PDA

View Full Version : Russel and Davis looked good

BlitzburghRockCity
08-05-2007, 11:27 PM
Najeh got some good work in during the first few series but the story of the night has been Russel and Carey as far as the backup RB's go. Both of them ran hard, tough, held onto the ball and refused to go down by the first defender. They showed alot tonight as a couple of young guys trying to make the squad. I like what I saw from both of them.

Barlow needs to go, he was whining after the first play when he was taken out of the game. Kuhn didn't play much but he'll get his chances.

K Train
08-05-2007, 11:34 PM
i really liked davis

Koopa
08-06-2007, 12:13 AM
kuhn won't get his chance, he's being used as a full back, so he won't get a chance at all cause there was plenty of time for him to have his chance, croom ran more then him, and that's cause kuhn sucks

russell produced everytime he ran, maybe not huge gains but every run ended with positive gains

davis seems badass, i can't wait till we play the eagles on nbc so i can watch them

barlow ****ing sucks ***, he needs to be cut before saturdays game cause he's stilling valuable playing time from our young backs

BB2W
08-06-2007, 12:13 AM
They both looked good, but Davis obviously impressed us all a lot. :redcool:

Black@Gold Forever32
08-06-2007, 12:17 AM
Yea I was pumped to see both Russell and Davis....Both didn't let me down at all....I thought Davis stood out more then Russell tonight since he had a long run and long reception...But Russell looked tough and refused to go down on the first hit....Plus seems like a solid cut back runner....

BlitzburghRockCity
08-06-2007, 12:24 AM
Davis was definitely running out of gas on that long run but he was gutting it out :lol: He's not the most fleet of foot guy in the world but he runs with power.

SteelerSteve
08-06-2007, 12:26 AM
Carey looked awesome

Black@Gold Forever32
08-06-2007, 12:27 AM
Davis was definitely running out of gas on that long run but he was gutting it out :lol: He's not the most fleet of foot guy in the world but he runs with power.

Call me crazy but I think Russell and Davis should make this team.....Just cut Barlow and Haynes right now.......

I think the Backs should be Parker,Dookie,Russell,Davis and Kreider....I don't see the Steelers keeping more then five......

USMCVET
08-06-2007, 12:36 AM
Davis ran through daylight more than Russell.

IMO, Russell out-performed Davis.

Davis' long run of 56 was very bad tackling then into wide open field.

Take that away and the rest of his performance was 6 for 12 yds and a 2ypc average.

Russell was banging it through and had 8 for 41 for 5 ypc!!!!

Russell wins this matchup.

Nice problem to have.

But does anyone remember Daunte Brown?

steelerfan11
08-06-2007, 01:01 AM
On the pittsburgh sports show Paul Alexander compared Davis with Foster and how they run close to the same.

I loved watching these young backs run tonight.

Black@Gold Forever32
08-06-2007, 01:08 AM
Davis ran through daylight more than Russell.

IMO, Russell out-performed Davis.

Davis' long run of 56 was very bad tackling then into wide open field.

Take that away and the rest of his performance was 6 for 12 yds and a 2ypc average.

Russell was banging it through and had 8 for 41 for 5 ypc!!!!

Russell wins this matchup.

Nice problem to have.

But does anyone remember Daunte Brown?

Russell also was facing the Saints 3rd stringers for the most part......But he looked good tonight.....

You just mention Davis rushing yards....Davis also had a nice long gain of a screen pass.....

I think both backs looked solid tonight.....

Koopa
08-06-2007, 01:13 AM
Russell also was facing the Saints 3rd stringers for the most part......But he looked good tonight.....

You just mention Davis rushing yards....Davis also had a nice long gain of a screen pass.....

I think both backs looked solid tonight.....

russell also had scrub lineman, so that takes away from him going up against scrubs........

BlitzburghRockCity
08-06-2007, 01:14 AM
Considering both of these guys were running behind backup OL playing against backup defenders they did pretty well picking holes and running over people. The good thing is that alot of our backup OL guys are in the mix to be starters too so tonights performance by them was pretty good overall as well. We still have some protection issues to work out but for a first game it wasn't too shabby.

Black@Gold Forever32
08-06-2007, 01:25 AM
russell also had scrub lineman, so that takes away from him going up against scrubs........

Really like I didn't watch the game and didn't know that....I'm so glad you're hear to point that out for me....I wasn't knocking Russell......Hell I was one of the few at first excited that the Steelers picked this kid up as an undrafted FA and hoping he makes the team......Just pointed out that before anybody starts getting to excited about Russell he still was facing the Saints 3rd stringers.....Its a nice start for Russell...But I want to see him do it again and against better competition.....Same goes for Carey Davis......

BlitzburghRockCity
08-06-2007, 01:33 AM
don't mind koopa, he's still pissed off at the NFLN :bluelol:

Im anxious to see these backups play against atleast solid second string players as much as possible. They won't get much work against starters unless something happens but the more they can get rotated in and play against quality competition we'll be able to gauge their progress. They have had a nice start but definitely have a long way to go too.

Props to both of them for stepping up tonight and competing !

Black@Gold Forever32
08-06-2007, 01:36 AM
don't mind koopa, he's still pissed off at the NFLN :bluelol:

Im anxious to see these backups play against atleast solid second string players as much as possible. They won't get much work against starters unless something happens but the more they can get rotated in and play against quality competition we'll be able to gauge their progress. They have had a nice start but definitely have a long way to go too.

Props to both of them for stepping up tonight and competing !

I don't mind Koopa at all..........Just being a smart ***........Hey its just part of who I am....Don't mean nothing by it....

Hey both Davis/Russell looked better then Barlow....I think Tomlin should cut Barlow soon.....He isn't needed since these young guys are flashing potential......

Koopa
08-06-2007, 01:37 AM
I'm not pissed, i just don't like when ppl use that argument about someone going up against third or fourth stringers, because it doesn't make sense, since they have third or fourth string linemen blocking for you so it ends up being a wash and kinda pointless to bring up, now if he had the first string linemen in and was running against third stringers then the argument can be used lol

Black@Gold Forever32
08-06-2007, 01:50 AM
I'm not pissed, i just don't like when ppl use that argument about someone going up against third or fourth stringers, because it doesn't make sense, since they have third or fourth string linemen blocking for you so it ends up being a wash and kinda pointless to bring up, now if he had the first string linemen in and was running against third stringers then the argument can be used lol

All I'm saying is I want to see Russell do it again and against better competition.....I'm not knocking the guy........

As for you saying it doesn't make sense...Well yea it does....There have been a ton of players to tear up 3rd stringers in the pre-season that went on and didn't even make a NFL roster....Just look at Patrick Cobb last year...I think that was the RB the Steelers traded for before the start of the season last year....Who they cut soon after signing Dookie...lol

The same goes for Carey Davis........I like both of these guys and so far so good.....Just hope they keep it up and I want to see them go against some better competition....

Prosdo
08-06-2007, 05:18 AM
They both looked awesome. Barlow needs to go big time.

BlitzburghRockCity
08-06-2007, 08:30 AM
Damn I love Steelers football, it brings out all the competitive juices that have been pent up for the last 7 months ! :lol:

Barlow will be preseason fodder, even if he did play semi well his attitude just sux too much to make this team. That me first BS won't carry any weight. Cedric has a bit of an arrogant streak and that's ok as long as you keep it in check.

DIESELMAN
08-06-2007, 08:37 AM
The one highlight I seen was Davenport bulling his way into the endzone, he didn't look "soft" on that play. With seeing the stats and listening to the radio and you guys, Barlow needs to go, most of us knew that when we brought him in. Lets see how the rest of the preseason plays out.....oh yeah one more thing, THEY'RE SHOWING THE GAME ON ESPN ON AFN, I GET TO WATCH IT!!!!! :cope: :cope: :cope:

AZ_Steeler
08-06-2007, 10:48 AM
Barlow's days are definitely numbered. After the performance from Davis and Russell it's almost a given now! Where did this Davis dude come from? :dunno: Completely unexpected...

memphissteelergirl
08-06-2007, 11:10 AM
Where did this Davis dude come from? :dunno: Completely unexpected...

That's just what we (Steeler Club of Memphis) were saying last night at the bar where we were watching the game. Everybody was saying stuff like "Hey! Who is that guy?? I like this guy!" LOL :lol:

GoBenGo
08-06-2007, 11:18 AM
Russell was very impressive, and powerful.
Willie Reid showed a few glimpses of what we expect from him!
Nate Washington has hands of stone.
Ben looked great for his few plays.
Could be a great year for Cedric!!
I LOVE STEELER FOOTBALL!!

GoBenGo
08-06-2007, 11:51 AM
I agree , Barlow is not looking like an asset. Especially the way Davis and Russell looked. Very deep looking backfield!!!!! You gotta bring it to be a Steeler running back!!

K Train
08-06-2007, 11:34 PM
i hate barlow, cut him and haynes right now