PDA

View Full Version : AM practice report: August 1.....

DIESELMAN
08-01-2007, 02:09 PM
The Pittsburgh Steelers held their first practice of August Wednesday morning and itís beginning to look as if head coach Mike Tomlin is going to be somebody who is not to be trusted when it comes to talking about injuries.

http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/38/387730.jpg

The Pittsburgh Steelers held their first practice of August Wednesday morning and itís beginning to look as if head coach Mike Tomlin is going to be somebody who is not to be trusted when it comes to talking about injuries.

After Tomlin said running back Willie Parker was being held out of practice Tuesday for rest, Parker missed practice again this morning and had a large ice pack on his left knee while he spoke with trainer John Norwig.

Could be a bone contusion or just a little swelling Ė and thatís likely what it is Ė but when the head coach wonít talk about it, it sets off the reporter radar.

The same goes for linebacker James Harrison, who sat out again today with what Tomlin said Friday was just sore ribs. Those sore ribs have now kept Harrison out for nearly a week.

Travis Kirschke and Chris Hoke returned today after getting a day of rest Tuesday Ė though Hoke didnít do any team work.

Also out of action were Darnell Stapleton and, of course, Lawrence Timmons.

Hines Ward and Cedrick Wilson are definitely running as the first-team receivers right now. Santonio Holmes, Nate Washington and Willie Reid Ė who continues to look good Ė are next in line.

Reid made a tremendous catch just in front of the goal line on a Charlie Batch pass during team drills, leaping above safety Grant Mason to pull the ball away. He just needs to stay healthy.

Watching LaMarr Woodley drop into coverage, he still is not comfortable doing it. Heís just a half-step slow with his reads. But that will come with more experience.

Gary Russell is the best cutter among the running backs not named Willie Parker on this team. He can really turn it on a dime and cut back against the grain.
Mason, Troy Polamalu and Jovon Johnson had interceptions this morning, apparently earning themselves a little extra money in the process. It seems the linebackers and defensive backs have a little pool going for practice picks. I donít know if they count picks thrown by Bryan Randall.
After Johnsonís interception, which came on a tipped pass by Chidi Iwuoma Ė the last play of the morning practice Ė Wilson was definitely not happy. The veteran wideout let loose with a torrent of curse words, apparently feeling he was open in the end zone, while Charlie Batch threw the ball underneath for the interception.

Dale Lolley
For SteelCityInsider.com
Posted Aug 1, 2007

I hope Willie's knee is just from gettin banged around a little. Its good to hear Woodley might be slow in coverage but thats better then him being totally confused about it. Our WR's are going to be a force this year, I just hope Reid stays healthy, he'll do some damage on returns as well as 4 receiver sets.

ARKIESTEEL
08-01-2007, 02:13 PM
Hope FWP is ok .... maybe Mad Man Mike needs to slow them down just a hair

BlitzburghRockCity
08-01-2007, 06:38 PM
Sounds like Tomlin is taking a page out of the Bill Cowher injury reporting :rolleyes:

James Harrison better heal up and get in there, he's a starter for us and this is his year to step up and be counted on.

Koopa
08-01-2007, 07:25 PM
damn i hope gary russell makes the team........

DIESELMAN
08-01-2007, 07:54 PM
damn i hope gary russell makes the team........
Yeah you and me both....sounds like he's turned it around (:crossfingers:) and wants to play some football.