PDA

View Full Version : Heart of the Steelers

crusse10
08-03-2007, 02:18 AM
What is it?
I am crusse10 (chris, the gfx manager) from tsz (the-sportszone). I'm trying to make a 32 team signature set, and I'm going forum to forum asking this question. What is it that makes your team tick? Is it a hallowed coach? An immortalized player? A landmark? What is it?
I need as many ideas as I can get, then I'll set up a poll (if I have the ability to do so). Please, PLEASE give me some ideas.

As an idea, I'm a very big packers fan. Ideas for such could be Curly Lambeau, the Frozen Tundra, Vince Lombardi, Brett Favre, etc. In that instance, I would probably mix the Tundra with Lombardi, but you get the point.

So, in conclusion, please help me. When I post the final set, I will give due to each board that assisted me.

Thanks, and I hope to see a bunch of ideas!

BlitzburghRockCity
08-03-2007, 06:19 AM
Hey there ! :welcome:

You have the ability to post up a poll so feel free to do so whenever you're ready.

IMO the heart of the Steelers is mainly tradition. The history of Art Sr. starting the team in 1933 and how it's been in the family ever since. It's about the Dynasty years of the 70's with 4 SB wins, it's about the countless Steeler members in the Hall of Fame...it's about a hard working, blue collar town that lives, eats, and breathes Steeler football and a team that plays with the same passion that the fans show every week in support.

DIESELMAN
08-03-2007, 07:35 AM
Pretty cool idea Crusse10 :bigthumb: Is there a size limit to the sig? cuz we're talkin about 75+ years of rich history and tradition. Theres the Steel Curtain, the 1970's drafts that brought us the likes of Terry Bradshaw, Franco Harris, Jack Lambert, Lynn Swann, John Stallworth, Jack Ham, Mel Blount, Mike Webster and Joe Greene (1969). Theres the Immaculate Reception, The Chief, Three Rivers Stadium, The great rivalries between us and the Raiders and Cowboys, the great tradition of having *** kickin LB'ers (Jack Lambert, Jack Ham, Greg Lloyd, LeVon Kirkland, Andy Russell, Joey Porter, James Farrior, Kendrell Bell, Jason Gildon, Chad Brown, Kevin Greene, Earl Holmes and the list goes on and on and on), a smashmouth running game, Myron Cope and the The Terrible Towel. Like TOP said its blue collar, hard working, blood and guts, suck it up and get the job done, in your face attitude.

:cope: :cope: :cope: :cope: :cope:

Iron City South
08-03-2007, 08:53 AM
What is it?
I am crusse10 (chris, the gfx manager) from tsz (the-sportszone). I'm trying to make a 32 team signature set, and I'm going forum to forum asking this question. What is it that makes your team tick? Is it a hallowed coach? An immortalized player? A landmark? What is it?
I need as many ideas as I can get, then I'll set up a poll (if I have the ability to do so). Please, PLEASE give me some ideas.

As an idea, I'm a very big packers fan. Ideas for such could be Curly Lambeau, the Frozen Tundra, Vince Lombardi, Brett Favre, etc. In that instance, I would probably mix the Tundra with Lombardi, but you get the point.

So, in conclusion, please help me. When I post the final set, I will give due to each board that assisted me.

Thanks, and I hope to see a bunch of ideas!

Crusse10 - I hope I can speak for others when I say what makes the Steelers tick is a tradition of excellence forged on a foundation of two kinds of work ..... hard work .... and teamwork. The blue collar work ethic and steel town toughness of the people that are or were from the Pittsburgh area back in the steel hay-day, transends into the very attitude of the players that wear the black & gold. They understand that when they step on the field, they're fighting for the people of Pittsburgh and all of their struggles. In essance, the "smashmouth" style of Steeler football, the attitude .... emulates the very fabric of the community the Steelers represent. The Rooney family represents the integrity of an oak tree which is why this franchise is the model of consistency.

Charlie Daniels once wrote some lyrics in one of his songs called "America" that speaks to this attitude, he wrote"

"You just go and lay your hand on a Pittsburgh Steelers fan, and I think you're gonna' finally understand"

Pittsburgh is one of the few cities that I can honestly say that football is part of who we are as people. We're hard workers, we're always fighting to overcome, we stand by each other and support each other as a team (even if we no longer live there and see fellow Steeler fans), we understand that other cities my be far bigger, richer, more educated, more exciting, and more beautiful ... therefore we are always trying to prove something. Before we even step on the field, in our minds .... we are the underdog and we've got something to prove. :tt02:

SteelerSal
08-03-2007, 10:30 AM
http://www.bestsportsphotos.com/images/t_22575_05.jpg

Blue collar, lunch pale,hard working and smashmouth.

Mach1
08-03-2007, 11:14 AM
History, tradition, and smash mouth football.

BlitzburghRockCity
08-03-2007, 11:44 AM
This is what it's all about, great answers by everyone !! You just can't beat Steelers football, it really is a lifestyle not just a game !

Deb
08-03-2007, 11:51 AM
yeah he's been doing this for every team out there and this is probably the best response he's had yet

TEEMONT
08-03-2007, 12:11 PM
I think you gotta include the following: The Chief, Cope, and the terrible towel.

manofsteel
08-03-2007, 02:28 PM
Its gotta be about history, tradition, the terrible towell and the fans of this great football team. Also it should reflect the city blue collar working people. ( That like to get drunk )

DBR96A
08-03-2007, 02:48 PM
May I suggest...

- Art Rooney
- Three Rivers Stadium
- Heinz Field
- The Terrible Towel
- Terry Bradshaw
- Joe Greene
- Jack Lambert
- Chuck Noll
- Greg Lloyd
- Jerome Bettis
- Ben Roethlisberger
- Bill Cowher

That's in terms of legacy.

Stlrs4Life
08-03-2007, 03:51 PM
I like Steeler Sals' idea.

crusse10
08-03-2007, 03:53 PM
somehow i completely forgot about te towel...no clue how, but i did. that's probalby gonna be part of it, sometime tomorrow i'll get the poll up

SteelersWoman
08-03-2007, 05:09 PM
To me, the heart of the Steelers (and their fans) is...

Oh so many things! It's Black and Gold and jerseys, hats, and a Terrible Towel. It's getting together with family/friends to watch our beloved team. It's excitement and goosebumps...sometimes yelling. It's hot wings or pizza, and it's either jubilation or tears at the end of the game.

It's Big Ben, Troy, Hines, Willie, and so many others present AND past.

It's the long, rich tradition--it's having owners who truly seem to care about the team and how well they do.

It's having only 3 coaches in almost 4 decades.

It's having a ring for every single finger AND thumb.

And last, (and maybe most important)--it's overcoming all the obstacles--the naysayers, the injuries, the bad calls along the way, and the previous records. It's having the heart of a figther and a champion, and finding a way to make good on a promise.

BBG7
08-03-2007, 07:20 PM
wow...these are great responses...It makes you proud to be a PITTSBURGH STEELERS fan!!!