PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on the Steeler/Packer game...

BlitzburghRockCity
08-11-2007, 11:49 PM
Woodley is a monster ! This kid is already learning to play well in coverage as well as against the run and in the pass rush.

D-Sep missed a couple inside the 20 but did plant one at the 11. He's only going to continue to get better. He had a 49.8 yd average tonight !

Russel had 9 carries for 56 yds, if he keeps this up he'll cement his spot on the team.

Walter Young is looking good in preseason and is having a great camp, Im definitely pulling for him. That 6'4" frame is a huge weapon for us if he continues to pan out this year.

Ben and Charlie both looked good, well except for Ben's fumble but overall you have to pleased with how they're both doing this year.

Anthony Madison had 8 tackles tonight and played pretty well.

Im not sure we sorted anything else out on the OL yet but one thing is for sure, Colon's chances to nail down that RT spot are definitely alive and well !

TampaSteelGirl
08-11-2007, 11:56 PM
I was happy to see Nate hold onto the ball and make some great plays, Santonio looked good as well!

Not as impressed with Najai this game...I can't remember who #33 is but what the hell is he thinking running right into a big bunch of guys and getting no yardage when around them was clear..

I wasn't as impressed with our defense tonight. St. Pierre wasn't as good this week as last but our O-line needed some work.

Can't believe Green Bay beat us! DAMN!! We looked like a different team this week!!!

K Train
08-12-2007, 12:04 AM
BSP has always sucked....dont put to much into this game, tomlin really mixed **** up, the oline was jumbled all night and the starters played very little, keep in mind we have 5 games so this was probably just a break.....especially since BSP saw most the action

steelerfan11
08-12-2007, 12:06 AM
I thought Nate made that catch in the beginning of the game...even if he didn't that was a great effort on his part!

TampaSteelGirl
08-12-2007, 12:09 AM
K-train's post made me feel better. Ihad to be at a bar with some damn cheese heads acting like their team was the ****!! I wanted to say "Well if our 2nd string QB was playing all game, we'd be doing better too!" I'm too old to bicker plus he was wasted and i'm not...losing battle! Big difference from this week and last week, now I see why. Thanks K-train!!!

steelerfan11
08-12-2007, 12:09 AM
Max Starks did horrible at left tackle...but thats ok.. this is what preseason games are for..

steelerfan11
08-12-2007, 12:12 AM
TampaSteelGirl #33 is Kevan Barlow. (If I remember correctly)

BlitzburghRockCity
08-12-2007, 12:12 AM
When the OL sucks, the whole offense struggles. This is what the preseason is for though to see who's going to step up and who's going to get booted. Najeh will continue to get the brunt of the work with the first team I would imagine so the backup job to Willie is his to lose but I do like what Russel is doing, this kid is turning some heads big time.

SteelerSteve
08-12-2007, 12:13 AM
Yeah I guess its good to work the kinks out and focus mainly on how the starters do

TampaSteelGirl
08-12-2007, 12:15 AM
QUOTE=steelerfan11;132679]TampaSteelGirl #33 is Kevan Barlow. (If I remember correctly)[/QUOTE]

Thank you..I couldnt remember his name...:greengrin:

K Train
08-12-2007, 12:15 AM
hes the one that sucks ***

TampaSteelGirl
08-12-2007, 12:17 AM
hes the one that sucks ***

OMG! he was horrible!!!!!:willybs:

BlitzburghRockCity
08-12-2007, 12:17 AM
and should be the first one gone when cut time comes.

Black@Gold Forever32
08-12-2007, 12:28 AM
Woodley is a monster ! This kid is already learning to play well in coverage as well as against the run and in the pass rush.

D-Sep missed a couple inside the 20 but did plant one at the 11. He's only going to continue to get better. He had a 49.8 yd average tonight !

Russel had 9 carries for 56 yds, if he keeps this up he'll cement his spot on the team.

Walter Young is looking good in preseason and is having a great camp, Im definitely pulling for him. That 6'4" frame is a huge weapon for us if he continues to pan out this year.

Ben and Charlie both looked good, well except for Ben's fumble but overall you have to pleased with how they're both doing this year.

Anthony Madison had 8 tackles tonight and played pretty well.

Im not sure we sorted anything else out on the OL yet but one thing is for sure, Colon's chances to nail down that RT spot are definitely alive and well !

Yes Woodley is going to be a beast.......He excites me...No not in a gay way...:lol:

Ok D-Sep I'm saying it now.....Pro Bowl.....

Gary Russell is a player.....I think he has made the team already....If he is cut I might fly to the Burgh and kick Tomlins *** myself...lol By Barlow and cut Haynes to.....lol

Its a sad to see young play well and know he is going to get cut.....I think its safe to say that Ward,Holmes,Wilson,Washington and Reid make this team...Thats 5 WRs there....Wonder if they keep 6? Then there might be a spot for Young or Baker.....But so far Young has played well.....

Yes the offense looks really exciting.......Ben should have a great year.....We all know Willie will have a big year....We should see many big plays from the WRs and hopefully the TEs.....

God I hope Colon starts at RT.....Starks sucks donkey balls....:lol:

Koopa
08-12-2007, 12:30 AM
my thoughts:

barlow is a bum and needs to die lol

d-sep is a ****ing monster lol 5 punts, 3 were inside the 20, you can't expect them all to go inside the 20......and he punted a 59 yarder

woodley so far is are best pick this draft, he's learning very quick which is good, cause it's only a matter of time before james "china doll" harrison breaks

our defense is gonna be bad ***, our scrubs sucked ***, but our first teamers were getting off the field quick and that's what you want

gay seemed to have another good game had a sack, i stopped listening at half time so i don't know much lol...but he had 2 tackles and 4 assist

gary russell with back to back good games, sure it's against scrubs but at least he's showing he's consistent

bsp needs to die too, damn he's horrible

batch is a bum in the redzone, i said he was last year and hte year before, and it's still the same, he's very good back up, and very good when he's got a lot of field ahead of him, but when he's in the redzone he turns gay and chokes lol

reid didn't muff a punt so that's good

i'm disappointed davis didn't get any carries, but i guess they are resting him and has a roster spot on lock

kuhn is still a bum 2 carries 3 yards, cut him with barlow :lol:

dallas baker had 1 catch lol, hopefully he plays more next week, cause he's a draft pick and needs to be on the field, **** walter young he's like 80 years already if he had what it took to be in the nfl he would've made it already stop wasting time on him even though he scored lol

i think holmes will be beastly this year, he only had one catch but it was with 3 ppl around him and it went for 49 yards

so overall i liked what we did in the half that matters, we went up 9-0, should've been 10-0 but reed is a bum and got blocked :lol:, second half doesn't matter it's just evaluated by that time not about winning

BlitzburghRockCity
08-12-2007, 12:32 AM
I was hoping to see more of Dallas Baker tonight too, but since Young got some extra looks tonight hopefully Dallas will get his chances as well. From what I hear he's having a good camp but there's a lot of competition at WR so he's fighting an uphill battle.

Koopa
08-12-2007, 12:33 AM
I was hoping to see more of Dallas Baker tonight too, but since Young got some extra looks tonight hopefully Dallas will get his chances as well. From what I hear he's having a good camp but there's a lot of competition at WR so he's fighting an uphill battle.

walter is 28 years old, there's not a lot of potential in a 28 year old........sure he has a good camp, and good preseason but we need to focus on baker and reid as wrs

steelcurtain09
08-12-2007, 12:37 AM
Its a sad to see young play well and know he is going to get cut.....I think its safe to say that Ward,Holmes,Wilson,Washington and Reid make this team...Thats 5 WRs there....Wonder if they keep 6? Then there might be a spot for Young or Baker.....But so far Young has played well.....

i think tht Young might be able to make the team
either Washington or Reid will be the odd man out

i didnt hear any of Willie's returns but i heard all of Wilsons and he sounded like an able return man
if it comes down to Young or Reid and Wilson is still playin like he is i think Young makes the team

of course if Washington drops anything else hell be gone so that could all be a moot point

either way the one tht is cut is on the practice squad

Black@Gold Forever32
08-12-2007, 12:38 AM
Koopa yes Russell is consistent so far...But he should get carries earlier in the game.....I want to see if he can be the number 2 RB on this team...Screw just making the team...Keep Dookie as the 3rd down back to run screens and to pickup the blitz......I have always thought Dookie was soft for a big RB..He proves it time and time again when he cant conver 3rd and shorts..lol

**** Barlow.....I don't know why Tomlin keeps giving this fag chances?.....Was hoping that Barlow could show something but he is terrible and has **** poor attitude.....Both Russel and Davis should make this team...Bye bye to Barlow,Haynes and Kuhn......

steelcurtain09
08-12-2007, 12:38 AM
walter is 28 years old, there's not a lot of potential in a 28 year old........sure he has a good camp, and good preseason but we need to focus on baker and reid as wrs

ohh tht might have a bigger factor and make young the odd man out in my last post

Koopa
08-12-2007, 12:39 AM

i didnt hear any of Willie's returns but i heard all of Wilsons and he sounded like an able return man
if it comes down to Young or Reid and Wilson is still playin like he is i think Young makes the team

of course if Washington drops anything else hell be gone so that could all be a moot point

no way washington or reid is the odd man out, both have so much more potential then a 28 year old, nate has proven he can hang in the nfl, he just needs to get his head of o his ***, and reid is gonna be our punt returner so he makes the team automatically

Captcoolhand
08-12-2007, 12:41 AM
Ya but what if you both are right and Tomlin's just trying to put a team together so he looks good(prove that he's the man) and then go from there

Black@Gold Forever32
08-12-2007, 12:42 AM

Wilson has stated in the past that he doesn't like to return kicks......So I wouldn't look for Wilson to be the full time return man......So Reid will make the team and don't give up on him yet........He needs to be out there all the time fielding punts.....Noway Young makes the team over Washington......Nate Washington has way more potential then Walter Young.....

K Train
08-12-2007, 12:46 AM
they could keep both, it would be like having morey on the team as another WR, only he would be worth something since reid is a returner and can contribute else ware lol

last year

Ward
Holmes
Wilson
Washington
morey
reid
mays (on and off)

this year

Ward
Holmes
wilson
washinton
reid
young
and i dunno whats going on with baker

but morey was a STer and thats it, reid can do both which is saving a roster spot

BlitzburghNation
08-12-2007, 12:46 AM
Missed the whole game and I'm a little tippsy,,,,,,,,,,, :all_coholic:

Throwed back a few beers & some kama-kazi's ~~~~~~ :rofl:

Like me & deez was talkin & I gave him my opinion on Pre-season,,:scratch:

IMO it sucks & a waste of time,,,,,,,,Think about how much real time our starters play !

All most teams do is risking injury,,,,,,,,Only benefit is filling a couple of unsure
roster spots,,,,,,,,, :popcorn:

Excuse my drunlk *** ~~~~~ typing------:haha:

We are on day 2 of our vacation~~~~~ :bigthumb:
Seaworld is 2mrrw & i'll have picks up in the middle of the week "MAYBE"

BlitzburghRockCity
08-12-2007, 12:48 AM
Ward
Holmes
Wilson
Washington
Reid
Young or Baker

Reid is the primary return man and Baker is also available for that which would give him an edge over Young. Reid has the potential so I think he's still got a roster spot waiting for him no matter what.

Young is going to have to continue to have a great preseason and camp to make this team and even then it's not a guarantee...the same goes for Baker.

Iron City South
08-12-2007, 12:56 AM
Young has been making too much of a statement not to make this team. I think he's our 6th man and Baker goes Practice Squad

BRICKTOWN BEAST
08-12-2007, 01:09 AM
Sepulveda 59 yards thats what I'm talking about

Walter Young has so much potential

Russell Nice Depth with Davis hopefully

Kuhn should try out for FB when Kreider retires

BlackGold4vr
08-12-2007, 01:44 AM
There goes the perfect season! Guess I set the bar a little too high. :hilarious:

floodcitygirl
08-12-2007, 03:14 AM
Learing experience, weeding the field, whatever.......it still sucks when the Steelers lose even if it is preseason. :2cents:

Prosdo
08-12-2007, 04:07 AM
Thoughts for tonight are:

Loved Woodley. Like TG said he is a beast!
Russell looked very good.
Cedrick and Young played well.
Max Starks just plain sucks!

USMCVET
08-12-2007, 11:16 AM
Everyone already touched on my points.

One thing I like about how Tomlin is conducting things. He's making full use of the extra preseason game. He used the 2nd one to get looks at depth players. And I like how he keeps giving Nate chances to step up. And he's giving other guys shots as well.

This game was horrible to listen to. Can't wait to see it on ESPN this evening at 5:00.

I will say this. The 2nd/3rd string defense was going against a 1st rd drafted QB that actually should've been a starter last season. So to hold Rogers to what they did wasn't all that bad.

This OL shuffling is tough to watch and brings back bad memories. It's good for the team with evaluation and experience. I can't wait until the 26th. I think that going into the game against the Eagles we'll be rotating in the guys that are going to be our starters. And our backups should get thouroughly tested by the quality QB depth that the Eagles have.

:banana: Gary Russell :banana: :crossfingers:

SteelerSal
08-12-2007, 11:41 AM
The sad thing about the young recievers trying to get a roster spot is that with St. Pierre behind center hurts their chances of getting a good ball thrown to them.
Baker and Fowler need to be in when Batch is playing to get a chance, Young was and we saw what he did when givin a better QB to throw to him.:2cents:

I also wanted to see Davis get some carries but Tomlin had him play some fullback last night. Davis's versatility will win him a spot on the team. I also beleive he made a special teams tackle.
I also think Kuhn, Barlow and Haynes will be cut.

K Train
08-12-2007, 11:45 AM
lol@ blitzburghnation

steelersgal86
08-12-2007, 11:48 AM
lol@ blitzburghnation

I was thinking the same thing!!!!

BlitzburghRockCity
08-12-2007, 12:15 PM
Young has been making too much of a statement not to make this team. I think he's our 6th man and Baker goes Practice Squad

That's what Im wondering as well. Young has played well so far, Baker didn't get a chance to do much last night so Im hoping he gets his chances next weekend to see what he can do. He's a versatile guy which is key in our offense.

Whichever one makes the team will be tested well through this offseason and we'll have a ready candidate on the PS assuming nobody else snatches them up from us.

TampaSteelGirl
08-12-2007, 12:21 PM
Learing experience, weeding the field, whatever.......it still sucks when the Steelers lose even if it is preseason. :2cents:

I agree!! And especially to Green Bay!!!!!!:banging:

BlackGold4vr
08-12-2007, 12:29 PM
Thoughts for tonight are:

Loved Woodley. Like TG said he is a beast!
Russell looked very good.
Cedrick and Young played well.
Max Starks just plain sucks!

I agree that Starks sucks. He doesn't seem to have the right temperament to ever be a great offensive lineman. Lord knows he has the size and ability, but he lacks that aggressiveness that all great lineman possess. They need to keep Starks for 1 more year because they are thin at tackle. We have an over abundance of guards. From all that I have seen and heard this would be my offensive line in September:

1st line
Marvel Smith - Alan Faneca - Sean Mahan - Chris Kemuatu - Willie Colon

2nd line
Jason Capizzi - Cameron Stephenson - Chucky Okobi - Kendall Simmons - Max Starks

cuts
Darnell Stapleton - Marvin Philip - Trai Essex - Donovon Raiola - Brandon Torrey

Next year draft another guard and tackle to replace the holes left by Faneca and Starks. We are thin at tackle this year and Capizzi has shown a lot of promise. We have too many guards and centers. Sean Mahan is my prediction to start at center and that makes a couple others expendible. I believe Colon will beat Starks out for RT and that will all but seal Max's fate for being re-signed for next year. We know Faneca will be gone next year so we would have one starting position to fill at RG. Stephenson was a beast at the combine as far as strength goes benching 225 over 40 times. Capizzi will be Marvel Smiths successor in a couple years. Looks like Mahan was a huge acquisition for us! Kemuatu also seems to play with more of a chip on his shoulder than Simmons. Simmons ability to play G/C should be enough to keep him around for another year. I would be happy with these 1st and 2nd lines. Also happier about the depth that we are now seeing at RB with Gary Russell behind Davenport and Parker. No doubt in my mind that we will be a force this year in the AFC and a factor come playoff time!

DIESELMAN
08-12-2007, 09:45 PM
I didn't watch or even her the game, so I get my updates from you guys and some other sites. I was reading about Davis, and it sounds llike he's staking his claim on FB and he played really good on ST's. He threw some blocks on returns that sprung Wilson and he was lead blocker that sprung Barlow. With Russell in the game he led the way for him and was pounding LB's. So lets see, he can play ST's, he can run the all, we seen that last week and he can lead block with authority. Keep it up Carey!! :bigthumb: