
I did mention Young as a red zone target....I also agree this was made out to be too big of an issue....You're right at best Young,Baker will be the 6th WR at best and thats if Tomlin keeps 6......

steelcitysfinestXL
08-14-2007, 12:46 PM
sorry forever32... i was trying to say i didnt see anyone talking about this guy being a #6 and he didnt have to be the "go-to-guy" like most big men are ie: Moss, Burress, Owens, Walker... i did see the mention of him being a Redzone threat though and i agree this is only IF Mike wants 6 WRs!!!

------------------------------------------------------------
[AutoMerged Post Below]
------------------------------------------------------------
we're talkin a number six here... no big contract, mostly a ST'er, who might give you 20+ catches a this year if we DO decide to go more 4 wide. But when its first and goal from the 7, you have the option of putting one of these guys split wide to the left, trips right, single back/trips formation. The fade route is right now a 50/50 toss up. If thrown right (at the back Pylon) its the safest pass you can make... TD or incomplete. So what if the guy is a number six.. and only gives you 17 catches this season... 3-5 of them might be for the EASIEST TD's of the year. I hope we can find a way to keep which everyguy has the MOST to offer overall as a player and right now that looks like Young!!!!

Mike Tomlin
08-14-2007, 01:25 PM
I guess people thought that I meant he was the number 1 receiver. I like Walter Young because obviously he'll be guarded by the teams 4th or 5th Cb he would eat them alive. He can just man handle any corner and you can't jam his huge *** on the line.He's going to do great in the red zone and with our tight ends. Who do you cover?

K Train
08-14-2007, 06:23 PM
he isnt gonna manhandle any corner, most starting corners would make young their lady

Mike Tomlin
08-14-2007, 06:52 PM
Like who?

K Train
08-14-2007, 06:59 PM
any decent corner lol, mathis would destroy young at the line and then have lockdown coverage on him all the way down the field lol, you guys are way to high on this dude lol....he was alright the other night but damn

Mike Tomlin
08-14-2007, 10:01 PM
I'm not saying he the best receiver in the league but for what kind of offense we will run this guy could be a big weapon. His size and hands will create too many mismatches. Mathis wouldn't get the chance to cover him because he will be busy with Holmes or Ward. Most cases we wouldn't even know the guy that would be covering him. I'll take him in that match up anyday. One on one i'd take him over damn near any corner just throw it high. Who can stop him one on one fade in the endzone. Thats why I don't understand Jacksonville , they don't take advantage of the talent they have.