PDA

View Full Version : Week 2 offers unique challenges

Deb
07-31-2007, 06:39 AM
Week 2 offers unique challenges

http://media3.steelers.com/MediaContent//2007/07/25/10/TC_725_Tomlin_Ward_78625.jpg

Monday, July 30, 2007
By BOB LABRIOLA
Steelers.comLATROBE, Pa. From Coach Mike Tomlin's viewpoint, now is when it gets interesting.
The first week of training camp is over, and the drudgery has begun to set in. The weather is getting hotter and muggier. There is a game on the horizon, but it's not until Sunday, which is still four days and eight practices away.

Tomlin said he was pleased with the progress that has been made so far, and he backed up those words by shortening each of Monday's two practices.

"Yeah, I'm a nice guy," cracked Tomlin. "But no, these guys are working extremely hard. You'd anticipate that. It's easy to subtract; it's tough to add. When we were putting the (practice) schedule together we had that in mind. They've met certain criteria, they've done that and then some. They're playing with great energy and enthusiasm, and we want to throw them a bone every now and then."

When asked what has pleased him in particular, Tomlin pointed to the overall competitive nature of the players as individuals and as parts of their respective units.

"I liked the ebb and flow," said Tomlin. "We were giving up some deep balls on defense, and we have to make that disappear. But at the same time if you're doing that it means the offense is executing. We turned the ball over some offensively, we had a couple of interceptions this morning, but if we're doing that it means the defense is getting it done. Ebb and flow is a sign of the football team competing, and we're going to keep moving forward."

With the team now in its second week of training camp, and with the first of five preseason games looming, interest is focusing on battles for both roster spots and then roles within the schemes. Before camp Tomlin said there would be no rush to judgment on any of that, and one week into it he hasn't wavered.

"We have to let it play out. We can't come out here with any pre-conceived notions because then you're not giving the men an opportunity to show what they're capable of," said Tomlin. "We start playing preseason games on Sunday. If we're patient enough the picture will become crystal clear."

LINK (http://news.steelers.com/article/79117/)

DIESELMAN
07-31-2007, 07:27 AM
"We have to let it play out. We can't come out here with any pre-conceived notions because then you're not giving the men an opportunity to show what they're capable of," said Tomlin.

Best thing I 've heard so far, unlike a certain coach that used to be here, Tomlin is letting everyone know....if you want to start, you will have to earn it and show me something.

Ambridge
07-31-2007, 08:33 AM
"I liked the ebb and flow," said Tomlin.

Sounds like Tomlin has been reading the Bill Cowher Book of Catch Phrases.

AZ_Steeler
07-31-2007, 12:16 PM
You can definitely tell Tomlin is defensive minded... everything he talks about is the defense did this the defense did that and then he throws in "BUT that mean the offense is executing" :bigthumb:

How long until we see the 3-4 with a little cover 2? :dunno: