PDA

View Full Version : What has Tomlin showed you in the first preseason game

BlitzburghRockCity
08-05-2007, 10:45 PM
He's all about toughness and competing. Watching the defense get big hits, defense passes and stuff the run you can see that twinkle in his eye. He wasn't jumping around and screaming but that smile on his face was just like "Yeah I'm liking this" .

Even when McFadden drew that personal foul after the play was over, Tomlin just smiled at him. He didn't start yelling at him, he just gave him a pat on the rear and a smile to someone else beside him.

Watching Ben, Charlie, and BSP air it out in the first quarter he was just taking it all in stride but I got the impression overall that he liked what he saw. There's still a long way to go and we had a lot of mistakes but for a first presason game it appears that Tomlin is indeed well in control of this team and genuinely likes how his guys are out there competing and mixing it up.

Black@Gold Forever32
08-05-2007, 10:49 PM
I like the energy the team has........Hey its hard sometimes to get pumped up for a pre-season for the vet players but the whole team looked alive out there and ready to play....

As for Tomlin....Its real early to tell but he seems to be the calm type on the sideline which isn't always a bad thing.....From what I can see he seems he will let his assistants coach also and he will manage the game like he said.....

USMCVET
08-05-2007, 10:54 PM
Thank God they didn't go with Grimm.

I don't think that this team would have half the energy or effort.

This team is one that sure looks like it could keep things together when the chips are down to make a comeback.

Tomlin is like you said........ in control.

He even seemed very calm when the game started.

BRICKTOWN BEAST
08-05-2007, 10:55 PM
haha he smiled at McFadden thats awesome

BlitzburghRockCity
08-05-2007, 10:59 PM
Those players were out there having a good time, the energy level was definitely high from the starters in the first quarter when they played. Of course it wasn't regular season intensity but for a preseason game he should be overall pleased with the effort.

Mainly with the toughness, the guys came out tonight and punched the Saints in the mouth and dominated the whole first half. The 2nd half remains to be seen but so far so good. It's definitely a change from "the chin" that we're used to seeing.

SteelerSteve
08-06-2007, 01:05 AM
Tomlin looked calm out there, but you could tell he was extremely focused and thats just what we need! Keep it up Mike

SteelerBee43
08-06-2007, 05:19 AM
He looked like a Leader :tt02:

Prosdo
08-06-2007, 05:21 AM
They looked like they had energy and they looked sharp. I'm really liking Tomlin.

steelersgal86
08-06-2007, 07:12 AM
He looked like a Leader :tt02:

:iagree: I thought that also!!! It was good to see him out there and in action!!! :tt02::tt02:

DIESELMAN
08-06-2007, 08:02 AM
This team is one that sure looks like it could keep things together when the chips are down to make a comeback.

Thats going to be the ultimate test, how will both Tomlin and his team react to pressure. When its 4th and 1 down by 5 with 53 seconds left in the game, ball on our 28 yard line, how will Tomlins demeanor be then? cool under pressure? or fall apart? I'll bet the house on cool under pressure. Between all the interviews and the way he ran his first camp, he's molding the Steelers to be his Steelers. His attitude and confidence is already starting to rub off on everyone, including us the fans. :bigthumb:

ARKIESTEEL
08-06-2007, 08:29 AM
He had the team looking hungry

Iron City South
08-06-2007, 08:31 AM
What has Tomlin showed you in the first preseason game?

Probably the most important thing:

Regardless of all the off-season talk, Tomlin is earning the respect of every player on this team. You can just see it ... they're buying what he's selling. :tt02:

BlitzburghRockCity
08-06-2007, 08:32 AM
Thats going to be the ultimate test, how will both Tomlin and his team react to pressure. When its 4th and 1 down by 5 with 53 seconds left in the game, ball on our 28 yard line, how will Tomlins demeanor be then? cool under pressure? or fall apart? I'll bet the house on cool under pressure. Between all the interviews and the way he ran his first camp, he's molding the Steelers to be his Steelers. His attitude and confidence is already starting to rub off on everyone, including us the fans. :bigthumb:

:iagree: When the game is on the line what will Tomlin do; look to his assistants for the right call or make it himself like Cowher used to do most of the time. Preseason games are one thing when everybody is happy just to get off the field without injury but when the real bullets start to fly we'll see how well he leads this team. I can't wait, I have all the faith in him to do a great job.

DIESELMAN
08-06-2007, 08:48 AM
:iagree: When the game is on the line what will Tomlin do; look to his assistants for the right call or make it himself like Cowher used to do most of the time. Preseason games are one thing when everybody is happy just to get off the field without injury but when the real bullets start to fly we'll see how well he leads this team. I can't wait, I have all the faith in him to do a great job.

:bigthumb: Leaving the game without injuries was one of my biggest concerns, if the players train hard and play hard, we ain't got no real big worries. I do believe that Tomlin is also looking at gut checks, even in a preseason game, he's looking for intensities at all levels, who will gut it out and who will give up....that will be a big key in making and breaking some of these guys. I'm sure I'd rather have a player that gives it 110% in the one and only play he is in for then a player who half asses it knowing he'll be back in for another down.

rainman
08-06-2007, 10:25 AM
I liked what I saw in Tomlin, I feel he is what we want and need as a coach - the Rooney's come through again!

floodcitygirl
08-06-2007, 10:37 AM
So far so good. The energy, excitement, and confidence was there with the team again. They were prepared to play a physical game. That all speaks well to Tomlin's leadership.

AZ_Steeler
08-06-2007, 10:59 AM
Probably the most important thing:

Regardless of all the off-season talk, Tomlin is earning the respect of every player on this team. You can just see it ... they're buying what he's selling. :tt02:
It's easy to get excited over a victory like this and there are still plenty more games to go, but I don't recall a performance like this where the first, second and third stringers were all clicking and just dominating the entire game. At one point the Steelers had their second string defense out there stuffing the Saints over and over again and the Saints still had their starting o-line and TE's on the field. :bigthumb:

steelcitysfinestXL
08-06-2007, 10:59 AM
The most important thing for me was to see how PHYSICAL they played... and from the top to the bottom they were physical for 60 minutes. Thats something you didnt see last year when cower led us to a 0-4 preseason. I think it a direct relation to the 2-a-days. When you have a physical, hard and intense camp, you cant wait to get out their and hit somebody not wearing you jersey.

+'s:
Russell, Gay, Ben, Cedrick, Santonio, Woodley, Davis, Tomlin and the staff

-'s:
Washington, Barlow, Starx, Reid and Reed

Iron City South
08-06-2007, 11:14 AM
Did you notice how all the 1st and 2nd stringers were into the game cheering on the 3rd and 4th teamers on the sidelines in the second half?

This looks like a unified team ...

Ambridge
08-06-2007, 11:36 AM
The Steelers looked good on both sides of the ball and Mike Tomlin keeps on looking like he was the right choice for HC.

I don't get too excited about pre-season games one way or the other.
My only hope is that the Steelers get through next four games injury free and are ready to get out of the gates fast once the regular season starts.

PsychoWard
08-06-2007, 11:50 AM
i think the main thing i saw in tomlin was especially for the first game in his debut as a head coach was that he was very calm cool and collected. i also like to see him out there smiling and haveing a goodtime!!!

i know it was only the first preseason game but i think we looked good on both sides of the ball!! I think as steelers fans we are going to have a very exciting season ahead of us:tt02::tt02::tt02:

ARKIESTEEL
08-06-2007, 12:25 PM
Still didnt see the 10 balls thrown at the TE postion like we all hear about

Black@Gold Forever32
08-06-2007, 12:30 PM

Good point Arkie..........But its early and Miller/Spaeth didn't get much playing time last night.....We all know Miller is the starter but I think Spaeth will be number 2.....I think once the regular season starts we will see both of these young TEs involved in the passing game....

GoBenGo
08-06-2007, 12:33 PM
Thank God they didn't go with Grimm.

I don't think that this team would have half the energy or effort.

Tomlin is like you said........ in control.

He even seemed very calm when the game started.
:iagree: I am excited about the personality the team takes on under Tomlin.
Young, Confident, take no prisoners, make no excuses.
A Grimm season would have been a grimm season.

bigj26o
08-06-2007, 12:41 PM
Well so fare it looks like the Steelers made the right choice. So far he seems to be in control & has a quite confidence & control & has the team already believing in him & his style. Love the toughness they are displaying. How bout our rookies.

Mach1
08-06-2007, 01:09 PM

Its only preseason, don't want to tip our hat to early. :greengrin:

I hope.

GoBenGo
08-06-2007, 01:16 PM
WELCOME COACH TOMLIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:bigthumb: