PDA

View Full Version : Steelers...

SteelersWoman
08-09-2007, 05:14 AM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/10283392

By Vic Carucci
National Editor, NFL.com
(Aug. 6, 2007)

Now that an actual -- though unofficial -- game has been played, here are some quick observations from this NFL summer:
--It was mentioned repeatedly in various league and media circles throughout the offseason that new offensive coordinator Bruce Arians would provide a significant boost to the Pittsburgh Steelers' passing game. The anticipation of Arians taking the "handcuffs" off of Ben Roethlisberger and letting him cut loose with his big throwing arm began to sound like a cliché. Well, if a couple of connections with Cedrick Wilson for 73 yards in his only series in the Pro Football Hall of Fame game was any indication, Roethlisberger is going to enjoy working with Arians every bit as much as he anticipated. And maybe more. I'm not forgetting that it was a preseason game and that the New Orleans Saints defense was as basic as could be, but it is notable that Big Ben looked comfortable and ready to work the more aggressive Steelers offense from the very start.
I don't want to make too much of the fact that Mike Tomlin became the first Steelers coach in 42 years to win his preseason debut because it was, after all, a preseason debut. But it was an important step in the ongoing process of establishing a new program and presence after the ultra-dominant regime of Bill Cowher. Tomlin's most impressive achievement was not that he led the Steelers to a 20-7 victory over the Saints. It was the rapid comfort he showed as a first-time CEO. His demeanor was calm as he maintained a big-picture view while allowing his assistants to handle the majority of details. "I really kind of took myself out of it," Tomlin told reporters afterward. That is much harder than it sounds, especially for a fiery former defensive coordinator who was extremely hands-on.
I said the Saints defense was basic, but I'm sure they weren't pleased by the familiar site of an opposing offense making so many big plays with ease. Of course, that wasn't the only way the Steelers dominated. If there is any cause for even slight alarm for the Saints it would be that the NFL's best offense in 2006 didn't cross the 50-yard line or convert a single third down. The Steelers were more physical and more interested in giving something that resembled a true performance rather than the let's-get-this-over-with-and-get-out-of-here attitude the Saints displayed.

BlitzburghNation
08-09-2007, 10:47 AM
Now that's what I love about our Defense ! :tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02:

Flying to the ball and I keep hearing this voice whispering in my ear :scratch:

Defensive rookie of the year``````Bringing the "Woodley" :tt02::helmet::tt02:

AZ_Steeler
08-09-2007, 11:42 AM
Ben definitely looked comfortable in the opening series and it looks like Arians has unleashed the Big Ben! Based on the only series he played, with those kinds of numbers Ben is on his way to over 5000 yards passing! :woot: Assuming the airing it out continues ;)

Black@Gold Forever32
08-09-2007, 11:47 AM
Ben definitely looked comfortable in the opening series and it looks like Arians has unleashed the Big Ben! Based on the only series he played, with those kinds of numbers Ben is on his way to over 5000 yards passing! :woot: Assuming the airing it out continues ;)

5000 yards...lol I don't think there is chance in hell for Ben to get that.....I do think 3800 passing yards and 25-30 passing TDs for Ben this year though.......

I'm just glad the Steelers are hinting that they finally will let Ben be an NFL QB.....I think Bruce Ariens is the best thing to happen to Ben.....

AZ_Steeler
08-09-2007, 12:26 PM
I know 5000 yards is a stretch but if you don't set the bar high then what's the point in even setting a bar! :lol:

memphissteelergirl
08-09-2007, 12:41 PM
I'm just glad the Steelers are hinting that they finally will let Ben be an NFL QB.....I think Bruce Ariens is the best thing to happen to Ben.....

I agree...Big Ben "The Comeback Tour 2007" :tt02::helmet::cope:

manofsteel
08-09-2007, 05:12 PM
Ive ben saying ben comeback all off season and I do agree Woodley flying to the ball. He has a good nose for where the play is hmmm reming anybody of Troy

SteelerSteve
08-11-2007, 12:52 AM
You just gotta love big ben, hes a steeler through and through, and why the hell not 5000 yards, He won a superbowl already so whos to say he wont throw for 5,000 yds and 50 tds. I guess we will wait for the season but I really think he has the potential to put up a 4000 yd. 30 td season though:2cents::tt02:

Mach1
08-11-2007, 02:18 AM
Ben should kick *** this year, I just hope they get Miller and the other TE's more involved in the passing game.