PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Announce the Name of New Team Mascot

AZ_Steeler
08-08-2007, 07:49 PM
I think the name sucks if you ask me!

Link to Story (http://news.steelers.com/article/79593/)

http://media3.steelers.com/MediaContent//2007/07/28/07/07_TC_072707dh_mascot4_78880.jpg

LATROBE, Pa. ─ The Steeler Nation was officially introduced to its newest member today when the team announced the name of its new mascot at the club's training camp at Saint Vincent College in Latrobe, Pa.

Steely McBeam was the winning entry among more than 70,000 names submitted by Steelers fans around the world. He is a contemporized version of the former Steelers logo, a steelworker, representing Pittsburgh's rich history in the steel industry. The logo was used during the 1950s and '60s.

"We're excited to announce 'Steely McBeam' as the name of our new team mascot," said Steelers President Art Rooney II. "It was a difficult decision and we received many deserving entries, but we expect him to be a favorite among our youngest fans."

Steely McBeam will regularly participate in the team's many charitable programs and other club-sponsored events. He will also be visible throughout Heinz Field during Steelers games.

The winning entry was submitted by Diane Roles of Valencia, Pa. She will receive a VIP package for four to the Steelers' Sept. 16 home opener against the Buffalo Bills, including premium seating and pre-game hospitality. She will also receive an authentic Steelers throwback helmet and jersey just like the one that will be worn by the team that day.

The Steelers kicked-off a "Name the Mascot" contest sponsored by Cricket this past April. Fans were able to send in nominations by logging onto the team's official website, www.steelers.com, or by going to www.kdka.com.

The Steelers last had a mascot, Stevie Steeler, from the mid-1980's to mid-'90s.

The introduction of Steely McBeam is one of many events scheduled this year as the Steelers celebrate their 75th season. The team will wear throwback uniforms on Sept. 16 against Buffalo and again during a Monday Night contest against the division-rival Baltimore Ravens on Nov. 5.

The Steelers will dedicate an historical marker to Three Rivers Stadium this fall, and name their All-Time and Legends teams. The All-Time Team will be honored during the club's 75th Anniversary Gala on Nov. 4 at the Pittsburgh Convention Center as well as during halftime of the Nov. 5 game against Baltimore.

Black@Gold Forever32
08-08-2007, 07:50 PM
The name blows and the idea of having mascot blows period...lol

BlitzburghNation
08-08-2007, 08:54 PM

Yep,,,,,,,,,, He looks like a Lumber Jacker instead of a Steel Worker !!!!!

Black@Gold Forever32
08-08-2007, 08:55 PM

Lumber Jack......:lol:

BlackGold4vr
08-08-2007, 08:56 PM

Agreed! You can keep the mascot, I would rather have some hot cheerleaders any day. :yesnod:

DIESELMAN
08-08-2007, 09:11 PM
It looks like an ex-coach with that chin....WTF?????

BB2W
08-08-2007, 09:12 PM
I hate this whole mascot thing all together and now a name like this... Sure it's a funny name, but there is nothing funny about Steelers football and we surely don't need some loser in a costume patrolling the sidelines. Please make it stop. :(

BlitzburghNation
08-08-2007, 09:13 PM
Agreed! You can keep the mascot, I would rather have some hot cheerleaders any day. :yesnod:

Me too ~~~~~Would rather see----- :moon: Instead of Lumber jacker :haha::haha::haha:

BR7
08-08-2007, 09:14 PM
mascot.. :gay:

Now cheerleaders on the other hand.. :bigthumb:

BB2W
08-08-2007, 09:19 PM
mascot.. :gay:

Now cheerleaders on the other hand.. :bigthumb:Good point!... Cheerleaders over mascots all day. :greengrin:

Forged in Steel
08-08-2007, 09:55 PM
So do you think I should change my name to Steely McBeam since Stevie Steeler is outdated?

Koopa
08-08-2007, 10:07 PM
lol, yeah taht is a stupid name, and what's the point of a mascot??

Stlrs4Life
08-08-2007, 10:09 PM

I agree. But, figure if it is geared towards kids, I can kinda understand.

Forged in Steel
08-08-2007, 10:15 PM
I agree. But, figure if it is geared towards kids, I can kinda understand.

I'm starting to thing Stevie Steeler is stupid also

Steelerlyn
08-08-2007, 10:35 PM
no comment

Koopa
08-08-2007, 11:41 PM
on the post gazette they have a poll asking if we like the name, and 7000+ have voted, and 69% (including me) voted for The Steelers don't need a mascot........ 22% said they don't like it, and only 9% said they do like it

i wonder with the majority of the feedback being negative from what i see if this will be the only season that we see steely mcbeam

RckyMtnStlrFan
08-08-2007, 11:48 PM
Lame... very, very lame.

BlacknGold Bleeder
08-09-2007, 12:11 AM
The lady who won explanation for the name:

Steely Mcbeam

Steely: for the hometown
Mc: For al the fans ??? I don't get that part at all
beam: for the steel industry and for husbands favorite drink, Jim Beam

SteelerSteve
08-09-2007, 12:21 AM
Well, kids like mascots I guess:dunno: I definitley think a different name would be better, how about steelersteve?:lol::bluelol::lol:Okay maybe not:tt02:

pitt
08-09-2007, 12:32 AM
Apparently they picked the silliest name they could find.

AZ_Steeler
08-09-2007, 12:39 AM
on the post gazette they have a poll asking if we like the name, and 7000+ have voted, and 69% (including me) voted for The Steelers don't need a mascot........ 22% said they don't like it, and only 9% said they do like it

i wonder with the majority of the feedback being negative from what i see if this will be the only season that we see steely mcbeam

It really makes you wonder how this stupid name even won when there are so many people that are actually against it! :dunno: The mascot is a cool idea as long as the mascot himself is cool... The name Steely McBeam is not cool and neither is the mascot! He looks cheesy and he needs to have that stupid grin slapped off his face!

Captcoolhand
08-09-2007, 12:52 AM
Looks more like Joe Rockhead to me....

I like the Cheerleaders idea better but we all know that, that will never happen.:nono: That would mean more money out of their pockets....

Wasn't the person that is wearing the Rockhead Costume related to the Rooneys:scratch:

bigj26o
08-09-2007, 09:35 AM
Well we went 75yrs w/out needing one, didnt see why we needed one now, & then they go & name it McBeam, hope he gets put on the injured list & dissappears. Now we could always use some new steelerettes though

Iron City South
08-09-2007, 10:07 AM
I'm sorry, but the face on that thing is just creepy .... :yesnod:

Here's my issue with this freak ....

Why would the Steelers marketing department create such a creepy pedophile looking brawny guy with 5 o'clock shadow that looks like his main interest is waiting for your kids at the bus stop and/or playground?

Even as an adult, I find this character deathly frightening. Thanks to the Steelers, I now lie awake at night thinking this guy is going to sneak into my bedroom and bludgeon me repeatedly with a hammer while laughing uncontrollably. As my last breath escapes my lungs, I vision this goul dropping his pants and urinating on my lifeless body then dancing his way down the stairs to the tune of “Here we go" as he continues his maniacal rampage on the rest of my family.

Wasn't "The King" from Burger King enough for us to deal with? .....

:wtf:

BlackGold4vr
08-09-2007, 10:16 AM

Why would the Steelers marketing department create such a creepy pedophile looking brawny guy with 5 o'clock shadow that looks like his main interest is waiting for your kids at the bus stop and/or playground?

Even as an adult, I find this character deathly frightening. Thanks to the Steelers, I now lie awake at night thinking this guy is going to sneak into my bedroom and bludgeon me repeatedly with a hammer while laughing uncontrollably. As my last breath escapes my lungs, I vision this goul dropping his pants and urinating on my lifeless body then dancing his way down the stairs to the tune of “Here we go" as he continues his maniacal rampage on the rest of my family.

That is some funny stuff. :hilarious:

Most team mascots are animals or something non-threatening. I agree that a pretend steel worker complete with stale beer breath is a bit creepy. Why not some lifesize perogies? They could hold perogi races like the bratwurst characters in Milwaukie do at the Brewers games. Who would be scared of a perogi unless it actually reeked of sauteed' onions? Pittsburgh is famous for perogi's and unlike the steel industry I believe the perogies are there to stay.

BBG7
08-09-2007, 11:30 AM
Mascots are for the kids, but I showed my 3 yr. old son Steeley McBeam and he said that is one ugly man.
I hope we don't have to see him after this season.

AZ_Steeler
08-09-2007, 11:49 AM

:hilarious: A pedophile!!! :lol:

LatrobePA
08-09-2007, 11:55 AM
STEAMY McPILE IS STUPID!!

manofsteel
08-09-2007, 05:09 PM
A mascot could be cool but this one is definately gay. I like the idea of a real human mascot. Like maybe some big dude that wears a helmet and carries a lumch pale and a terrible towell or somethng and then maybe we cold call him...... I dunno ..... MANOFSTEEL??

AZ_Steeler
08-09-2007, 05:20 PM
A mascot could be cool but this one is definately gay. I like the idea of a real human mascot. Like maybe some big dude that wears a helmet and carries a lumch pale and a terrible towell or somethng and then maybe we cold call him...... I dunno ..... MANOFSTEEL??

That's a good one... how did you ever come up with that "MANOFSTEEL"?? :dunno:

;) :lol:

manofsteel
08-09-2007, 05:25 PM
I dont know just thouth it would be a kick a$$ handle name but when I think about it its just seems like a fitting name for some of the rough hardcore players on the team and it reflects the team as well ..... I guesse

Stairwayto7
08-09-2007, 05:29 PM
I would rather of had no mascot.

But a Heinz Ketchup bottle, Tryan Catchup!

Dako
08-09-2007, 06:33 PM
I would rather of had no mascot.

But a Heinz Ketchup bottle, Tryan Catchup!

Tryan Catchup would be better than Steely McCowher, um I mean, McBeam

The perogi was better too.......