PDA

View Full Version : Woodley flashes complete skill set.....

DIESELMAN
08-06-2007, 05:36 PM
CANTON – LaMarr Woodley may be having a hard time losing the five to 10 pounds the Steelers want him to lose, but he had no trouble dropping those big hips into pass coverage Sunday night.

http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/45/455784.jpg

Coverage responsibilities have been problematic in the past for college defensive ends who are making the transition to linebacker in a pro 3-4 defense, but LaMarr Woodley, the Pittsburgh Steelers’ 264-pound second-round pick, had no problem in the Hall of Fame Game. He dropped 14 yards to break up the first third-down play of his NFL preseason career.

“It’s still the one thing I want to work on,” said the rookie from Michigan.

“It definitely can be improved. I’ve gotten a lot better since that first time I got up here during minicamp, I’ll tell you that.”

Not that Steelers Coach Mike Tomlin noticed any problem with Woodley dropping into coverage. Tomlin said he’s been pleased with that aspect of Woodley’s game since spring workouts. Tomlin said he was looking for something else from Woodley on Sunday night.

“I just wanted to see if he could play a conditioned game because I knew he was going to have to get more snaps probably than most,” Tomlin said. “I think he held up relatively well from that standpoint. He was able to play quite a few snaps.

“It felt like he was solid, but nothing stood out positively or negatively, so we’ll take a look at the tape and grade him and see where he is technically.”

What did Tomlin think of Woodley’s play on third-and-10?

“It was a good play,” was all the new coach would say, but he answered a follow-up question this way:

“From a reputation standpoint you worried about (coverage responsibility) when we drafted him, but nothing he has done to this point has showed us that he’s incapable of doing that. He made those kind of plays in OTAs and minicamps. He’s not a fish out of water on his feet and in coverage.”

Woodley was more than a casual Steelers fan growing up in Saginaw, Michigan. He told reporters on draft day he “had always rooted for the Steelers.” So he was a proud linebacker making his first start in his first preseason game with the team.

“It still don’t seem real to me,” he said. “I was sitting on the sidelines saying, I’m actually in the NFL, playing for the Pittsburgh Steelers. It still don’t seem real.”

He didn’t just put in a cameo, either. The rookie was the only Steelers defender to play the entire first half. One of his few regrets was backing off a running back at one point, when he just as easily could’ve bowled him over and sacked the quarterback.

“I know which play you’re talking about,” Woodley said. “I kind of hesitated on that. You know, you go in there and you think about getting chopped and things like that. I have to get that out of my mind and just start playing football again.”

Woodley flashed his bullrush at camp when he bowled over Najeh Davenport at the first practice. The physical nature of his play was obvious and the vets took an immediate liking to Woodley.

And why not? He’s going to help the team, and he’s humble to boot.
“When you go out there and make a big play, you have to react almost like you made a bad play,” Woodley said. “You have to forget about it and focus on the next play, and I was just out there trying to help the team the best way I can.”

So here’s the Woodley checklist:

* He’s physical.
* He plays the run.
* He just showed he can get back in coverage.
* He pretends his big plays are bad plays in order to keep his focus.
“Hey, you just got to go out there and play hard, play with your heart,” he said.
With that attitude, a starting job is just a big play or two away.

By Jim Wexell
SteelCityInsider.com
Posted 6 August 2007

From what I seen of him in the first half, he looked good dropping into coverage, not like he's been doing it for years but he looked comfortable. He will gain valuable experience the more he plays, once he becomes a starter full time...Look out NFL!!!

BlackGold4vr
08-06-2007, 05:46 PM
Let me be one of the first to coin the phrase, "Bringin the Wood"

AZ_Steeler
08-06-2007, 06:02 PM
It's a good thing the Steelers drafted Woodley because Timmons hasn't showed a thing except for injury after injury.

The only thing about Woodley is he should have requested a different number! :D

Black@Gold Forever32
08-06-2007, 07:07 PM
The guy is bad ***.....I can't wait to watch all year and see him grow......I saw Woodley on Sat. for the last few years since I live in Big 10 country....Now I get to see him Sundays.....

BlitzburghNation
08-06-2007, 08:49 PM
Can you say "Denfensive rookie of the year" :crossfingers:

IMO he's gonna be our next star LB ~~~~~:cabbagepatch::tt02::tt02:

AZ_Steeler
08-07-2007, 02:08 AM
Can you say "Denfensive rookie of the year" :crossfingers:

IMO he's gonna be our next star LB ~~~~~:cabbagepatch::tt02::tt02:

DROY might be a stretch based on his playing time, but you never know though because someone could go down for the year with an injury and they'll call his number! :bigthumb: I think he's definitely capable of being in the running but it will all depend on his PT.

Prosdo
08-07-2007, 02:34 AM
Woodley looked great. I think he will make an impact on this team.

WildBillSteel
08-07-2007, 10:57 AM
i think this kid is a stud and will be the next great steeler LB.......he didnt look like a rook at all sun. night tho obviusly he didnt play much. looking forward to seein what he does against the pack on sat.

Iron City South
08-07-2007, 09:20 PM
#55 is still alive baby ... ! :tt02:

Woodley will make others forget all about Porter. Knowing Porter went under the knife today for his 3rd scope in 2 years .... it's making the Steeler front office look really good right now for cutting bait with him.

K Train
08-07-2007, 09:30 PM
played the whole first half....gotta love that, the more time the better....he was really impressive in all aspects

dont give up on timmons either, just be happy we got a badass guy inh the second when most of you were like wtf?

Stlrs4Life
08-07-2007, 10:38 PM
Best qoute of the story:

“It still don’t seem real to me,” he said. “I was sitting on the sidelines saying, I’m actually in the NFL, playing for the Pittsburgh Steelers. It still don’t seem real.”

manofsteel
08-08-2007, 01:27 AM
Woodley looked real good. not only his athletic ability but his competence too. He didnt look confused or scared out there he just looked, well almost like, j peezy , I mean with the number... and all.