PDA

View Full Version : Starters in preseason games...how much time?

BlitzburghRockCity
07-30-2007, 05:04 PM
Just thinking about the HOF game this weekend, and then about past preseasons under BC, it got me thinking about starters in the preseason. Whats your ideal playing time for starters in these meaningless games.

As far as records go they are meaningless but as far as building your team, installing the basic offense and defense, getting timing down, working together, and all of that they are crucial.

With 4 preseason games normally I usually like:

Game 1: starters play most of the first quarter
Game 2: starters play all of the first quarter and part of the 2nd
Game 3: starters play the first half, possibly part way into the 2nd half
Game 4: Starters play most of the first half then get off the field.

With 5 games now it does help especially with having a new coach, but I just hate having all those games and risking injury before the season starts.

Black@Gold Forever32
07-30-2007, 05:09 PM
Its an interesting question...Some coaches play their starters longer then others in pre-season games.....I think 1 quarter at the most is enough for the first game......

AZ_Steeler
07-30-2007, 05:15 PM
Just enough to get comfortable, but not so much that they run the risk of getting injured! :D Now it's just a matter of finding out how much time that really is!

I tend to look at time played in series as opposed quarters because the offense/defense could potentially only get 1 series in the first quarter. With 5 games this year I would be happy with a two series for the starters in this first game, after that:

Game 2: 4 series
Game 3: Entire first half
Game 4: Entire first half, plus 2-3 series of the second half
Game 5: 4-6 series just to keep fresh and get ready for opening weekend.

BlitzburghRockCity
07-30-2007, 05:16 PM
Yeah the first game, I think that's enough too. The guys are all fired up so and haven't had any game time in like 6 months atleast so you have to limit their time at first and then ease them into more as conditioning and game plan implementation, etc. increase during camp.

I just hate seeing the starters pulled so early in almost every game in the BC era in preseason. By the time the season started the starters had virtually no playing time.

SteelerSal
07-30-2007, 05:18 PM
I'm glad they have 5 preseason games since they have a new head coach and offensive coordinater. It will give them one more week of learning the new offense in real game situations.
I would like to see the first team play one qaurter, the first two games.
Game three and four, play at least 6 offensive and defensive series.
Last game play three qaurters then let the guys fighting for the last roster spots go at it.

Black@Gold Forever32
07-30-2007, 05:32 PM
Yeah the first game, I think that's enough too. The guys are all fired up so and haven't had any game time in like 6 months atleast so you have to limit their time at first and then ease them into more as conditioning and game plan implementation, etc. increase during camp.

I just hate seeing the starters pulled so early in almost every game in the BC era in preseason. By the time the season started the starters had virtually no playing time.

I agree Cowher pulled his starters to early all the time in the pre-season...But It totally understood why since he didn't want to lose anybody to injury in a meaningless game.....

DIESELMAN
07-30-2007, 06:08 PM
Injuries are going to happen no matter what, you can have someone sit for 90% of the preseason and then come out and get hurt on the first snap of the regular season. I'm not sayin play every preseason game but they need to put their time in to get used to the game speed and getting and bein hit. Most often then not, injuries happen when players get apprehensive and scared of hitting and being hit.

SteelerSteve
08-02-2007, 09:04 PM
Injuries are going to happen no matter what, you can have someone sit for 90% of the preseason and then come out and get hurt on the first snap of the regular season. I'm not sayin play every preseason game but they need to put their time in to get used to the game speed and getting and bein hit. Most often then not, injuries happen when players get apprehensive and scared of hitting and being hit. IMO Brett Favre should retire then give bone marrow transplants to all of our starters:bluelol::lol::bluelol:

Stlrs4Life
08-02-2007, 10:17 PM
Being that we have 5 games, I play them 2 series each in the 1st Qtr. And expand from there. We have alot of young guys that need game speed reps.

kgreen
08-02-2007, 11:30 PM
Let them play 2-3 series.

BlackGold4vr
08-03-2007, 12:33 AM
Injuries are going to happen no matter what, you can have someone sit for 90% of the preseason and then come out and get hurt on the first snap of the regular season. I'm not sayin play every preseason game but they need to put their time in to get used to the game speed and getting and bein hit. Most often then not, injuries happen when players get apprehensive and scared of hitting and being hit.

:ditto:

I believe football players need battle hardened before the season begins. Contact is the only way that can happen. When I was still on active duty in the Marines we were required to participate in the Marine Corps Martial Arts Program. Advancement through the different levels required that we learn and demonstrate proficiency in techniques designed to hurt people with extreme prejudice. Each day before classes resumed we had to complete a warm-up series of exercises that were coined "battle hardening" exercises. The purpose of these warm-ups was to fatigue and harden all of the striking surfaces of the body (forearms, shins and upper thighs) by repetitive striking of these surfaces against hard objects. After the first couple of days of doing these exercises I found myself so sore that I was thinking death might be a nice alternative to continuing these exercises. The point to my ramblings is that by the end of the week these exercises no longer hurt and these striking surfaces of the body had actually become "battle hardened". At that time you realized that the only way that you could have ever reached that battle hardened state was through the gauntlet of painful exercises that you were forced to participate in. Training camp is not only designed to work on synchronizing the offense and defenses abilities to execute the plays but to get their bodies battle hardened. No way to escape the battle hardening. Players can either accomplish this in training camp through tough practices and pre-season games or wait for the brutal and savage contact that will come when the regular season starts. But their are no short cuts to reaching this state. Contact and more contact. Injuries are a part of contact sports and playing not to get injured is the fastest way to be injured. Thats my 2 cents worth. :2cents:

WildBillSteel
08-03-2007, 09:14 AM
i say they play a little more than they did under Cowher.......a couple series to get some gametime reps + timing. more players get hurt in practice in the preseason than in games any way

manofsteel
08-03-2007, 02:35 PM
Ill say starters this game should play 2 to 3 series

Stlrs4Life
08-03-2007, 03:52 PM
Here's your answer Top Gun:

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_520534.html (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/news/breaking/s_520534.html)

Davenport to start, Ben to see limited duty Sunday
By Joe Starkey
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Friday, August 3, 2007

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin plans to play his starters 12-15 snaps in the preseason opener Sunday against the New Orleans Saints in Canton, Ohio.

Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger might only play a series.

"It's our intention to play Ben a little less than most of the starters and go with Charlie Batch after that," Tomlin said Friday at a news conference in Latrobe.

Najeh Davenport will start at tailback, in place of Willie Parker (inflammation, left knee). Others who will sit out include rookie outside linebacker Lawrence Timmons (groin), inside linebacker Derek Rehage (thumb) and offensive lineman Darnell Stapleton (knee).

Tomlin did not rule out right outside linebacker James Harrison (ribs), but if Harrison doesn't play, as seems likely, Clark Haggans will switch to the right side and rookie LaMarr Woodley will start on the left side.

Tomlin said Willie Reid will return punts and be the primary kick-return man to start the game. Ryan Clark will start at free safety, ahead of Anthony Smith, and Deshea Townsend at right cornerback, ahead of Bryant McFadden.

"Those guys are extremely consistent," Tomlin said of Townsend and Clark. "You know what you'll get from them."

In addition, offensive coordinator Bruce Arians will work on the field, not the press box. That is his preference. Many offensive coordinators work from the press box, but Arians also worked from the field when he was the Cleveland Browns' offensive coordinator.

"You can't cook from the living room," Tomlin said.

The quarterback rotation will see Batch followed by Brian St. Pierre, followed by Bryan Randall.