PDA

View Full Version : Whiz vs Mike

ARKIESTEEL
07-31-2007, 09:39 AM
At this point is there any here that still wish we had "The Whiz" instead of Mike T? Or for that matter Russ Grim?

I am pretty happy with what I have seen and heard out of this guy but if at mid season we are not doing well do you think the calls of wish we had one of the other guys will go out?

What do you think:dunno:

SteelerSal
07-31-2007, 09:59 AM
We needed change to shake the team up and add a spark.
I am really glad that Grimm was not chosen because I think he was way over rated in his coaching abilities and as for Whiz, I don't think he used all the weapons that the team has on offense properly ( Heath Miller in the passing game and keeping Parker in on 3rd downs).

Ambridge
07-31-2007, 10:06 AM
The ultimate indicator is the Wins and Losses and we wont know for sure until the real bullets start to fly on September 9.
I think it was a good move to get Mike Tomlin....start off a brand new era of Steelers football and get rid of all association to Bill Cowher.
On the other hand I'm concerned about the staff of unproven/unknown assistants Tomlin has surrounded himself which I hope was more of a Rooney/Colbert influence than Mike Tomlin's actual choices.

We should all expect some transitional pains this season so if the Steelers go 8-8---9-7 or hopefully better then I think that would be a respectable start for Tomlin's first season.

SteelerSal
07-31-2007, 10:10 AM
We should all expect some transitional pains this season so if the Steelers go 8-8---9-7 or hopefully better then I think that would be a respectable start for Tomlin's first season.

2 years removed from the Superbowl and the talent on our team, I expect to go deep into the playoffs and thats not the homer in me talking. :yesnod:

DBR96A
07-31-2007, 01:23 PM
If there's anyone who still thinks we made "the wrong choice," consider that when they Rooneys hire a new head coach, they NEVER hire from within (at least not when we've been successful). Chuck Noll was with the Baltimore Colts. Bill Cowher was with the Kansas City Chiefs. Mike Tomlin was with the Minnesota Vikings. I also remember how some Steeler fans were pissed that we didn't hire Joe Greene in 1992, and asked "Who is this f**kin' guy?!" when Cowher was hired. By the way, the answer is "a future Hall-of-Famer," that's who.

Also, if I had my way, anyone who dislikes the fact that we have a black head coach would be excommunicated from the fan base. There are 26 other NFL teams with white head coaches. CHOOSE ONE! Hell, Jon Gruden has blue eyes and blonde hair, which means he's as "pure" as you can get these days! Be a Buccaneers fan! "Heil Gruden!" Ignorant f**ks. Get over yourselves.

AZ_Steeler
07-31-2007, 01:25 PM
We needed change to shake the team up and add a spark..
:ditto: I was pushing for Whiz but after Tomlin was hired this is what I was thinking too!

Last year it seemed like the Steelers forgot how to play or just expected to not put in much effort during the week and then show up on Sunday and win. By the time they realized they couldn't do that it was to late. Tomlin has come in and got the fire going again that was starting to go out! I'm really liking Tomlin more and more everyday. I don't know if he's just a good smoke blower or what but his record will be the ultimate indicator :bigthumb:

:cope:

Iron City South
07-31-2007, 01:33 PM
I originally wanted Whiz too .... but after he left and we started to finally hear about all the areas of entitlement and complacency that has been permiating within this team under a comfortable Cowher (who I'll never forgive "checking-out" on us)

I'm glad it was an outsider rather than internal .... :tt02:

BlackGold4vr
07-31-2007, 01:39 PM
Also, if I had my way, anyone who dislikes the fact that we have a black head coach would be excommunicated from the fan base. There are 26 other NFL teams with white head coaches. CHOOSE ONE! Hell, Jon Gruden has blue eyes and blonde hair, which means he's as "pure" as you can get these days! Be a Buccaneers fan! "Heil Gruden!" Ignorant f**ks. Get over yourselves.

I agree with most of what you said in your post about the hiring of Mike Tomlin. I support him 100% and think he was an excellent choice! I am not sure where all the hostility is coming from and where these people are who are dissappointed because Tomlin is black? I have been an active member of this site since January and I don't recall seeing this racism that your post reeks of. Could you please refer the rest of us to this racism that you have detected because I have seen none of it. If anyone has questioned his hiring on this site it is because he is unproven as a head coach and has nothing to do with his race. I think you need a valium. Put the race card away you don't need that here. :nono:

DIESELMAN
07-31-2007, 01:44 PM
Hiring Tomlin is basically the same as when we went outside to get Cowher. We have never hired from within as far as HC's go. I remember all the doubts that were raised when Cowher got hired, he put them to rest in his first season when we went 11-5. I really don't think Tomlin has to have the same first season as Cowher to be successful or even make the playoffs for that matter.

steelersgal86
07-31-2007, 01:51 PM
I agree with most of what you said in your post about the hiring of Mike Tomlin. I support him 100% and think he was an excellent choice! I am not sure where all the hostility is coming from and where these people are who are dissappointed because Tomlin is black? I have been an active member of this site since January and I don't recall seeing this racism that your post reeks of. Could you please refer the rest of us to this racism that you have detected because I have seen none of it. If anyone has questioned his hiring on this site it is because he is unproven as a head coach and has nothing to do with his race. I think you need a valium. Put the race card away you don't need that here. :nono:

:ditto: I was thinking the same thing!!!

DBR96A
07-31-2007, 01:51 PM

I was speaking in general, not specifically about this board. Some of the clods over on Stillers.com "don't take too kindly to them coloreds." Other evidence I have is anecdotal. Not saying it's a widespread problem, but unfortunately, there are a handful of ignoramuses out there, and they run the risk of making the entire fan base look bad.

BlitzburghRockCity
07-31-2007, 01:53 PM
Nobody hear cares whether Tomlin is black,white, or green. That's never an issue with this forum. As long as he does the job he's been appointed to do that's the bottom line.

I remember the media making a huge deal out of the Rooneys hiring a black head coach, the Rooney Rule, and all of that but nobody on this forum cares. All we want is for him to get us back to glory !

TEEMONT
07-31-2007, 02:07 PM
I wish Tomlin was a little darker actually.....lol.

BlitzburghRockCity
07-31-2007, 02:08 PM

:greenkick: :lol:

BlackGold4vr
07-31-2007, 02:09 PM

Troublemaker.......:stirpot:

TEEMONT
07-31-2007, 02:17 PM
no seriously...he looks like he needs a tan....I just dont want the dude looking unhealthy. lol

Black@Gold Forever32
07-31-2007, 03:36 PM
I wanted Whisenhunt at first......But after Tomlin came out of nowhere and became a serious candidate for the HC job then I wanted Tomlin....I like everything I have heard and read about Mike Tomlin so far....I like the style of camp he runs......I don't care what color he is......I don't look at skin color anyway....You cut the man open he bleeds red just like me........

SteelerSal
07-31-2007, 03:45 PM
You cut the man open he bleeds red just like me........

B@G you got that wrong, Tomlin now bleeds Black and Gold like we do.:bigthumb:

Koopa
07-31-2007, 03:47 PM
at first i wanted whiz, but then after he left i wanted tomlin cause i hate grimm, he's a fat *** that will never make it as a head coach lol.......... and whiz, like most of the coaches that coached under cowher, will flop big time and will be fired in 3 years, while tomlin will be with us for at least 10 cause the rooney's are to lazy to hire coaches :lol:

Black@Gold Forever32
07-31-2007, 03:58 PM
B@G you got that wrong, Tomlin now bleeds Black and Gold like we do.:bigthumb:

You're right....silly me.......:tt02::tt02::tt02:
***AutoMerged Post Below...***

at first i wanted whiz, but then after he left i wanted tomlin cause i hate grimm, he's a fat *** that will never make it as a head coach lol.......... and whiz, like most of the coaches that coached under cowher, will flop big time and will be fired in 3 years, while tomlin will be with us for at least 10 cause the rooney's are to lazy to hire coaches :lol:

Grimm's a tool...I'm glad he is gone....So I was with you on that Koopa....I think the new Oline coach is a better teacher then Grimm. It sounds Larry Zierlein is teaching fundamentals to the Olineman that Grimm didn't....

BLACKNGOLD4LIFE
07-31-2007, 07:06 PM
well i wanted whiz also but when he took the arizona job i wanted tomlin because i'm still not convince grimm can get the job done....................i felt the same way when they hired cowher who the f--k is this guy but he proved 2 b an ok coach......................now fans don't jump on the guy 4 giving his opinion he was keeping it real.....................if u r offended then look in the mirror................................because we all know what's gonna happen if tomlin has an bad season, anyway with the talent we have we should b 12-4 if no major injuries occur this year with that being said i can't wait 2 we get 2 c the NEW AN IMPROVED STEELERS sunday

BlitzburghNation
07-31-2007, 07:48 PM
I wanted thw "whiz" at 1st,,,,,,,,,:scratch:

Then after hearing players brag about tomlin on sirius,I then realized we probably got the right guy for the job~~~ :bigthumb:

Only time will tell :popcorn:

Black@Gold Forever32
07-31-2007, 07:52 PM
I'm betting on the Rooney's track record of picking coaches......

Its safe to say Noll and Cowher were great choices...

Yes I have knocked Cowher myself but he had a very good career overall and I'm thankful for what he did for the Steelers.....I was huge Cowher fan growing up....Just got tired of lossing AFC title games at Pittsburgh...lol

Plus I thought it was just time for a change......and this breath of fresh air was needed....

Stlrs4Life
07-31-2007, 10:35 PM
I think it is way too early to tell.

DIESELMAN
07-31-2007, 10:44 PM

Yeah but its got to be better then having a coach who tolerates mediocrity and piling useless playbooks on top of useless playbooks (15 years worth).

BmoreSteelers
08-02-2007, 11:59 AM

It is very early. But I like what I have seen so far. Tomlin is saying all the right things. Doing all the right things. And making the players well aware of who is in charge. I think the past few years under Cowher he just kind of let them slide with whatever. And under Whiz and Grimm I would bet it would be the same way. Get back to the old days, get back to the Oklahoma Drill. :helmet:

WildBillSteel
08-02-2007, 12:09 PM

True, but so far so good i'd say. Vike's fans thoguht good of him and were upset when he left.

manofsteel
08-02-2007, 07:07 PM
I like when we look outside it keeps things fresh. WHiz and Russ might of kept things too much the same. They were both molded by Cowher. WHo I wish we could have had more interviews with Was Ron Riviera. He might have been great here. Same style teams and similar cities might have been a good move for us. I will say I was sketchy about Tomlin but after a week in camp and a pretty good draft hes makink the right moves and making me a beleiver

SteelerSteve
08-02-2007, 08:50 PM
I have to admit that I was alittle upset about not getting wiz at first, but the more I heard about tomlin the more I liked what I saw. As for grimm I think hes a great coordinator, HC? i'm not so sure:2cents: