PDA

View Full Version : Starks Strikes out again

manofsteel
08-12-2007, 05:16 PM
After Last nights sorry performance of Max Starks ( giving up two sacks to give him a total of three ) he should be ashamed to even be smiling on T.V..

Again Max looked confused at times and easily overwhelmed. Granted hes playing on the left side where he hasnt played for three years he still looks like a bum. A guy that big and strong is no good if he cant play football. He looked like he was lacking in technique and dosent seem like he has the necessary skill to play the O lines mose tough positon. By not being secure on the left side. ( Bens Blind Spot) You can bet your bottom dollar it wont help Ben anymore this year knowing that a jacka$$ like Starks is protecting his backside. With Cappizzi and Colon looking better everyday Starks should start playing better on film to showcase to other teams , if he can. Should Starks start this season it will be because either he gets it together before the season starts, if every other O lineman is hurt, or if he goes back to his natural right position. Which IM still not all the way comfortable with that. ANd if Tomlin starts Starks over another more skillfull back than that will be his first big Head Coaching Mistake.:dunno::badday::thumbdown1:

Prosdo
08-12-2007, 05:19 PM
I have to agree. Max Starks is a huge guy and can't seem to block a defender for more than 2 seconds if that. I would love to see one of these young guys take the job away from Max. I think next year you will see us acquire O-linemen through FA or the draft.

K Train
08-12-2007, 07:10 PM
just cause he was playing on the left last night doesnt mean hes slated to play there at all this year

TEEMONT
08-12-2007, 07:17 PM
woah woah....I obviously didnt watch the game (not available here and I was sflying) WTF is Starks doing playin LT?

K Train
08-12-2007, 07:23 PM
tomlin was high

TEEMONT
08-12-2007, 07:32 PM
tomlin was high

****...if thats the case I want some of what he is smokin

Prosdo
08-12-2007, 07:40 PM
I guess he was shuffling the line around to see what he could do. Hell Max Starks can barely play at right let alone left. lol

Black@Gold Forever32
08-12-2007, 08:06 PM
woah woah....I obviously didnt watch the game (not available here and I was sflying) WTF is Starks doing playin LT?

Smith started at LT and Colon started at RT....Then when Smith left the game Starks replaced him at LT....Tomlin just wanted to see how Starks could perform at LT just in case Smith ever got hurt for a serious amount of time...

Hell Starks has been average at best at RT since being in the NFL......So we all know he can't play LT...lol....He just isn't athletic enough and has poor footwork to be a LT.....

DIESELMAN
08-12-2007, 08:29 PM
A man of his size and strength should be king of the hill in the trenches, we've been saying for a while IF, IF, IF he gets it together...looks like he just doesn't get it, maybe the rest of the OL needs to have a blanket party on his ***. :banana:

BlackGold4vr
08-12-2007, 08:40 PM
Colon will win the starting right tackle job outright and before the pre-season is over Jason Capizzi might pass Starks on the depth chart if someone goes down. Game film don't lie and Coach Tomlin cannot be happy with what he sees from Starks. Worst part was he wasn't even getting pushed around by Green Bay's first string players, that was 2nd and 3rd stringers making Starks look bad! Just pitiful if you asked me. :scratch:

DIESELMAN
08-12-2007, 08:50 PM
With this extra preseason game, its a definite advantage for Tomlin to evaluate, especially our bigger weakness, the OL. Mahan has got the C spot secured, if the rest of the guys keep pushing each other, I don't give a **** what happens to Starks. :banana: Capizzi is a definite must have on the 53 man roster. :bigthumb:

BlitzburghRockCity
08-12-2007, 09:08 PM
Starks is a good run blocking, mauler type of tackle. If you want to run behind him he's great for that...just let him line up and then run people over but his pass blocking all of last year was suspect at best and this year so far he hasn't shown much in game situations. From what I heard he was having a good camp but since the preseason games started he's dropped off considerably. We spent a high draft pick on him and I was really hoping he'd pan out. Looks like, at this point atleast, the Rooney's were right to not sign him to a big deal last year.

Mike Tomlin
08-12-2007, 09:14 PM
I'm thinking maybe Tomlin is giving Starks time at LT so he can back up both positions. It's obvious that Colon can ,but he might take the RT spot. Who wouldn't want Starks as a Backup.

BlitzburghRockCity
08-12-2007, 09:17 PM
The Steelers have always like and preferred to have versatile lineman. Everybody on the OL in the past Cowher era has either played another position on the OL with us or with their previous team. When it comes to the OL you have to have guys that change up positions on the fly if need be and if Starks can't handle it then that's yet another strike against him. Obviously it does take some time to learn the nuances of each position but still he needs to step it up.

Mike Tomlin
08-12-2007, 09:21 PM
I'm sorry Starks just can't slide his feet well enough to stop people from running around him. He's not being over powered he just can't move well enough to stop people from blitzing off of his shoulder.

manofsteel
08-12-2007, 10:13 PM
Thats what im saying he has no tecnique to his game. He cants slide on his feet and has trouble picking up on double teams. Sometimes peple come through untouched on his side. I never thought he was gonna start on the left side. I just sure as hell hope Marvel Smith doesnt get hurt for Bens sake. I really do think though that Big Wille Colon will take Starks job by the end of Pre Season

K Train
08-12-2007, 10:16 PM
he just gonna be known as the huge *** dude when his careers over

BlackGold4vr
08-13-2007, 11:40 AM
he just gonna be known as the huge *** dude when his careers over

http://media3.steelers.com/MediaContent/2007/08/11/18/07_GB_2_79792.jpg

Here is what Starks does best.........observe his QB getting crushed by the defender he was supposed to block. :clap:

SteelersWoman
08-13-2007, 01:56 PM
I was COMPLETELY embarrassed by Max's "performance" at LT--and he should be too.

They should make him watch film of guys half his size owning him, until it lights a fire so big under his butt that he won't EVER forget it.

And I say "owning", because yes, while there were some that just got around him--there were also some plays where they just had their way with him too. They shoved him around like he was a rag doll.

Stlrs4Life
08-13-2007, 04:54 PM
I guess he was shuffling the line around to see what he could do. Hell Max Starks can barely play at right let alone left. lol

That's for sure!

DBR96A
08-14-2007, 12:54 AM
Lousy footwork + high center of gravity = DISPENSIBLE

SteelerSteve
08-14-2007, 01:00 AM
I say we try to talk Tarik Glenn or Will Shields out of retirement.:greengrin: