View Full Version : Steelers' Hampton takes shot at fullback

Stlrs4Life
07-30-2007, 05:00 PM
http://pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_519649.html

Steelers' Hampton takes shot at fullback
By Mike Prisuta
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Monday, July 30, 2007

Linebacker Lawrence Timmons (groin), tight end Matt Spaeth (shoulder) and linebacker James Harrison (ribs) didn't practice on Sunday afternoon. Wide receiver Santonio Holmes was back to full-time work (football pants) after returning to the field in a partial capacity (shorts) on Saturday.
• Nose tackle Casey Hampton got a crack at becoming a 325-pound fullback in the practice-concluding goal-line drill and was cracked by linebacker Clint Kriewaldt while leading on a carry by running back Najeh Davenport that went nowhere.

"Clint blew his (behind) up," linebacker James Farrior said. "He didn't rock me," Hampton said of Kriewaldt. "He did his job, though."

He did it well enough to make fullback a one-and-done position for Hampton.

"I'm probably gonna retire after that one," Hampton said. "I've been begging to do it, but I don't think I want to anymore."
• Davenport and Verron Haynes remain the leading candidates to emerge as the Steelers' third-down back, but Willie Parker would like a shot at remaining on the field for all three downs. Parker distinguished himself in another one-on-one blocking drill yesterday, "backs on defensive backs," by stuffing safety Tyrone Carter and pancaking cornerback Ike Taylor, all under the watchful eye of coach Mike Tomlin.

• "The offense pounds us one day, and the next day we come back against them. It's been really good. I think the offensive line's doing a great job, and we're trying to do our thing on the defensive line. It's been back and forth all camp."
- Defensive end Brett Keisel on which unit is getting the better of the other in practice.

BlitzburghRockCity
07-30-2007, 09:36 PM
It's the Fridge, all over again :lol:

SteelersWoman
07-31-2007, 09:36 PM
I'd have loved to've seen that! lol

DIESELMAN
07-31-2007, 09:41 PM
I read somewhere, Casey made a big hole, but he was still in it, so Najeh couldn't get though it :lol: