PDA

View Full Version : ** William Gay**

Mike Tomlin
08-10-2007, 06:31 PM
I think he's going to make an immediate impact on special teams and maybe so dime and nickel. He had a great game Saturday. Check out that hit on Robert Meachem in the signature.:helmet:

steelerfan11
08-10-2007, 07:13 PM
I heard William Gay is just hanging on to a roster spot...

anyone else hear that?

Friday133
08-10-2007, 08:39 PM
I heard William Gay is just hanging on to a roster spot...

anyone else hear that?

Tomlin was quoted today as saying Gay had one game, and he's got a long way to go. Really until they get two more games under their belt its all speculation at this point.

SteelerSal
08-10-2007, 09:31 PM
William Gay will make the team and take Chidi's roster spot, IMO.:2cents:

K Train
08-10-2007, 09:52 PM
William Gay will make the team and take Chidi's roster spot, IMO.:2cents:

thats what i was thinking

dont go all over this guys nuts just yet, he had one game, had one hit that palko hung meachem out for and one pick tha palko threw right to him, it wasnt exactly john elway throwing the passes

Mike Tomlin
08-10-2007, 11:54 PM
I'm going back to his college years teammates and other people call him a playmaker. For some reason he has a sense for big plays. he had 2 in his first preseason game. Not all over his nuts, but for his first game he's livin up to his rep in my eyes anyway. Also if you watch that pick again, he jumped that pass that he picked off.

BB2W
08-11-2007, 12:01 AM
I think he's gonna be a player. He reminds me of a New England corner... must be the name.

SteelerSteve
08-11-2007, 12:35 AM
Well, laying out meachem was a good start:tt02:

GoBenGo
08-11-2007, 03:01 PM
I think he's going to make an immediate impact on special teams and maybe so dime and nickel. He had a great game Saturday. Check out that hit on Robert Meachem in the signature.:helmet:

:clap::clap::clap: I second that!! He was a tough talented college player, had a great senior year, I think he will fit real well!!

Black@Gold Forever32
08-11-2007, 03:42 PM
thats what i was thinking

dont go all over this guys nuts just yet, he had one game, had one hit that palko hung meachem out for and one pick tha palko threw right to him, it wasnt exactly john elway throwing the passes

But he did hold onto the INT......How many potential INTs were dropped the last few years by our DBs?:lol:

Yes Palko did hang Meachem out to dry...But at least Gay can hit......At this point its safe to say that Gay has shown more then Colclough.......:lol:

Prosdo
08-11-2007, 04:04 PM
Chidi is a good player. William Gay we'll have to keep the playing level up to take Chidi's spot. I liked what I saw from Gay and I hope he can make the team.

K Train
08-11-2007, 04:06 PM
chidi actually really sucks, hes good on ST coverage and thats it

Prosdo
08-11-2007, 04:11 PM
He's important to ST though. If William Gay could step up and take it I'd be happy because he's a hard hitter and seems like a determined guy.

Black@Gold Forever32
08-11-2007, 04:22 PM
He's important to ST though. If William Gay could step up and take it I'd be happy because he's a hard hitter and seems like a determined guy.

Very true Chidi is important to special teams...But the big difference now is Tomlin has stated he will play starters on special teams...Were Cowher didn't and thats why Cowher kept players just for the kick coverage units....So its going to be interesting to see if Tomlin keeps guys like Chidi and Kreiwaldt just for special teams......

Mike Tomlin
08-11-2007, 05:37 PM
You gotta keep a guy like Kreiwaldt not only is he good on special teams he did well when he's had to step in ILB. William stays because he can cover.........................Chidi can't.:dunno:

K Train
08-11-2007, 05:40 PM
its ok to keep a career special teamer or 2 if they are nasty on ST, chidi is very good at coverage and its really hard to block for such a littl dude, but if gay steps up on ST and as a backup corner then chidi can go...i dont want to ever see chidi have to cover some one

Mike Tomlin
08-11-2007, 05:56 PM
its ok to keep a career special teamer or 2 if they are nasty on ST, chidi is very good at coverage and its really hard to block for such a littl dude, but if gay steps up on ST and as a backup corner then chidi can go...i dont want to ever see chidi have to cover some one

I saw in a thread today that Gay had moved up to No.1 ST unit. I think he's a lock anyway.He's an Official Steeler :helmet:

Black@Gold Forever32
08-11-2007, 07:02 PM

I agree its ok to keep a special teams ace or two....But just saying I don't know of that will be the case with Coach Tomlin since he has stated that starters will play on the kick coverage units....So I don't know if players that just play special teams but can't play a position will make the team now.....I don't want Chidi to be cut either but I don't think he is lock to make the team now....Hell Cowher cut him at the start of last year which was a bonehead move.....:lol:

TampaSteelGirl
08-11-2007, 11:30 PM
I liked what I saw so far.

ARKIESTEEL
08-20-2007, 07:32 AM
That little dude was all over the ball Saturday I think he can make the team for sure:yesnod:

BlitzburghRockCity
08-20-2007, 08:30 AM
I think it's imperative to have atleast 1 if not 2 ST demons like Chidi and Kriedwalt if it all possible.

Chidi may not be the best DB in the league but our ST were significantly better when he was/is on the field. This is a new regime now so things could change with the personnel on ST in terms of more or less starters depending on what type of roster we have. Nonetheless though Gay has cemented a spot on our team if you ask me and with that respect we should cut Coc and let Gay have his spot.

JB 67
08-20-2007, 12:42 PM
I think Gay has had an Excellent camp he has made plays in all aspects of the game coverage ,sacking the quarterback and being able to lay the wood ie Meacham...He should definitely make the team....I also think CoC had a good game against the Skins

DIESELMAN
08-20-2007, 06:44 PM
Yes Chidi is good at ST's, but like what some of you have touched on, thats it. Gay brings more to the game then just ST's. Also on Kreider, yes hes one of the better FB's in the league and he does ST's but Davis is making a name for himself on ST's as well as backfield blocking. Kreider isn't getting any younger, it would be nice to have him but we need to keep Russell and Davis also. Tomlin has some tough decisions to make come Sept. 1 when rosters go to 53.

GoBenGo
08-20-2007, 07:01 PM
I think Russel, and Davis have shown well! Good problem to have! A lot better shape than Indy and many others!
Standing "O" for Kiesel- Him going up to Campbell after that play showed the class that the steelers bring.

BlitzburghRockCity
08-20-2007, 08:39 PM
IF we could only have about 55 players on the roster we wouldn't have quite so much of a dilemma :lol:

FB's don't cost that much usually, even the best ones in the league aren't at an exorbitant price tag so keeping him is still an option because he's versatile enough that we can justify keeping: Parker, Davenport, Kreider, Russell, & Davis or Kuhn. We normally carry 5 back anyways.

Mike Tomlin
08-20-2007, 08:39 PM
I think with Tomlin coming and being hands on with the secondary, I see good things from Coc also. He's defending receivers better, that's two games in a row. He also does good on kick returns, andbody here ever tried fielding a punt with 11 guys flying towards you. It's a bad feeling ...trust me, I can understand why he might have muffed a few. Reid on the other hand is fearless returning punts. This guy will actually run towards you when fielding a punt.

Prosdo
08-20-2007, 09:21 PM
Parker, Davenport, Kreider, Russell, & Davis or Kuhn. We normally carry 5 back anyways.

I don't see Kuhn making it. I was also expecting to see a little more from Haynes, but he seems as good as gone. Russell and Davis deserve to make the team.

Mike Tomlin
08-20-2007, 09:33 PM
I don't see Kuhn making it. I was also expecting to see a little more from Haynes, but he seems as good as gone. Russell and Davis deserve to make the team.
I think Haynes played great to say it hasn't even been a year since they reconstructed his knee. I say Parker,Davenport,Russell, Davis and Haynes.
davis can play HB/FB and Haynes FB

Prosdo
08-20-2007, 09:35 PM
Haynes just seems so injury prone.

DIESELMAN
08-21-2007, 01:05 AM
He also does good on kick returns, andbody here ever tried fielding a punt with 11 guys flying towards you. It's a bad feeling ...trust me, I can understand why he might have muffed a few. Reid on the other hand is fearless returning punts. This guy will actually run towards you when fielding a punt.

Thats the difference between Reid and Coc, Reid has the stones to do it. Some people are cut out for it some aren't...Coc isn't. I can understand hearing footsteps but if it was that intimidating then every returner in the league would be muffing punts like Coc did last year.

Mike Tomlin
08-21-2007, 01:36 AM
That's why not everyone can be a punt returner in the league. That's also why teams draft people especially for that position.

K Train
08-21-2007, 02:17 PM
lol at TG still on kuhn, hes not making the team :lol:

BlitzburghRockCity
08-21-2007, 02:24 PM
lol at TG still on kuhn, hes not making the team :lol:

Shut up :greenkick: until he's cut he's still got a chance, especially with Haynes not doing much of anything so far either :lol:

Speaking of Haynes, my wife will be pissed if he's cut; that's her favorite player ;)

seth_westover
08-21-2007, 03:24 PM
I love this guy!! hes got a chance to be a special player!! espically with tomlin coaching him!! hes got good instincts!!! cant wait to watch the boys in action against the eagles :popcorn: :tt02:!!

did u say ur wife's favorite player is haynes?!?!?! :hilarious: :bluelol: :lol: :dunno:

SteelerFan87
08-21-2007, 10:03 PM
When we drafted William Gay, I kind of cringed a little because of his name, and how easy the jokes will be. But I must say I'm pleasantly surprised by the guy. He can really hit, and he just seems to make plays whenever the ball comes near him. He better make the team. I think he'd be a great replacement for Townsend in the nickel/dime when Deshea is gone.