PDA

View Full Version : Total BS. ESPN's future Hall of Famers

kgreen
08-02-2007, 11:25 PM
Ok, some of the players I can agree with (Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, LT). I mean come on! Adrian Peterson? Matt Leinart? ESPN needs to get off of some peoples nutts!
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=halloffame/nfl1-10:scratch:
***AutoMerged Post Below...***
oh yeah and this is my favorite!

Big names, not big enough games

By Thomas Neumann and Scott Symmes
ESPN.com

What good is it to have an exclusive club without leaving a few people behind the velvet rope? With that in mind, we stir the Hall of Fame debate further by compiling a list of 10 high-profile players who definitely won't be going to the Hall of Fame -- not without buying a ticket, anyway.

Eli Manning

Manning has a big arm, but he lacks his big brother's accuracy, leadership qualities and overall football acumen. Despite having weapons like Tiki Barber, Plaxico Burress and Jeremy Shockey, Manning has been plagued by maddening inconsistency in his three seasons as a full-time starter. Does he still have room to improve? Of course, but we don't predict it based on his performance in the second half of last season. Little-known fact: His full name is Elisha Nelson Manning.:lol:Eli was a crybaby on draft and look what he got.

Clinton Portis

Portis can be a game breaker and he's only 25, but it's unlikely his body will hold up long enough for him to put up Hall of Fame numbers. Last season, when he played only eight games because of hand and shoulder injuries, could be a harbinger of things to come. At 205 pounds, Portis simply doesn't possess the bulk of most of the league's elite backs. It also appears that Portis misses running behind the celebrated Broncos offensive line. His yards per carry has dipped from 5.5 to 4.1 since Washington acquired him in 2004.

Brady Quinn

As soon as Quinn was chosen by the Browns on draft day, his chances to reach the Hall of Fame took a severe hit. The Browns haven't produced a Hall of Fame quarterback since Otto Graham, who retired in 1955. Since 1999, when they reopened for business in Cleveland, the Browns have had a revolving door of starting quarterbacks. Quinn might be the most talented passer the team has had in some time, but he has history and karma working against him.

Ben Roethlisberger

At first glance, it might seem preposterous to slam the Hall door in Big Ben's face so soon. But upon closer inspection, it makes sense. Roethlisberger proved to be an effective game manager in his first two pro seasons, and he has a Super Bowl ring to show for it. But his Super Bowl performance (9-for-21 with two picks) was dreadful, and then he regressed in 2006. Now the Steelers are losing personnel from their championship team, and nothing to this point suggests that Roethlisberger can carry an undermanned team on his shoulders to playoff success.

Tony Romo

Time isn't on Romo's side. At 27, Romo will only be in his second year as a starter, making any thought of a run toward the top of the career passing charts extremely unlikely. Then there's the possibility that opponents were starting to figure him out toward the end of last season, when he produced a few clunker performances. But unlike JaMarcus Russell and Quinn, Romo is piloting a competitive team. It will take multiple Super Bowl victories, however, for him to become part of any serious Canton discussion.

JaMarcus Russell

Russell certainly has the arm to succeed. The footage of his pre-draft workouts looked like the Powerade commercial in which Michael Vick threw the ball a country mile -- except Russell's footage wasn't doctored. Russell, however, finds himself in a brutal situation with the Raiders. Three of Oakland's top receivers are a converted quarterback, a Lions castoff and a malcontent who was suspended most of last season. The offensive line is porous, having allowed an NFL-worst 72 sacks last season. Russell just doesn't have a legitimate opportunity to succeed. :scratch: Not sure why they're even judging him.....

Jeremy Shockey

Shockey is an exciting and productive tight end, but nagging injuries and shaky hands have prevented him from reaching his true potential. Plus, with a relatively inaccurate quarterback in Manning throwing him the ball for the foreseeable future, Shockey will likely struggle to reach the lofty plateau where Antonio Gates and Tony Gonzalez currently reside. Further, although it is impressive that Shockey is often willing to play hurt, one has to wonder when the many injuries he has suffered will catch up with him.

Michael Vick

Although it was already decided that Vick would land on this list prior to his recent legal woes, the allegations against him obviously haven't helped. Regardless, running quarterbacks don't make the Hall of Fame. Through six seasons, Vick has completed only 53.8 percent of his passes and has never thrown for 3,000 yards in a season. At 27, Vick still has physical upside, especially with offensive guru Bobby Petrino now running the show in Atlanta, but it's nearly impossible to envision him developing into a Hall of Fame passer at this point in his career. :lol::lol: No Suprise here

Mario Williams

Through no fault of his own, Williams will be held to a higher standard than most No. 1 overall picks. That's going to happen, however, when you're selected instead of Reggie Bush and Vince Young. It didn't help Williams' stock that teammate DeMeco Ryans was named 2006 Defensive Rookie of the Year. Add the fact that there's little reason to expect the Texans to compete for a playoff spot -- much less a championship -- anytime soon, and you get a recipe for falling short of the hype.

Charles Woodson

Woodson never did live up to the hype that went with being the first primarily defensive player to win a Heisman Trophy. Even considering his career-best eight interceptions last season with the Packers, Woodson has posted fewer than three per season as a pro. He has been named to three Pro Bowls, but team success in the postseason has been elusive. One season after a disappointing Raiders loss in the AFC Championship Game, the infamous Tuck Rule call in New England negated a crucial fumble that Woodson had forced. He was injured for much of 2002, although he returned to make an interception in the Super Bowl. If only the Tuck Rule hadn't been invoked

AZ_Steeler
08-03-2007, 02:08 AM
Ben Roethlisberger

At first glance, it might seem preposterous to slam the Hall door in Big Ben's face so soon. But upon closer inspection, it makes sense. Roethlisberger proved to be an effective game manager in his first two pro seasons, and he has a Super Bowl ring to show for it. But his Super Bowl performance (9-for-21 with two picks) was dreadful, and then he regressed in 2006. Now the Steelers are losing personnel from their championship team, and nothing to this point suggests that Roethlisberger can carry an undermanned team on his shoulders to playoff success.

Well aren't they quick to jump to conclusions!!! Ben hasn't even played his fourth season yet and hasn't even been given a chance to prove he can carry this team... I'm going to steal a TG word here... both Thomas Neumann and Scott Symmes are a couple of assjacks!

DIESELMAN
08-03-2007, 07:51 AM
That list will change once we get a few more SB rings. Faneca at #23 and Polamalu at #31 and Ward at #43 is cool :bigthumb:

TEEMONT
08-03-2007, 09:10 AM
When I saw this I knew Steeler fans would get butt hurt...Ben isn't a HoF QB.

kgreen
08-03-2007, 09:48 AM

Did Steeler fans think that Bradshaw was a HOF after his 3rd season? No Ben has a long way to go. Don't write him off yet.:nono:

AZ_Steeler
08-03-2007, 11:35 AM

At this point in his career he's not a HOF QB, but he's only completed 3 seasons. I think a couple more rings and proving that he can carry this team like Bradshaw did then it's a given.
:bigthumb:

TEEMONT
08-03-2007, 11:55 AM
I still don't think Bradshaw "carried" his team. I mean for shits sakes, the dude had a HoF RB, WR, C, and the D was just nasty.

I just don't think Ben will ever be HoF material. I hate how SB rings get QB's in the HoF but no one else.....

AZ_Steeler
08-03-2007, 12:10 PM
I still don't think Bradshaw "carried" his team. I mean for shiats sakes, the dude had a HoF RB, WR, C, and the D was just nasty.

I just don't think Ben will ever be HoF material. I hate how SB rings get QB's in the HoF but no one else.....

You have valid points and I see what you're saying about Bradshaw, he did have all the right pieces around him but there were times when he had to step up and deliver the ball. If he couldn't of handled the pressure then the Steelers might not have been so successful in the 70's, but that is something we will never know.

Ben might win more SB's but given the recent talk with how the Steelers are going to open things up Ben might start having these awesome statistical years that could elevate him a category with some pretty big names. Again this is only speculation but Ben does seem to have all the right pieces for a QB, he just hasn't been able to bring it all together yet and let it show. I'm not just saying this b/c I'm a Steelers fan and I'm being a homer... Ben has the "it" factor and I think we and fans of the NFL are really going to start to see the "it" come out!

TEEMONT
08-03-2007, 12:13 PM
I hope you're right.....

kgreen
08-03-2007, 01:09 PM
I still don't think Bradshaw "carried" his team. I mean for shiats sakes, the dude had a HoF RB, WR, C, and the D was just nasty.

QB's can't win games by themselves. Was Montanna all alone in the Niners Super Bowl Runs? Just about Every QB in history who has made or won a Super Bowl has had good recievers, RBs and defenses. The jury should still be out on Ben. I mean he has played 3 years. QBs take longer than other positions to develope. I can't beleive you are already giving up on Ben's HOF chances.

WildBillSteel
08-03-2007, 01:16 PM
its just too early to judge......let ben have a couple decent seasons, prove last yr was a fluke, and mabe win another SB or 2, then we might have a more accurate picture of his future HOF chances.

SteelerSteve
08-09-2007, 01:37 AM
Undermanned team? Gimme a break, imo there are few teams that are more talented than ours:tt02: There is one thing that I have benn saying all along, Ben has all the tools to be an elite qb:Big time arm,good mobility,great size and strength, and he can make plays on the move. The tools are there and all he needs to do is bring it all together and theres no reason the hall of fame is out of the question, I just don't see whats not to like.

K Train
08-09-2007, 06:05 PM
freeney at 16? lol

stillers4me
08-09-2007, 08:16 PM
snicker........I hope Ben reads that list. You know what happens when he gets pissed off. :cope:

I read somewhere that he has a list of every team that passed him up in the draft and he crosses off the name when he beats them. I think all he has left is Jacksonville and one other one I can't recall.

NOVA STEELERS
08-17-2007, 12:02 PM
Ben will be the Franchise QB everyone expected on draft day, I believe his best days are yet to come...........