PDA

View Full Version : PM practice report: 2 August.....

DIESELMAN
08-02-2007, 10:40 PM
The Pittsburgh Steelers held their first night practice at the newly dedicated Chuck Noll Field here at Saint Vincent College Thursday, but it was a less-than-spirited effort.

http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/43/438224.jpg

The Pittsburgh Steelers held their first night practice at the newly dedicated Chuck Noll Field here at Saint Vincent College Thursday, but it was a less-than-spirited effort.

Even the goal-line drill, which is usually a raucous event, couldn’t pep up this practice.

The offense won this one, 4-3, scoring touchdowns on runs by Najeh Davenport and Brian Russell, and Brian St. Pierre passes to John Dekker and Matt Spaeth.

On Davenport’s TD run, he went through a hole created by Alan Faneca and through James Farrior at the goal line, though Farrior didn’t exactly deliver a big blow.

On the second attempt, Casey Hampton blew up the middle and opened things up for LaMarr Woodley to get into the backfield to stop Carey Davis.

Troy Polamalu delivered the only big hit of the drill on the next play, stopping Verron Haynes in the backfield.

Then, St. Pierre hit Dekker in the corner of the end zone before overthrowing Spaeth on the next play on play action.

Russell shot into the end zone untouched behind Willie Colon at right tackle on the next play and St. Pierre hooked up with Spaeth in the back of the end zone for the final score.

Willie Parker, James Harrison, Lawrence Timmons and Darnell Stapleton were out again today. In fact, head coach Mike Tomlin said Stapleton had an MRI that revealed a torn meniscus. He’ll undergo surgery and be out three weeks. That’s a tough break.

Marcello Church was a new addition to the injury list with a hamstring injury, while Chris Hoke was limited and did not partake in any contact drills today.

Watching the young defensive linemen today, I was impressed by Derrick Jones, who showed off some nice power moves. On one play, he got up under Brandon Torrey and one-arm tossed the big man to the ground to get to the quarterback.

He looks farther along at this point than fourth-round draft pick Ryan McBean, who doesn’t look as if he has that kind of power. At one point, Jason Capizzi stoned McBean, causing defensive line coach John Mitchell to exclaim, “You’ve got to grow up.”

Tomlin was there watching and told him to do it again. Capizzi again stoned him.

McBean did, however, look good using speed moves to get to the outside against Trai Essex. But he needs to get stronger.

Veteran Nick Eason looks like a rookie out there at times. It’s hard to believe this is a guy who has been in the league for five years. He struggles even against second and third-team talent. Chris Kemoeatu ate his lunch and asked for more on consecutive plays – though he did set up a nice stunt with Scott Paxson working against Torrey and Sean

Mahan that allowed Paxson to get to the QB. Another veteran who didn’t impress is Shaun Nua. He just doesn’t have any strength at the point of attack. I just don’t think he can cut it as a 3-4 end.
There's an opportunity for at least one of the young linemen to make this team. You would think McBean would get the nod at this point – having been a fourth-round pick. But Jones is pushing.

Nothin exciting.....we got guys on this team who have been floating collecting paychecks, Tomlin is watching everybody, 53 man roster cuts ain't that far away.

BlitzburghRockCity
08-02-2007, 10:45 PM
That's exactly right Diesel, these young guys that have been on the roster for years now and haven't done anything either because Cowher really didn't give them a chance or because they couldn't take advantage of the chances they did get, or both..are finding out now with a fair shot that they have no excuse left. It's time to put up or shut up!

Koopa
08-02-2007, 10:50 PM
i like the part about hampton opening it up and letting woodley stop the runner, i'm glad woodley is more then just a pass rusher

and it's good to see spaeth doing good in the endzone

and i haven't read one good thing about mcbean, i'm not expecting a thing from him, but it seems everytime they bring his name up it's negative, i think he'll make the team and be used on special teams for a few years since we are pretty much set on the d line for a few years anyway

i hope capizzi makes the team, groom him for a year and he can take over for starks, and colon can take over for faneca lol.......i like when we have young potential that we can watch grow, like willie parker lol

BlitzburghRockCity
08-02-2007, 10:56 PM
I was really hoping for big things from him. Maybe he'll just be a project that takes longer than we would have liked. If he atleast shows "some" promise then he'll be able to get himself a roster spot and improve over time but we'll see. Fortunately though you're right we have 3 solid starters as it is, a couple capable backups.

Black@Gold Forever32
08-02-2007, 11:07 PM
It sounds that McBean needs to just add some weight and strength...He is still a little light to play DE in a 3-4.....Remember its takes time for Dlineman and especially DEs to grasp the Steelers system.......

Aaron Smith didn't start his rookie year.......It took Brett Keisel a few seasons to really get comfortable.......I could go on but you get the picture...I also know the Steelers have had their share of flame outs also picking DEs for their 3-4......I just hope McBean isn't the next one....I'm not giving up on him.....It sounds though undrafted Derrick Jones is making more progress the McBean and Jones could make the final 53 with McBean on the practice squad.......

BlitzburghRockCity
08-02-2007, 11:10 PM
That's what worries me is that other than Hampton, Keisel, and Aaron Smith our draft picks on the DL have been less than stellar overall. If it weren't for Kimo all those years Im not sure what we'd have done.

If there's one area that definitely needs some developing of young talent in the future, its the DL. Hampton, Smith, and Keisel are as solid as they come. Kirschke is a good backup but has a chronic back, Hoke is a beast..we could just use some fresh young blood there to mix things up and keep the backups motivated.

Black@Gold Forever32
08-02-2007, 11:17 PM
That's what worries me is that other than Hampton, Keisel, and Aaron Smith our draft picks on the DL have been less than stellar overall. If it weren't for Kimo all those years Im not sure what we'd have done.

If there's one area that definitely needs some developing of young talent in the future, its the DL. Hampton, Smith, and Keisel are as solid as they come. Kirschke is a good backup but has a chronic back, Hoke is a beast..we could just use some fresh young blood there to mix things up and keep the backups motivated.

I agree the Steelers need some young blood bigtime at DE....Thats why I thought Adam Carriker might have been a wise move in the draft.......It seems taking later round guys isn't working for the most part....for every Aaron Smith there is two Shaun Nuas and Orien Harris.....:lol:

So one of these drafts the Steelers might have to spend a 1st or 2nd on a 3-4 type DE to get a legit prospect in here......

But lets not just throw McBean to the trash heap yet....It took guys like Keisel a few years to add some weight and learn the system......

SteelerSal
08-03-2007, 09:45 AM
He looks farther along at this point than fourth-round draft pick Ryan McBean, who doesn’t look as if he has that kind of power. At one point, Jason Capizzi stoned McBean, causing defensive line coach John Mitchell to exclaim, “You’ve got to grow up.”

Tomlin was there watching and told him to do it again. Capizzi again stoned him.

McBean did, however, look good using speed moves to get to the outside against Trai Essex. But he needs to get stronger.

I hope this is something that will make McBean dig alittle deeper and get his act together. Larry Johnson needed something like that and got it when Vermeil called him out in his rookie season and said it was time for him to take his diapers off.:lol:
Capizzi sounds like a keeper and Nick Eason was a wasted signing and is taking reps away from players that are better. Shaun Nau does'nt even deserve a pratice squad spot. He is just another of Cowhers day 2 draft wasted picks.

WildBillSteel
08-03-2007, 10:29 AM
i was in camp erlier this week and was really impressed with the Capizzi kid.......big, strong, decent feet for a a big man. I wanna see what he does in an actual game tho before i'm completely sold

BlackGold4vr
08-03-2007, 11:05 AM
i was in camp erlier this week and was really impressed with the Capizzi kid.......big, strong, decent feet for a a big man. I wanna see what he does in an actual game tho before i'm completely sold

Wait until this kid fills out that 6'9 frame. He will be scary big! I believe we have 2 players that wouldn't last an hour after we cut them before other teams snatched them up. Gary Russell and Jason Capizzi. Hope they both make the final 53 man roster because I believe these guys both have promising NFL careers ahead of them. Would hate to see these guys blossom into stars on someone elses team!

:helmet:

DIESELMAN
08-03-2007, 01:34 PM
I believe we have 2 players that wouldn't last an hour after we cut them before other teams snatched them up. Gary Russell and Jason Capizzi. Hope they both make the final 53 man roster because I believe these guys both have promising NFL careers ahead of them. Would hate to see these guys blossom into stars on someone elses team!

:helmet:

Most definitely :bigthumb: They've both showed a lot of promise so far, theres more then enough players that could take their place in the soup line :banana:

manofsteel
08-03-2007, 02:36 PM
Gonna being alot of cutting goin down. My Man big Casey Hampton is always gonna open holes, but I also like who came through it Woodley gonna make some heaes roll